• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
hmm...

Bolt:
- Traditional Hatchback design
- Familiar interior
- CCS DC charging (55 kW)
- Available now (selected locations)

Model 3:
- Futuristic sedan
- Minimalistic interior
- Supercharging (90 kW?)
- Long wait after preorder

Don't know what rate the 3 will be able to supercharge at, but the max right now is 120kW.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The Supercharger network is also alongside all major freeways in North America and Europe.

Good luck charging the Bolt away from home.

There are thousands of compatible charging stations all over the place. The issue isn't finding a place to charge a Bolt, it's that it takes longer. Teslas have dual chargers built in, each capable of higher amperage than all other electric cars, so at SuperCharger stations you can charge your Tesla at a much faster rate.

So in both cases, you have to plan your trips around finding charging stations (which isn't hard in most areas), and you'll need to plan time to charge -- but that charging time will be less with a Tesla. And THAT is the advantage of the SuperChargers.

That said, there is no guarantee that Model 3 will have dual chargers. It may very well be that while you can still use SuperChargers, it will take as long to charge as it would the Bolt. Tesla is making a lot of cost saving decisions with the 3 and until we know for sure, we can only guess at it's charging capabilities.

Oh, and a couple weeks ago I took the Bolt on a 4.5 hour round trip, mostly highway. I still had 61 miles range left when I got back.

The Supercharger network is also alongside all major freeways in North America and Europe.

Good luck charging the Bolt away from home.

There are a lot more regular charging stations in my country compared to Tesla. Sure if you drive in Germany they are everywhere. I think here in Finland the grand total for superchargers is three at the moment.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
There are thousands of compatible charging stations all over the place. The issue isn't finding a place to charge a Bolt, it's that it takes longer. Teslas have dual chargers built in, each capable of higher amperage than all other electric cars, so at SuperCharger stations you can charge your Tesla at a much faster rate.

So in both cases, you have to plan your trips around finding charging stations (which isn't hard in most areas), and you'll need to plan time to charge -- but that charging time will be less with a Tesla. And THAT is the advantage of the SuperChargers.

That said, there is no guarantee that Model 3 will have dual chargers. It may very well be that while you can still use SuperChargers, it will take as long to charge as it would the Bolt. Tesla is making a lot of cost saving decisions with the 3 and until we know for sure, we can only guess at it's charging capabilities.

Oh, and a couple weeks ago I took the Bolt on a 4.5 hour round trip, mostly highway. I still had 61 miles range left when I got back.

Some notes. Some Model S have dual chargers (which was optional for the first few years), but now all Teslas come with a single charger that is either 48 amps or 72 amps. Superchargers actually bypass the onboard charger and go straight to the battery, which is why such high charging rates can be achieved.

Model 3's will definitely be able to use Superchargers. It has been confirmed. They will be pay per use, unlike the S and X though.

There are a lot more regular charging stations in my country compared to Tesla. Sure if you drive in Germany they are everywhere. I think here in Finland the grand total for superchargers is three at the moment.

5 ;)

https://supercharge.info/

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Some notes. Some Model S have dual chargers (which was optional for the first few years), but now all Teslas come with a single charger that is either 48 amps or 72 amps. Superchargers actually bypass the onboard charger and go straight to the battery, which is why such high charging rates can be achieved.

Model 3's will definitely be able to use Superchargers. It has been confirmed. They will be pay per use, unlike the S and X though.

Thanks for the clarification. For comparison, the Bolt has a 32 amp charger. I know 3 will be able to use SuperChargers; the question is at what rate.

Tesla recently did a speed update to the non performance versions of the Model S and X. Now the base level S does a 0-60 in 4.3 seconds compared to an 100D which is 4.1 seconds.

Previously a base level Model S (75) 0-60 time was 5.5 seconds. This is pretty big since now the price difference between the 75 or 75D and 100D is all about range and no longer acceleration.

I'm guessing this is Tesla doing more to differentiate between the Model S and Model 3, since there will be news soon.

I used to say that if I could afford a Model S I would go for the 100D because of the better acceleration, but now I could see myself leaning more towards the 75D.

There are also a mother load of used S available for sale. If 0-60 interests you but not enough to make you spring for the P100D, get a used 85D or 90D.
https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

What's very interesting is that Tesla changed the way they report 0-60 acceleration times after they introduced Ludicrous. The old pre-Ludicrous times were reported as 0-60 from a standing start, the classic "dig". The Ludicrous times are reported as 0-60 with a 1-foot rollout which is actually the common way of measuring it for reasons I don't really understand.

What this actually means is:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/0-60-30-50-50-70-comparative-times-for-70d-85d-p85d.46923/

You can see that the actual 0-60 times of 85D, 90D, and presumably 100D are actually faster than reported from a dig. The actual 0-60 time of P90DL is slightly slower than reported.

With the P100D, they finally normalized this and the "Plood" actually does have 2.3 seconds 0-60 from a dig and with a 1-foot rollout.

I can tell you that I don't complain about the 0-60 in my 90D every morning when I get onto the freeway on-ramp and floor it.

Thanks for the clarification. For comparison, the Bolt has a 32 amp charger. I know 3 will be able to use SuperChargers; the question is at what rate.

Supercharger is direct DC input to the battery. The rate is limited only by the current state of charge and the temperature of the battery. The on-board charger on Teslas is for conversion of AC to DC and is bypassed when you plug into a Supercharger.

LaneDS

Tesla recently did a speed update to the non performance versions of the Model S and X. Now the base level S does a 0-60 in 4.3 seconds compared to an 100D which is 4.1 seconds.

Previously a base level Model S (75) 0-60 time was 5.5 seconds. This is pretty big since now the price difference between the 75 or 75D and 100D is all about range and no longer acceleration.

I'm guessing this is Tesla doing more to differentiate between the Model S and Model 3, since there will be news soon.

I used to say that if I could afford a Model S I would go for the 100D because of the better acceleration, but now I could see myself leaning more towards the 75D.

My boss owns a P75D and I think that thing has like, 650-ish horsepower. It does 0-60 in I think 2.7 or so, and when he floors it the torque literally makes me a little sick. Feels like being in a rollercoaster. It's gross/amazing.

GTI Guy

waiting.gif

NYR

Still think it's really weird the car is going into production in days yet you still can't even pick options on the website to get even a remote idea how much one that is decently loaded actually costs.

deadduck

This is way beyond anyone's predictions for how many cars they could make in 2017 I believe.

5k per week is on Elon's target. 10k by mid 2018.

Still think it's really weird the car is going into production in days yet you still can't even pick options on the website to get even a remote idea how much one that is decently loaded actually costs.

There are no options to choose from at the moment.

All RCs have glass roofs, no AWD (so no P either) until Dec or '18, no air suspension and no 60 yet because all initial cars are very likely to be 75s. You can choose your colour tho.

If the 'first 30' handover party is on the 28th, hopefully the configurator goes up, we get theI75 price and conformation of 300 mile range on 75kwh.

Wollan

AWD is a necessity for me (and snowy Norway) so I'm in no rush but I'm anyhow planning on pushing my order back to 2019 which is when I plan to move back north again.

GusBus

I was just talking to my buddy about buying a couple shares of TSLA lol. Is GAF bullish on it as a long term investment?

mcfrank

So if i reserved in Jan '17 how do I see what number in line I am?

There is no public way to do that. It probably puts you around 450kish in line, but it depends on what state you live in. People in CA get theirs first, people in other states later. If you are outside of the USA, even later.

There is no public way to do that. It probably puts you around 450kish in line, but it depends on what state you live in. People in CA get theirs first, people in other states later. If you are outside of the USA, even later.

Jan 2017 is pretty late in terms in preorder line, so I'm not even sure the geographical roll-out will matter by the time their position in line gets there, unless a lot of people wait for other configurations to be available.

gwarm01

I'm a March 2016 reservation holder and I'm still expecting mid-2018 before I ever see my car. I hope I'm wrong because that $7500 tax credit would be really nice.

Does Tesla have three roof options now?

Played around last night on their used site. I seem to be only able to find the panoramic sunroof or a regular old boring roof/windshield line. Not the really cool glass roof with the very high windshield.

mcfrank

Does Tesla have three roof options now?

Played around last night on their used site. I seem to be only able to find the panoramic sunroof or a regular old boring roof/windshield line. Not the really cool glass roof with the very high windshield.
Model S has Glass roof and sun roof options (but not the very high windshield, which it has never had)
Model X has only 1 roof option which includes the high windshield.

georgc

Jan 2017 is pretty late in terms in preorder line, so I'm not even sure the geographical roll-out will matter by the time their position in line gets there, unless a lot of people wait for other configurations to be available.

I have family in Cali, I could change my address and drive cross country. So from what I can gather I might even miss the 1/2 tax credit :(

mcfrank

I have family in Cali, I could change my address and drive cross country. So from what I can gather I might even miss the 1/2 tax credit :(

I think you will be ok on the half tax credit, with an aggressive production ramps this is the best estimate I have seen:

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit from Car #1 through 03/31/18
$3,750 Federal Tax Credit 04/01/18 through 09/31/18
$1,875 Federal Tax Credit 10/01/18 through 03/31/19
No Federal Tax Credit after 03/31/19

Morts

I think you will be ok on the half tax credit, with an aggressive production ramps this is the best estimate I have seen:

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit from Car #1 through 03/31/18
$3,750 Federal Tax Credit 04/01/18 through 09/31/18
$1,875 Federal Tax Credit 10/01/18 through 03/31/19
No Federal Tax Credit after 03/31/19

I'm worried about what happens to demand once these dry up...

Yeah, the incentive is great in Canada and my fear is that it's going to shrink by the time I get to drive mine.

I honestly expect their production/delivery to line up like this:

6XgUVJD.jpg

At approximately half a million reservations, I'm staring at April 2019 to fulfill all current orders?

mcfrank

The car is reasonably priced at 35k. Cheaper than Lexus IS, close to BMW 3, cheaper than Mercedes 3 class. Same price as the bolt, but offers way way more. Why would demand dry up for this, but not those cars?

Morts

The car is reasonably priced at 35k. Cheaper than Lexus IS, close to BMW 3, cheaper than Mercedes 3 class. Same price as the bolt, but offers way way more. Why would demand dry up for this, but not those cars?

The perception is still going to be a $7k price hike once the federal rebate goes away.

GTI Guy

First delivery on Friday?

We don't have much information on the car yet. Lots of speculation and generalities but not much concrete info. Hell we don't even know the dimensions of the car. When we gonna get some details? Will I get to test drive the car before I put in my order? This is gonna be the weirdest car purchase for me ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom