• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon trailer (10/12): New Z-Moves and Rotom Dex features

lupinko

XY is the only 3DS game that had a feature that managed to last long enough *cough* Friend Ranch *cough*

Friend safari is a godsend because I can easily prepare smeargle egg move parents with it.

Friend Safari was thrown out the window the moment they unlocked Pokemon Bank to interact with X & Y and the only thing that was worth a noddle afterwords was the Ditto Safari if you were a breeder because at that point anyone could just import anything that the Friend Safari offered from their Gen III - Gen V games. So no I disagree with you having a feature be alive and useful for only 3 months doesn't equate towards the game having a "good post game"

That's not the point of Friend Safari, and to this day I still use all my Friend Safaris.

They're also great for easy shiny hunting and breeding projects and have easy availability of Hidden Abilities. I have like over 100 Friend Safaris over two 3DSes, so go figure.

XY has a great post game, for people in the competitive or breeding/trading meta.

What's quite apparent is that Gamefreak cares more for those meta communities than single player only players.

Kenai

the post game story in S/M was extra disappointing because of how much they hyped up the ultra beasts only to have them still just as random encounters in patches of tall grass

even during the main games cutscenes they make it look like a big deal when the portals are opening and the kahuna is facing off against one. None of that felt like it ever went anywhere or affected the islands at all (compared to something like the city being frozen in bw2)

That's why I am pretty interested, because this game is set up to be exactly that. UBs are one of the most interesting things in the series history but they were tacked on in S/M as whatever post game "legendaries". This at least has a very strong possibility of being rectified by the sequels.

We will see when the game actually comes out but it's much more easier to expect the worst at this point rather than get my hopes up for nothing because 3 times already have they botched post game content in my opinion and failed to deliver a game on par with Black 2 and White 2 so I refuse to set myself up for disappointment again for a 4th time.

That's totes fair. If the game fails to deliver I think they deserve the flak they (will) get, but direct sequels like this tend to be pretty heavy on post-game content so I am not as worried as I would otherwise be. ORAS endgame was fairly disappointing to be sure, but it's also a pretty big outlier and a remake rather than a direct sequel.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I thought they may have brought back DexNav or PSS. Guess that was too much to ask. Oh well, O-Powers will have to do then...

Crayolan

I guess I'm just a different kind of player than you guys. The bad one. I never touched any of the Battle Frontier, Battle Facility, or even the others. I didn't like them.

I like more post game content that doesn't have to do with the Frontier type gameplay. So basically story post game content or more legendaries or all of that. I didn't like the middle of the Delta Story cause frankly Zinnia wasn't that great of a character for me but I loved it when I finally got to Rayquaza and Deoxys.

I enjoyed my time with Black 2 and White 2. I really did. But Gen 5 as a whole was "okay" to me. So my love for those games arent nearly as high as the love that you guys have. Honestly Gen 5 was my "just slog through the story" moments. I vastly preferred Gen IV cause of HG/SS. But I'm all right with what I played in Sun and Moon. Do I wish it had more? Of course. But I'm giving US/UM a chance. You can say that I'm part of the problem. That's fine. You can say I have incredibly low standards. I'm all right with that. I'm just gonna keep playing the games until whenever I decide to stop. Please forgive my apathy towards the Frontier and others like it, but I'll just agree to disagree with the people constantly going on every new thread about this game to remind us that they aren't buying it.

You don't need to feel bad for not liking battle facilities. Though, did you like the PWT? That's like the most casual-friendly battle facility ever. I was able to beat everything up to and including the Champion's Tourney with just my in-game team. It was tough,but considering you only need to win 3 battles retrying isn't a nightmare like when you're deep into a battle frontier streak.

Also when people say they want more post-game content they're not just talking about a battle frontier (though that's probably the #1 nowadays), there's also stuff like new areas, post-game story threads, legendary hunting, and superbosses. The gen 6 games only have a small extra story attached at the end and a battle tower equivalent. Oh, and XY didn't even have an E4 rematch lmao. SM was a little better, tying the post-game story into Champion-level bosses and 'legendary" hunting, along with one new area.

Compare that to BW2 though and it's clear why people are disappointed. BW2 had like a quarter of the map open up in the postgame, legendaries all over, let you see what happened to N/Ghetsis/Colress, the Black Tower/White Treehollow which was enormous, the PWT, and a fuckton of superbosses.

To be fair to XY/ORAS/SM, none of these were 3rd versions which tend to be the most content heavy games. But USUM is, so its natural that people will hold its postgame content to a high standard.

They need to let Pokemon games breathe again. Having a new one every fall is tiring

This is a weird thing to post considering we just had one prior to SM and will likely have another after USUM.

JoeM86

I think he means that we might not get a game next year, which I agree with.

GF/TPCi don't know if they can make it to 2018, and that's telling for me already. I'd rather have them take their time too. There's no need to rush

Yeah I was saying we'll get a break next year

People seem to have conflated the idea of postgame to just being battle facilities. X & Y had a post game, it was just narrative focused.

No, it's not just battle facilities because that's just one part of it. It's also the length of the postgame where XY and ORAS lasted at least 1hr vs, B2W2, Emerald, Platinum etc., lasting you longer than that.

Berordn

No, it's not just battle facilities because that's just one part of it. It's also the length of the postgame where XY and ORAS lasted at least 1hr vs, B2W2, Emerald, Platinum etc., lasting you longer than that.

ORAS had the very lengthy legendary hunts and soaring islands, so it at least gave you a reason to go back to it regularly. Even after Delta Episode (which was significantly better than the Looker episode which ultimately amounted to nothing) there was stuff to draw you back to it that you couldn't do before.

Not denying that B2W2 are the undisputed kings here, though.

The legendary hunts in ORAS are bad. A lot are just random time of day on random island in the middle of nowhere with no real clues at all. The locations aren't even themed around the Pokémon, some have a name that evokes the Pokémon (like Cresselia and Heatran) but they're all featured on just boring templates and transport you into the same stupid pink cloud dimension.

And might I add, throwing in these Hoopa rings without actually putting any lore about Hoopa in the game is really dumb.

Compare this to B2W2 where they actually tried to incorporate the legendaries into the region. Going through the abandoned house for the lunar wing and taking it to the bridge was more compelling than anything in ORAS. It's like the the hunts were thrown in a half-assed manner to go along with the pointless soaring mechanic. Like the only legendary they tried to justify in ORAS was Regigigas.

Aleh

Platinum and HGSS had better post game content than B2W2 anyways. Not sure why those always get regarded as the best on that front really

The legendary hunts in ORAS are bad. A lot are just random time of day on random island in the middle of nowhere with no real clues at all. The locations aren't even themed around the Pokémon, some have a name that evokes the Pokémon (like Cresselia and Heatran) but they're all featured on just boring templates and transport you into the same stupid pink cloud dimension.

And might I add, throwing in these Hoopa rings without actually putting any lore about Hoopa in the game is really dumb.

Compare this to B2W2 where they actually tried to incorporate the legendaries into the region. Going through the abandoned house for the lunar wing and taking it to the bridge was more compelling than anything in ORAS. It's like the the hunts were thrown in a half-assed manner to go along with the pointless soaring mechanic. Like the only legendary they tried to justify in ORAS was Regigigas.

This is my criticism as well with this. Having a bunch of legendaries to catch is cool yes, but maybe a little story or context for them(like a side quest involving characters possibly old and new). I didn’t feel the legendaries were rewards for effort but just there.

GoldStarz

Platinum and HGSS had better post game content than B2W2 anyways. Not sure why those always get regarded as the best on that front really

B2W2 has several battle facilities, several new areas to explore, with many additional trainer battles, almost all of which have rematches. In addition, they have other fun features like Pokemon Musicals*, Pokestar Studios, and an achievement system.

*ok yeah no one likes pokemon musicals

Nightbird

B2W2 has several battle facilities, several new areas to explore, with many additional trainer battles, almost all of which have rematches. In addition, they have other fun features like Pokemon Musicals*, Pokestar Studios, and an achievement system.

Don't forget the added difficulties.

Even after finishing the story there were a bit of battles that needed to be taken care of, upping the difficulty made sure that you would suffer for a bit at first, but I would lie if I sad this wasn't one of my most beloved moments in my "Pokémon careero"

Aleh

Yeah but Platinum and HGSS have all that and more (Battle Frontier, minigames people actually like such as contests and pokeathlon, more post game areas)

I hope this system makes a return. I was disappointed that it was moved to an external website with X/Y.

ORAS had the very lengthy legendary hunts and soaring islands, so it at least gave you a reason to go back to it regularly. Even after Delta Episode (which was significantly better than the Looker episode which ultimately amounted to nothing) there was stuff to draw you back to it that you couldn't do before.

Not denying that B2W2 are the undisputed kings here, though.

You could say that about any Pokemon Game from Gen 2-onwards. There were legendaries available to be caught, and extra land to explore. It's not unique to ORAS. Delta Episode was pretty bad though in terms of it being fetch quest and "go talk to x before you do y." Didn't feel substantial, and don't get me started on the nonsense that's Zinnia...

gosox333

It still baffles me that people still cling to these patterns as absolutes.

Yup we're definitely going to see a Z version before gen 7. No way that the February 2016 Pokemon direct could be about Sun and Moon.

Not a chance they'd ever announce new Pokemon mid gen. New Pokemon = new gen!

Face it, with how the switch is going and how GF have been doing whatever they want, saying that anything absolutely will or will not happen is foolish.

It still baffles me that people still cling to these patterns as absolutes.

Yup we're definitely going to see a Z version before gen 7. No way that the February 2016 Pokemon direct could be about Sun and Moon.

Not a chance they'd ever announce new Pokemon mid gen. New Pokemon = new gen!

Face it, with how the switch is going and how GF have been doing whatever they want, saying that anything absolutely will or will not happen is foolish.

The fact is XY wasn't polished and could've benefitted from having a Z, and going to Sun and Moon that quickly shafted the generation as a whole. Which is precisely what ended up happening. The whole Zygarde nonsense in Gen VII was weird and GF opted to rush out a new generation bc of the anniversary year.

Just bc GF can do whatever they want, doesn't mean it's a smart idea.

gosox333

The fact is XY wasn't polished and could've benefitted from having a Z, and going to Sun and Moon that quickly shafted the generation as a whole. Which is precisely what ended up happening. The whole Zygarde nonsense in Gen VII was weird and GF opted to rush out a new generation bc of the anniversary year.

Just bc GF can do whatever they want, doesn't mean it's a smart idea.

That's not my point.

They did the not smart idea and still made a lot of money. We can't as easily predict what they're going to do anymore for a variety of reasons.

Toxi

Banned
You could say that about any Pokemon Game from Gen 2-onwards. There were legendaries available to be caught, and extra land to explore. It's not unique to ORAS. Delta Episode was pretty bad though in terms of it being fetch quest and "go talk to x before you do y." Didn't feel substantial, and don't get me started on the nonsense that's Zinnia...
Does a single new city count as extra land? Because that's the only new place in X and Y's post-game.

Oh, and 3 legendaries. Two of which are basically just sitting a the entrance of caves.

I finally watched this trailer. Still not interested one bit.

I had a really good time with Pokemon Sun, but I haven't touched it since January. There's still so much that I haven't done in that game, but I wanted to play other games before I eventually returned to it. Nintendo knows that millions of people will buy Ultra Sun/Moon, and most of you will probably end up enjoying it anyway.

I know it's business, but this re-release practice just doesn't sit well with me these days.

PS_GUY

Pokemon ORAS introduced 20 new Mega Evolutions, despite them not being compatible with XY. As such, I can see USUM introducing something similar. Perhaps a mix of new UBs, new normal Pokemon, new Alolan forms, and perhaps a new mythical Pokemon to be given away in next year's Pokemon movie.

Hopefully, we'll get something more exciting in the next trailer. I'm sick of seeing new Z moves.

By the way, does anyone remember that one NPC who talked about having a Dream Park (nod to Jurassic Park) full of fossil Pokemon? I wonder if anything will come out of it...

RockmanBN

Does a single new city count as extra land? Because that's the only new place in X and Y's post-game.

Oh, and 3 legendaries. Two of which are basically just sitting a the entrance of caves.

Puzzle dungeons feel like they've vanished. They only seem to throw lots of legendarys around random locations

Puzzle dungeons feel like they've vanished. They onlt seem to throw lots of legendarys around random locations

yeah its a shame, puzzle dungeons and gyms are something that could have been improved on before they dumped them.
re:legendaries, it feels like 1/3 of the sun and moon cast is legendary,mythical or event only, and USUM seems to be adding to that with more legendaries and another event only variant.

Did people really prefer Trials or was it more because its something different? searching for items in grass trial and fight 3 dragons trial were kind of mindless, which leaves 3 that were kind of interesting

We got Super Mystery Dungeon in 2015. I actually hope we get a SMD game for the Switch sometime soon, or maybe a triumphant return of Pokemon rangers!

I need this for the potentially orchestrated music

JoeM86

DMFE09jXkAM-liw.jpg

Well that's that

Seiniyta

Man, I'll be super sad if most of the extra stuff we're getting are more Z-moves instead of new Alolan variants of pokémon :/. Don't get me wrong Z-moves are neat. But they don't excite me at all compared to possible new variants which were a really cool addition to Sun/Moon.

Top Bottom