• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Could you please refrain from using epithets in reference to religious people? In my opinion, this is akin to using the f-word for gay people, b-word for women, etc.

It's nothing like using those words. Being gay or being a woman is something you are born with. Being a Christian is a decision you choose to make, it is not an innate quality. Calling someone a bible thumper is criticizing an irrational decision that person made.

likeGdid

It boggles the mind that in a country like the USA, droves of people thank and appreciate a fast food company for donating to anti gay causes.
I do wonder if it would be as acceptable to gloatingly support a company for donating to anti-interracial marriage causes.

It boggles the mind that in a country like the USA, droves of people thank and appreciate a fast food company for donating to anti gay causes.

Why? It's not the the US woke up one day and said Civil Rights is "A OK". The US is very religious too. Gay rights was always going to be an issue where liberals have to drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
I do wonder if it would be as acceptable to gloatingly support a company for donating to anti-interracial marriage causes.

It would have been OK in the 50's. Anyone seen "The Help".

Kusagari

Almost every single person I've seen doing this glosses over that. They just go on and on that they're defending free speech.

Which somehow implies that boycotting a company is an infringement on that companies free speech

Yoritomo

I wonder what the in-and-out stance, or hell even Jack in the Box stances are on gay marriage?

Almost every single person I've seen doing this glosses over that. They just go on and on that they're defending free speech.

Which somehow implies that boycotting a company is an infringement on that companies free speech

Mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco calling for bans. Boycotting a company is not. Legislation specifically targeting a company based on the opinion of its CEO that isn't reflected by discrimination within the hiring practices of the company is.

So everyone got all pissy. I have to admit that all this talk about Chick Fil-A is making me hungry for chick fil-a even though the CEO is a moron christianist.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I don't have a clue, and I'm cynical enough to not want to find out.

Why? It's not the the US woke up one day and said Civil Rights is "A OK". The US is very religious too. Gay rights was always going to be an issue where liberals have to drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
It's the way that the religious right in the US seem so outwardly hostile to minorities that shocks me. The Phelps clan are going to be a sad inevitability, but so many people flipping the bird to an entire class of people? Must everything like "appreciate Chik Fil A" be so personally insulting and not measured politics?

Cuz someone insulting their favourite chicken is a grave insult.

Esiquio

What's up with all the people talking about deleting their friends off of Facebook for going to Chick-fil-a today? I find it weird how people do that without actually talking to the person at all...I mean, why even have them as a friend anyways if you can end the relationship with a delete button?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's nothing like using those words. Being gay or being a woman is something you are born with. Being a Christian is a decision you choose to make, it is not an innate quality. Calling someone a bible thumper is criticizing an irrational decision that person made.
Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not anti-religion and I don't condone blanket attacks on religious people. While it was cute when Game Analyst took me out of context, I was actually referring to how I've seen the guy spam threads with bible quotes and commentary.

Valnen

So I have a friend that wants to go to Chik Fil A today. Despite earlier statements about boycotts not mattering and such and being willing to eat there anyway...I actually feel uncomfortable and am actually tempted to just say no and not go.

I mean, their lemonade sounds REALLY good right now. But it just doesn't feel right? I don't get myself sometimes. It makes no logical sense whatsoever to not eat there because of their practices because not eating there changes nothing. But it still feels wrong for some reason...

So I have a friend that wants to go to Chik Fil A today. Despite earlier statements about boycotts not mattering and such and being willing to eat there anyway...I actually feel uncomfortable and am actually tempted to just say no and not go.

I mean, their lemonade sounds REALLY good right now. But it just doesn't feel right? I don't get myself sometimes. It makes no logical sense whatsoever to not eat there because of their practices because not eating there changes nothing. But it still feels wrong for some reason...

It does change something, though.

It changes whether or not you fund anti-gay organizations.

Eric C

I wonder what the in-and-out stance, or hell even Jack in the Box stances are on gay marriage?

I think that's the whole point of the controversy. You don't have to wonder what Chick-Fil-A's stance is. They made it crystal clear.

As someone earlier in the thread said, you know how companies occasionally advertize that a portion of the money made with every purchase goes to a certain charity, and some people choose to support that company instead of it's competitors because they're contributing to a good cause. With Chick-Fil-A they made it pretty clear that they unapologetically donate to anti-gay causes, some people don't feel good about that and will get a chicken sandwich somewhere else.

Just go tomorrow if you want to avoid this particular date - even I wouldn't go today. There's nothing wrong with eating there in general. Your particular franchise has nothing to do with the nonsense a corporate owner has to say

Cyan

Banned

Because today is an "appreciation day," going today implies that you agree with their anti-gay stance. That might be what's bothering you.

Just go tomorrow if you want to avoid this particular date - even I wouldn't go today. There's nothing wrong with eating there in general. Your particular franchise has nothing to do with the nonsense a corporate owner has to say

As long as you're comfortable supporting and funding bigotry.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It does change something, though.

It changes whether or not you fund anti-gay organizations.
I don't think I'd ever want to associate with someone who'd say things similar to the "Doesn't matter, their food is delicious and I'm going right now!" posts in this thread. People bragging about not giving a shit.

Yeah, so in light of this little "support Chick-Fil-A day" and all the anecdotes of places being packed I'm just going to repeat myself from my previous post and say that eating at a restaurant just to spite gays is ten times worse than avoiding a place because they donate to homophobic causes.

"I don't see the big deal"
Homophobes are MAKING it a big deal. Why would you eat something to spite other people and flaunt your homophobia? SMH.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Even if you don't plan on boycotting, I wouldn't go today. Eating at Chick-Fil-A today sends a message that you're actively supporting them, and if nothing else, I can't imagine that any fast food is worth the lines that people have been talking about.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Don't know how many people see this everyday but this is the first time I have seen it in the area I live in, panhandle of FL. Sickening.

LXHMp.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chick-Fil-A support had me backed up in traffic for about 45 min during my lunch break.

Fuck you, Arbys. Why do you have to be next door??!?!?

Park car, cross-street. Order at Arbys/To-go. Get back in car. GTFO of dodge. Eat. ???? PROFIT!

I'm dreading driving past Chick-Fil-A on the way to work today, but thankfully the drive home should be less hassle.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Don't know how many people see this everyday but this is the first time I have seen it in the area I live in, panhandle of FL. Sickening.
It's times like these that I'm glad nothing like that goes on where I live. I don't think I'd be able to contain myself.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Once again, it's not about words, it's about money.

I 'm annoyed with all the "likes" on facebook for Chick-Fil-A today. I decided to join their passive aggressive voicing of beliefs and liked Amazon instead.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
It's times like these that I'm glad nothing like that goes on where I live. I don't think I'd be able to contain myself.

Oh believe me it is very difficult, have a friend here who writes for a local paper who posted the photo on facebook.

Happy I was not the one to see it, have an openly gay brother who does a lot for on campus for equality.

Trey

As long as you're comfortable supporting and funding bigotry.

Or buying a product you want wherein a pittance of your payment goes toward supporting organizations that support policies you disagree with.

Though, I'm sure you can get lemonade elsewhere.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
This is the first time posting in this thread and I might get some hate. I am one who believes that a marriage should be between a man and woman. I also believe that gays should not be denied the same rights as married couples. My views are evolving though as this world changes. I do enjoy eating at Chick Fil A and was not aware that they donate to gay hating groups. If there was a chance to support them or protest I would join the protesters. Can't imagine how packed the local place is today. Don't think I would stop eating there completely but visits will be less and less.

Once again, it's not about words, it's about money.

Which remains a convoluted argument that you continue to regulate to a vacuum. I doubt anyone buys a Microsoft product while thinking "ah, my money is going to support the Chamber of Commerce/SOPA/etc."

What I buy at an individual franchise/business supports that individual franchise/business' first, from payroll to whatever else. This isn't about "supporting" bigotry, which is a ridiculous charge that labels people bigots who aren't.

Cyan

Banned
This is the first time posting in this thread and I might get some hate. I am one who believes that a marriage should be between a man and woman. I also believe that gays should not be denied the same rights as married couples. My views are evolving though as this world changes. I do enjoy eating at Chick Fil A and was not aware that they donate to gay hating groups. If there was a chance to support them or protest I would join the protesters. Can't imagine how packed the local place is today. Don't think I would stop eating there completely but visits will be less and less.

Yes, you will probably get some blowback on your separate but equal stance.

KingGondo

Banned
I am one who believes that a marriage should be between a man and woman. I also believe that gays should not be denied the same rights as married couples.
Think about what you just typed.

The label is important. Creating a separate-but-equal classification for same-sex couples does not mean that these couples are equal in the eyes of society.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dont have any CFA close around me to see how busy it is but going by a news stations fb post it seems all the CFAs were busy.

Bullshit. You live in Jax. I know for a fact there's at least 5 in a 50 block radius around Orange Park.

Trey

Which remains a convoluted argument that you continue to regulate to a vacuum. I doubt anyone buys a Microsoft product while thinking "ah, my money is going to support the Chamber of Commerce/SOPA/etc."

What I buy at an individual franchise/business supports that individual franchise/business' first, from payroll to whatever else. This isn't about "supporting" bigotry, which is a ridiculous charge that labels people bigots who aren't.

It's a simplification that, while logically true, is practically disingenuous.

There are some unsavory people who are eating at CFA for no reason but to spite a suppressed demographic, though.

Your position on this puts you in a category of second classing citizens. You make them unequal by doing this.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

You're right, they're not necessarily bigots, but they believe that the marginal benefit of a CFA chicken sandwich over other comparable restaurants is greater in value than not consciously giving money to bigots. Not a good look if you claim to care much about gay rights.

JeTmAn81

This is just reminding me of the joke about the Microsoft vacuum. You know, it's the only Microsoft product that doesn't suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom