• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where my Cider drinkers at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of love for all types of Beers, Stouts, Spirits and such

But no love for Cider (at least not since awhile)

I find myself being more of Cider drinker lately and I'm sure I'm not alone.

What do you like about it?
Dislike about it?
Favourite Cider brands?

Talk to me CiderGAF I'm scared

Osahi

I drink it a lot in the summer. Hard to get the real good stuff though. Supermarkets usualy only carry sugary stuff like Strongbow qnd Sommersby. I really like Bulmers, but goat is cider from Normandy.

suaveric

I thought it was about to be the next big thing after microbrews? I've loved cider since my first pint back in '99.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
My wife drinks that swill. She likes some local makers here in BC and tart British style piss water ciders.

I drink it a lot in the summer. Hard to get the real good stuff though. Supermarkets usualy only carry sugary stuff like Strongbow qnd Sommersby. I really like Bulmers, but goat is cider from Normandy.
Normandy?

What makes this stuff better?
I'm open to expanding my Cider range

What are people's opinions on Orchard Theives?

Osahi

Normandy?

What makes this stuff better?
I'm open to expanding my Cider range

They're pretty famous for it. They bottle it in 750ml bottles like wine and keep it very pure (no additives like sugar ). Depends on the kind offcourse, but it tastes a bit harsher and more apple-like then most of the English stuff I drank.

Been there on holiday a few years back and bought some crazy good bottles from local farmers.

Sanjuro

I still can't unsee the tree penis.

Q0dy2gk.png

I stopped drinking this stuff a few years back. Had a friend with on in their fridge that they brought on 2-3 camping trips and was not consumed. Going from cold to warm that many times made it instant vomit fuel.

Lucreto

Cider is the only alcohol I drink. I hate the bitter taste of beer. I prefer the sweet taste.

The 3 brands I drink are

Bulmers (Irish Bulmers not that England version)
Stella Artois Cidre
And my favourite Orchards Thieves

Yes, Crêpe boudin noir aux pommes and a Normandy cider. So good.

Strongbow cider is one of my favorite.

I don't drink often and normally plan a drink during a staycation (E3, 4th of July, etc.) God bless ciders.

Cider is the only alcohol I drink. I hate the bitter taste of beer. I prefer the sweet taste.

The 3 brands I drink are

Stella Artois Cidre
Man are you me?

Potters Craft Cider opened my eyes to cider. Just for reference, I typically prefer beer and scotch.
Hmmm I'd love to try these but I doubt I can get any

Rekorderlig is pretty nice. Prefer the pear flavour the most. I also like Strongbow Dark fruit as well.
Mulled (warm ) cider tasted like straight up aids to me.

Osahi

The 3 brands I drink are

Stella Artois Cidre

Man, sucks so hard Stella is Belgian , but their cider isn't officialy available here. Some supermarkets and beer shops import, but that means prices are on the higher side.

Belgians sadly don't drink a lot of cider, though you see producers like Strongbow trying to push it more with add campaigns. But the better stuff is not easy to find. (Though you can find Normandy cider a bit more easily, but not many different brands)

Some brands I never heard of that I'm taking note of especially Normandy

Like I think with Summer in play nothing beats drinking a nice cold Cider in a beer garden with friends

Goldboy

I don't drink ciders too often anymore, but they'll always have a place in my heart, because when I first started drinking, Angry Orchard was my absolute favorite alcoholic beverage.

codhand

Basque cider is great (Spain). Low carbonation, mild sweetness, refreshing.

French cider, as mentioned (Domaine Dupont). Dryer, funkier like a Champange.

"Wild" [yeast] Cider, (US) tart, sour & funky.

Raised on farmhouse i were.

Far from the home country, but favourite obliteration method is Old Rosie. Nuclear and delicious.

Good British cider should smell like death and taste like nectar. But not be super sweet...

Sai-kun

Banned
I love a good cider, but lately it fills me too fast for me to really get drunk by drinking it :( so I haven't had any in awhile. I might go get some tonight cuz this topic reminded me of it tho

Jezbollah

Thatchers is my usual supermarket go to cider.

I will rarely go for any of the common ciders if I'm in a pub, in fact will always go for the more obscure local stuff.

Most ciders at Beer festivals are amazing though.

megateto

Where they at? In Spain, they're "echando un culín" XD.

Go here How to pour cider, Asturias, Spain / Cómo escanciar sidra, Asturias, España

From the video's description:

The largest producer of cider in Spain is the Atlantic region of Asturias, where cider is considered not only a beverage but an intrinsic part of its culture and folklore. Asturias amounts more than 80% of the whole production of Spain. The consumption of cider in Asturias is of 54 litres per person/year, probably the highest in any European region. One of the most popular ciders in Spain is called "El Gaitero" (the bagpipe player) which can be found everywhere in Spain and which is produced in this region. However, it must not be confused with the traditional Asturian cider as it is a sparkling cider more in the way of French ciders. It is a factory produced cider, sweet and very foamy, much like lambrusco, different from the more artisan and traditional cider productions. Recently, new apple tree plantations have been started in grounds belonging to the old coal mines, once important in Asturias.

The traditional Asturian sidra is a still cider of 4--8% strength, although there are other varieties. Traditionally, it is served in sidrerías and chigres, pubs specializing in cider where it is also possible to have other drinks as well as traditional food. One of the most outstanding characteristics is that it is poured in very small quantities from a height into a wide glass, with the arm holding the bottle extended upwards and the one holding the glass extended downwards. This technique is called escanciar un culín (also echar un culín) and is done to get air bubbles into the drink (espalmar), thus giving it a sparkling taste like Champagne that lasts a very short time. Cider is also poured from barrels in the traditional Espichas.

Elandyll

Banned
Love cider... but man, I miss my grown up Cider (Pommeau 16.5%)...

pommeau-de-normandie-le-pere-jules.jpg

Always on the look out for some (Pinneau is easier to find and really nice).

compo

Banned
I switched to hard cider from beer a few months ago. I've tried Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, Redd's, and this regional brand in the Virginia area called Bold Rock.

I like Angry Orchard's green apple the best. Woodchuck's green apple tastes the most like an actual green apple, if I'm being honest. But the sweeter taste of Angry Orchard makes it easier to drink.

If you can find this, buy it and try it. I've tried a good number of ciders before and after this and none compare (although the other J.K. types are good too). They're a Michigan brand so if you're in that area it's probably easy to find.

y14sxYQ.jpg

I've always liked the Woodchuck ciders. I usually get Amber or Granny Smith depending on what I feel like.

woodchuck-cider-makers-choice-variety.jpg

Cider Jack was also excellent, but they went out of business a looong time ago. I bought a couple cases with a friend when we found out and drank them sparingly.

beer_25.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
I switched to hard cider from beer a few months ago. I've tried Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, Redd's, and this regional brand in the Virginia area called Bold Rock.

I like Angry Orchard's green apple the best. Woodchuck's green apple tastes the most like an actual green apple, if I'm being honest. But the sweeter taste of Angry Orchard makes it easier to drink.

Redd's is so gross. Angry Orchard is good though.

hom3land

Bull city cider recently just reopened a new tap room. Really good stuff and a variety of ciders. I can usually drink 2 before I move back to beer.

8NqXPEo.jpg

One of my local pubs recently got Lilley's Mango cider on tap. Beautiful stuff. Flat, not too sweet - extremely drinkable. Give it a try if you see it around. Shout out to Orchard Pig as well.

Generally prefer the craft Somerset stuff to the mass-produced sickly-sweet Magners / Bulmers / Kopparberg, but a nice dry cider can be hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom