• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Dibbz

2. Option to map turbo dash (Sixaxis) to buttons

I just want to put this out there but to turbo dash you do not thrust your controller forward. You flick it downwards towards the ground.

I think most people are confused by the arrow in the tutorial which is understandable and was a big oversight imo.

Is it just me, or when you actually do connect to an online match it's super super laggy? I've been lucky enough to connect to a few Deathmatch games today and yesterday, but they have all been EXTREMELY laggy. Lag to the point of not even being able to really play at all.

Needless to say, the online experience has been pretty frustrating, but I'm still very much looking forward to the game.

holy hell... i'm a big primus fan, I thought the music was buckethead for sure, but I just noticed it was indeed Larry Lalonde. Awesome stuff.

Helscream

Banned
Hey guys I was doing some messing around in training and a few things I found out, not too sure who knows this or not but considering some people are having a hard time coming to grasp with the game here a few things they may help you out.

Quick Turnings:

Something that I have noticed with the way acceleration and quick turning (drift/power slide) works. You acceleration/gas also acts as a "grip" button. Meaning if you are quick turning and you slam on the gas you immediately you will stop sliding and regain traction. When it comes to sharp turns or correcting the direction of you vehicle. Make sure you hold down the quick turn button till you are aligned in the direction you want to be.

Like for example if you are coming up on a right turn, you want to let go off the gas and hold down your quick turn button and HOLD it down till you want to slop sliding then release it and when you hit acceleration/turbo your vehicle will regain traction instantly and push you forward. So basically just tapping quick turn is good when you just want to make a minor adjustment. But the longer you hold down the quick turn button the longer you will slide.

Vehicles like crimson fury handle ALOT better once you understand that your acceleration is what gives you grip/traction while your quick turn button reduces all your traction/grip.

Swarmer Rockets/Missiles:

I noticed that when using this weapon you will see a gauge on your screen. And you would think that you hold the button down till the bar fills up then release. BUT if you look at the rockets on the side of your vehicle. You will notice that if you HOLD down longer the fumes/gas of the rockets will go from purple to a red color. If you are careful you can actually hold down the firing button long enough for all the rockets to turn red and release before it backfires. So basically this weapon can do even more damage if you keep holding the button down after the bar fills up. You just have to be careful not to overload them till they backfire.

Power Missile/Rocket:

Something to note is that even though this weapon has no lock on feature it can hurdle over hills and drop down slopes. Like if you see someone straight ahead of you and they are at a slightly higher altitude than you are, the power missile will actually tread up the hill/elevation.

Radar:

Eat,Sleep,Play did a great job with actually making the radar essential at helping you in combat than just something to help you view the map. Special projectiles like Meat Wagons Gurney or Vermin's Rocket will show up on the radar. I normally just pop the shield special at the last second to absorbs its damage. Also items like the remote bomb will have a turn the radar into a camera that gives you a view of its surroundings. Enemy vehicles will show up in RED if they appear on the camera. So it helps when you plant something like a remote bomb in a small corridor and you can see a enemy coming up on camera. Makes for a good ambush.

Reverse Steering:

For me personally I noticed that if you double tap Circle/Emergency brake your car will go into reverse. And if you are turbo boosting then immediately double tap circle you will turbo boost in reverse. I noticed in the chat we had yesterday people talked about reverse being inverse, but that only seems to happen when you are using the R3 button. Double Tapping circle I found to be more convenient and its not inverse steering either.

I'll keep tinkering and see if I run across something else interesting. Hope what I shared can help a few people.

From the Twisted Metal SF event

jwpP1.jpg

http://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/165262909369352192

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Won my qualifying match in the tourny at the San Fran event... got an awesome Sweet Tooth trophy for it! Let's see how the real tourny goes.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hot damn, just won a raffle at the event to get the first copy of the game given to the public. It's a pretty fucking good night!

Cactus

Banned
Man, I've won almost all of my online deathmatches even though my stats aren't great. I usually end up with an even kill death ratio, a whole bunch of assists and a negative damage differential.

Not sure if I'm playing well or getting really lucky.

RagnarokX

Swarmer Rockets/Missiles:

I noticed that when using this weapon you will see a gauge on your screen. And you would think that you hold the button down till the bar fills up then release. BUT if you look at the rockets on the side of your vehicle. You will notice that if you HOLD down longer the fumes/gas of the rockets will go from purple to a red color. If you are careful you can actually hold down the firing button long enough for all the rockets to turn red and release before it backfires. So basically this weapon can do even more damage if you keep holding the button down after the bar fills up. You just have to be careful not to overload them till they backfire.

The border surrounding the meter blinks red when you've fully charged it.

meppi

I just want to put this out there but to turbo dash you do not thrust your controller forward. You flick it downwards towards the ground.

I think most people are confused by the arrow in the tutorial which is understandable and was a big oversight imo.

Are we talking about different things, or can you turbo dash by double tapping the gas button?
I haven't even looked at the controls and the turbo thing felt natural from the first time I booted the game up.

Sony is apparently "working" on it. If it takes this long to fix a matchmaking issue, not sure I'm gonna buy this day 1.

Don't really want to be a guinea pig. I'll wait a month and see what the consensus is.

Me too. Went from "maybe" before the demo to "day one" after playing and now it's "wait and see" because of these connection issues.

Hot damn.

Finally got to play a handful of online matches and I have to say, I am very impressed. Its fast paced, intense, and overall a refreshing online experience. I can already see the community for this being great. Nuke is just such a blast. I was going to wait to find a nice online deal before I preorder this since I'm strapped for cash, but this just earned my full $60 for day one.

BTW, Whats the best way to take down a Talon?

NeoUltima

Weird.

My Ps3 just shut itself off while waiting in a lobby. Not a lock up, just straight up shut off.
Is that a known issue with the game? Or is my ps3 dying :|

It couldn't have overheated though, I just turned it on 10 minutes ago.

NeoUltima

Umm ok wtf. The problem happened again. In the exact same scenario (sitting in lobby).
This game does not like my ps3...

edit: looking at GameFaqs and Playstation forums, there a few people with the same issue (ps3 shuts itself off, red flashing lights). I don't believe in a coincidence that our ps3s would be all dying at the same time.
Something is fucked up with this demo.

AwShucks

Dear people taking the wait and see approach on release...

Story mode will still be there. That should be more than worth it.

BTW, Whats the best way to take down a Talon?

Vermin's alt fire remote control rodent rocket. Can instakill a talon if you use the thruster and zoom a rocket into it (Also EXTREMELY satisfying).

Otherwise, Outlaw's specials and Darkside's alt special are also good vs a Talon. Make sure you get a lock on first though.

prwxv3

Vermin's alt fire remote control rodent rocket. Can instakill a talon if you use the thruster and zoom a rocket into it (Also EXTREMELY satisfying).

Otherwise, Outlaw's specials and Darkside's alt special are also good vs a Talon. Make sure you get a lock on first though.

Reapers can also destroy then in one hit with the flame chainsaw after you freeze them.

RagnarokX

Just had a weird thing where all the pickups disappeared from the map for several seconds.

Also I wish I had my camera out when this happened, but I was using Talon's tri-gunner right when a match was ending and it switched back to 3rd person when the match ended and my Talon was upsidedown.

Edgeward

Finally got in a nuke game, definitely a fun game to play with friends and teamwork. Not sure what do when the ither side launches the missile other than try to shoot with all my guns.

Luixfern

Sometimes as I am chasing someone with no health I will autotarget a car with almost full health, is there a way to manually choose which target to lock on to?

wcw

Neo Member
Me too. Went from "maybe" before the demo to "day one" after playing and now it's "wait and see" because of these connection issues.

I have to think that in 12 days they can sort this out. Keep in mind there wasn't a public beta for this game so the demo has kind of served as one. Its dedicated servers which eases my concerns. I think that its good for them to work out the kinks with this demo as opposed to doing it with the full game.

Although if you were really concerned I would wait a couple weeks for the online to get sorted out.

JaseMath

Fuck this game. The AI sucks and what genius laid out the controls? Kind of unfortunate really, but I'll probably never play this game again. Sorry, Jaffe - maybe next time.

AZ2002

Banned
Two general things I want:

1. Custom button remapping
2. Option to map turbo dash (Sixaxis) to buttons

I think most players would agree. Besides that, the balancing seems immaculate so far.

i dont know about the first one but i think its good for players who doesnt fell comfortable with the setup.race setup works fine with me. but 2 absolutely as i dont like shaking my controller when i am in the middle of a dog fight.

BHK3

Banned
Found a glitch with Death Warrant.

Have no other weapons and at least two specials. Press L1 or R1 then triangle quickly almost at the same time. If done right the gunner will go inside of the car and won't lean out unless you run out of special. If you switch to his alt, the S will flip and won't flip back unless you use the attack, His normal gatling gun attack will end after only a few shots and same thing with his alt special if you don't shoot the rockets. The bullets will come out of the center of the car no matter what unless you exhaust all your attacks and get a fresh one. His attack is only shortened when you flip the S. It'll still home in normally.

So I guess if you want you're bullets to come out of the center of your car you can use this but otherwise it's pretty pointless. Just thought I post it.

You can also do it with weapons but you need to hit L1 or R1 and Triangle at the same time but the gunner won't go into the car but it still has some glitch properties like flipping to the alt will shorten the special.

Classic TM controller set recommended scrubs

Top Bottom