• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

SOLDIER

You should also clarify which TV you are using

Samsung KS8000.

Have you updated the Denon firmware? I know that receiver needed an update to run HDR material...

Obviously if the PS4 works when connected to your TV you've isolated the issue to the receiver.

I did update the firmware. And the PS4 does work with the TV.

The receiver is likely the problem, but what I want to know is whether this unit is defective, or if the model won't work with it period.

I can't find any information that confirms or denies if the model works with the PS4 Pro as intended, and I have to wait until Monday to call customer support.

I have this, it works great. Be sure to update it's firmware and turn on full 4k60 4:4:4 compatibility (it ships as 4k60 4:2:0 by default) if your TV supports it, it will then work with both 4k60 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 signals. Use the HDCP 2.2 ports for PS Pro, otherwise it says it only supports HDR up to 2K via the other ports.

Man, this scared the hell out of me. I was mad as hell for a minute. I upgraded the firmware to 1.89 and turned on the PS and I was like "ah what the fuck is this" 2160p RGB was gone NBA 2K17 was now 1080p with HDR and I'm like I just update this damn thing.

So I cool down before I was going to call Yamaha and shit all over them for false advertising. I google factory reset and that's when I seen the 4K Mode Mode 2 and Mode 1. the system was defaulting to Mode 2 so I started it up with that Mode 1 and BOOM!!! and the other Scare was Netflix streaming no sound, but I figured that one out as well. This is a Damn Good Receiver.

Samsung KS8000.

I did update the firmware. And the PS4 does work with the TV.

The receiver is likely the problem, but what I want to know is whether this unit is defective, or if the model won't work with it period.

I can't find any information that confirms or denies if the model works with the PS4 Pro as intended, and I have to wait until Monday to call customer support.

About the receiver you gave. I posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224246604&postcount=290

SOLDIER

About the receiver you gave. I posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224246604&postcount=290

Setting up a return with Amazon, as I found this receiver for the same price (open box) at a nearby Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...heater-receiver-black/5017701.p?skuId=5017701

Buddy told me it has everything I'll need (including ARC!), so I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully this 4K nightmare can come to an end.

The shit I do to be ready for Final Fantasy XV.

Setting up a return with Amazon, as I found this receiver for the same price (open box) at a nearby Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...heater-receiver-black/5017701.p?skuId=5017701

Buddy told me it has everything I'll need (including ARC!), so I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully this 4K nightmare can come to an end.

The shit I do to be ready for Final Fantasy XV.

That should be fine, yes. HDMI 2.0a ports, HDCP 2.2, proper 4K, HDR passthrough and ARC. Hope that gets it for you.

Evo X

Wow, super positive first impressions of the Yamaha 860.

Great on screen display, much faster and easier to setup and use than my previous Denon.

Have only tested it briefly, but the sound is more impactful and nuanced with superior separation.

Honestly, I've secretly been hoping it wouldn't be a big difference so that I could return this and save some money by buying the cheaper one, but now I'm not sure I can do that.

Will continue to test it in a variety of scenarios to keep the comparison going, but damn I'm happy even though my wallet is a lot lighter.

Wow, super positive first impressions of the Yamaha 860.

Great on screen display, much faster and easier to setup and use than my previous Denon.

Have only tested it briefly, but the sound is more impactful and nuanced with superior separation.

Honestly, I've secretly been hoping it wouldn't be a big difference so that I could return this and save some money by buying the cheaper one, but now I'm not sure I can do that.

Will continue to test it in a variety of scenarios to keep the comparison going, but damn I'm happy even though my wallet is a lot lighter.

After owning Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha....Yamaha is simply the way to go. Build quality is through the roof.

XTERC

Thankfully the new 4K cards for my NAD M17 are on their way. I'm still going to wait for next years TV sets, as I don't believe the 4K TV technology is in the right place for gaming yet.

In regards to Yamaha build quality, I couldn't agree more. I've had a DSP-A1 for ~18 years and it is still going strong.

After owning Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha....Yamaha is simply the way to go. Build quality is through the roof.

Would definitely agree. Build quality wise I love the Aventage line, followed by the Higher end Marantz

The way I have always looked at them are

Yamaha Aventage > Marantz > Pioneer Elite > Denon > Onkyo, though now with Onkyo owning Pioneer and using the same PSU and other materials, I would go Denon over Pioneer > Onkyo

Though personally now days I rally always suggest to people if they can and it's within their budget to move away from those all together and look at audio products from Acram, Anthem, NAD. The difference in sound quality and build quality are through the roof on these.

They are pricey but well worth the listen if you can spend the little bit more they cost.

Would definitely agree. Build quality wise I love the Aventage line, followed by the Higher end Marantz

The way I have always looked at them are

Yamaha Aventage > Marantz > Pioneer Elite > Denon > Onkyo, though now with Onkyo owning Pioneer and using the same PSU and other materials, I would go Denon over Pioneer > Onkyo

Though personally now days I rally always suggest to people if they can and it's within their budget to move away from those all together and look at audio products from Acram, Anthem, NAD. The difference in sound quality and build quality are through the roof on these.

They are pricey but well worth the listen if you can spend the little bit more they cost.
Aren't Marantz and Denon pretty much the same thing? :p

MrBenchmark

I replaced my Pioneer VSX-1123K with a new Yamaha RX-V581 and love this Yamaha!

the sound using my Same Infinity speakers and Yamaha powered Sub the sound is so much nicer on my 7.1 setup plus fully compliant HDMI pass thru.

Mrbob

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v679_black_u/
This Puppy arrives today via Amazon Black Friday deal $299.99

7.2-channel network AV receiver that features HDMI 2.0a for 4K Ultra HD video upscaling, HDCP 2.2 and high dynamic range (HDR) along with advanced multi-zone speaker configurations powered by high quality discrete amp circuitry. Conveniently access music wirelessly with Bluetooth® from your mobile devices or utilize Wi-Fi to stream online music services and high-resolution audio files. Now with MusicCast, this device can be expanded to deliver wireless multiroom audio playback, all controlled by a simple app

checks off all the boxes

MusicCast wireless multiroom audio support
Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming and Compressed Music Enhancer for Bluetooth
Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
AirPlay®, Pandora®, Rhapsody®, Spotify®, SiriusXM™ music streaming service and AV Controller App
DSD 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple® Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback
YPAO™ - Reflected Sound Control for automatic speaker setup
YPAO™ Volume to ensure natural sounds even at low volume
Virtual Surround Back Speaker for playing 7.2-channel content with a 5.1-channel system
Zone 2 audio with Party Mode
Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Volume
HDMI 2.0a: 4K Ultra HD Full Support with 4K60p, HDCP2.2, HDR* Video and BT.2020 pass-through
7.2-channel surround sound
yamaha-rx-v679-HDMI-inputs.jpg

EB5B3AA1A7D34E5FBBF70155F16EB258_12001.jpg

Nice score. Didn't even realize it was 299 on Black Friday or I would have bought one. Now that it is 350 I can't justify buying it knowing it was 299 a couple days ago.

JMY86

I have been using a Yamaha RX-V581 for the last few months and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 4k/HDR receiver.

Mrbob

Yeah the 581 looks great...I have an older Yamaha receiver and will go Yamaha again when I upgrade. I'm eyeing the 681 because I want those 6 hdmi inputs but will wait for some sort of sale. Perhaps this time next year I'll get my wish.

I'd grab the 581 and save the money if it had one more HDMI slot. I need at least 5.

-griffy-

Banned

Scored this same deal on Black Friday, got it all set up yesterday and ready to go for my KS8000 to arrive on Thursday. It was really a perfect deal for me, good price for a receiver with everything I needed and then some, 4K, HDR and all that but still with component inputs for some legacy devices I still want to hook up (especially since the KS8000 doesn't have component).

Chinbo37

I just ordered a denon 3300w.

Super stoked as I've been using a super old Yamaha receiver that doesn't even have hdmi. Been running 3.5 mm outs from my sound card.

Now I can have everything hooked up with hdmi. I don't have a 4k TV but I think the denon should be future proofed for me.

Aren't Marantz and Denon pretty much the same thing? :p

yes they are sister companies. but in Marantz they use a HDAM discrete preamp before it actually hits the power amp and they use a Toroidal power transformer which is more efficient than the monoblocks Denon uses. So the drop off in WPC is less.

You generally do not see Toroidal transformers much anymore from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo. You only see them in high end pre pros, and some high end AVR's like Acram (class G), Anthem (A/B first 5 channels, class D remaining), etc. Marantz is about the only one on the higher end, maybe Integra but they are Onkyo's also so not sure. Haven't looked at them in awhile honestly.

SOLDIER

That should be fine, yes. HDMI 2.0a ports, HDCP 2.2, proper 4K, HDR passthrough and ARC. Hope that gets it for you.

Good news, it totally worked. Just had to connect it to the ARC port and boom. That's another 4K headache dealt with.

I never really mess much with my receiver's settings, but since I'm on this thread, what are some settings I can do to make sure I'm getting the proper audio mix/surround/etc?

With the receiver and PS4 Pro connected to the TV, I have two ports left on my TV, which I plan to use for my PC and Xbox One S. All other devices (Wii U, PS3, etc) will go to the receiver, even though none of those are 4K devices.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was thinking of doing this. I didn't feel like updating my Onkyo 709 receiver cause it still works. But I've always heard of handshake/syncing issues when using ARC. And the constant turning off and on of components to get it working again. I rather not have to go through this. Has anyone used this method with success most of the time?

I use ARC through a soundbar and every so often there are handshake issues getting the audio to activate when my TV or PS4 powers up. That happens not often but resetting the handshake by switching inputs and back usually fixes it up.

More glaring a problem is introducing psvr into the chain. No matter what, every time I start the ps4 with VR connected, a few minutes later the screen turns black as if the handshake security is double checking the connection. Very disruptive and irritating but it usually just happens once per power cycle. I have basically resigned to unplugging the psvr entirely unless used and keeping the ps4 connected directly to avoid that issue.

I have also read that ARC has issues passing through linear PCM audio surround and they it is best to stick with bitstream DTS or Dolby unless you can ensure your receiver can reproduce the full signal through ARC. Lots of '2.1 only' complaints through linear PCM out there on all but the latest sound bars and receivers.

Keihart

I've had an Onkyo TX-NR535 for like 2-3 years already and it supports 4K 60HZ already, i have no idea about HDR tho, but it is a really good receiver, i really like the brand really.

Edit: It doesn't support HDR :c

tootie923

I have been using a Yamaha RX-V581 for the last few months and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 4k/HDR receiver.

Another recommendation for this receiver. I got it earlier this month and it sounds good with my Polk speakers, setup is intuitive, and it's not overly large like my old Onkyo. I only use three HDMI ports (PS4, XB1 and Chromebox), so I passed on the 681.

That Yamaha 679 is the latest model of my 677, which is a great receiver.
I am glad I didn't upgrade during that deal. With my current setup and my complete apathy towards HDR I don't need an HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a receiver...yet.

I still run my PS4 through the 677 with all 2.0 cables and everything works perfectly.

I also have a direct run to the TV unplugged behind the PS4 if I ever have the urge to swap out the cable and see how sad HDR is. I mean..it's hardly worth the hard-ons people have for it.

-EDIT-
Just saw someone mention ARC.
Because my last TV had so many lip sync issues and was a pain in the ass when it came to the way CEC behaved I never used ARC.
When I was running all the cables for the new TV I ran it so ARC would work and an Optical cable as a fallback.
So happy that both work flawlessly. Especially the way this TVs remote handles the switching between TV speakers and the receiver.

Pac3y

Just thought i'd share my experience with the PS4 Pro coupled with a Denon AVR-X2200W - TV is LG55UH661V for reference.

Initially struggled to produce a picture when using 4k RGB, i was running a 5 metre cable length due to my setup. YUV 420 was fine, however anything RGB would just drop out. After trying multiple HDMI cables, from low tier to expensive cables I finally found one that could produce a picture whilst using RGB - It goes to show not all cables that deem themselves to be 'premium' are actually any good.

Anyhow I had a picture but had issues with random black screens, i tried all the usual HDCP on/off which offered no effect to be fair, the drop outs would still occur. I disabled every little bit of image processing in the Denon AVR which still had drop outs.

Now my solution to this came from totally disabling ECO Mode - Once this was disabled i never had any picture drop outs, and it's been solid since. Reading around it appears ECO mode drops voltage to the AVR when it believes it to be idle or not under load.

Hope this may help someone with similar issues.

Just replaced my old Pioneer receiver that was part of a Costco bundle with Bose speakers with the Sony STR-DH770 thanks to another thread last week that showed it was on sale on Amazon for 43% off so it was just under $200. Looks like it even sold out on Amazon, though some third party sellers still have it for around that price. Main thing it didn't have was Atmos, which I don't think I'll be doing any time soon anyway.

Was initially going to wait but that was way cheaper than I expected and cheap enough to where it was worth upgrading right away to a full 4K HDR receiver so I wouldn't have to use the dual ports on the Samsung player anymore and especially lose lossless sound on the Pro.

levyjl1988

Banned
Recently replaced my old Sony Receiver from 2009 with an Onkyo TX-NR656 Receiver.
It's pretty amazing. Got it all for $586.78!

7.2 Channel with atmos. Have it all hooked up to a Samsung 60" 7150 TV.

Varvor

I got the Onkyo TX-NR545.

Seems pretty great so far, though somewhat questionable with stereo sources. By the way never use anything other than dolby digital or all channel stereo with those types of sources. Dear god is it bad if you do.

As NR646 user...i could not agree more and glad to see that i was not the only one...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm somewhat confused. I just got a Yamaha RX-V679 due to Amazon's thanksgiving flash sale.

I updated the firmware (Version 1.89), I set the HDMI to mode 1, and I'm getting massive HDCP issues. Audio and video just constantly drops etc. The only way I can resolve it is to turn off HDCP in my PS4 Pro's system settings.

Wasn't the firmware update supposed to fix the HDCP issues with ports 1-3 on the receiver?

For audio settings on both the PS4 and receiver, which is better: PCM or Bitstream?

Bitstream sends an (theoretically) unmodified signal to your AVR, so BItstream if you have a DTS Compatible Receiver.

If you want your receiver to process DD and DTS multichannel tracks then you can set the player to Bitstream

This is talking about Blu-Ray options .. but principally the tech would be the same (I'm open to corrections tho :)

https://www.lifewire.com/blu-ray-audio-bitstream-vs-pcm-1846396

Personally, I've found PCM a bit lacking at times, and always opt for Bitstream (on PS or Blu-Ray players). Although, doing a bit of digging in response to this query has me off investigating again ... :)

The PCM Option
If you set the Blu-ray Disc player player to output audio as PCM, the player will perform the audio decoding of all Dolby/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD Master Audio - related soundtracks internally and send the decoded audio signal in uncompressed form to your home theater receiver. As a result, your home theater receiver will not have to perform any additional audio decoding before the audio is sent through the amplifier section and the speakers. With this option, the home theater receiver will display the term "PCM" on its front panel display.

The Bitstream Option
If you select Bitstream as the HDMI audio output setting of your Blu-ray player, the player will bypass its own internal Dolby and DTS audio decoders and send the undecoded signal to your HDMI-connected home theater receiver. With this setting, the home theater receiver will do all the audio decoding of the incoming signal.

As a result, in this case, the receiver will display Dolby, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc...on its front panel display depending on which type of bitstream signal is being decoded.

You have the choice as to which setting to use, and as mentioned above, either setting should yield the same audio quality.

stlobus

I've got this receiver and love it. You do have to go through the service menu to properly pass 4k60 4:4:4, though. Here's how to do it in case you haven't already:

The default 4K video Mode for the RX-V679BL is 4:2:0. You must change to Video Mode 1 to pass 4K @ 60 FPS 4:4:4 video.

(Taken from the manual on pages 120 & 122)

Configuring the system settings (ADVANCED SETUP menu)
Configure the system settings of the unit while viewing the front display.
1 Set the unit to standby mode.
2 While holding down STRAIGHT on the front panel, press MAIN ZONE/Power Button.
3 Press PROGRAM to select an item.
4 Press STRAIGHT to select a setting.
5 Press MAIN ZONE/Power Butter nto set the unit to standby mode and turn it on again. The new settings take effect.

Selecting the HDMI 4K signal format (4K MODE)
4K MODE•MODE 2
Selects the format of signals input/output at the unit when HDMI 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) compatible TV and playback device are connected to the unit.
Settings
MODE 1
Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format. (4:2:0 format only for VIDEO AUX [HDMI IN] jack)
MODE 2
Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:2:0 format.
Depending on the connected device or HDMI cables, video may not be displayed correctly. In this case, select “MODE 2”.
• When “MODE 1” is selected, use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports 18 Gbps.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm somewhat confused. I just got a Yamaha RX-V679 due to Amazon's thanksgiving flash sale.

I updated the firmware (Version 1.89), I set the HDMI to mode 1, and I'm getting massive HDCP issues. Audio and video just constantly drops etc. The only way I can resolve it is to turn off HDCP in my PS4 Pro's system settings.

Wasn't the firmware update supposed to fix the HDCP issues with ports 1-3 on the receiver?

I would suggest trying a different HDMI cable.

Lady Gaia

Bitstream sends an (theoretically) unmodified signal to your AVR, so BItstream if you have a DTS Compatible Receiver.

Note that while this is true for Blu-ray content and other media, the reverse is true for games where the source is always uncompressed PCM generated on the fly. Neither should be an issue for HDMI connections where the console knows all the supported formats and picks the right one (always check off all the supported formats and trust auto-detection if you're not sure!)

What the original question was probably referring to is an optical connection, which is much more bandwidth constrained. Here the choice between PCM and bitstream is slightly different:

PCM is high quality and low latency but is limited to stereo. Bitstream DTS and Dolby support surround but are lossy representations with some small degradation. If you're using a surrround setup and not playing Rocksmith it's worth the tradeoff to go with one of the bitstream formats. The differences between the two are subtle so choose your favorite after trying them both.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I would suggest trying a different HDMI cable.

That did it. Not a fan of this cable lottery we're subjected to now. Wasted so much time last night.

One Amazon Basics cable works, the other freaks out. Sony's supplied cable worked at least.

I've got this receiver and love it. You do have to go through the service menu to properly pass 4k60 4:4:4, though. Here's how to do it in case you haven't already:

Holy shit..that is one hell of a hoop you need to jump through just to change a setting. Have to see if there id anything similar for my V677

SOLDIER

Note that while this is true for Blu-ray content and other media, the reverse is true for games where the source is always uncompressed PCM generated on the fly. Neither should be an issue for HDMI connections where the console knows all the supported formats and picks the right one (always check off all the supported formats and trust auto-detection if you're not sure!)

What the original question was probably referring to is an optical connection, which is much more bandwidth constrained. Here the choice between PCM and bitstream is slightly different:

PCM is high quality and low latency but is limited to stereo. Bitstream DTS and Dolby support surround but are lossy representations with some small degradation. If you're using a surrround setup and not playing Rocksmith it's worth the tradeoff to go with one of the bitstream formats. The differences between the two are subtle so choose your favorite after trying them both.

My question involved an HDMI connection (ARC).

Sounds like I should just leave it as is, and the PS4 will know what to switch to.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Holy shit..that is one hell of a hoop you need to jump through just to change a setting. Have to see if there id anything similar for my V677
It's not that bad. As long as you wade through the manual at least.

I would rather that they didn't hide the advanced menu like that though.

Lady Gaia

My question involved an HDMI connection (ARC).

Sounds like I should just leave it as is, and the PS4 will know what to switch to.

ARC is actually subject to the same bandwidth limitations as an optical connection, but I'm less clear on what the best configuration is and it may depend on the television. The PS4 -> TV link allows full bandwidth, relying on the television to perform down-mixing to the ARC loopback. If the television does a decent job then automatic settings may be fine, but if it can't handle format conversions then you may need to force DTS or Dolby Digital to get surround via ARC. Other televisions never send out anything but stereo over ARC regardless of the configuration.

I've found ARC to be something of a mess, personally, and opted to use a direct optical connection instead.

ARC is actually subject to the same bandwidth limitations as an optical connection, but I'm less clear on what the best configuration is and it may depend on the television. The PS4 -> TV link allows full bandwidth, relying on the television to perform down-mixing to the ARC loopback. If the television does a decent job then automatic settings may be fine, but if it can't handle format conversions then you may need to force DTS or Dolby Digital to get surround via ARC. Other televisions never send out anything but stereo over ARC regardless of the configuration.

I've found ARC to be something of a mess, personally, and opted to use a direct optical connection instead.

I second ARC being a mess.
I've used it in two different scenarios, my last TV (Panasonic 1080p something or other) and my current (XBR930D).
With my last TV it was a pain in the ass. It would constantly switch inputs or turn things on when I didn't want it too and the way the ARC CEC controls would just take over everything was frustrating when you are used to manually doing everything. One of the problems I ran into after disabling ARC was the Optical out of the TV produced so much lip sync lag that I ultimately ran Optical cables directly to my receiver for some of legacy equipment (cable box, apple TV)

Before I even put the new TV on the stand I tried every possible cable combination to make sure ARC behaved the way I wanted it to and so far it's been pretty good. When I don't want it on and I just want to use my TV speakers it knows and leaves my receiver alone. But just in case I ran an optical out of the TV to the receiver because I found no lip sync issues this go around (thank god).

Using two or more remotes for my setup has never bothered me but the idea of something like ARC working flawlessly is definitely appealing.

-EDIT-
For me, whether is optical or ARC I am perfectly happy with compressed 5.1 audio. My ears (and eyes for that matter) are old and I think the benefits of lossless audio are completely lost on me. I can watch a blu-ray via the xbox one with lossless audio and then watch the same movie streamed from my apple TV pushing dolby digital and they both sound the same.

I couldn't get 4k passthrough working with my TX-NR626 unfortunately, though it is supposed to support it (using a new KS8000). Also ARC isn't working with this new TV either, so I am unfortunately running optical back to the receiver from the TV and have two hdmi connections running to the TV (one for PS4 direct, one for VR because of the stupid inability to pass HDR).

Kind of a mess.

You must have your set up off or something, cuz I have the same Samsung series and same Onkyo receiver and I got 4k pass thru.

For folks with the Onkyo TX-NR656, is the volume coming out of the speakers supposed to be very low or is it something in the PS4/TV that I need to change or what? I believe the sound, while it'll get loud enough when I blast it loud enough, I have to have the joint playing over like 25-30 before I can even hear the thing and like 50-60 before it's at a moderately loud, movie watching type setting. I know my previous receiver, some older Sony from ages ago, thrut he same Onkyo speakers that I'm using, I'd not have to play the volume much past 5 to be heard and 25-30 was usually efficiently loud for tv/movies/gaming.

SOLDIER

I haven't used it extensively but it sounds to be working as intended.

I have the PS4 plugged directly to the TV, and the receiver is plugged to the ARC port on the TV, meaning any device connected to the TV will pass audio to the receiver naturally.

kagigod

Neo Member
Good news, it totally worked. Just had to connect it to the ARC port and boom. That's another 4K headache dealt with.

I never really mess much with my receiver's settings, but since I'm on this thread, what are some settings I can do to make sure I'm getting the proper audio mix/surround/etc?

With the receiver and PS4 Pro connected to the TV, I have two ports left on my TV, which I plan to use for my PC and Xbox One S. All other devices (Wii U, PS3, etc) will go to the receiver, even though none of those are 4K devices.

I'm using a Samsung KS7000 paired with a Yamaha RX-V381 and if I connect the PS4 to the Yamaha in the ARC port (HDMI4), I'm unable to use 4K HDR, the PS4 tells me it's only possible in 2K and that maybe some settings on my TV can enable this.

I have enabled UHD color in the Samsung settings, so I don't know what else I can do.

If I connect the PS4 straight to the TV, 4K HDR works fine.

Any ideas? Is this setup working?

tootie923

I'm using a Samsung KS7000 paired with a Yamaha RX-V381 and if I connect the PS4 to the Yamaha in the ARC port (HDMI4), I'm unable to use 4K HDR, the PS4 tells me it's only possible in 2K and that maybe some settings on my TV can enable this.

I have enabled UHD color in the Samsung settings, so I don't know what else I can do.

If I connect the PS4 straight to the TV, 4K HDR works fine.

Any ideas? Is this setup working?

I had a similar problem with the KS8000 and V581, and I had to switch between Mode 1 and Mode 2 in this menu. The one it was defaulted to only allowed 2K. I'm not sure about the ARC port as I don't have my receiver plugged in there.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1085071/Yamaha-Rx-V381.html?page=65#manual

I've got an Onkyo TX-NR646 and recently picked up the Samsung KS8000 along with an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. Everything's worked great with 4K and HDR and the receiver has given me no problems. I run everything to the receiver first and then from receiver to TV.

Same. ARC has always provided more annoyance than the convenience it provides and I just use optical now to get audio back from the TV's smart apps.

Phreak47

You must have your set up off or something, cuz I have the same Samsung series and same Onkyo receiver and I got 4k pass thru.

I didn't bother to check direct connecting to see if the PSVR is the problem... but I understand PSVR is supposed to support 4k (but not HDR) passthrough, which I am willing to live with since I dont think the receiver will, unless I'm wrong? I didn't see anything in the documentation other than it supports 4k on HDMI 1-4. I also couldn't get ARC working either, and that was fine on my old TV (7100), so now i've also had to connect a damn optical cable.

I went through the settings of the tv, ps4, and receiver extensively (trying to force monitor out to 4k) but it was only showing in 1080p on the TV. I'll test going PS4 straight to receiver without VR and see if the result is any different.

Reaperssj

Hey guys I have a onkyo 646 and a KS8000 the sound is fine but what is weird is that the TV thinks the audio is coming from the TV speakers instead of the HDMI input. Is there any way to fix this?

Top Bottom