• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

j-wood

Ok, So I think I decided on this receiver because costco has it on sale:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/tsr/tsr-5810/

But, I'm concerned if that is going to be too much for the speakers that I have currently. A few years ago I bought this home theater in a box

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-4910u/

The speakers say 6 ohms, maximum input 100watts.

If I get that new receiver, will I be able to use it with my current speakers/subwoofer without blowing them?

III-V

But, I'm concerned if that is going to be too much for the speakers that I have currently. A few years ago I bought this home theater in a box

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-4910u/

If I get that new receiver, will I be able to use it with my current speakers/subwoofer without blowing them?

Your link says 8 ohm speakers, but anyways it doesn't really matter, just don't drive them too hard. Trust your ears, when you hear a bit of distortion, back it off.

j-wood

Your link says 8 ohm speakers, but anyways it doesn't really matter, just don't drive them too hard. Trust your ears, when you hear a bit of distortion, back it off.

Yeah that's what confused me. The sticker on the back on the speaker itself says 6 and a max watt of 100

Diagol

The cable you referenced should be fine. So far there are only two certification levels for HDMI cables: the original specification, and the newer high speed specification which that cable does indeed support. Individual features like 3D / HDCP 2.2 are important when it comes to endpoints (players, displays, and receivers) but the cable itself doesn't actually decode the signal so it doesn't really care what data it carries, so long as it can handle the bandwidth requirements implied by the signal you're sending.

Perfect! That's what I thought. I've been doing research on this stuff all day that I was starting to get a bit cross-eyed from all the marketing-speak.

Thanks so much for the help! :)

Phreak47

Yeah, the receiver itself still supports HDR as well.

I went thru hell last night trying to get ARC to work for my tv/receiver combo, but finally got it working. The trick is tho, if you don't set it up from the start of turning on both devices and plugging them in and going thru their initial set ups the very first time you cut on the devices, you have to UNPLUG both devices and start all over from scratch and ensure that you turn on the HDMI-CEC on both devices BEFORE you finalize the process. What this does is the tv will THEN recognize your receiver as running thru HDMI and then ARC will work as intended. BOTH devices, the TV and RECEIVER need to have the HDMI-CEC Anynet turned on manually, as both have them turned off by default. So you have to turn them on while initially setting up the tv and receiver.

Again, you have the TX-NR626?

No matter what I do, my PS4 insists the receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible (shows 1.4) and limits the output to 1080p. I've gone through all the settings countless times. Tried power cycling/unplugging/replugging combinations. The receiver can output 4k to the TV just fine so it's definitely between the PS4 and receiver. I'm about to give up and settle for running it straight into the TV with legacy audio.

PaulLFC

Can anyone who has a Denon AVR-X2300W confirm whether it works correctly with PS4 Pro and/or Xbox One S for 4K/HDR?

It should do going off the spec sheet, but I've read of various receivers having problems getting the Pro especially to output 4K/HDR when the receiver should support it. Is this an issue on the Denon?

III-V

Can anyone who has a Denon AVR-X2300W confirm whether it works correctly with PS4 Pro and/or Xbox One S for 4K/HDR?

It should do going off the spec sheet, but I've read of various receivers having problems getting the Pro especially to output 4K/HDR when the receiver should support it. Is this an issue on the Denon?

I have an X1300W works perfect with the Pro, HDR and all.

A.Romero

Again, you have the TX-NR626?

No matter what I do, my PS4 insists the receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible (shows 1.4) and limits the output to 1080p. I've gone through all the settings countless times. Tried power cycling/unplugging/replugging combinations. The receiver can output 4k to the TV just fine so it's definitely between the PS4 and receiver. I'm about to give up and settle for running it straight into the TV with legacy audio.

Are you sure you are using a proper HDMI cable (one that supports 2.2)?

Do you have any other device that would need HDCP 2.2 to test it out?

Phreak47

Are you sure you are using a proper HDMI cable (one that supports 2.2)?

Do you have any other device that would need HDCP 2.2 to test it out?

It's not the cables, I found out the deal... the TX-NR626 does not support HDCP 2.2, period. Basically I bought the last Onkyo 4k receiver that doesn't. This is the 2013 model.

I just ordered this
HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 converter
that should fix the problem.
Sucks I have to buy yet another thing (I had already bought a HDMI 2 port switch because of the PSVR/HDR issue)... and yes, that switch supports HDCP 2.2... i had the same issue plugging straight into the receiver.

Oh well, better than replacing the receiver or settling for legacy audio I guess

I'll report back here my results... won't get it till next week though

So I just got the KS8000 and I'm trying to use ARC to my pioneer receiver (as it doesn't support 4K 60fps) fro the PS4 pro. I'm only getting 2.1 though? Can't you get basic DD 5.1 through ARC?

Lady Gaia

So I just got the KS8000 and I'm trying to use ARC to my pioneer receiver (as it doesn't support 4K 60fps) fro the PS4 pro. I'm only getting 2.1 though? Can't you get basic DD 5.1 through ARC?

Yes, but ARC is a mysterious mess that you can only influence rather than control. I'd recommend optical instead.

Yes it does. I had a x2300 before moving up to x3300 for a cheaper price on Black Friday.

Padinn

Dont know if this is required on newer tvs with the better hdmi, but make sure you have the TV set to Bitstream audio.

If anyone happens across good deals in the UK during this festive sales season, please feel free to post them here.

I guess there will be some good discounts in the coming days on the 2016 range of receivers.

Erebus

I think I might need some help here because these things seem much more complicated than I thought.

I have a Yamaha RX-V375 amp and yesterday my brother bought a PS4 Pro and connected it straight to my amp's HDMI input believing that the amp supports 4k video pass-through and would output 4k signal to the TV without a hitch. However, the PS4 Pro greyed out both 2160p options and reported my TV as not 4k capable. The TV is, of course, supporting 4k as when I connected it directly with the console the 2160p options were available as they should have been.

So this has left me believing that the amp isn't actually supporting 4k pass-through (even though the specs say so) or perhaps there are some incompatibilities between the various HDCP and HDMI protocols (this is where the clusterfuck starts). I also tried disabling the HDCP completely or limiting it to version 1.4 (through PS4's safe mode menu) to no avail. The result is always the same, I cannot enable 4k resolution when the signal is passing through the rx-v375.

Am I missing something here or is it simply not possible to get 4k out of this av receiver? Can anyone familiar with this or similar setup help me out?

I think I might need some help here because these things seem much more complicated than I thought.

I have a Yamaha RX-V375 amp and yesterday my brother bought a PS4 Pro and connected it straight to my amp's HDMI input believing that the amp supports 4k video pass-through and would output 4k signal to the TV without a hitch. However, the PS4 Pro greyed out both 2160p options and reported my TV as not 4k capable. The TV is, of course, supporting 4k as when I connected it directly with the console the 2160p options were available as they should have been.

So this has left me believing that the amp isn't actually supporting 4k pass-through (even though the specs say so) or perhaps there are some incompatibilities between the various HDCP and HDMI protocols (this is where the clusterfuck starts). I also tried disabling the HDCP completely or limiting it to version 1.4 (through PS4's safe mode menu) to no avail. The result is always the same, I cannot enable 4k resolution when the signal is passing through the rx-v375.

Am I missing something here or is it simply not possible to get 4k out of this av receiver? Can anyone familiar with this or similar setup help me out?

I think everything has to be HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 to work. I also can connect my systems to my TV and get all the features. Once I connect through my Denon, it's 1080p or less. For the record my Receiver is a AVR-X4000 which lists 4K pass through, but it was designed before the HDMI 2.0 standards.

Erebus

I think everything has to be HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 to work. I also can connect my systems to my TV and get all the features. Once I connect through my Denon, it's 1080p or less. For the record my Receiver is a AVR-X4000 which lists 4K pass through, but it was designed before the HDMI 2.0 standards.
Hmm, so I guess there's no way around it then.

Phreak47

Hmm, so I guess there's no way around it then.

Not necessarily. On your PS4, go to the video output settings, then look at info/detail (forget the exact wording). It likely will tell you that your device is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only 1.4.

This is my situation too, with the Onkyo TX-NR626. 4k grayed out in PS4 settings. My receiver should be able to handle the 4k, it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 that the PS4 requires to allow 4k, but this is only the copy protection. I'm rolling the dice ($30) on an HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter to resolve this for me. I should get it tomorrow night.

Erebus

Not necessarily. On your PS4, go to the video output settings, then look at info/detail (forget the exact wording). It likely will tell you that your device is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only 1.4.

This is my situation too, with the Onkyo TX-NR626. 4k grayed out in PS4 settings. My receiver should be able to handle the 4k, it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 that the PS4 requires to allow 4k, but this is only the copy protection. I'm rolling the dice ($30) on an HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter to resolve this for me. I should get it tomorrow night.
If the issue is only HDCP related, this doesn't explain why 4k was still not selectable when I disabled the HDCP altogether from the PS4 settings however.

But please do report back to see if you had any luck with the converter.

PaulLFC

Where from?
Sorry, should have specified. It was Richer Sounds, price matched with Hifonix.co.uk who were selling it for £379.

I think they've since put the price back to £399, but that's the second time in the last couple of weeks I've seen them sell it for £379, so worth checking every now and again.

M_A_C

Costco has the Yamaha TSR-7810 (same as Yamaha RX-V781BL) for $489.99 also.

Looks pretty good from the specs, anyone have any experience with it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If anyone happens across good deals in the UK during this festive sales season, please feel free to post them here.

I guess there will be some good discounts in the coming days on the 2016 range of receivers.

Yamaha RX-V381 From Sevenoaks £219

Yamaha Rx-v481 £279 richer sounds. Adds airplay and Spotify connect

Denon x2300 £399 richer sounds

Tempted because at the moment I have both ps pro and Xbox one S direct to the TV which means I can't watch on my projector and audio is limited to 5.1. But need to wait until easternto recoup some money after buying a pro, XB1S, 4KTV, and a random detour into hue bulbs which got very expensive very quickly..

EmiPrime

Sorry, should have specified. It was Richer Sounds, price matched with Hifonix.co.uk who were selling it for £379.

I think they've since put the price back to £399, but that's the second time in the last couple of weeks I've seen them sell it for £379, so worth checking every now and again.

Ah I didn't know they did price matching. I'll keep an eye out!

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

I have had Onkyo for 15 years. Good stuff. I currently have this same receiver.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Anyone else using the Pioneer VSX-532 reciever?

It's HDCP 2.2 and allows for 4K HDR pass through however I am unable to select RGB HDR when passing through this unit. When I go straight to the tv it works fine however.

By all accounts it should work but I can't really find anything online.

Any ideas?

Pyrrhus

Anyone else using the Pioneer VSX-532 reciever?

It's HDCP 2.2 and allows for 4K HDR pass through however I am unable to select RGB HDR when passing through this unit. When I go straight to the tv it works fine however.

By all accounts it should work but I can't really find anything online.

Any ideas?

I had to turn my HDMI inputs on the receiver from Standard to Enhanced in order to be able to get that. Mine is a Sony so I'm not sure how you'd do it, exactly. Probably under a menu labeled HDMI or Inputs on the receiver's onscreen menu.

Darkatomz

I just wanted to chime in quickly as there are a lot of people looking at Denon for their 4K/HDR/HDCP2.2 receiver needs (the info here will still be useful in general since this is a hot topic these days, regardless of budget). Since I've done several hundreds of hours researching this area on sites like AVS, HTS, and Head-Fi (and I've been working in a related segment of the tech industry for many years... and I'm also a self-professed audio and video 'enthusiast', see below for proof), I figured that I could simplify and summarize a couple of things, especially some things that are generally less understood and known. Hope this helps someone.

Living Room
TV: Panasonic ZT60
2x Front: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v5
2x Surround: Paradigm Reference Studio ADP-590 v5
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC-590 v5
Sub: Rythmik E15HP
Receiver: Denon X4000 (Audyssey MultiEQ XT32)

FYI, I own the Denon X4000 (which was, at the time, their first receiver <$1500 which got Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 which the 2016 X3300 series now has. I personally won't be upgrading my TV or AVR for at least a year or two, despite being hooked up to a PS4 Pro. I'm mainly waiting on a superior solution to replace Plasma without breaking the bank, which is looking like QLED; at the moment (link below for the reasons why), I don't give a damn about Atmos either. When USB-C is implemented, I will insta-jump on it, if not sooner if I can't hold out. Also, this.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-hdmi-2-1-specifications-revealed
http://www.avsforum.com/why-quantum-dot-hdr-uhd-tvs-are-better-for-gaming/

First things first, one of the most important things to consider in an AVR is the DSP/DRC functionality. IMO, Audyssey is the best solution out there with Denon being the best to offer it. Second, calibration/EQ is most effective at low end frequencies (bass, your subwoofer, etc), which is what this version of Audyssey does and its lesser versions do NOT, so definitely consider it if you have a decent discrete sub in your home theater setup. Finally, I've linked below some extremely useful resources where a lot of this info comes from. Fair warning, there's tons of material here and is very tech heavy, but if you want to learn how to get the most out of your setup...

2016 Denon AVRs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq.html

Audyssey
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-faq-post-51779-a-1726.html#post21782993

Setup and Mic Positioning
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/68407-audyssey-multeq-faq-setup-guide.html

Cables (as noted in the thread, EVERYTHING in the signal chain needs to support HDMI2.0a/b and HDCP2.2, including the cables).
http://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/select-series-hdmi-cables

Varshes

I don't have a 4K TV yet but I was thinking of grabbing the Yamaha RX-V81 since it's on sale right now. Good idea? Is HDCP 2.2/HDR10 the main things I'm looking at?

Audyssey is good and the cost of entry is low, but two better options are DIRAC and ARC2. Far superior when as they can calibrate frequency response and impulse response, set custom targets, not just a curve that is movie, or music. A legit custom target for every profile you save. Plus the fact that all computation are not done within the unit itself is huge.

Audyssey is more accessible by far in the amount of products it's available in and the price of those products, but DIRAC and ARC2 are much better if you get a chance to use them.

Acram, Anthem, Emotiva, and a few others offer them, but cost of entry is what keeps people from them when compared to other offerings that have more fluff/bells and whistles for lower cost.

Another good alternative is REW and a UMIK 1. That will get the job done for sure without the need of any auto calibration in the unit.

Darkatomz

Audyssey is good and the cost of entry is low, but two better options are DIRAC and ARC2. Far superior when as they can calibrate frequency response and impulse response, set custom targets, not just a curve that is movie, or music. A legit custom target for every profile you save. Plus the fact that all computation are not done within the unit itself is huge.

Audyssey is more accessible by far in the amount of products it's available in and the price of those products, but DIRAC and ARC2 are much better if you get a chance to use them.

Acram, Anthem, Emotiva, and a few others offer them, but cost of entry is what keeps people from them when compared to other offerings that have more fluff/bells and whistles for lower cost.

Another good alternative is REW and a UMIK 1. That will get the job done for sure without the need of any auto calibration in the unit.
I can't really disagree with any of this, perhaps the word I should have used was Value. That, in addition to documentation and ease of use by FAR (for example, REW is a massive PITA and not straightforward at all).

M_A_C

Costco has the Yamaha TSR-7810 (same as Yamaha RX-V781BL) for $489.99 also.

Looks pretty good from the specs, anyone have any experience with it?

In case anyone is wondering this receiver is excellent so far. To get the full HDR setting on PS4 Pro I had to do this:

Instructions:
1. Turn the Unit Off
2. Hold Down the Straight button and Power Button
3. Release
4. Use the left program button on the receiver (not the remote)
5. Select 4K (Mode is probably 2)
6. Press Straight button to change to Mode 1
7. Press Power (unit will power off)
8. Power Back on and Enjoy

NYR

Any CES coverage on new A/V Receivers? Can't find much outside of Sony annoucing a new unit.

Just adding advice to those who mention ARC doesn't work properly... here's what I have to do to get proper 5.1 sound to my old receiver:
- Don't use PCM
- Set both the TV and the game systems to Bitstream DTS
- Reboot the game systems

While the TV can do PCM ARC, and it looks like it's delivering a five channel signal to the receiver, the sound is not discrete thru each speaker. DTS works fine though.

Anyone not keen on fussing with these bizarre options should just get a new 4K receiver

Any CES coverage on new A/V Receivers? Can't find much outside of Sony annoucing a new unit.

usually at CES you see the models that were released in Oct/Nov. CEDIA is where
you find the new line of AVR's

The landscape generally looks like this

CES - Jan

Displays (TV's) Start to release in April (generally) through July. Depending on manufacturer. Sometimes it is entry level > mid range > high end or some mix of the order like mid range > high end and entry level or entry level / mid range > high end.

CEDIA - Sept

Products shown at CEDIA general release starts to show up Oct through Nov

You also have things like IFA which is usually also in Aug/Sept.

Since the new models of AVR's and speakers usually pop up at CEDIA they carry over into CES

Phreak47

I just broke down and bought a tx-nr555. My hope that a hdcp converter would let me use the 626 failed to work. Got a pretty good deal though, 349 at amazon through a 3rd party that's tax-free... and i'll get 5% back on it too.

Goddamn copy protection bullshit. Wish I would have known to wait a little longer the last time.

RPS37

I'm looking for advice on surround sound setups.
I've got a KS8000, with a regular xb1 and a PS4 pro plugged into it.
A month or ago, I bought a Visio soundbar because my old receiver didn't support 4K.
I plan on returning it ough because the subwoofer (Bluetooth) and rear speakers keep getting unsynced from the soundbar and I'm not even sure the soundbar actually does real 5.1 surround.
I'm looking fora good surround set up for up to around $500-600. I feel like I'm going to be told to stay away from HTIB's but I don't know if my old HTIB speakers would work well with a new receiver...

ss_lemonade

For anyone looking for a new AVR, Frys has the Denon x1300w at $299 ($300 off) if you use the promo code they sent out today to email subscribers. Was able to order one just now with free shipping + no sales tax. Seems like a good deal for an HDR-capable receiver.

Not sure how frys promo codes work though since this is the first time I actually used one. I think they're exclusive only to those who signed up in the first place?

Timbuktu

Has anyone here set up Dolby Atmos properly? I'm looking to get a receiver and was looking at Onkyo 656 and Denon 2300w at the same price. but then looking at the Sony 860 model that also got good reviews and does most of the functions like 4K up scaling (I don't think Denon 1300w does that) but lack Atmos and cost over £100 less, the Sony 1060 model can be found for not a lot more either. Is Atmos worth it, considering I probably won't ever put up speakers in the ceiling at my flat?

III-V

For anyone looking for a new AVR, Frys has the Denon x1300w at $299 ($300 off) if you use the promo code they sent out today to email subscribers. Was able to order one just now with free shipping + no sales tax. Seems like a good deal for an HDR-capable receiver.

Not sure how frys promo codes work though since this is the first time I actually used one. I think they're exclusive only to those who signed up in the first place?

Great deal. Mine was $499 still love it. Make sure to firmware update.

ss_lemonade

Has anyone here set up Dolby Atmos properly? I'm looking to get a receiver and was looking at Onkyo 656 and Denon 2300w at the same price. but then looking at the Sony 860 model that also got good reviews and does most of the functions like 4K up scaling (I don't think Denon 1300w does that) but lack Atmos and cost over £100 less, the Sony 1060 model can be found for not a lot more either. Is Atmos worth it, considering I probably won't ever put up speakers in the ceiling at my flat?

It doesn't, from reading reviews. It seems to be more like a step up from the Denon s720, which only supports 4k passthrough. I was wondering though: what do I get with 4k upscaling if I already have a 4k TV that probably upscales everything to 4k anyway?

Timbuktu

It doesn't, from reading reviews. It seems to be more like a step up from the Denon s720, which only supports 4k passthrough. I was wondering though: what do I get with 4k upscaling if I already have a 4k TV that probably upscales everything to 4k anyway?

Thanks. I don't see the S720 available here in the UK, looking around at the moment, the Denon 2300w, the Onkyo 656 and the Yamaha 681 are all discounted to practically the same price. I don't see much of a difference in specs apart from the Denon having a few more HDMI ports, which I'm not sure I need, and the other two have phono input and the Yamaha runs cooler. So it might come down to sound and performance, anyone got any idea on this?

Top Bottom