• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS and Switch. It's hard to go back.

entremet

Although I game on all consoles and some PC and mobile, I'm mostly a Nintendo fan in terms of time spent on games. I do enjoy my PS4 and XB1 a lot and my Vita still gets decent use due to its excellent indie support.

Recently, I was able to get a Switch via the Prime member deal. Hardware wise it's definitely the best iteration of the handheld concept for me, mostly based on the huge screen, to be honest.

However, while the last Nintendo Direct showed a lot of promising 3DS titles, I'm having a hard to going back to my 3DS. I still need to finish DQVIIIr, and while an excellent port, the smaller screens and lower fidelity hardware makes it difficult. And the 3DS does have a lot of excellent exclusives that I'm still looking to get.

Do you find it hard going back to the 3DS, or other older handhelds due to the nice big screens of the Switch?

Are 3DS ports something you see Nintendo doing to pad out the Switch library?

Do you find it hard going back to the 3DS, or other older handhelds due to the nice big screens of the Switch?

Not at all, although I have saw this sentiment over the last month or so, so you're not alone. I still really like the 3ds though and no issues switching over to play Yokai Watch or whatever.

Had my Wii U on for the first time in awhile actually and no issues there either so I guess this stuff just isn't a big thing to me mentally, I can Switch back and forth readily.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nah, I think the 3DS screen is ok for what it is which is probably why I don't have such hard time going back to it

Kade

I started bringing my 3DS on my commute now that I've completed Breath of the Wild and it honestly wasn't that difficult for me to go back. When I picked up my New 3DS XL again it felt really weird but it felt fine after playing a game for a few minutes.

MrGoomba

Yes I want to finish some things in Pokemon Moon and start playing DQVIII.. but now I kind of hope they got a new release on Switch

xboxster

I don't find it hard going back, but I certainly wish some of these games would come to the Switch. It also doesn't hurt that Switch releases are spread out, so when I done with, say, Bomberman, I can go back and play any of the dozens of games I've yet to play on 3DS.

cyba89

I have no problem going back. Finished with Zelda so I went back playing Pokémon Moon without problems.

With the all the great 3DS games, the DS backwards compatibility, the Gameboy Virtual Console and the GBA games I have from the Ambadassor thing I will never get rid of it.

Cartho

I own a Switch and love it. Tried playing on my mate's 3DS the other day and it felt so uncomfortable so quickly. Forgetting docked mode for a minute, as the next handheld console from Nintendo, Switch is one of the biggest generational leaps I've encountered. From comfort to build quality and visuals, it's a MASSIVE leap over the 3DS. While the gap between it and Wii U might be relatively small when docked, as a handheld - it's like something from another planet. I think I'd struggle to go back to a 3DS if I owned one, judging by what my mate's one feels like.

Shahed

After playing Zelda on Switch, I can safely say I'll never play on my N3DS again. It's not just the graphical leap, but the quality of the hardware and how much better is to play on it.

As for finding going back to 3DS or other handhelds after Switch, that's not really a new thing. Playing on 3DS was always difficult after Vita and most modern phones. Playing on both 3DS and Vita felt like such a downgrade after PS4 and so on. It affect trailers too. When you see say bunch of trailers for random game back to back say in an award list of Top 10, whenever a 3DS game appeared it was incredibly jarring

anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.

No I don't. I'd play retro games on newer systems, but never on an older one. Sure the graphics take some getting used to, but they're really that much of an issue and I will happily play older games again or the first time. I just won't play them on said older systems. It's why the whole idea of NES and SNES mini means nothing to me. I'd rather have same games on Switch instead

Vitacat

anyone answering yes please also state if you ever play retro games on older systems or not.

I love the Switch, but I still enjoy my 3DS and have no problem going back to it.

I also still play retrogames, and often play old games instead of new ones even though I own all the current consoles and a good PC.

But, FWIW I'm also pretty old, and am a sucker for classic CRT scanlines. :-/

entremet

After playing Zelda on Switch, I can safely say I'll never play on my N3DS again. It's not just the graphical leap, but the quality of the hardware and how much better is to play on it.

As for finding going back to 3DS or other handhelds after Switch, that's not really a new thing. Playing on 3DS was always difficult after Vita and most modern phones. Playing on both 3DS and Vita felt like such a downgrade after PS4 and so on. It affect trailers too. When you see say bunch of trailers for random game back to back say in an award list of Top 10, whenever a 3DS game appeared it was incredibly jarring

Yeah. It's not just the graphical leap, but the build quality of the Switch is much higher.

I still think Nintendo's 8th generation industrial designs were poor. Seventh generation, Wii and DS (at least starting with the DSLite) were great feeling and looking machines in terms of their design.

Wii U/OG 3DS were huge regressions.

Zalman

I have no problems going back. Lower resolutions don't bother me. And the XL screens are big enough for me.

kunonabi

Nope, 3DS games still look just fine to me and the better form factor still makes it more appealing for portable use. The Switch screen is gorgeous though.

The 3DS is dead to me im trying to sell all my stuff and maybe get a switch down the road. Unlike most I hate the 3DS and even good games are ruined by its awfulness, my hand cramps in like 2 min of use and i even got a grip and it helps push that to 3 min all while being an XL. Worst Nintendo handheld I ever had in that department and it ruined games.

Shahed

Yeah. It's not just the graphical leap, but the build quality of the Switch is much higher.

I still think Nintendo's 8th generation industrial designs were poor. Seventh generation, Wii and DS (at least starting with the DSLite) were great feeling and looking machines in terms of their design.

Yep. The act of playing game on 3DS (and to a lesser extent Vita) just weren't as comfortable. Switch is much better, especially for since I can play said game on a TV with the Pro controller. The graphical upgrade is very welcome, but not the main thing

Ah that's interesting, shines more of a light of why you struggle now. I love the build quality and designs of the 3ds and even the Wii U (probably in the minority there though). Comfortable to use, confident to leave with the child etc. Switch is nice too but no aversion to the others in that regard here.

Charadis

I actually went back after about a week and a half. Hardly touch the Switch right now, there's just not a lot of apps, and the games I'm interested in are still coming out for the 3DS.

I still pick up the Switch every now and then, but my 3DSs are still as much in play as previously, if not slightly less.

I still play Pokémon and Mario Maker on my 3DS. I don't find it hard to go back, but I've also not gotten to experience either series on the Switch yet, so the 3DS graphics is all I've come to expect from them at this point. Probably won't be buying anymore games for my 3DS, though.

branny

It was already hard to play games on 3DS while having the Vita. The screen is just absolutely garbage.
Some games like Xenoblade Chronicles always looked like low-resolution nightmares to me on the n3DS XL regardless of other handhelds. Even the screen on the Wii U gamepad is so depressing. :(

In any case, I enjoyed the 3DS and Vita simultaneously just fine before the Switch came out, so I don't suddenly feel like the 3DS is hard to go back to. It's not like a GameBoy Color or something where you don't even have a backlight…

Berordn

I greatly prefer the Switch, it's just more comfortable to hold and pleasing to look at.

But I haven't had any real issue going back to the 3DS either. The Switch is far superior but the 3DS still works for me.

DNAbro

I've been thinking of selling my New 3DS to buy a couple of Switch games but there are definitely some things I stopping me.

1. It's a Majora's Mask 3DS XL which is like one of my fav games of all time
2. I may want to replay Pokemon Sun and Majora's Mask
3. Atlus is still releasing games on it and I kind of want Radiant Historia and SMT Deep Strange Journey
4. Lots of digital games on it.

I can play fine on it, I just much rather play on Switch.

100% agreed.

KHlover

Banned
Same here, haven't played any 3DS games since Switch was released. I'll have to dig it out for FE Echoes tho. Sure hope we'll get a Monster Hunter XX port for the Switch in the West, having two analog sticks like in MH3U on WiiU would be a godsend.

Re legacy hardware: I don't, I play older games on emulators. Especially with 3D games I could never go back to playing on OG hardware. The thought of playing Wii or Gamecube games in 480p at most makes me shudder.

m00h

Banned
I love the 3D on the 3DS and I miss it on the Switch. The plain 2D on the 3DS was horrible in comparison to the Switch.

oti

Banned
I'm playing the new Fire Emblem for review on 3DS after ~130h of Switch. No issues going back whatsoever. If the game you're playing is fun, who cares.

ksamedi

I can go back, but I moved on and lost interest. I have limited playtime so I put my focus on Switch and the ocassional big ps4 release.

I accept the 3ds for what it is but it reminds me a bit of the Wii in that the visuals are held back tremendously. I really wish Nintendo made a better decision on the screens.

andymcc

Banned

Sure, probably more than most (including you!) but that's on a 36 inch trinitron and I really don't have that great of an affinity for many retro handheld games. Don't see myself going back to the 3ds unless we get the Sega classics vol. 2 in America.

rNilla

Yes but mostly because I want to play everything on the Switch.

Bring Kirby, Box Boy, Mario Sports, etc. to the Switch.

Bring Everything, Full Throttle, Flinthook, Kimmy, all the indies to the Switch.

Bring Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Yoshi's Wooly World, all the Wii U games to the Switch.

Gimme.

Haven't had any issues going back so far. 3D has always been a unique enough visual feature to me that the lower resolution is less noticeable.

Texture quality and filtering is probably the most noticeable difference for me. MH's presentation has always been slightly ruined by terrible texture quality (except 3G ironically), but the Switch hasn't made these anymore glaring. The 3DS was always fairly weak hardware that was able to produce a few standout games visually (Revelations remains a visual treat to this day). Low quality 3D games look absolutely terrible, and I expect that to change on Switch with easier access to well performing middleware engines, but I never played those games anyway.

I still play 3DS, and will continue to as long as it continues to get games I'm interested in, and as long as I still have games to play on it. Even then, there are many great games I would love to replay on the system, so I'll keep playing it for a long time to come.

The Switch is a great console, but it will take a long time to build up the varied library that 3DS has. Honestly I could've waited to get a Switch, but I got a good trade in deal on my Xbox One that I couldn't pass up. Now that I have it I love it, but I have no problem playing older stuff.

RRockman

Banned
Lol no. Bout to fly on back when that fire emblem comes out. To me, If the games are good then screen form factor should not be an issue.

The 3DS hardware has always be subpar to me; it's just that it's the only way I can play some of its great exclusives. I'd readily play all of its games on Citra if the emulator were mature enough.

Auron

Yes. The Switch has replaced my 3DS for handheld gaming. I do not plan on buying any additional 3DS titles.

Rodin

I mean, there's clearly a huge difference but i have no real problem going back. FE Echoes is my most anticipated game right now, and i'm going to pick up both SMT IV Apocalypse and DQVIII soon.

SeanR1221

I'm with you. I tried playing a few games and I couldn't take the extremely slow OS, the low resolution screen and the uncomfortable feeling console.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

yes, 100%. I canceled all my 3DS pre-orders actually and even though I'd love to play the fire emblem game, I won't buy it.

I tried going back to play some pokemon..but I just can't stand that screen anymore.

I'll be buying FE and Pikmin as well as some others. Plus I have active New Leaf and Pokémon games.

I still really like the 3DS. Something about the clamshell design is really appealing. And I'm going to miss the dual screens. But when AC and Pokémon hit the Switch, I think that'll spell the end of my regular 3DS playing.

However I still play games on old systems pretty commonly so I'll come back to 3DS for some single player experiences eventually without a doubt.

Not really. The 3DS is a legit portable system, whereas the Switch is too large, fragile, expensive and cumbersome to really fill the same niche. The thing cost almost $500 Australian, so I really don't see myself ever leaving the house with it. I don't really really mind the lower quality screen, since I'm usually playing stuff like Picross or an Ace Attorney game anyway.

Top Bottom