• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

How do you guys watch these 3 hours + podcasts/streams?
There's like Frametrap and two Gundam streams this week...that's like 9 hours...

I'm so behind, still have to watch Podcast+FT

ShadyK54

There's like Frametrap and two Gundam streams this week...that's like 9 hours...

I usually consume them in chunks because I'll always end up getting distracted with other stuff around me.

Lately though I've let the content stack because P5 has taken up a lot of my time. Once I hit my NG+ playthrough I'll be able to binge it all in a couple of swoops lol.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Making extensive use of timestamps(I'm not above skipping out on stuff that doesn't sound interesting and maybe coming to it back later but I'm sure I sometimes forgot about going back) + generally listening to stuff during my long commutes and while doing other stuff.

Budi

I'm not complaining, but sometimes it feels like there's almost too much content! :D
Just like right now I have few videos from EZA open in the tabs. And I can't watch every show on one sitting, which isn't a bad thing itself. But sometimes I even struggle to remember what did I already watch entirely and what I'm still in the middle of. But it's a good problem to have.

Edit: Also I have yet to give my feedback on Hall of Greats, Friend Code and Reaction Shots for example. But let's just say for now that I love it all.

Listen to podcasts at work. I was off work for the Gundam stream live so I built a Gundam while listening and sending in various questions.

All I have on my backlog is Jones 2 hour cup of jones

Budi

Sorry to bring this up once again, I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this probably.

But Brandon in Cup of Jones "I could go on and on and on about Witcher 3", please do! =D
So many times I've heard similar sentiments from Huber and Ben. But they never did. At this point I'll try to move on (since Blood already adressed this in the thread) and start waiting on more extensive coverage with Gwent and eventually Cyberpunk. And also I've shared my wishes on some current games that haven't got any coverage yet, Planescape Torment, Thimbleweed Park, Tides of Numenera and Full Throttle.

But thanks Brandon for answering that question in CoJ about Witcher 3d, I was happy to hear it.

Sorry to bring this up once again, I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this probably.

But Brandon in Cup of Jones "I could go on and on and on about Witcher 3", please do! =D
So many times I've heard similar sentiments from Huber and Ben. But they never did. At this point I'll try to move on (since Blood already adressed this in the thread) and start waiting on more extensive coverage with Gwent and eventually Cyberpunk. And also I've shared my wishes on some current games that haven't got any coverage yet, Planescape Torment, Thimbleweed Park, Tides of Numenera and Full Throttle.

But thanks Brandon for answering that question in CoJ about Witcher 3d, I was happy to hear it.
On favorite fantasy I suggested to Jones to do a Spouse quest full playthrough of Full throttle. He agreed on the Spouse quest part but was not specific on what game it'd be

Budi

On favorite fantasy I suggested to Jones to do a Spouse quest full playthrough of Full throttle. He agreed on the Spouse quest part but was not specific on what game it'd be

Hey thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea Spouse quest was a thing. I need to check through that Space Quest one they did. Even though I preferred Lucas Arts over Sierra at the time, I did play Space Quest a bit too and loved Police Quest and Larry. Would love to see similar on Full Throttle if they are up for it!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Another great Gundam stream. They're such a unique thing they do and I love it. You get glimpses of what they do in an office like aspect, Kyle opens up more on those streams than any other and watching model building progress is jolly

I got to learn the hoodie origins and they explored that a bit.

Kyle dropped P5 but enjoyed his time. He is also loving Nier Automata

And getting Ben gushing about Rocket Knight Adventures is a treat. His talking about revisiting it recently and loving it even more than as a kid is exactly what happened to me a couple years ago.

Just had to echo that. Love those streams the vibes are perfect to get creative projects done. Couldn't catch a lot of it yesterday going to catch up now while doing the retopology on some 3d stones ~_~ which admittingly isn't very creatively stimulating work but the Zen vibes and background chatter are just super relaxing and help out with the slightly mundane nature of it all.

Philippo

Listen them while studying/playing long sections of games where there's little to no voiced dialogue (ex. Persona 5 palaces).

I monitor a study hall, so I pretty much have 8 hours a day to watch EZA. Eh, I suppose I should say that I might have that much time if half of my classes for the day weren't totally obnoxious.

Mista Koo

I don't understand how Jones could see indies collaborating so they can fund their games as desperation. By that measure, the very act of having a crowdfunding is desperation. Or any sort of crossover promotion, I guess. Was Tekken dying without the Snopp Dogg collaboration? Mario Kart getting non Mario characters?
Yeah I always groan when I hear them say such stuff.

UrbanRats

I don't understand how Jones could see indies collaborating so they can fund their games as desperation. By that measure, the very act of having a crowdfunding is desperation. Or any sort of crossover promotion, I guess. Was Tekken dying without the Snopp Dogg collaboration? Mario Kart getting non Mario characters?
Yeah, odd answer to a, frankly, dumb question.

Kneefoil

With all this talk about streams, I just want to give a shout to Blood's Mother/Earthbound streams, and Ben's Xenoblade Chronicles streams. Those two are probably my favourite EZA stream series ever.

Yeah, odd answer to a, frankly, dumb question.
I think the question was fine. I personally take an issue with some of the cameos as well. Shovel Knight's appearance in Yooka-Laylee, for example, bothers me because my image of SK's world is very different from the one in YL. As a result, Shovel Knight feels out of place in that world to me, even though they are both cartoony, and Yooka-Laylee is very self aware about real world video games.

Hey thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea Spouse quest was a thing. I need to check through that Space Quest one they did. Even though I preferred Lucas Arts over Sierra at the time, I did play Space Quest a bit too and loved Police Quest and Larry. Would love to see similar on Full Throttle if they are up for it!

Here's the full playlist if you want to see the ones they've done so far.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX7CQOTnV_M1ijZlKyJLrzVdmKoI2ZM_O

_Ryo_

I'm an insomniac. So podcasts are helpful. Though sometimes it can be detrimental because I get really focused on the conversation and start to think too much where I will never fall asleep.

WarRock

Honestly, even though I disagree with the general intent of the person asking it, it's a very interesting question that deserves some analysis. Is everyone doing it? Does it help at all? How much is too much? Are fans of said characters satisfied with their cameos? Can those collaborations turn the tables in a failing crowdfunding? Which characters bring in more support? Do those cameos bring back support to the camoe'd character game? Etc etc

Jones quick and odd answer made it seem like the crossovers are an brainless afterthought that need to happen otherwise indies are screwed. Not pointing fingers at him, of course, but it sounded really weird. And there is the fact that every now and then, it's not the studio searching for funding that asks for those cameos - IIRC the Battlechasers team approached the Indivisible team.

Bahorel

After reading that Persona 4G is gross thread, latest Frame Trap with Ian and that little bit of discussion in that Gundam stream, I really want to hear Allies tackle these issues a bit more. In Frame Trap and stream the discussion was cut a bit short and wasn't really specific because of spoilers.

I've heard Ben and few of the Allies talk about the games so much over the years, so it includes Gametrailers too. But not once I've heard them discuss that there is some really questionable content in these games, before Ian did it. So reading that Persona thread really took me by surprise.

I hope they aren't purposefully avoiding talking (and maybe even condemning some) these things so they wouldn't upset part of their fanbase. And this isn't really a Persona specific, but overall. I liked when they briefly talked about Shantae and it's sexualization. But this is a big and complex issue and I feel they really haven't covered that so well yet. And the same goes for any minority representation in games. I do want to give credit to Ian though, but often it feels like it's just him sharing his thoughts on these things and never fully develops into actual discussion.

EZA is about Love & Respect, why not explore a bit how and when games show Love & Respect to underrepresented people and when that L & R is violated.

I want them to talk about these issues but Ian gets so much hate for it because less understanding fans automatically think he is an instigator. Other allies bringing up these subjects could help normalize the discussion of these sorts of things. I love Ian and I wish more people would be open to hearing about the hard hitting issues in gaming. Softening the blow with more critical eyes and voices from the other guys would be helpful. If they feel that way, of course.

Bahorel

I watch/listen to them at work (on my phone under my pc monitor). I have a job that is purely visual so it's easy for me to listen and pay attention to podcasts at the same time.

The only things I actually watch/listen to every time they come out is the podcast and Frame Trap. As for streams I'll usually just check it out if it's something I'm really interested in. Longer stuff I usually listen to in chunks and not all at once, usually while commuting to school, walking my dog or while playing a mindless game.

Budi

I want them to talk about these issues but Ian gets so much hate for it because less understanding fans automatically think he is an instigator. Other allies bringing up these subjects could help normalize the discussion of these sorts of things. I love Ian and I wish more people would be open to hearing about the hard hitting issues in gaming. Softening the blow with more critical eyes and voices from the other guys would be helpful. If they feel that way, of course.

Yeah exactly. I did check some of the comments (I rarely do) on the Frame Trap in question and there were many quite nasty comments towards Ian for sharing his thoughts. That's why I also wondered if Allies don't want to "poke the hornest's nest". I vaguely remember Kyle atleast avoiding some more controversial subjects in GT Time.

Overall, I think EZA is a team of very intelligent and thoughtful people. So I'd like to hear their thoughts. And gaming, internet as whole can be very hostile or inconsiderate to many groups. So sharing good vibes and sending a positive message is really important. Which they have already been doing too.

Role playing a blank slate is extremely annoying. I don't blame him. I'd rather play as a character I disagree with about everything than one who barely exists.

Mista Koo

I think the question was fine. I personally take an issue with some of the cameos as well. Shovel Knight's appearance in Yooka-Laylee, for example, bothers me because my image of SK's world is very different from the one in YL. As a result, Shovel Knight feels out of place in that world to me, even though they are both cartoony, and Yooka-Laylee is very self aware about real world video games.
UafEieh.jpg

(Not pictured: Red from Transistor. Fun fact I've backed 5 of those games.)

Personally I'm ok with it, it's a promotional financial thing from the little guys supporting each other. I think it works better for something like Yooka-Laylee than Indivisible due to the tone. I understand people not liking them for Bosmanic context reasons, like I don't think I'll have them in my party in Indivisible.
. . but I don't think I'll have any non-brown characters either so whatever.

Budi

wtf?

SMH. That's such a stupid reason, IMO.

I don't think that's the only reason though, it's just that Brad wanted Kyle to share that specific reason so it got brought up =)

Edit: Or maybe it is, but then I would agree it's bit silly/odd if he was otherwise enjoying the game.

wtf?

It is but people cant control what they like or dont like about video games, he's just doing the best he can to explain why the game isnt doing it for him, there's probably lots of other little things he doesnt like about it and cant explain.

styl3s

It is but people cant control what they like or dont like about video games, he's just doing the best he can to explain why the game isnt doing it for him, there's probably lots of other little things he doesnt like about it and cant explain.
Not to mention this isn't a 10 hour game i would never subject myself to 50,60,70+ hours of a game where i have no interest in the main protagonist or the story and it's why i quit FF15 and i have stopped watching multiple shows because of how much i didn't like the main character of the show.

If i was younger and had more time to watch/play things i might of stuck it out in these things but again a game where people are clocking in upwards to 100 hours when there are other games Kyle wants to play and in a year where amazing game after amazing games comes out i find it 100% justifiable. I haven't played Persona yet i hope i like it but i won't scold Kyle for doing something i have done at least a dozen times.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
wtf?

For a game largely based around character development and interactions, it wouldn't be bizarre at all to drop it if you can't get behind the main character and how they are perceived by the overall cast.

Could Kyle have dedicated more time to see if things change? Sure, but that's completely up to him. You don't have to agree, however, when you see reasons such as "You haven't even finished the tutorial!" as a counterpoint after 11 hours into the game, it's hard not to understand his perspective and unwillingness to put more time in.

wtf?

It's really not. In a 80-90 hour game, character disinterest can be a huge demotivational factor. Hell, that happened to me with Nier and that was a much shorter 30 hour game.

I'm a huge Persona fan but for example, Morgana is such a fucking terrible character that even I get frustrated by how much I have to put up with him.

Given how much of a non-existent character the MC is, Persona 5s main character really is Morgana. You sleep, eat and shit based on when he allows you. And given how story heavy the game is, it's very easy for me to see people drop the game in conjunction with other issues (that might otherwise be minor).

I'm not a big fan of Morgana but Morgana > Ryuji > Teddie

If you haven't played Persona 4 and think Morgana's a creeper, you haven't seen anything. Teddie was gross.

Servbot24

Banned
Morgana seems alright early on. Teddy sucked.

Honestly I don't watch that much of their stuff, I just donate because I like what they do. I always watch the podcast and Frame Trap. I enjoy TE as well but sometimes fall behind. I'll watch Huber Hype if it's a topic I care about, and will watch Easy Update unless it's too much of a test for my attention span.

I tried watching a stream a couple times, but I really just don't think video game streams are for me.

arkon

I watch Frametrap on lunch breaks at work. In chunks. So depending on how long the episode is it can take the fulll week to get through. The group streams I tend to have on in the background when I'm at home browsing the internet. Same for the gundam streams. Tabletop I've been catching up on when I'm exercising. Besides those I don't watch all the shows or streams but dip in to the ones that interest me. i definitely prefer the group streams over the solo streams.

Occasionally I get a backlog of stuff but it eventually gets whittled down. It's manageable for me.

I'm not a big fan of Morgana but Morgana > Ryuji > Teddie

If you haven't played Persona 4 and think Morgana's a creeper, you haven't seen anything. Teddie was gross.

Morgana seems alright early on. Teddy sucked.

I disliked Teddie too. But at least I could leave him in the TV world and pretend he didn't exist for a while.

There is absolutely no escaping Morgana. Someone can't even text me on the phone without him making an unnecessary comment about it.

--

I'm like two Frametraps and a bunch if TTE eps behind. I don't like to rush watching the stuff so I don't mind just sneaking in the vids when I can (which ATM is at night with some Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch).

The only video I like finishing as quickly as possible is the podcast. It's a good length for me to sneak in a watch in the middle of the week sometime.

luchadork

After reading that Persona 4G is gross thread, latest Frame Trap with Ian and that little bit of discussion in that Gundam stream, I really want to hear Allies tackle these issues a bit more. In Frame Trap and stream the discussion was cut a bit short and wasn't really specific because of spoilers.

I've heard Ben and few of the Allies talk about the games so much over the years, so it includes Gametrailers too. But not once I've heard them discuss that there is some really questionable content in these games, before Ian did it. So reading that Persona thread really took me by surprise.

what kind of perspective are you expecting from the 16yo chie best waifu / anime club guys? i think you might be disappointed. anyway, isnt part of the appeal of these games the hot teen schoolgirls? i dont have a problem with it.

Listen to podcasts at work. I was off work for the Gundam stream live so I built a Gundam while listening and sending in various questions.

My greatest ambition is to work at a job where I can listen to podcasts. I have to be on the phones all day at my new job. It's been great working again, but going from unemployed to my new position put a huge dent in my ability to keep up with podcasts and streams.

Roussow

Oh man, seeing how Damiani finished Automata was one of the most disappointing fucking things I've seen, man, that was like one of the worst possible ways to experience that ending, damn. I don't want to be super shitty to Damiani, it's fine that he didn't super love it, I'm sorry if this comes off as too mean, but after seeing people like Liam from RisingSuperStream have profound reaction to the conclusion, seeing something like this was just a shame considering how much I enjoyed the game.

Oh man, seeing how Damiani finished Automata was one of the most disappointing fucking things I've seen, man, that was like one of the worst possible ways to experience that ending, damn. I don't want to be super shitty to Damiani, it's fine that he didn't super love it, I'm sorry if this comes off as too mean, but after seeing people like Liam from RisingSuperStream have profound reaction to the conclusion, seeing something like this was just a shame considering how much I enjoyed the game.

What was his reaction? Or what time on the VoD if you recall?

I wonder if his reaction to the ending was similar to mine.

wmlk

Pokemon protagonists do have a little personality, in their animations, their actions in the world, etc. It might not be much but it's personality nonetheless. P5's MC has more personality than that but he's still very much a silent protagonist, far closer to Pokemon than a Final Fantasy.

He's still very much in between. That's the crux of the problem that Kyle has with it. Ben acknowledged it too during the stream, where they try to establish him as a blank stlate but clearly he's more of a character than P4MC and P3MC as shown in the game.

The first big thing P5MC does in the game is pirouette breaking through a glass ceiling just to show off, and he gets called out on it. That already says a lot about his character.

The most you'd see a Pokémon MC do is smile lol. Just watch a video of Sun and Moon, which are the most expressive games in the series, and you'll see how little the protagonist does that is actually out of your control.

It's hard to clarify as a single reaction, here's a link to it with a time-stamp, although you might have to watch at least the next ten minutes and skim around a bit after that.

Don't click that fucking link if you haven't played Nier: Automata, big spoilers!

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Edit: Yea, that was pretty much me. I agree with Damianis comments near the end too regard how predictable some of the plot points and especially twists were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom