• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

I continue to get constant disconnect and reconnects when connecting up the PS4 pro to me receiver. I have tried both with HDCP 2.2 disabled and in alternative output modes (Automatic, 4K YUV420 , 4KRGB, and even 1080p) and I still continue to get very frequent disconnects.

This is running System Software 4.06 and the latest firmware on my Denon X6200W. If I connect up the PS4 Pro directly to my LG TV I don't get the issues, but they I lose the 7.1 Surround Audio that my receiver provides.

Anyone else have a similar setup and having any luck?

Hi .. have the Pro and the same receiver just recently purchased. I have it hooked to a TW9300 Projector and all is fine. During the day I play on a Panasonic Plasma UT50 and no flicker issues there either ...

I am using fairly chunky HDMI Cables to ensure I eliminate any possibility of the cables being the issue

EDIT: You could also try disable your video processing on the receiver through the Video Menu. This can disable your on-screen volume indicator, but ensures a full non-interfered with video passthrough ... worth a go as a test

PaNaMa

Banned
So I'm not seeing the HDR Wow Factor I don't think. I have a Samsung 65JS8550 (2015). It's on HDMI 1 (4K/60), UHD enabled. PS4 Pro sets it to RGB4K, and when I start Ratchet, my receiver reports 4:2:2 Chroma 24-bit.

Ratchet starts and my TV automatically sets Backlight to 20 and Contrast to 100. In other words, HDR seems to just automatically put my TV in Torch Mode. I can manually turn the backlight down, turn the contrast down... I don't know, does that disengage HDR mode? It just looks like my game settings again.

HDR looks the same to me.. like... I could just manually adjust my TV to backlight 20 contrast 100..

Setting PS4 to use YUV 420, my receiver reports 4:2:0 Chroma and "36 bit" color. But I don't see any difference from 4:2:2. And my tv gets cranked to 20 backlight 100 contrast, automatically, same as RGB setting.

So I don't know,, maybe my TV sucks or I'm missing something. But HDR seems to be "automated Torch Mode" to me more than anything. In a dark room at night, I just wind up turning it all down..

PaulLFC

I currently have an Onkyo HT-R548 - not top of the range by any means but it works and I'm perfectly happy with it. Only thing is I now have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV on the way - seems a shame to replace the receiver but as it doesn't support 4K I guess it's inevitable.

I think I'm going to wait for next year's models though and see if things improve, because one weird thing I've noticed is a lot of the more expensive receivers actually have less HDCP 2.2 compatibility than cheaper models.

For example the cheapest model, TX-SR252 supports HDCP 2.2 on all four HDMI inputs, while the much pricier TX-RZ710 has 8 HDMI inputs but only 3 of them support HDCP 2.2.

This makes no sense to me, if I was paying top money for a receiver I'd expect every single input to support current standards. It seems to be a common theme across AV companies currently though - Pioneer and Yamaha have similar higher end receivers with only 3 HDMI ports compatible with HDCP 2.2. Only Denon seem to have outfitted all of their HDMI ports with proper up to date standards.

Hopefully this improves next year and I can upgrade.

GrazGamer

I picked up the Pioneer VSX-531 to replace my old 1080p all in one Panasonic blu-ray and receiver. Very happy with it. Has 4 inputs each with 4K HDR passthrough for my PC, PS4 Pro and Xbox One S.

Not high end by any stretch of the imagination but still a big improvement over my Panasonic. Never had any handshake issues with any device.

No Atmos or DTS-X support unfortunately but paired with some Tannoy TFX 5.1 speakers it does the job really well for me.

PaulLFC

I can recommend the Denon X1300 I haven't had and issues with it. Fully 2.2 HDCP and HDMI 2.0a compatible.
Denon is where I think my cash is going since Onkyo don't seem to have any receivers with all ports HDCP 2.2 compliant besides their most basic one (which lacks various sound modes etc, that Denon include).

Are there any more of these "technologies"/inconveniences on the horizon like HDCP 2.2 that would effectively obsolete receivers bought today very quickly, as HDCP 2.2 appears to have done for a lot of earlier 4K receivers?

III-V

So I'm not seeing the HDR Wow Factor I don't think. I have a Samsung 65JS8550 (2015). It's on HDMI 1 (4K/60), UHD enabled. PS4 Pro sets it to RGB4K, and when I start Ratchet, my receiver reports 4:2:2 Chroma 24-bit.

Ratchet starts and my TV automatically sets Backlight to 20 and Contrast to 100. In other words, HDR seems to just automatically put my TV in Torch Mode. I can manually turn the backlight down, turn the contrast down... I don't know, does that disengage HDR mode? It just looks like my game settings again.

HDR looks the same to me.. like... I could just manually adjust my TV to backlight 20 contrast 100..

Setting PS4 to use YUV 420, my receiver reports 4:2:0 Chroma and "36 bit" color. But I don't see any difference from 4:2:2. And my tv gets cranked to 20 backlight 100 contrast, automatically, same as RGB setting.

So I don't know,, maybe my TV sucks or I'm missing something. But HDR seems to be "automated Torch Mode" to me more than anything. In a dark room at night, I just wind up turning it all down..

You should probably join some of the other threads on TV and image quality.

HDR should not be "torch mode" but it may be set like this out of the box, particularly with the backlight.

Understand the that average picture level of an HDR enabled game should be identical to that of an SDR game.

So i recommend that you set up and calibrate for comfortable seeetings with SDR in game of choice. Then enable HDR thru the game menu. Adjust the back light until it matches the APL you were getting with SDR. Now you should see the difference in specular highlights and bright spots and color brightnesses not possible with SDR.

Obviously, do this in a spot with an average scene, not in binging sun or snow or with a bright light source.

As far as bit level, avoid 24-bit (8-bit RGB) as this can lead to banding.

100 contrast can be fine for newer sets, the bigger concern is the black level and APL.

Cheers

What speakers are you powering?

Polk center and floor standing, and 4 in ceiling Yamaha's used for Atmos/Neural X/DDS .

That's a point I forgot. This receiver has Atmos and DTS Neo after a firmware update, it's great! And Audessey calibration is fantastic.

Denon is where I think my cash is going since Onkyo don't seem to have any receivers with all ports HDCP 2.2 compliant besides their most basic one (which lacks various sound modes etc, that Denon include).

Are there any more of these "technologies"/inconveniences on the horizon like HDCP 2.2 that would effectively obsolete receivers bought today very quickly, as HDCP 2.2 appears to have done for a lot of earlier 4K receivers?

Potentially, HDMI 2.1.... but it may be possible that this is settled with a firmware update..

I've been happily using a Sony STR-DN1000 AV Receiver for the last 6ish years.

There are lots of things i like about this AV Receiver. I pass through all my current gen consoles (Wii U, XB1 and PS4) via HDMI and then connect the HDMI out to my TV.

This has always seemed the easiest way of connecting up multiple video / sound sources. I only change the HDMI channel on the Receiver and it does everything else.

So, to my question:

The HDMI ports on this Receiver do not support 4k or HDR. I see the PS4 Pro has an optical out. Is there any reason why i couldn't just connect the PS4 Pro to a 4K TV (don't have one yet) directly, and the optical out to the Receiver? I've never done it this way, but i've seen a lot of chatter here from people stating they will need to buy a new Receiver due to 4k.

Second Question::

If a new Receiver is necessary, what is the latest version of the one i have that is suitable?

Pics below for clarification:

str-dn1000.jpg

sonyrec2.jpg

If your Tv supports ARC (audio return channel) you sould be able to output the audio from the Tv to the receiver through one of the hdmi ports on the Tv.

PaNaMa

Banned

HDR should not be "torch mode" but it may be set like this out of the box, particularly with the backlight.

Understand the that average picture level of an HDR enabled game should be identical to that of an SDR game.

So i recommend that you set up and calibrate for comfortable seeetings with SDR in game of choice. Then enable HDR thru the game menu. Adjust the back light until it matches the APL you were getting with SDR. Now you should see the difference in specular highlights and bright spots and color brightnesses not possible with SDR.

Obviously, do this in a spot with an average scene, not in binging sun or snow or with a bright light source.

100 contrast can be fine for newer sets, the bigger concern is the black level and APL.

Cheers

Thanks Man. The thing is, the 2015 Samsung SUHD 8500 series doesn't have an HDR on/ HRD off toggle. You just enable UHD Color Mode on the input, then if a source emits a UHD signal, then the TV shows the UHD signal.If it receives a non UHD Color Signal, it just displays that. You are in essence, enabling the selected HDMI input to display HDR in the event it receives and HDR picture from a connected source. My TV, immediately goes to torch mode when Ratchet starts. I'll check out some of the other threads and see what other 2015 8500 series owners are doing. Thanks mate!

III-V

Cheers

Thanks Man. The thing is, the last years Samsung SUHD 8500 series doesn't have an HDR on/ HRD off toggle. You just enable UHD Color Mode on the input, then if a source emits a UHD signal, then the TV shows the UHD signal. My TV, immediately goes to torch mode when Ratchet starts. I'll check out some of the other threads and see what other 2015 8500 series owners are doing. Thanks mate!

Right, I do not mean to enable the HDR on your set, only to toggle the in game switch. The follow the above instructions to properly set the APL and get outta torch mode!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1310135&page=100000

PaulLFC

Potentially, HDMI 2.1.... but it may be possible that this is settled with a firmware update..
HDMI 2.1 is what's concerning me - I'd read about it, at the moment it seems like it's some way off as the spec doesn't seem to be finalised.

I may hold off a little bit and see if any information appears about whether it'll be another required upgrade or something they can enable via firmware.

Poker360

Polk center and floor standing, and 4 in ceiling Yamaha's used for Atmos/Neural X/DDS .

That's a point I forgot. This receiver has Atmos and DTS Neo after a firmware update, it's great! And Audessey calibration is fantastic.
I'm contemplating between the Denon 1300 or 2300. I currently have a marantz sr5009, I got 2 or so years ago. Great receiver, I love it, however it lacks hdcp 2.2 support which is making want to get something else. I have a 4k tv that supports hdcp 2.2 and 1 hdmi 2.0 port that I plan on upgrading to an hdr set next year, but am not sure if i should just hold off on the avr until then when new models will be out.

Draysoth

Is the Denon AVR-S720W any good for ps pro/xbox one s and HDR?

Its a good price at Best Buy Canada and my old denon doesn't support 4k/hdr or 3d (or the newest Audio formats)

Its a good price at Best Buy Canada and my old denon doesn't support 4k/hdr or 3d (or the newest Audio formats)

No experience with it, but I did just order a refurb 920 from A4L. Should be coming next Tuesday. It's replacing a Yamaha 675 that I really like, but it only supports 4K @ HDMI 1.4, so no HDR. I would've liked to stay with Yamaha or maybe grab a Marantz (though Denon is the same company and the two product lines share quite a bit), but the price was not something I could pass up. I'd have been spending quite a bit more for an equivalent feature set.

Last week I grabbed 49" Sony 800D (real wide gamut + good input lag) on sale, so I'm really pleased that I was able to move to 4K + HDR for $1k.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. I'm using with both the Pro and XB1 S with an LG B6 and it's worked flawlessly. No issues at all. Displays HDR content and everything else you'll want at a great price.

Just want to make sure I am on the right page with HDMI 2.0..
Moving connections over the XBR930D and most of my equipment passes through my A/V Receiver. I want to make sure having a mix and match of HDMI spec cables is okay.

Setup would look something like this. Look okay?

PS4 PRO <<<HDMI 2.0>>> YAMAHA RX-V677 <<HDMI 2.0>> XBR930D
XBOX ONE, 360, PS3, ETC <<HDM 1.4>> YAMAHA RX-V677 <<HDMI 2.0>> XBR930D

Receiver INFO:
This model will support HDMI 2.0 connectivity. It supports 4K Ultra HD 50 Hz/60 Hz signal pass-through to output motion-smooth high definition videos. It also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images.

One thing that sucks is my received doesn't do HDCP 2.2. It tops out at 2.0 last year.
I am going to use the built in apps on my TV for watching stuff so I will turn HDCP off on my PS4. When the time comes and I get a Scorpio and if I decide to dip into UHD Blu's I will think about a new receiver. For now it just doesn't make sense to get one.

Also come to find out the received doesn't support HDR. Which seems to be commonplace for older receivers. I am actually not too worried about this.
There doesn't seem to be too many games that have HDR implemented (just posted in another thread to see if there is a complete list) and since I have PSVR I am going to leave everything as is and just have a straight HDMI cable from the TV to the PRO and swap it in if I want to fuck with the HDR stuff.

Draysoth

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. I'm using with both the Pro and XB1 S with an LG B6 and it's worked flawlessly. No issues at all. Displays HDR content and everything else you'll want at a great price.
Thank you! Wife won't be pleased but I get a new toy to mess with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PIoneer vsx1131 or denon avrx2300w?

Both have two HDMI outputs which I need for my projector. The Denon has all 8 HDMI inputs with HDCP2.2, the pioneer only 3 inputs are hdcp2.2 (not a limitation at the moment). The denon only has BT and airplay, the pioneer seems to have those plus google cast and Spotify connect

Both pretty much the same price (£379/399)

Edit: denon seems to have Spotify connect too

Bi have two HDMI outputs which I need for my projector. The Denon has all 8 HDMI inputs with HDCP2.2, the pioneer only 3 inputs are hdcp2.2 (not a limitation at the moment). The denon only has BT and airplay, the pioneer seems to have those plus google cast and Spotify connect

Denon

III-V

Both have two HDMI outputs which I need for my projector. The Denon has all 8 HDMI inputs with HDCP2.2, the pioneer only 3 inputs are hdcp2.2 (not a limitation at the moment). The denon only has BT and airplay, the pioneer seems to have those plus google cast and Spotify connect

Edit: denon seems to have Spotify connect too

I would also say Denon.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v679_black_u/
This Puppy arrives today via Amazon Black Friday deal $299.99

7.2-channel network AV receiver that features HDMI 2.0a for 4K Ultra HD video upscaling, HDCP 2.2 and high dynamic range (HDR) along with advanced multi-zone speaker configurations powered by high quality discrete amp circuitry. Conveniently access music wirelessly with Bluetooth® from your mobile devices or utilize Wi-Fi to stream online music services and high-resolution audio files. Now with MusicCast, this device can be expanded to deliver wireless multiroom audio playback, all controlled by a simple app

checks off all the boxes

MusicCast wireless multiroom audio support
Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming and Compressed Music Enhancer for Bluetooth
Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
AirPlay®, Pandora®, Rhapsody®, Spotify®, SiriusXM&#8482; music streaming service and AV Controller App
DSD 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple® Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback
YPAO&#8482; - Reflected Sound Control for automatic speaker setup
YPAO&#8482; Volume to ensure natural sounds even at low volume
Virtual Surround Back Speaker for playing 7.2-channel content with a 5.1-channel system
Zone 2 audio with Party Mode
Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Volume
HDMI 2.0a: 4K Ultra HD Full Support with 4K60p, HDCP2.2, HDR* Video and BT.2020 pass-through
7.2-channel surround sound
yamaha-rx-v679-HDMI-inputs.jpg

EB5B3AA1A7D34E5FBBF70155F16EB258_12001.jpg

Cranberrys

I've been happily using a Sony STR-DN1000 AV Receiver for the last 6ish years.

There are lots of things i like about this AV Receiver. I pass through all my current gen consoles (Wii U, XB1 and PS4) via HDMI and then connect the HDMI out to my TV.

This has always seemed the easiest way of connecting up multiple video / sound sources. I only change the HDMI channel on the Receiver and it does everything else.

So, to my question:

The HDMI ports on this Receiver do not support 4k or HDR. I see the PS4 Pro has an optical out. Is there any reason why i couldn't just connect the PS4 Pro to a 4K TV (don't have one yet) directly, and the optical out to the Receiver? I've never done it this way, but i've seen a lot of chatter here from people stating they will need to buy a new Receiver due to 4k.

Second Question::

If a new Receiver is necessary, what is the latest version of the one i have that is suitable?

Optical is fine in my opinion. I'd be lying if I said I could hear a significant difference between DD5.1/DTS and uncompressed. I know it exists on a technical level, just in practice it doesnt seem to really be an issue for me and I wouldn't change a working receiver just for that.

I have tons of fond gaming memories with DD5.1 games (Dead Space, Halo series, Bioshock, Mass Effect Trilogy, RDR...). Never once I thought while playing these games (and others) that the audio was lacking something.

Evo X

I've been using a Denon X1100w for the last 2 years, but it can't pass through HDR.

Went into the store looking at the X1300w or maybe the X2300w. Salesman told me the x1300w would be too underpowered for my Klipsch Reference speakers with SVS PB2000 sub and the X2300w was sold out.

In the end, I bought a Yamaha RX-A860 for $900, which was twice what I was planning to spend. Haven't unboxed it yet. Did I make a mistake or do good?

SourBear

Banned
I've been using a Denon X1100w for the last 2 years, but it can't pass through HDR.

Went into the store looking at the X1300w or maybe the X2300w. Salesman told me the x1300w would be too underpowered for my Klipsch Reference speakers with SVS PB2000 sub and the X2300w was sold out.

In the end, I bought a Yamaha RX-A860 for $900, which was twice what I was planning to spend. Haven't unboxed it yet. Did I make a mistake or do good?

Hint: The sales rep is a snake and was completely lying to you.
I'd return it, get the 1300W and save about $400.

Lady Gaia

Everything I've heard about the Yamaha Aventage line is steering me in a similar direction. I'm inclined to try to get a good price on the RX-A1060 for HDCP 2.2 support on all 7 rear HDMI inputs instead of just the first 3 as on the 860. If that doesn't sound like a problem for you, though, the 860 should be absolutely solid.

I'd been a happy Denon customer for several generations but my last one has so many quirky software issues that have never been addressed and took a dive build-quality wise so I think it's definitely time for me to change it up.

Phreak47

I couldn't get 4k passthrough working with my TX-NR626 unfortunately, though it is supposed to support it (using a new KS8000). Also ARC isn't working with this new TV either, so I am unfortunately running optical back to the receiver from the TV and have two hdmi connections running to the TV (one for PS4 direct, one for VR because of the stupid inability to pass HDR).

Kind of a mess.

Evo X

Hint: The sales rep is a snake and was completely lying to you.
I'd return it, get the 1300W and save about $400.

Dang. Really? I can get the 1300w for about $470. The reason I stepped up is because I thought it would be a lateral move going to that from a 1100w. So I get HDR pass through, but amp quality would remain the same.

The Yamaha 860 competes with the Denon 3300w, so I was hoping for a noticeable boost in sound quality. If that's not actually the case, I'll go back and switch.

Everything I've heard about the Yamaha Aventage line is steering me in a similar direction. I'm inclined to try to get a good price on the RX-A1060 for HDCP 2.2 support on all 7 rear HDMI inputs instead of just the first 3 as on the 860. If that doesn't sound like a problem for you, though, the 860 should be absolutely solid.

I'd been a happy Denon customer for several generations but my last one has so many quirky software issues that have never been addressed and took a dive build-quality wise so I think it's definitely time for me to change it up.

I have had a few software issues with denon as well and the front lcd went out, which was thankfully repaired for free.

Heard good things about the Aventage line from what I've read online. The 1060 would be really stretching my budget. I think I only need 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs. PC, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One S. What other devices would need it?

Lady Gaia

Heard good things about the Aventage line from what I've read online. The 1060 would be really stretching my budget. I think I only need 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs. PC, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One S. What other devices would need it?

That's always the challenge. Trying to future-proof a technology investment can be prudent or a fool's errand. If you're comfortable that you won't need another HDCP 2.2 input then you should be good. There may not even be a need for modern copy protection on your PC input, so even if a future cable / streaming box comes along it's quite possible three is plenty.

I'll be very curious what you think of the unit presuming you go ahead and set it up!

Evo X

That's always the challenge. Trying to future-proof a technology investment can be prudent or a fool's errand. If you're comfortable that you won't need another HDCP 2.2 input then you should be good. There may not even be a need for modern copy protection on your PC input, so even if a future cable / streaming box comes along it's quite possible three is plenty.

I'll be very curious what you think of the unit presuming you go ahead and set it up!

True.

I will set it up later tonight and compare to the Denon. I'll post my thoughts after I have some experience under my belt.

If I can tell the sound quality difference, it stays. If not, I'll swap it for the cheaper X1300w.

SOLDIER

Oh good, an active thread that hopefully can help me figure out my newest problem. The move to 4K continues to be a real bitch for me.

So I wanted to get a 4K compatible Home Theater receiver for both my PS4 Pro and 4K TV. Some people suggested this Denon model, which I finally got around to hooking up today. The model is refurbished, but the setup process worked as intended. Even updated the firmware.

The problem came when I connected the PS4 Pro to the receiver: I would get sound but no picture, and the sound was very low (I would have to turn the volume way up). After switching the ports several time, I got the picture to come on in addition to sound....but it shortly went away again.

So to find out if the problem was the receiver, I hooked up the Wii U. It worked instantly, with the sound operating at normal too. To find out if maybe the PS4 Pro's HDMI cable was the culprit (I would lose picture a few times on the previous TV, forcing me to turn it off and back on), I tried it on the Wii U, no problems again. I tried swapping the PS4 Pro's included HDMI cable with the receiver's...and got even worse sound and no picture.

So I think the problem might be the Pro and not the receiver, but I would really love it if someone is able to confirm whether the receiver SHOULD work, as one person told me that the receiver might be lying about its 4K passthrough. He also suggested that if the Pro is the culprit, I should try disabling HDCP (and provided instructions).

I really want to isolate which device is the problem here. If it's the receiver, I have to return it for one that's guaranteed to work (but the alternatives are more costly). If it's the Pro, I'll have to wait for a firmware update (but at least there are temporary workarounds). If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Lady Gaia

I will set it up later tonight and compare to the Denon. I'll post my thoughts after I have some experience under my belt.

If I can tell the sound quality difference, it stays. If not, I'll swap it for the cheaper X1300w.

I expect you'd notice the most difference with music you know well. Typical bombastic movie and game soundtracks haven't been as revealing in my experience, but once you've found the strengths and weaknesses of an amp you can hear it in a broader range of material. The Klipsch Reference has covers a lot of ground, but anything mid- to high-end in the line should be a good match for a well-designed amp. I don't know the Klipsch speakers' reputation that well but some report that overly bright speakers can be overbearing with Yamaha's amps. YMMV.

Your sub is powered, so the amp is less relevant on that front aside from decent room compensating EQ. I always found Audyssey a little heavy-handed for my taste and wound up turning it off, so I'm also curious about Yamaha's YPAO algorithm. Do tell when you've had some time.

SOLDIER

Followed the instructions to disable HDCP on the PS4 Pro through Safe Mode, tried the receiver again....and nothing.

Not sure what to do here. If I call Denon or Sony support, I have a feeling one will just blame the other. Or do I call Denon to just send me a replacement? Or do I return it to Amazon and try a receiver that people can vouch will work with the Pro and other 4K content?

Help me out here please.

Oh good, an active thread that hopefully can help me figure out my newest problem. The move to 4K continues to be a real bitch for me.

So I wanted to get a 4K compatible Home Theater receiver for both my PS4 Pro and 4K TV. Some people suggested this Denon model, which I finally got around to hooking up today. The model is refurbished, but the setup process worked as intended. Even updated the firmware.

The problem came when I connected the PS4 Pro to the receiver: I would get sound but no picture, and the sound was very low (I would have to turn the volume way up). After switching the ports several time, I got the picture to come on in addition to sound....but it shortly went away again.

So to find out if the problem was the receiver, I hooked up the Wii U. It worked instantly, with the sound operating at normal too. To find out if maybe the PS4 Pro's HDMI cable was the culprit (I would lose picture a few times on the previous TV, forcing me to turn it off and back on), I tried it on the Wii U, no problems again. I tried swapping the PS4 Pro's included HDMI cable with the receiver's...and got even worse sound and no picture.

So I think the problem might be the Pro and not the receiver, but I would really love it if someone is able to confirm whether the receiver SHOULD work, as one person told me that the receiver might be lying about its 4K passthrough. He also suggested that if the Pro is the culprit, I should try disabling HDCP (and provided instructions).

I really want to isolate which device is the problem here. If it's the receiver, I have to return it for one that's guaranteed to work (but the alternatives are more costly). If it's the Pro, I'll have to wait for a firmware update (but at least there are temporary workarounds). If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

You most likely need to disable HDCP on the PS4... It should work fine start that I'd imagine.

Followed the instructions to disable HDCP on the PS4 Pro through Safe Mode, tried the receiver again....and nothing.

Not sure what to do here. If I call Denon or Sony support, I have a feeling one will just blame the other. Or do I call Denon to just send me a replacement? Or do I return it to Amazon and try a receiver that people can vouch will work with the Pro and other 4K content?

Help me out here please.

Why not hook the PS4 up directly to your TV and see what happens?

SOLDIER

Why not hook the PS4 up directly to your TV and see what happens?

I did hook it up directly, but I can't get audio from the TV to the receiver as it does not appear to support ARC.

Could probably get it through optical, but the whole reason I chose to change receivers was so I could get HDMI audio.

Help me out here please.

You should also clarify which TV you are using

I did hook it up directly, but I can't get audio from the TV to the receiver as it does not appear to support ARC.

Could probably get it through optical, but the whole reason I chose to change receivers was so I could get HDMI audio.

Have you updated the Denon firmware? I know that receiver needed an update to run HDR material...

Obviously if the PS4 works when connected to your TV you've isolated the issue to the receiver.

Top Bottom