• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesta

Banned
after a good number of listens I definitely think I like this more than Plastic Beach. Maybe not quite up to Demon Days and the S/T but still an excellent album.

Doesn't touch Demon Days imo, but I didn't expect it to. It's really good though, and feels thematically similar in that it feels like one long nocturnal journey that gets progressively bleaker as you go on (before the final optimistic song, of course, again like Demon Days). It's got its own unique vibe and sound though, its grown on me a lot. It's very heavily club/party oriented, which might turn some people off at first.

Saturnz Barz/Momentz/Submission is an unimpeachable trifecta of quality.

So...I'm seeing a lot of people call this the 5th album, and before the buildup to this release I didn't know so many people counted The Fall as a real Gorillaz album, huh.

I mean, it technically is, but...it's such a strange thing.

Edit: Saving my full reaction for the OT whenever it goes up, but Humanz is a lot of morbid fun. It's a DAMN. shame it came out when it did though. I don't even know if I can call this the best album to come out this month.

So...I'm seeing a lot of people call this the 5th album, and before the buildup to this release I didn't know so many people counted The Fall as a real Gorillaz album, huh.

I mean, it technically is, but...it's such a strange thing.
I hate The Fall. I never want to listen to it again.

Yeah I never considered The Fall an actual Gorillaz album. It was a fan club album that eventual got an actual release, but it's such a throwaway. Felt more like an advertisement for Apple than anything. "Hey look the whole thing was written on an iPad!".

The Fall's only real saving grace is Revolving Doors, which I regularly keep on rotation.

But you'll have to forgive me as I listen to the B-sides style albums regularly. I listen to Ghost Train, Left Hand Suzuki Method, Stop the Dams and other songs just as regularly as songs from the main albums.

I mean, there's some great jams, but it was written and recorded on their tour bus between dates on an iPad. I just can't call it an honest to God main album.

Clefargle

This album is so dope. Its gonna give DD a run for best album. A couple of songs i always skip slightly tarnish it, but otherwise its sterling. Many tracks are incredibly catchy, infinitely replayable, and definitely danceable.

Top 5:

Shes my collar
Andromeda
Submission
Sex Murder Party
Charger

Dislike:

Halleluja money
Momentz

I love de la sol, but i feel his talent was squandered on momentz. And halleluja money is just slow and meandering without any real hook.

Overall, 9/10 album for me. Ive been listening to a leak for a few days now and its really great work from Albarn et all. The only sad part is it will prolly be another 5 years before the next album. :(

KeRaSh

The Fall's only real saving grace is Revolving Doors, which I regularly keep on rotation.

But you'll have to forgive me as I listen to the B-sides style albums regularly. I listen to Ghost Train, Left Hand Suzuki Method, Stop the Dams and other songs just as regularly as songs from the main albums.

1451882173413.jpg

It's solid, it reminds me a lot of Disclosure.

Whaaaat? I love Disclosure. Reading the last two pages got me excited for so many tracks now. Puyo Puyo Tetris AND this releasing this week?

DocSeuss

Why are so many tracks here lacking in any kind of melody or musicality? It's a lot of stuff that just repeats the same tone without ever seeming to go anywhere? (it's been way too long since I knew how to talk about music properly)

Like, Ascension is really irritating to listen to because it's so repetitive in its sound. Same with Strobelite (I'm on a second listen to try to pin down exactly what's bugging me about it, and that's where I am in the tracks). Skipping ahead, She's My Collar is just... it's the same thing. Super flat. It's got some musicality to it, but Damon keeps his vocals in such a narrow range.

Let Me Out's okay.

The only song I really LIKE Saturnz Barz, where they're actually singing. Got melody n' stuff. Everything else is immensely forgettable, and that's really frustrating to me?

I don't mind Gorillaz doin weird stuff, but Fire Comin Out of the Monkey's Head actually went places; the track in the background was way more pronounced and Dennis Hopper's delivery is amazing. Everything seems so subdued and repetitive here in terms of the overall sound, with the sole exception (I could be forgetting something, I only just now finished listening to the whole album) of Saturnz Barz.

Yeah I never considered The Fall an actual Gorillaz album. It was a fan club album that eventual got an actual release, but it's such a throwaway. Felt more like an advertisement for Apple than anything. "Hey look the whole thing was written on an iPad!".

I had to look this up, because I had always thought that was a joke about the random drop of the album, but wow, it's legit. I do like The Fall, though.

NotLiquid

I mean, I haven't heard the album yet but out of the six songs that were released leading up to release, the only one that hasn't had a discernible hook (which also took some time for me to get into for that reason but which I really enjoy now for its experimental nature) is Ascension. Unless that track is most indicative of the album I don't see how the album lacks melody, and from the snippet I heard I know at least Submission also has a memorable hook.

Why are so many tracks here lacking in any kind of melody or musicality? It's a lot of stuff that just repeats the same tone without ever seeming to go anywhere? (it's been way too long since I knew how to talk about music properly)

Like, Ascension is really irritating to listen to because it's so repetitive in its sound. Same with Strobelite (I'm on a second listen to try to pin down exactly what's bugging me about it, and that's where I am in the tracks). Skipping ahead, She's My Collar is just... it's the same thing. Super flat. It's got some musicality to it, but Damon keeps his vocals in such a narrow range.

Let Me Out's okay.

The only song I really LIKE Saturnz Barz, where they're actually singing. Got melody n' stuff. Everything else is immensely forgettable, and that's really frustrating to me?

I don't mind Gorillaz doin weird stuff, but Fire Comin Out of the Monkey's Head actually went places; the track in the background was way more pronounced and Dennis Hopper's delivery is amazing. Everything seems so subdued and repetitive here in terms of the overall sound, with the sole exception (I could be forgetting something, I only just now finished listening to the whole album) of Saturnz Barz.

It's because this is a club record, so instead of being driven by melodies it's driven by like bass lines and drum machines and repetition is usually pretty inherent to that genre. I agree that some of the songs really needed some more progression or climax in them, but the album has grown on me. It's like the darkest, most disaffected club record I've ever heard which is pretty unique. Ascension is pretty sweet imo, it has a ton of beat changeups and Vince never breaks his flow with it, and the end has some vicious lyrics.

aBarreras

the fall, has amarillo,hillbilly man and little plastic bags as well, amarillo is a stand out on that record

Wurst

2D's singing elevates The Apprentice. Really good song! Might become one of my favorites.
Really excited we're still getting 4 more songs from the Deluxe!

The Apprentice wouldn't have fit anywhere on Humanz as is, so I get why it's a bonus track, but it's a dope bonus track nonetheless

Edit: iTunes released it early, but I think it's running on UK radio at 7:30, so it shouldn't be too long.

aBarreras

Let Me Out's okay.

you arent asking for musicality or melody, you are asking for a cheap hook that makes you remind the song.

you should remind a song for the song, not because has something that hooks you up, i mean everybody has right to have a favorite part of a song, but thats no the point of music.

AdanVC

Can someone kind share a link or give a hint of where I could listen the leaked album!? Hope it's ok to ask this. I REALLY would love to hear dem songz! Thanks!

That live version of Let Me Out has some elements to it that don't appear to have made it to the studio version, making the live version infinitely superior. That's a real shame.

Realeza

Banned
Did you guys who got tickets for the concert get the email to download the CD? I haven't gotten mine, so I was wondering what's up.

Did you guys who got tickets for the concert get the email to download the CD? I haven't gotten mine, so I was wondering what's up.

Yeah I got it the next day, let's you pick between a download or physical CD too. Did you check the Gorillaz website to see if the tickets for that venue come with the album?

Lucent

That live version of Let Me Out has some elements to it that don't appear to have made it to the studio version, making the live version infinitely superior. That's a real shame.

Yeah. Have to agree. Especially the ending. I prefer the live version.

I'm holding out for high quality audio my guys.

With that being said, The Apprentice is gooooood.

The second verse with the female vocals and the funky reverb is so good.

Tall4Life

Guessing the leak out there now is just the House Party? It's fine. Not sure what quality it's at but I thought it was good enough.

Like I want to listen to it now, but I want to listen to a high quality version because the production on Gorillaz songs is usually awesome.... I think I'll just wait for Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom