• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

SandTorso

Thanks. I don't see the S720 available here in the UK, looking around at the moment, the Denon 2300w, the Onkyo 656 and the Yamaha 681 are all discounted to practically the same price. I don't see much of a difference in specs apart from the Denon having a few more HDMI ports, which I'm not sure I need, and the other two have phono input and the Yamaha runs cooler. So it might come down to sound and performance, anyone got any idea on this?

Can't say anything about every model you listed, but from what I've heard Denon typically has the best audio quality (their room correction software isn't pretty incredible), followed by the Yamaha, and then onkyo is the known for having a hdmi board reliability issues. Equal pricing I'd go denon, but if you REALLY want a phono in and don't have a preamp for your turntable already, then the Yamaha probably is a good choice as well.

Yukstin

Thanks. I don't see the S720 available here in the UK, looking around at the moment, the Denon 2300w, the Onkyo 656 and the Yamaha 681 are all discounted to practically the same price. I don't see much of a difference in specs apart from the Denon having a few more HDMI ports, which I'm not sure I need, and the other two have phono input and the Yamaha runs cooler. So it might come down to sound and performance, anyone got any idea on this?

I can't speak to the Onkyo or Denon but I have an upgraded version of the Yamaha you're looking at and it's fantastic. Easy setup with the mic system, good on screen menu and sound is great.

Timbuktu

Can't say anything about every model you listed, but from what I've heard Denon typically has the best audio quality (their room correction software isn't pretty incredible), followed by the Yamaha, and then onkyo is the known for having a hdmi board reliability issues. Equal pricing I'd go denon, but if you REALLY want a phono in and don't have a preamp for your turntable already, then the Yamaha probably is a good choice as well.

I can't speak to the Onkyo or Denon but I have an upgraded version of the Yamaha you're looking at and it's fantastic. Easy setup with the mic system, good on screen menu and sound is great.

Thanks guys. That helps, hoping to make the purchase this weekend! Looks like everyone else got theirs before xmas.

owned Onkyo, Pioneer, and recently Denon as it was on sale at Frys for $300.

Denon blows everything out of the water. It ain't even close.

My living room finally feels like a mini theater. I have Polk Monitor 70 speakers.

I am NEVER going back to anything besides Denon.

m@cross

Looking to grab a receiver for an eventual 4k tv purchase and ps4 Pro. I think I can get a decent one for $500 or so, but I want to be sure I get the right specs. I need it to be under 6" High, and know I need HDCP 2.2.

What else are the minimum specs/features I need to be pretty future proof? Probably coupling this with something like a Samsung KS8000/9000.

A.Romero

Looking to grab a receiver for an eventual 4k tv purchase and ps4 Pro. I think I can get a decent one for $500 or so, but I want to be sure I get the right specs. I need it to be under 6" High, and know I need HDCP 2.2.

What else are the minimum specs/features I need to be pretty future proof? Probably coupling this with something like a Samsung KS8000/9000.

There is nothing in the market (as far as I know) that supports the newest hdmi standard so nothing will be future proof.

Most of the receivers in the $500 from brands like onkyo, Yamaha, denon, etc support hdcp 2.2 so you should be fine with the display sets you listed.

So I've just got a Pro and have it hooked up as follows:

Pro->Denon X2300W (HDMI supplied with PS4 Pro)->Samsung KS8000 (UK Model) (A high speed HDMI cable).

Upon firing up the Pro, I get the message

"Your TV might support a higher quality colour format and 4K HDR if you change its settings"

"HDR on your TV: Only 4K supported"

"Colour Format: YUV420"

Help! - What do I need to get the higher quality picture that it is suggesting?

I have HDR set on the HDMI port I'm connected to from the Denon. Anything else I need to set?

III-V

So I've just got a Pro and have it hooked up as follows:

Pro->Denon X2300W (HDMI supplied with PS4 Pro)->Samsung KS8000 (UK Model) (A high speed HDMI cable).

Upon firing up the Pro, I get the message

"Your TV might support a higher quality colour format and 4K HDR if you change its settings"

"HDR on your TV: Only 4K supported"

"Colour Format: YUV420"

Help! - What do I need to get the higher quality picture that it is suggesting?

I have HDR set on the HDMI port I'm connected to from the Denon. Anything else I need to set?

Are you on the beta?

YUV 420 or YUV422 ia fine for HDR content. For SDR content, you can force RGB 444 from the PS4 Pro display settings

Are you on the beta?

YUV 420 or YUV422 ia fine for HDR content. For SDR content, you can force RGB 444 from the PS4 Pro display settings

I should have said "only 2k Supported". In any case, a combination of turning everything off and on again and replugging cables seems to have sorted it out. Previously, the RGB option was not available and it was telling me that 2k HDR only was supported by my TV. Not it tells me 2K/4K and the RGB option is available. I've set everything on the PS4 to auto - is that the way to go?

Edit: As an example, playing Infamous Second Son, and the PS4 is telling me its outputting 3840 x 2160 - YUV422.

III-V

I should have said "only 2k Supported". In any case, a combination of turning everything off and on again and replugging cables seems to have sorted it out. Previously, the RGB option was not available and it was telling me that 2k HDR only was supported by my TV. Not it tells me 2K/4K and the RGB option is available. I've set everything on the PS4 to auto - is that the way to go?

Edit: As an example, playing Infamous Second Son, and the PS4 is telling me its outputting 3840 x 2160 - YUV422.

Sometimes auto can cause problems with Samsung. You may want to force the PS4 Pro to 'limited' if you are not really sure.

ElNino

owned Onkyo, Pioneer, and recently Denon as it was on sale at Frys for $300.

Denon blows everything out of the water. It ain't even close.

My living room finally feels like a mini theater. I have Polk Monitor 70 speakers.

I am NEVER going back to anything besides Denon.
Nothing wrong with Denon, as they make some pretty good AVRs, but when you say they blow everything out of the water... I assume you mean compared to the other (Onkyo and Pioneer) systems you've owned?

I would generally agree if that is the case, although there are certainly Pioneer and Onkyo AVRs that I would rather use than some Denons, but compared to other brands I think there are plenty of options that are at least on par with Denon (if not blowing it out of the water).

Older Harman Kardons were pretty good (although I can't comment on the newer products which is under different ownership I believe) and I'm also partial to Marantz, their slim line is particularly useful for those where space is a premium and don't require a ton of features they wouldn't use while still wanting terrific audio. Not to mention you can also go with separate audio processors and amps like Emotiva or NAD.

philm87

I have an old AV receiver but connect the PS4 pro directly to the TV (Samsung KS9000) and send the sound back via ARC. I can run Dolby and DTS 5.1 surround sound perfectly and obviously have no issue with 4k/HDR as the PS4 Pro is connected directly to the TV.

LowParry

Welp. My RX-V379 does not support HDR unless I'm missing a setting that I can't find. But! Looks like I'm in the market for a new reciever. Any recommendations? Nothing too fancy. I have my two front, center and sub for speakers. Maybe around $300.

Edit: Decided on just upgrading my current box. RX-V381.

jfoul

Looking for a new receiver after buying a 65 inch Samsung KS8500. I was looking at the ($349.99) Denon AVR-S920W & ($299.99) Denon AVR-S720W. Anybody have one of these, or info about added input lag running through these receivers?

Gav

I have a Sony DN860 which wont pass through HDR. I am therefore currently using the ARC function from the TV - but this obviously limits me to the lossy sound formats on the PS4 Pro etc.

Is there something that will let me split the HDMI sound from the video, so i can still send the video to the TV, and can have the lossless audio to my receiver? I believe the HD Fury will do this, but i was curious if there was anything that cost less - its halfway to a new receiver.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So until I can get a new receiver is optical the only way to get sound? I have a new Samsung 4K set and a PS4 Pro, but my Onkyo unit doesn't support 4k. Right now I have optical going from the TV to the receiver, and the Pro going to the TV.

I'm not sure there's really anything else I can do right now.

I have an old AV receiver but connect the PS4 pro directly to the TV (Samsung KS9000) and send the sound back via ARC. I can run Dolby and DTS 5.1 surround sound perfectly and obviously have no issue with 4k/HDR as the PS4 Pro is connected directly to the TV.

Is there an HDMI out on the KS9000? I was thinking of trying this, but on the input brick that comes with that TV I don't remember an HDMI out that you could run back to the receiver...

Lady Gaia

Is there an HDMI out on the KS9000? I was thinking of trying this, but on the input brick that comes with that TV I don't remember an HDMI out that you could run back to the receiver...

HDMI is bidirectional. So long as your AVR is connected to HDMI1 you can configure ARC to allow audio return over the same cable that's delivering video to the TV. Note that ARC isn't any better than optical for audio formats and it comes with a few irritating habits from HDMI-CEC, so I've stuck with optical instead.

Audyssey is good and the cost of entry is low, but two better options are DIRAC and ARC2. Far superior when as they can calibrate frequency response and impulse response, set custom targets, not just a curve that is movie, or music. A legit custom target for every profile you save. Plus the fact that all computation are not done within the unit itself is huge.

Audyssey is more accessible by far in the amount of products it's available in and the price of those products, but DIRAC and ARC2 are much better if you get a chance to use them.

Acram, Anthem, Emotiva, and a few others offer them, but cost of entry is what keeps people from them when compared to other offerings that have more fluff/bells and whistles for lower cost.

Another good alternative is REW and a UMIK 1. That will get the job done for sure without the need of any auto calibration in the unit.

Smaart with a UMIK 1 is even better, and the Smaart software is actually what Dolby engineers use to calibrate mixing rooms. They usually use a 3-microphone setup instead of a UMIK-1 but it'll do the trick too. IMAX guys actually only use one mic for their calibration.

Filth

Just to give myself some relief. Could i run powered monitors to a reciever without issues? I have it going to a dac right now that is working perfectly. Just curious if im going to have to get new speakers.

LOLCats

Banned
For those in the mid range receiver market. Frys has the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1060 for 729$ this week. it sends HDR in mode 2 passthrough.

wurzle

Neo Member
Has anybody been able to get their PS4P & KS8000 to pass through 5.1 audio via hdmi-arc to an avr? I'm only able to get stereo to pass through, despite messing with every setting I can find on both the ps4 and the tv.

My setup:

PS4P --HDMI-input-1--> KS8000 --HDMI-4-(ARC)--> Yamaha RXV379

On the PS4 I've set audio to bitstream, and tried both Dolby and DTS preferred

On the TV, I know HDMI-ARC is working because the built in Netflix app is playing 5.1 audio through the receiver no problem. I've tried changing the passthrough settings, but whether it is set to linear or bitstream, and dolby or dts, the PS4 audio is stereo-only.

I found a thread that's been going for over 3 years on the Playstation forums where people have several theories about EDID detection issues etc, but I haven't found any fixes yet.

JaguarCROW

Just wanted to update that I am still experiencing the problems noted back at launch of PS4 Pro. All Firmware updates installed for the receiver. Denon AVR X6200W is fully up-to-date with ECO mode disabled and if the connection is:

PS4 Pro --> Denon AVR X6200W -> LG OLED = Very frequent audio and video disconnect+ reconnects making it useless. Now takes only a few seconds for it to occur with System Software version 4.5 and renders the setup unusable.

PS4 Pro -> LG OLED = Very rare audio dropout ( somewhere between once every 30 minutes to an hour for just a second or so - no video drop outs)

All cables are Blue Jean Cables certified High-Speed Premium HDMI Cables
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026NX4AC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Note that none of these issues were present with the PS4 (Launch) and PS4 Slim which were used for months using the same TV and Receiver.

Very Very frustrating.

Is anybody using an AVR with Nintendo Switch and able to use the HDMI-CEC "Match TV Power State" feature?

If so, what brand and model AVR? Thanks.

III-V

Is anybody using an AVR with Nintendo Switch and able to use the HDMI-CEC "Match TV Power State" feature?

If so, what brand and model AVR? Thanks.

Is this the feature where it will change to the proper HDMI input when the power is turned on? If so, then yes, I use a Denon X1300W.

Very Very frustrating.

I have had zero issues with my Denon X1300W, so I would imagine the issue is with the cables. If all your cables are high speed, like for the cable box, try switching the cable with one that never drops out.

MikeyB

So our new place is set up for a home theatre. The previous owner left the speakers in the ceiling, and doing a quick check with a AAA, they seem to all work.

The problem is that I know nothing about receivers and I am not an audiophile. Most of the receiver reviews I see are written for audiophiles and I am lost in the jargon.

The result is that I have avoided choosing a receiver for months and during that time, I think the TV speakers have been blown (I blame the Arrival).

Now is the time. Help me pick from the following receivers on sale. All prices in Canadian.

Onkyo TX-NR656 - $550
Denon AVR-S720W - $500
Onkyo TX-NR555 - $450
Sony STR-DH770 - $400

More than $500 is getting steep (taxes add 13%!), and I am worried that once I get below $400, even I will be able to hear the difference or it won't support 4K, for whenver I get a PS4 Pro and a 4k tv.

Thpights?

jfoul

Anybody have the DENON AVR-X2300W , or DENON AVR-X3300W

• AVR-X2300W is $399 at Fry's with the Friday personal code.
  • AVR-X3300W is $519 at Fry's with the Saturday personal code.

Looks like the X3300 has Video Conversion Analog -> HDMI, and has Audyssey XT32.

Edit - Actually, I might wait for HDMI 2.1 spec revisions. I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V673 that already has analog to HDMI conversion.

Anybody have the DENON AVR-X2300W , or DENON AVR-X3300W

• AVR-X2300W is $399 at Fry's with the Friday personal code.
  • AVR-X3300W is $519 at Fry's with the Saturday personal code.

Looks like the X3300 has Video Conversion Analog -> HDMI, and has Audyssey XT32.

Edit - Actually, I might wait for HDMI 2.1 spec revisions. I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V673 that already has analog to HDMI conversion.

I have x3300 for $480 on Black Friday. Love it, works fine with PS4 pro and Xbox one s.

So our new place is set up for a home theatre. The previous owner left the speakers in the ceiling, and doing a quick check with a AAA, they seem to all work.

The problem is that I know nothing about receivers and I am not an audiophile. Most of the receiver reviews I see are written for audiophiles and I am lost in the jargon.

The result is that I have avoided choosing a receiver for months and during that time, I think the TV speakers have been blown (I blame the Arrival).

Now is the time. Help me pick from the following receivers on sale. All prices in Canadian.

Onkyo TX-NR656 - $550
Denon AVR-S720W - $500
Onkyo TX-NR555 - $450
Sony STR-DH770 - $400

More than $500 is getting steep (taxes add 13%!), and I am worried that once I get below $400, even I will be able to hear the difference or it won't support 4K, for whenver I get a PS4 Pro and a 4k tv.

Thpights?

I got the Onkyo TX-NR656 for $350 a week ago off Amazon via 3rd party seller. If you go with a 3rd party seller, make sure they're an Onkyo authorized reseller so Onkyo will still honor your warranty. You can find the list of auth'd resellers on Onkyo's website.

Love the receiver. Has no issues passing 4k video from my XB1S or 4K games from the Pro. HDR looks amazing. LG OLED btw.

III-V

If you can't wait for HDMI 2.1, I really like Denon. I purchased an X1300W at a good value, and it suits my needs:

7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, HDCP2.2, HDR, Audyssey MultEQ XT, 6/1 HDMI In/Out

jfoul

Yamaha RX-V83 Series Info

We won't be seeing HDMI 2.1 features until next April / May. Might as well get a 2016 model on sale in the next 4-8 weeks, if you can't wait. I'm probably just going to use Yamaha RX-V673 until next year, unless I see a really good deal on the Denon AVRX3300.

Does anyone have sound mixing issues when using stereo speakers with their receiver? I noticed when trying to play a video file via VLC, the voice track would be almost completely inaudible--but when I'd unplug my computer from the receiver and use the laptop speakers, everything would sound fine.

Similarly, I rented a movie on my PS4 last night (The Raid: Redemption) and the mix was way off: the dialogue and fight sounds were low, whereas much of the music was quite loud.

Jim

Picked up a refurb Yamaha RX-v581 for $270 (actually the Costco model), and absolutely love it. Plays very nicely with PS4 Pro and KS8000, stays super cool, simple menu, relatively small, great audio quality from my not-so-great speakers. Huge quality increase from the Onkyo units I'm used to.

zeeaykay

I usually take pretty well to tech stuff, but comparing these receivers and understanding all their capability is beyond me.

My current set up is an Xbox, heritage advent stereo speakers, and a 1080P TV. In the future I'm looking at the Scorpio and 4K TV. Input lag really bothers me so it has to not introduce any. I would also like to be able to connect my phone via Bluetooth or wireless to play from my Google music account. I also have turntable but it's been out of service for a while, so it's not a huge factor.

I was going to get the Denon S720 for $350, but then I saw Best Buy has the Yamaha A660 for $350, which seems like steeper discount. I don't know what to buy now.

TL;DR Denon S720 vs Yamaha A660, both for $350.

Yukstin

I usually take pretty well to tech stuff, but comparing these receivers and understanding all their capability is beyond me.

My current set up is an Xbox, heritage advent stereo speakers, and a 1080P TV. In the future I'm looking at the Scorpio and 4K TV. Input lag really bothers me so it has to not introduce any. I would also like to be able to connect my phone via Bluetooth or wireless to play from my Google music account. I also have turntable but it's been out of service for a while, so it's not a huge factor.

I was going to get the Denon S720 for $350, but then I saw Best Buy has the Yamaha A660 for $350, which seems like steeper discount. I don't know what to buy now.

I have an upgraded version of the Yamaha you mentioned above and I think it's great. As long as you set for pure pass through (default setting), it won't introduce any additional input lag.

Both receivers are pretty similar so it probably comes down to brand preference.

It's been my experience that Denon has more punch in the bass area while Yamaha is better with reproducing music. Of course you can probably tune them both to be more or less the same, but you'd need expertise in equalization settings. They have the automatic setups using microphones, with Denon using Audyssey MultEQ and Yamaha using YPAO. The Denon Audssey setup seems to produce better results. For the models you're looking at specifically the Denon will calibrate your settings from multiple positions(6) in your room to provide the best results while the Yamaha will only do one position(more expensive Yamaha models will you'll get the multi-position).

Hope this can be answered here. I have a subwoofer hooked up to an only receiver. The internet has told me different answers. The subwoofer will make popping noises when it's on. I've replaced the wire already it still happens. Some answers are that there isn't enough power while others say it's dead.

Thoughts?

hesido

Wow, I'm glad I'm not an audiophile. Choosing the right tech is hard as it is. I'm glad that my entry level Samsung Home theatre from 2011 has ARC, I don't know why you would need other solutions (pass through on receiver / etc etc., anything that has the possibility of adding extra delays to the video feed) because ARC makes lives much easier. When I used optical out for my previous TV which did not support ARC, I used the optical out from my TV and did not have sync issues. Most TV's has some sound delay option if your receiver is too "fast" with respect to your TV. I don't have to be worried about that because my Samsung HT has a whopping 100ms latency, damn it.

MrBenchmark

Picked up a refurb Yamaha RX-v581 for $270 (actually the Costco model), and absolutely love it. Plays very nicely with PS4 Pro and KS8000, stays super cool, simple menu, relatively small, great audio quality from my not-so-great speakers. Huge quality increase from the Onkyo units I'm used to.

BTW if you'd like to enable the receivers HDMI auto setting so devices that support 4:4:4 works here is how.

Set unit to standby

hold down STRAIGHT on front panel and press POWER

press PROGRAM to select a setting

select HDMI Mode 1

Press power to set unit to standby mode and turn it on again.

zeeaykay

So I went with the Yamaha Aventage. They're hooked up to two Advent Heritage speakers which sound great. Xbox is connected to the receiver via HDMI, and TV is also connected via HDMI.

A few things:

1) The Direct mode sounds WAY better than anything else, even straight. Seems odd, not sure if I can adjust it to make non-direct sound better but it doesn't bother me since I don't use surround.

2) There is a slight audio delay and it's kind of driving me crazy. For the life of me I can't figure out why, especially when it's in direct mode. I know the receiver is introducing the lag because I have headphones, and when listening to audio through the headphones connected via the Xbox controller the lag is gone. Does anyone know what's going on here? I thought since it's all HDMI there shouldn't be any lag.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anywhere online I can check input lag on Receivers?

I am getting an OLED TV and a One X and need to upgrade my receiver.

I will get it in Richersounds so will definitely test best, I'd like to have a rough idea before hand.

Top Bottom