• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

put in a solid 45 more minutes last night, getting a feel for the cars, health packs, map etc.

i don't like how impossible it is to escape a snipe.

also don't like how there are times when everythign is going haywire and i cant see anything on my screen cause theres so much destruction and explosions when a bunch of cars are attacking together and all i do is keep pressing R2 and hope i make it out alive.

did however get more accustomed to the tight turning controls which was nice... don't how fast i can go and easily jump off a ramp accidentally. for example going up the hosiptal? to the roof to get health, if i have like half speed i still overshoot the roof and fly over the railing.

overall this might be the first game I buy thats not under 20$ and 18 months after release.

good job jaffe and team.

also.. how the hell do i get the health, not in the soccer stadium but in the racetrack stadium i think? its situated on top of something under neath like an antenna. i think u have to bunny hop to it but theres like an invisible wall that prevents me from getting at it.

Twisted Metal |OT| Clowns, Dolls, and Napalm.

I'm having a hard as hell time getting used to the controls, but at the same time I feel like it'll be one of those games where you'll feel like you're slowly mastering it the more you play.

In any case, preordered the hell out of it a few mins. ago with birthday cash.

boosh5

Banned
Played the demo a little more and I still love it, but I can't get used to the tight turning on the fast cars. Does it feel too fast to anyone else?

Mr. Grimm has always been my main and I used Twister a lot in TM2, so fast driving isn't the issue for me. It's just the tight turning spins so fast, I am always overshooting my mark. Strangely, a tight turn while using turbo is easily controllable because of the extra sliding your car does. I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so maybe it's just me, but it's definitely something that I would like to see changed in the day one patch.

I got into an MP game of Deathmatch.

Starts with 4 people.

2 people leave. I "win". Goes back to title screen.

Cannot get back into a game. "Matchmaking error"

i got in a full game of Nuke, game starts, i drive for around 2 minutes, PS3 hardlock. Never been able to join a game since!

Acrylic7

Gonna try the demo one more time.

If I get "Matchmaking Error" again, I'm buying Jak HD collection and Lady and the Tramp Bluray/
I refuse to be KZ3'd again

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
i don't like how impossible it is to escape a snipe.

I was starting to feel like it was overpowered as well, but after last night's event I think that's more due to the open nature of the map in the demo. The San Fran event mixed in some additional maps, and those were much more difficult to get snipe kills on due to everything that was going on in the environment. When more people learn what that red line is it should help balance it out as well as they move to get the hell out of the way.

tusken77

shitty iphone pics with my kids toys in the background...

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Ha, congrats fella. That's quality.

AwShucks

The main problem that I see for myself is not playing as all the vehicles because they all don't have a story.

If it wasn't for the story of each character I likely would never play as each vehicle and I would just stick to my usual (Mr Grimm).

5amshift

Banned
What difficulty is the demo? Because it seems hard, and you're almost ALWAYS getting shot at. Just like Motorstorm in a way where everyone was after you.

There also needs to be more health planed in the level. I'm always low on health and it doesn't make it any better that when I actually do find health, I'm getting shot at on my way to get it, thus me dying on my way. There should not have been a freeze, or shield button in this game. Mines should have just been added to the weapon reel also.

What I thought was a day 1 purchase, will now be a bargain bin purchase unless I know some shit will be cleared up. The game is also WAY too fast paced. Slow it the fuck down.

What difficulty is the demo? Because it seems hard, and you're almost ALWAYS getting shot at. Just like Motorstorm in a way where everyone was after you.

There also needs to be more health planed in the level. I'm always low on health and it doesn't make it any better that when I actually do find health, I'm getting shot at on my way to get it, thus me dying on my way. There should not have been a freeze, or shield button in this game. Mines should have just been added to the weapon reel also.

What I thought was a day 1 purchase, will now be a bargain bin purchase unless I know some shit will be cleared up. The game is also WAY too fast paced. Slow it the fuck down.

It's set at a harder setting I believe. And after having a hard time with it at first, I've recently gotten the hang of it and can clear the challenge level with relative ease.

Give yourself some space, don't be afraid to run away to give yourself some breathing room. Do that, pick your shots, grab the health packs, and you will be good to go.

No freeze or shield button? That shield helps! And mines are easier to drop with the D-Pad so you can still have a primary weapon locked and ready to go.

GeoramA

Holy crap, just heard Heavy Metal on the soundtrack in a MP game. So good. Jaffe, you really hit it out of the park with this soundtrack. I hope there's some classic TM tunes in there, though! (LA TM2 please)
This will be considered one the best soundtracks of all-time when all is said in done. Every song I've heard is just perfect for this game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
*wrong opinion*
Do not ever listen to someone like that, Jaffe.
We have plenty of slow paced games, we don't need yet another one.

And it has been explained several times, the OFFLINE 1P MODE is called "CHALLENGE". It's not a FFA, it's a you versus the AI.
I doubt this was a good demo decision, but it's not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be a challenge.
As can be seen in this thread, many have overcome it and felt good about it and others like myself have just played online.
(I guess matchmake is still broken for many people here, I just got into 2 separate games on the very first try.)

How long have you played for? I felt the same about the health, but i feel as you get better and know the level more it's not as much of an issue.

the super fast aspect I agree, could be toned down a little, as i tend to be flying off roofs, over railings, and into non-destructible buildings constantly. Also I agree that the game feels like it's you vs. 5 AI rather than a FFA. in every match i've played not one computer car has killed another one. it's always me killing any.

The d pad skills i'm so/so about. as I'm not sure how I regain shield or freeze meter. it just happens, with no ackowledgement other than me glancing down to the corner gui. i do feel that i'm getting frozen way too much but i think that is because of the 1 vs 5 thing. shields not terribly balanced, freeze seems to be a little though.

this kinda goes back to me wanting each driver to have a certain skill, because right now theres no point to choosing who i want as a driver. and as someone else said give a story and reason to be choosing cars and drivers thats not just stats...

benny_a

this kinda goes back to me wanting each driver to have a certain skill, because right now theres no point to choosing who i want as a driver. and as someone else said give a story and reason to be choosing cars and drivers thats not just stats...
Give it a story reason to be choosing cars and drivers in online mode and challenge mode? What the hell is happening here?
This is a game about mechanics, just like a Street Fighter.
People in tournaments don't choose Ryu over Rufus because Ryu has a japanese background and wants to avenge his master's death. (* Actual background reason to SF is purely coincidental).
Are you also raising that same criticism to play as the russians in Battlefield 3?
Or am misinterpreting this and you would rather have something like KZ3 with the in-mission cutscenes?

This ludicrous demand aside, the idea of going with factions over individual characters for each vehicle are explained by the team modes. If every faction can have the same amount of Talons that's much more balanced than playing Reaper vs. Talons or not featuring any team modes.

Can Jaffe explain why?

Because Challenge Mode is supposed to be Challenging?

Protip: Once you kill a vehicle, the driver runs around on fire (blue cross over their head) and if you run them over you get health. I noticed people online weren't doing this either, especially my teammates. I think I went about 27-1 over the span of 2 Nuke matches because my health was in a constant green.

also.. how the hell do i get the health, not in the soccer stadium but in the racetrack stadium i think? its situated on top of something under neath like an antenna. i think u have to bunny hop to it but theres like an invisible wall that prevents me from getting at it.

Twisted Metal |OT| Clowns, Dolls, and Napalm.

Do you mean the parking lot? Shoot it, then bunny hop.

SkylineRKR

I finally beat the challenge. Once you know the healthpacks and keep the fights inside, its not that bad.

Jaffe, why the fuck motion sensor. The fuck why?

OT line right there.

The sixaxis turbo is fucked up, and I hate it. They ran out of buttons, surely? :p

benny_a

Is the demo a old build because I thought when you sniped someone their heads were supposed to explode.
Maybe that's another thing the EU version has changed, and both the EU and US demo are based on the EU code it seems.

The meat wagon is also using the EU variant of the gurney rocket.

ElRenoRaven

Twisted Metal IGN stream is starting momentarily. So can't wait for 2 hours of David talking about TM. I could listen to him talk about it all day. And he's there. Just saw a PIP test.

Top Bottom