• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

fester

Banned
2004495038289137556_rs.jpg

Are those extra cup holders or ass-blasting speakers that driver and passenger sit on?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A number doesn't visually show you how fast your speed and RPMs are changing and at what rate.

There's a reason even the newest airplane cockpits have dials for many of the readouts and always will. Some of these also include a digital readout but the dial remains and pilots insist on it.

Lots of cars in the 80s and 90s went back to dials from digital speedometers and tachometers for this every reason. Digital speed/tach existed way before color LCD screens in cars and flopped for good reason. Do not talk about digital speed/tach as a new tech.

Edit: Here's a really fun article depicting the terrible digital dashboards of the 1980s: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/08/flash-dance-digital-dashboards-of-1980s.html

ZIFUR4f.jpg
80's futurism might have been aesthetically pleasing, but it certainly wasn't practical. I don't think I can read a single one of those dashes.

They have been trying to get people to see the $35k car and the $70k car as different cars where one is better for awhile now. The Osborne Effect is a real thing guys.

Judging from the temporary return of free Supercharging as a promotion I would say quarterly numbers for S/X sales are looking soft in the run-up to the 3 launch. If you're after an S, you have another chance at free Supercharging but now that they have brought it back once who knows how many times they'll bring it back again the future to juice S/X sales.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
For anyone who cares, the 3 having a 5.6s 0-60 is now confirmed as accurate:
http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3-will-do-0-60-in-5-6-seconds-1795518431

This means it's only slightly slower than the S 75 which does the same thing in 5.2 seconds.

If history is any indicator, it's possible the AWD 3 will have a 0-60 in the 4's.

Elon said there would be a Ludicrous 3 awhile back but who knows when that will be at this point.

Could be under 4 seconds for around 50k. Now I just need 50k :)

My wife has a preorder in for the Model 3. She plans on splurging for the battery upgrades, but not sure if she wants to wait on the AWD option or not.

Is this new? Tesla sending employees a brochure comparing Model S with Model 3. More specs and detail reveal on what to expect (and what not to expect).

https://electrek.co/2017/05/22/tesla-model-3-100-configurations/

PGztsIQ.png

What's Tesla's goal with this infographic? To highlight how shitty (in comparison) the Model 3 is? As a future Model 3 owner, this just makes the 3 look bad.

I mean, it has to be intentional. Why would they say <100 instead of saying "nearly 100" or whatever? I guess it doesn't really matter what they say, considering they're comparing it to a Model S anyway. Just odd.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
What's Tesla's goal with this infographic? To highlight how shitty (in comparison) the Model 3 is? As a future Model 3 owner, this just makes the 3 look bad.

The point is to sell people an S that can afford one now. You have to pay double, but you get a better car in almost every aspect. Selling an S now is far more valuable to Tesla, since the 3's backlog will be there for a couple years, at least.

So when is the next update on this thing? When's first delivery?

July for both.

Al-ibn Kermit

I mean, it has to be intentional. Why would they say <100 instead of saying "nearly 100" or whatever? I guess it doesn't really matter what they say, considering they're comparing it to a Model S anyway. Just odd.

It's so people don't assume the Model 3 is the successor the Model S. The profit margin on the 3 is lower obviously since it aims to be (one of) the first affordable EVs with a long range.

The Model S meanwhile has a very similar battery pack but costs $35,000 more so Tesla wants to sell as many of those as they can. I'd argue the S doesn't offer as much luxury as other cars in its price range tho.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

They can't actually sell any model 3's for awhile, while the S's are ready to move. And there is probably more profit margin on the S. The 3 is too close in features to the model that costs twice as much.

I've had the Model 3 pre-ordered since day one and that info graphic literally just turned me off and am thinking of putting my money into a different car now. Whose fucking stupid idea was that?

Their goal is to dig the pre-order queue for sales on cars they actually have available for sale. Based on the graphics the aim is to make the Model S look more than worth the extra money. If I was a cynic I'd say that they don't make enough $ on the Model 3 per car and are worried.

Quixzlizx

I've had the Model 3 pre-ordered since day one and that info graphic literally just turned me off and am thinking of putting my money into a different car now. Whose fucking stupid idea was that?

You're going to have a hard time finding a car if you refuse to patronize any company whose more expensive products are better than their less expensive products.

Maybe you can travel back in time and buy a Ford Model T.

I mean, all things considered its pretty close considering it costs half as much. I'd say that graphic is good for the Model 3 with that in mind.

Hyundai is gonna start selling the 200 mile all electric Ioniq next year. Looking at that while waiting for Tesla to iron out the Model 3 kinks. Competition is such a great thing.

deadduck

Their goal is to dig the pre-order queue for sales on cars they actually have available for sale. Based on the graphics the aim is to make the Model S look more than worth the extra money. If I was a cynic I'd say that they don't make enough $ on the Model 3 per car and are worried.

They don't make as much on the 3 compared to the margins on S/X but they can't sell you a 3 until 2018 due to the back orders.

It is to tempt people that came looking for a 3 to buy an S. First world problem for car manufacturer.

That range is terrible, dude. As for the info-graphic, I hope they do not skimp too hard on range, because that is what many budget buyers are going to look at.

Yeah it's not as good as Tesla's but its a Hyundai. I trust them more than I do Tesla atm when it comes to building cars that can get me from Point A to Point B without any little things going wrong. The Hyundai will probably be my next car when my Fiat 500e lease runs out then move to the Model 3 ver 2 after a couple of years.

Doodis

For those upset about the Model S comparison sheet:

They are backordered on the Model 3 probably all the way through 2018. That's a full year-and-a-half they cannot "sell" another person on a Model 3 that isn't already planning on buying one.

So, they will do what they can to sell the Model S to an interested buyer now. This sheet is meant for Tesla employees as talking points to sell a Model S. It's not something that was meant for the public.

Also, if you were planning on buying a Model 3 and expected it to be as nice as the double-the-price Model S, you're in for a rough time.

Heretic

The staff has been instructed to downplay the Model 3 until later in the year, possibly early next year. Model 3 is cutting into the S sales.

Yeah it's not as good as Tesla's but its a Hyundai. I trust them more than I do Tesla atm when it comes to building cars that can get me from Point A to Point B without any little things going wrong. The Hyundai will probably be my next car when my Fiat 500e lease runs out then move to the Model 3 ver 2 after a couple of years.

You trust Hyundai? Really?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-hyundai-kia-recall-20170407-story.html

Also, if you were planning on buying a Model 3 and expected it to be as nice as the double-the-price Model S, you're in for a rough time.

This is the part that baffles me. Do people get mad when they buy a BMW 3 series and it's not as good as the BMW 7 series?

Tesla has a bigger problem than most because the S already doesn't exactly have a luxury interior. Everyone knows this and Tesla has been criticized for it because the S costs as much as a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7 series or Audi A8. I mean, up until literally late last year, the car didn't come with the center console and as such only had 2 cupholders when it seats 5-7! I realize that Elon is too busy landing rockets to care about things like cupholders but this shit would not be acceptable in any other car which costs at least $70k and is usually $100k+ when nicely specced.

So the problem with 3 is that the S is already kind of spartan inside, so what else can they really remove? Apparently the driver's instrument panel is one thing. Sigh.

I want this car but holy crap I NEED a vehicle. I am still driving a 2002 Honda that works fine but only because I don't drive it very far since I live close to work. I am moving cross country soon to LA and need a car that can chew up some commute miles. Also the last thing I want to do is spend $1000 or however much it costs to ship a vehicle when my car itself is barely worth $4,000 or so.

Tesla is losing a lot of customers because they are taking so long to release.

I don't see a problem with that info graph. My only concern is the low mile range of the 3 according to it.

For the purposes of that chart, they are pretending the battery upgrade on the 3 doesn't exist. It will have one. I think Elon has already said the 3 platform can fit up to a 75 kWh battery. If the base battery is 50 kWh as rumored, you can estimate the range upgrade achieved by moving up to 75 kWh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't care about anti selling the 3. They should. Anyone that expects the 3 to be almost as good is wrong but not crazy. It'll be almost as good because, luxury wise, the S is trash compared to top tier luxury vehicles like 7 series or S class. Frankly, I don't see where the extra $50k goes if I bought an S. Practically speaking - I know why Tesla priced it there.

I want rwd in my 3 but it's going to be my wife's car so AWD is a strong possibility.

milanbaros

Member?
I want this car but holy crap I NEED a vehicle. I am still driving a 2002 Honda that works fine but only because I don't drive it very far since I live close to work. I am moving cross country soon to LA and need a car that can chew up some commute miles. Also the last thing I want to do is spend $1000 or however much it costs to ship a vehicle when my car itself is barely worth $4,000 or so.

Tesla is losing a lot of customers because they are taking so long to release.

When did they originally announce it would first be delivered and what is the current timeline?

When did they originally announce it would first be delivered and what is the current timeline?

July this year, and it's still July although the roll out will be in fairly small numbers, and limited to CA as production ramps up. Most preorders in the US should arrive by the end of the year, but if you're international (like me) it's looking like summer 2018.

Wollan

I'm not stressing about Model S and 3 differences as it delivers on my key-wants:
You're still getting the responsiveness that only electrical vehicles can deliver.
It looks great and I like that it's more compact in comparison to S.
Range is reasonable for a budget car and electrical > fuel switch is needed for our planet.
You have a future proofed car that will eventually be software-upgraded to autonomous self-driving.
Maintenance of Model 3 will certainly be much more affordable compared to S (due to volume of production).

I expect it to be the last car I ever buy as at some point I will switch over to the autonomous-leasing-pool/car-as-a-service future.

gamma

For those upset about the Model S comparison sheet:

They are backordered on the Model 3 probably all the way through 2018. That's a full year-and-a-half they cannot "sell" another person on a Model 3 that isn't already planning on buying one.

So, they will do what they can to sell the Model S to an interested buyer now. This sheet is meant for Tesla employees as talking points to sell a Model S. It's not something that was meant for the public.

Mr.Shruggles&#12484;;238124055 said:
Is it not possible that Tesla is sending out an honest product sheet to their non commission based employees?

Jesus.

It's not for employees it's for the public:

https://www.tesla.com/compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom