• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

Wardancer

Neo Member
No other game this year makes people even half as excited when they reach top 10 or win a match this year. The emotion, heart-rate and just sheer explosion of cheering in voice chat when you win a squad match in PUBG makes it a clear GOTY contender.

PUBG strikes a perfect balance of the investment and round length. If you die you can just jump in and play again, no sweat but if you survive the first 10 minutes you are invested enough to really want to survive and win. But it never lasts for more than some 40-45 minutes.

Comparing it to DayZ just shows how clueless you are.

Triteon

If it comes out of EA it'll be at on my list somewhere close to the top if not the top.

Put me down as someone who thinks it is possible to mess a good thing up by messing with it too much.

My impression: it is only the game of the week and got a lot of relevant youtubers feedback. Sure, it is fun, but still in early access. Maybe when/if becomes a full game can we start talking about if it is a goty contender?

I think it has proven to be more then just a youtube fad. People are excited about this game. Everyone who has played it has a story of something crazy that happened to them. It has proven to be a fantastic concept that is being implemented extremely well so far.

It's explosion reminds me of Rocket League, and I expect it will stick around much like Rocket League has.

Certainly not too early to talk about it as a goty contender. Game isn't even finished and it has taken so many gamers by storm.

Joey Ravn

Banned
No other game this year makes people even half as excited when they reach top 10 or win a match this year. The emotion, heart-rate and just sheer explosion of cheering in voice chat when you win a squad match in PUBG makes it a clear GOTY contender.

PUBG strikes a perfect balance of the investment and round length. If you die you can just jump in and play again, no sweat but if you survive the first 10 minutes you are invested enough to really want to survive and win. But it never lasts for more than some 40-45 minutes.

Comparing it to DayZ just shows how clueless you are.

I don't think anyone who has played the game is dismissing how fun it can be. It's the technical aspects of the game that are in question. There's no denying that the game is buggy, janky and sometimes outright broken. Can you give it a pass, even make it GOTY, because it's fun? That's the big question.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think GOTY awards are like movie awards, that don't just focus on gameplay and the fun factor. For example, many people love Star Wars, LOTR etc, but they don't always get the awards. I think there are other factors that critics consider, such as art, design, graphics etc..

To be truthful its an impossible comparison as games cover such a lot of ground.

How do you have a single "best of the year" candidate when you have the equivalent to books (single player story-based games) and team-sports (stuff like PUBG) mixed in together?

If you can't match stuff up point-for-point, what's the use? Its just speaks to a need to hand out a gong to someone!

You may as well have a "fruit of the year" prize and get into an argument about the relative merits of apples and oranges.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I don't think anyone who has played the game is dismissing how fun it can be. It's the technical aspects of the game that are in question. There's no denying that the game is buggy, janky and sometimes outright broken. Can you give it a pass, even make it GOTY, because it's fun? That's the big question.

Yes?

Also I don't really have all that many technical issues, the occasional crash but the game works pretty damn well for a game of its scale and player numbers. The only real super jank is the start of match lag in high population areas and the vehicle physics (which is due to lag and client side physics).

In fact the tech aspects of the game seems like a broken meme at this point, yes there are issues but for the most part the game works really well for what it is. People keep yelling about "optimisations" without having any idea about what that means.

But most of the arguments are still about "not finished" etc and thats where I really don't get peoples objections, its as if they are still playing games pre internet. Almost all big AAA games see fairly major changes post release. Like the game is out for sale, do you enjoy it? Okay then its a GOTY contender.

Durante

My impression: it is only the game of the week
pubg_spyjbs3a.png

Long week I guess.

Can you give it a pass, even make it GOTY, because it's fun? That's the big question.
I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim won one or two GotY rewards. Does this answer your question?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yes?

Also I don't really have all that many technical issues, the occasional crash but the game works pretty damn well for a game of its scale and player numbers. The only real super jank is the start of match lag in high population areas and the vehicle physics (which is due to lag and client side physics).

In fact the tech aspects of the game seems like a broken meme at this point, yes there are issues but for the most part the game works really well for what it is. People keep yelling about "optimisations" without having any idea about what that means.

But most of the arguments are still about "not finished" etc and thats where I really don't get peoples objections, its as if they are still playing games pre internet. Almost all big AAA games see fairly major changes post release. Like the game is out for sale, do you enjoy it? Okay then its a GOTY contender.

You are dismissing every opinion that is not yours as "nah, you're wrong, the game's perfectly fine as it is". It's GOTY for you, fine. I get it.

Wardancer

Neo Member
You are dismissing every opinion that is not yours as "nah, you're wrong, the game's perfectly fine as it is". It's GOTY for you, fine. I get it.

And people saying a EA game cant win or the game is a shitty PS2 game aren't dismissing everyone else?

How am I more dismissive than half this thread?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not sure why people are suggesting this will make Giant Bomb's GOTY list, it's Early Access and they don't include games that haven't released during the year. Is it likely to leave early access before the end of the year?

Ladekabel

Not sure why people are suggesting this will make Giant Bomb's GOTY list, it's Early Access and they don't include games that haven't released during the year. Is it likely to leave early access before the end of the year?

It is planned to "release" Q4 2017.

I almost bought it yesterday because of threads like this. Early access keeps me away though for the moment. I always think back to day z and how much I spent in time and money to try and like it

PUBG won't win goty because it's a multiplayer game for some reason, despite being one of the best games this year. But Overwatch won goty last year (and rightfully so)

they made illusions to the idea that if it's not out before end of year they will have to think about what they can do for it. I'm guessing they just change their "rules" so that it gets on. As they should.

fuzzyset

They've discussed it on recent Bomb/Beast casts. It basically seems like they're gonna push for Jeff to let up of the Early Access thing if it doesn't hit 1.0 this year.

People putting pubg above zelda as GOTY are crazy!

I guess for people coming into this type of game for the first time it's more of a big deal? I play a lot of Pubg and I doubt it will be in my top 5.

DrArchon

People are playing it. If it's the most fun someone is having from a game this year, it should be their game of the year.

I think Alex brought this up on an episode of the Giant Beastcast, but what if PUBG misses its 2017 release date and actually releases 1.0 in 2018. Is it eligible for GOTY two years in a row? People bought it in 2017, but what if it releases next year?

Interesting stuff.

I think Alex brought this up on an episode of the Giant Beastcast, but what if PUBG misses its 2017 release date and actually releases 1.0 in 2018. Is it eligible for GOTY two years in a row? People bought it in 2017, but what if it releases next year?

Interesting stuff.

Nah, if it's eligible this year this is its only chance. And I think it should be eligible, regardless of its early access status. The zeitgeist around the game is now. It's hugely popular and loved by those playing it now. In a year, while I'm sure it will still be popular, the hype will have died down. The press will have moved on to other games by necessity, we won't be seeing daily or weekly streams from big outlets in 2018 as we have the past 3 months. 2017 is the games best chance even though it'll undoubtedly be a smoother, more feature packed experienced in a year, so why deny it that for arbitrary reasons if people love the game now?

cyress8

Banned
Only thing I will say would be that AAA games need to step it up if EA games such as this are more fun to play and are more deserving of GotY awards.

faridmon

It should.

Definitely up there for me along with Splatoon 2 and Prey

People putting pubg above zelda as GOTY are crazy!

I guess for people coming into this type of game for the first time it's more of a big deal? I play a lot of Pubg and I doubt it will be in my top 5.

Zelda, while amazing game by its own right, didn't resonate with me like other people here. I would say its top 5 but not top 3 for me

I was playing last night and had to take a break because I thought I was about to have a heart attack. The only other game that has that effect on me is Alien Isolation. I love it and its definitely a contender in my eyes. That it is an early access game is irrelevant when it is so much more fun than most finished games.

Akronis

I was playing last night and had to take a break because I thought I was about to have a heart attack. The only other game that has that effect on me is Alien Isolation. I love it and its definitely a contender in my eyes. That it is an early access game is irrelevant when it is so much more fun than most finished games.

Yo for extra fun put a heart rate monitor on while you play. Getting to the last 10 people always gets the juices flowing.

nowarning

Absolutely. Regardless of whether or not it leaves EA this year, me and my friends haven't had this much fun playing a game in a very long time.

If the game didn't receive another single update, I'm sure we would still be playing it non-stop and having a great time.

Galava

Being fun and a phenomenon is just not enough for a game to be GOTY the same way a movie being fun and a phenomenon is not enough to win Oscars (otherwise Marvel would have already won a couple of best picture awards).

For it’s own category of multiplayer games? Or gaming phenomenon? PUBG can be the winner ofc. For GOTY? Let’s wait until all games release this year and then we will see. (PUBG has to release this year to be GOTY contender).

I like playing it with friends. But I think I like the idea or concept of it more than the game itself.

The game itself is laggy amd buggy ad hell! An this yeat had had a lot of quality games already and is only half over!

I personally wouldn't consider an early access game for goty for a few reasons. Sometimes these early access games will be early access for years, should I give it goty every year? If adding and working on a game is all that is needed to be considered for goty should overwatch and ffxv also be considered?

Games as a service and early access super blue the line, hence why my view is a game is considered for a goty when the developer says "this is the official launch day of version 1.0". If PUBG comes out of early access this year then it should be considered for goty.

I have no problem if people put it for their personal goty list that's their choice. If you want your goty to be diablo 3 because you played it 1000 hours this year after it got some small new content updates more power to you. Goty is so subjective anyway that it's silly to get upset if someone includes an early access or game as a service game in their list. I do think major review sites should preface what is or isn't being considered for goty and it might help if gaffers posted something similar for their lists at the end of the year.

Being fun and a phenomenon is just not enough for a game to be GOTY the same way a movie being fun and a phenomenon is not enough to win Oscars (otherwise Marvel would have already won a couple of best picture awards).

For it’s own category of multiplayer games? Or gaming phenomenon? PUBG can be the winner ofc. For GOTY? Let’s wait until all games release this year and then we will see. (PUBG has to release this year to be GOTY contender).

All you can really do is judge how many people really thought a game was the most enjoyable option that year.

The alternative is to get into drawn out discussions about which game has the best merits as art, and while that is a legit discussion, you wouldn't catch me trying to defend the deeper meaning of something like Persona 5.

Sure games like COD are really popular but it's pretty obvious PUBG isn't in the same type of situation. It's got a hold on people even websites like GAF that typically skew away from extreme mainstream stuff.

Par Score

If a metric is causing a game like PlunkBat to potentially not be considered for a GotY award, then whoever created or polices that metric needs to have a long hard look at how useful it is. Whether PlunkBat ends up releasing December 1st 2017 or January 1st 2018 has absolutely zero impact on its status as one of 2017's most important and best games.

Having a blanket "No Early Access" rule is clearly the wrong position to hold at this point. Early Access is just a label, just like "Games as a Service". Overwatch, DotA2, Rainbow 6 Seige. These were all "released" but have changed just as much if not more than PlunkBat has since its non-release.

The idea that all games will at some point be "finished" is just no longer true. If a game is commercially available, then it should be re-viewable and eligible for consideration against any applicable awards in the here and now.

big fake

Nah not really, it really isn't fully released. It's a typical multiplayer experience. Really didn't do anything remarkable in a year where every GotY game has been extremely remarkable.

Top Bottom