• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

ElRenoRaven

Don't forget, IGN's live stream with David Jaffe is tomorrow at 1:00pm-3:00pm Pacific. Description says the extended demo will include the debut of car customization. Stream will be up on Youtube and IGN.

Yup I can't wait for that. It's weird I know I'm getting it and have played the hell out of the demo yet I can't stop reading chats or watching videos. I haven't had a game do that in awhile. Since Halo Reach to be exactly. Bungie and David, Scott and co just have that affect on me. I'm always excited for whatever each of these groups do.

Speaking of that though someone (cough cough David and Scott cough cough) needs to convince Sony to make another War of the Monsters. That was another game that was so damn amazing.

RagnarokX

Well either people aren't figuring out how to block the sniper rifle or I'm really good cuz I've been getting insane kill streaks.

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of a button to look behind you? While it feels so much cooler to do a quick 180 and then drive backwards, I'd really like a button for rear view.

You can't aim backwards anyway, so I don't see the point other than the ability to see the destruction caused or not caused, which would be kind of cool. But don't think I would want to take my eyes off of what's going on in front.

Aah, that sucks. Strangely, something that Twisted MEtal 2 got right that basically no other games since (maybe TM:Black, but none of the Vigilante games, etc), was that AI cars still fought each other, and didn't just hunt you out. It was one of the better aspects of the game, allowing you to play defensively, find a spot and guard it, and let everybody else beat and batter each other... But then, somehow, they lost that mechanic, and it became 8 against 1 in future games... Which is how a lot of games are, but it removed a lot of the implicit strategy from the TM games.

The TM2 AI fought with one another but did hardly any damage at all to each other. And they never outright killed one another. Like I posted earlier, the AI would usually only die accidentally, either by falling off the ledges in the NY level or getting sucked down on the collapsing ice pieces in the Antarctic level. Maybe some would die if frozen in lava too, but I can hardly remember that. That's why a level like Field of Screams was much harder to survive because there were no ways for them to accidentally die.

A good Reaper player is monster. the lower end cars can be one-hit killed with flaming chainsaw and the other cars can be destroyed by a couple missiles after the flaming chainsaw. Always save your side weapon (freeze gun, mine, shield) for freeze ray with the reaper. only use the shield if you see a darkside turbo ram, flaming chainsaw, or when you have the leader in nuke mode.

Shield, freeze, hit with a special and hammer away with what's ever left and I have never had much trouble with a Reaper. Crimson Fury's flame thrower is much more annoying to me.

KAL2006

Banned
I think they fucked up with the demo. Connection problems make it hard to get a online game going. And the singleplayer has ridiculous AI. Of course the gameplay is great, and probably surpassed our expectations for us Twisted Metal fans, but I think the demo could have turned off new potential buyers.

If I was in charge of creating the demo, I would have had 2 maps for variety. 2 singleplayer levels (with the story cutscenes) with one of them being a boss fight.

Rattles

I think they fucked up with the demo. Connection problems make it hard to get a online game going. And the singleplayer has ridiculous AI. Of course the gameplay is great, and probably surpassed our expectations for us Twisted Metal fans, but I think the demo could have turned off new potential buyers.

If I was in charge of creating the demo, I would have had 2 maps for variety. 2 singleplayer levels (with the story cutscenes) with one of them being a boss fight.

A boss fight wow! noway man. A working online with a way to join friends would've been better.

I think ending the demo just at the start of a boss fight or after an opening section of a boss fight from the story mode would be a good way to leave people wanting more. I enjoy the demo, although I haven't got online yet, but I agree that as a promotional tool it could have been done better.

Riposte

A good Reaper player is monster. the lower end cars can be one-hit killed with flaming chainsaw and the other cars can be destroyed by a couple missiles after the flaming chainsaw. Always save your side weapon (freeze gun, mine, shield) for freeze ray with the reaper. only use the shield if you see a darkside turbo ram, flaming chainsaw, or when you have the leader in nuke mode.

I'm doing fine (great, actually) with using shield liberally. Freeze doesn't seem worth it, especially since you are bound to be fighting more than one opponent at a time. I haven't ran into any problems with the chainsaw or turbo ram, either. Meat Wagon's special stops most players in their tracks.

I wonder how scoring works exactly. Damage seems to be a huge factor and I've won on it alone (usually do a lot more damage than everyone else).

Triz

While I suck miserably at the demo, I can see the fun to be had with this title. David, Ill see you tonight in Frisco. Leaving Sacramento in a few to make it down there.

Xater

It's usually the same disc for all regions.

Problem is Sony is already doing special discs for their games in the UK. The Uk version usually doesn't include any of the languages from continental Europe. That is also why I doubt it is just getting cut across the board because of one country.

For people complaining about connection issues: isn't PSN down today? At least, it is for me here in the U.S. until 11PM PST according to Sony.

Awesome they kept it like the original and the game is really sweet. But holy ballsacks do I suck/it is hard in Single player. And can't connect :|

Still interested tho

Awesome they kept it like the original and the game is really sweet. But holy ballsacks do I suck/it is hard in Single player. And can't connect :|

Still interested tho

Hang in there, I was doing terrible at first, and now I can destroy all of the other cars almost every time with very few issues. Learn where the health is in the level and utilize all of your options!(freeze, mines, and especially shield)

Yea, that's my biggest problem. WERE DE HEALTH AT!? I forgot it was sort of rare.

The health be where da health be.;) But seriously, ones I can think of off the top of my head are, there is one at the top of the hospital, you have to go up and around a few ramps to get there, there's another one in a grocery store or sorts, blast through the front doors to get to it, and then there's one in the stadium. There are more than that, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Also, when you kill someone, run over the driver for some health.

MercuryLS

Banned
They need to make the health more easily accessible. As it is right now, those fuckers in the choppers are taking it all for themselves. Need more health on the road and not up in some building/stadium.

BPK

How long will this be up? I'm unfortunately away from home until Feb 10th.

As a huge TM2-Black fan I'm a little apprehensive about the usual roster of ten or so characters and their accompanying storyline.

In Jaffe we trust...

Yes! Talon down, beat all the challenges and unlocked Sweet Tooth!
Not really.

Nice. Tried doing it with Reaper myself but got 1 or 2 kills at most before I was rammed to death. :(

Yeah it was hard. Taking out Crimson Fury early with a flaming chainsaw helps, but you still have to ultra aware of your health at all times and constantly use health packs.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone else feel like the satallite dishes take way too much damage before they fall down? As a vehicle I have to sit there and unload on them for a bit to get access to the upper grassy hills area.

Dibbz

Yes! Talon down, beat all the challenges and unlocked Sweet Tooth!
Not really.

Yeah it was hard. Taking out Crimson Fury early with a flaming chainsaw helps, but you still have to ultra aware of your health at all times and constantly use health packs.

I tried using the chainsaw but it doesn't lock on right? It's really hard to try and line shots up with it even if I froze someone.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I tried using the chainsaw but it doesn't lock on right? It's really hard to try and line shots up with it even if I froze someone.

wait for people to bunch up and fight each other and toss your chainsaw into the pile of them its bound to hit one of them

Two general things I want:

1. Custom button remapping
2. Option to map turbo dash (Sixaxis) to buttons

I think most players would agree. Besides that, balancing seems immaculate so far.

Very true, I'd like to see more locations for health as well, can't wait for this game

Also would like to see the driver choices add some benefit or other

Top Bottom