• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

Cartman86

Banned
I totally empathize OP. This shit is a nightmare. HDMI matrices, multiple TV's, headsets that only use optical make this one of the most annoying things to deal with.

Neifirst

The more I read about 4K, the more I think I should just wait 12-18 months for things to settle a bit. I'll stick with PS4 Pro 1080p gaming for now.

So HDMI 2.1 and HDR10 Dynamic Metadata are probably going to make current AVR's obsolete, yes? How many manufacturers do we think had the foresight to forward design them to be software upgradable? Have any of them commented on this?

I'd wait until that stuff is confirmed before buying. Samsung has said they will update their TV's for dynamic metadata, so that's why I jumped in now for a KS8000. And worst case scenario is they will offer a one connect upgrade. But I'm staying away from AVR's until this dynamic metadata stuff is settled.

Harp

Can cosign.

Great receiver

Just got the Denon 920w coming from the onyko 636, I would have stayed only but the Denon was cheaper. I would say Atmos is worth it, with the upconverter games sound great.

I upgraded because the 636 does not pass through HDR. By I could have gotten away with passing video directly to the tv and just using Arc for sound. The ps4 only does 5.1 so Arc works fine.

So HDMI 2.1 and HDR10 Dynamic Metadata are probably going to make current AVR's obsolete, yes? How many manufacturers do we think had the foresight to forward design them to be software upgradable? Have any of them commented on this?

What are the advantages of HDR10 Dynamic Metadata and HDMI 2.1 over what is available on this years receivers and TVs?

Reallink

What are the advantages of HDR10 Dynamic Metadata and HDMI 2.1 over what is available on this years receivers and TVs?

It brings HDR10 up to par with Dolby Vision in that the HDR effect can be adjusted scene by scene or frame by frame greatly improving quality. It's expected to become the defacto standard going forward.

Can cosign.

Great receiver

The thing about AVR's is BY FAR the biggest differentiator in sound quality is the Auto EQ Mic's and Calibration Suites. Onkyo have pretty unanimously the worst implementation after choosing to drop Audysee for AccuEQ to save costs. Last I checked (last year's models) AccuEQ doesn't/can't/won't apply any EQ or frequency corrections to your front mains, it only EQ's the other speakers to match the mains and does rudimentary volume/distance setup. That is comically stupid, cause if your mains have poor response due to room/positioning/etc (which most do), it just makes everything else equally shitty. They made this change when trying to license Atmos for cheaper and cheaper AVR's. They're just trying to fill out spec and feature sheets at the obvious expense to quality (which apparently works based on the guy's post you quoted). I'd never recommend Onkyo, and that's not even getting into their incredibly wide spread and common multi-model wide defects that fried HDMI boards like KFC fries chicken.

Dave_6

I picked up the Denon X4200W from Crutchfield a couple weeks ago. I couldn't pass it up when the price went down 50% to $799.

RPS37

Don't you also need 4K capable hdmi cables?
I've decided I'm just going to be cheap and plug my devices direct into the tv and replace my receiver with a soundbar.
It's just for my bedroom.

The thing about AVR's is BY FAR the biggest differentiator in sound quality is the Auto EQ Mic's and Calibration Suites. Onkyo have pretty unanimously the worst implementation after choosing to drop Audysee for AccuEQ to save costs. Last I checked (last year's models) AccuEQ doesn't/can't/won't apply any EQ or frequency corrections to your front mains, it only EQ's the other speakers to match the mains and does rudimentary volume/distance setup. That is comically stupid, cause if your mains have poor response due to room/positioning/etc (which most do), it just makes everything else equally shitty. They made this change when trying to license Atmos for cheaper and cheaper AVR's. They're just trying to fill out spec and feature sheets at the obvious expense to quality (which apparently works based on the guy's post you quoted). I'd never recommend Onkyo, and that's not even getting into their incredibly wide spread and common multi-model wide defects that fried HDMI boards like KFC fries chicken.

Onkyos are so bad. always have huge issues with their HDMI boards. Last model they released I believe they extended the warranty because of all the issues they had. Maybe it was the line prior. Either way now they are making the Pioneers also >_<;

Yamaha is good ad YPAO is pretty decent, Audessey is good. Best I have ever used is ARC2 from Anthem though. They make amazing separates and AVR's. Kind of curious about Acram and DIRAC, but until won't get one of those for a long time as long as I have my MRX 1120.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Onkyos are so bad. always have huge issues with their HDMI boards. Last model they released I believe they extended the warranty because of all the issues they had. Maybe it was the line prior. Either way now they are making the Pioneers also >_<;

Yamaha is good ad YPAO is pretty decent, Audessey is good. Best I have ever used is ARC2 from Anthem though. They make amazing separates and AVR's. Kind of curious about Acram and DIRAC, but until won't get one of those for a long time as long as I have my MRX 1120.

it's a bummer too, Onkyo used to make badass receivers 5-6 years ago. Really have gone to shit.

Hey everyone.
I am thinking of upgrading my receiver. Its a Sony that's about 10 years old that my dad gave me. It does lossy DD 5.1 and DTS, it uses optical and no HDMI. Now I am wondering if there would be a decent sound quality upgrade going to something modern with HDMI pass through for TrueHD and DTS HD. I realize movies would probably sound better but do modern games support high res audio or would the difference be minimal? Planning to put my PC through as well as Ps4 Pro later.

Also I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V581.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That whole thing is madness. I feel like Dolby Vision capable TVs should be upgradable but who the hell knows. I guess we'll see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
with the added complications of PSVR, and the processing box not passing through full HDMI colour (never mind 4k or HDR), is it worth looking at receivers with twin outputs? Then you could run one to your TV and one to your PSVR box, ensuring that you can get proper 4k/HDR to your TV without bothering going through the PSVR processing box

Syrus

Banned
It brings HDR10 up to par with Dolby Vision in that the HDR effect can be adjusted scene by scene or frame by frame greatly improving quality. It's expected to become the defacto standard going forward.

You dont think AVR can simply update with firmware?

Im praying xbox scorpio will have video out and audio out hdmi. That should be the standard

Picollus

Neo Member
Don't want to pay for a new AV receiver nor PS4Pro, when the one i have a 2008 Yamaha RXV-663 is working perfectly !!! Still, I have the same problem here for HDR Gaming (Deus Ex) or 3D movie viewing

So this is my setup.

CASE A - PS4 -> HDMI CABLE #1 -> AUDIO RECEIVER -> 4K TV Input 1
CASE B - PS4 -> HDMI CABLE #2 -> 4K TV Input 1 -> OPTICAL CABLE -> AUDIO RECEIVER,

CASE A is Lossless sound (or DTS-HD / or Dolby True HD) that can be used for regular ps4 gaming and 2D blu-ray

CASE B is compressed Dolby Diginal for 3D Blu-ray viewing or HDR PD4 Gaming.

I maually change HDMI cable in my ps4 depending of my preference. Still need to always resetup sound decoding in my TV (Samsung always reset it for unknown reason). Pain in the Ass, but 3D movie or HDR gaming is so rare it don't justify buying new AV receiver now. Will wait for new consoles generation (that I hope will have Blu-ray drive and not download only !!!!)

Yep it break my hearth for having to choose image quality over sound with movie like Gravity or Guardian of Galaxy 3D...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
with the added complications of PSVR, and the processing box not passing through full HDMI colour (never mind 4k or HDR), is it worth looking at receivers with twin outputs? Then you could run one to your TV and one to your PSVR box, ensuring that you can get proper 4k/HDR to your TV without bothering going through the PSVR processing box
Hmm...that's a good idea, actually.

I use this feature for capturing games and it works very well.

That said, it might not work with the PSVR itself since it does seem sensitive.

Hmm...that's a good idea, actually.

I use this feature for capturing games and it works very well.

That said, it might not work with the PSVR itself since it does seem sensitive.

Shit that is a great idea honestly. I mean the processor box is really just a pass through, so if you don't need it to view on screen what you see through the headset and the picture from the PS4 is 1:1 for what you would see through the VR processor, then you have a few options on how you can hook it up depending on how the outputs on the AVR work. Some are a true Zone 2 where you can assign an independent video output to it so you can have Zone 1 be source 1 and Zone 2 be source 2, 3, etc.

Others treat the Zone 2 as a mirror of 1. So both output the same thing video wise but sound output is assigned to 2 channels, or can be the main zone. Just depends.

Depending on the option you could technically do the following

PS4 HDMI Out to AVR
AVR HDMI Out 1 to TV
AVR HDMI Out 2 to VR Processor
VR processor HDMI out to nothing

If they are parallel and mirror your zones outputs, just switch to the PS4 HDMI input. It would then display normally for the PS4 and you get the VR processing.

I still have my PSVR sitting in the box and havent even opened it yet but I can test it out I guess, i do not have anything on PS4 that supports HDR though. Only Deus Ex is supporting it right now currently right? Or is there something else?

In my case it would look something like this

7df474ea-39dd-455c-b172-aef7e4a2b69e_zpsjgfzqb0m.png

I only have a 1080p TV, currently, but I'd like to get a receiver that'll be mostly future proof throughout all this 4K business. I'll only be using 2.1 speakers, so I won't need anything too fancy in the audio department. Being able to play music from my phone wirelessly sounds nice, though.

Which receiver should I get in my situation? This whole world is so new to me because I've been using the same computer speakers for almost 15 years, and they connect via 3.5mm.

edit: Fuck it, I kind of want component inputs just incase...

i've got a great receiver, but it's slightly older (marantz sr 6004)

right now doing optical from my pc and xbox one to it, and hdmi straight to my ks8000

i realize that im missing out on lossless audio, but it still sounds great to me. will there be that much of an improvement? i'm using polk rti speakers in 5.1, so they aren't audiophile quality or anything but they are still pretty decent

Is there any reason to get the Denon AVR-S710W over the Onkyo TX-NR646 if I care about having a Phono port? It isn't *absolutely* essential, but I figure it'll be nice to have if I get a turntable down the line. The Denon seems pretty fantastic aside from the lack of non-HDMI ports, which is slightly worrisome.

ViolentP

This morning, I had some new money burning a hole in my pocket and said fuck it, I preordered a PS4Pro. Reading through this thread I've realized that I will both have to buy a new TV (which was a given), but I would also have to replace my receiver in order to get the most out of the consoles offerings which I still don't know what they will ultimately be. I just canceled the preorder and I'm going to wait for this whole mid-gen upgrade thing to play out.

I like being in on the discovery, but this is an expensive endeavor.

Bumping this thread...can people post their setup (TV & AVR) and confirm the PS4 Pro is working as it should with 4K, HDR?

LG E6 OLED
Pioneer Elite VSX45

PS4 Pro is not playing nice with my Avr. It only detects 1080p as video output, not 4K. Connecting direct into my tv works fine.

dyergram

PS4 pro doesn't like putting 4K through my 4K ready amp so I'm just using the other hdmi input on my tv and using the tv input on the amp seems to work fine.

bill0527

Been looking into getting a 4k HDR TV this holiday.

Until I found out that my Onkyo TX-SR333 that I just bought 2 years ago will not do HDCP 2.2.

What a shit fucking kick in the face.

I really can't afford to upgrade both my receiver and TV right now so I'll wait until next year's offerings. Probably upgrade my receiver this Black Friday and work on getting the new 4k set either in the spring or next fall.

hesido

Does anyone measure audio latencies with this?

My samsung DVD home theatre has a whopping 100 ms latency which makes it impossible to play rhythm games.

DBT85

Ohh the perfect thread.

I'm weighing up whether to replace my Sony DH820 with a HDR capable receiver. Right now the PS4 Pro is the only thing I have that'll do 4k or HDR so I can kind of live with just going into the back of the TV for the time being.

There aren't too many available in my entry level kind of budget. I'm not that sensitive to audio so I'm quite happy only going with the bottom of the market. Though the DH820 won a few awards it was only £300 when I got it 5 years ago.

I've seen the Pioneer VSX-831 for £300 ona few places and I have £280 in amazon credit just sitting there. It'll do everything I want but I've only ever had Sony amps and now people have mentioned dynamic HDR I'm wodering if it'll ever get supported. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EJ5WC4S/

Formosa

You can't do Dolby HD or dts hd over optical.
You can do the regular DD and DTS, just not PCM 5.1 (no Tv can output 5.1 PCM at the moment). DTS is good enough for me. Also some may say you get less input lag if you hdmi straight from Gaming Console to TV instead by pass an AVR.

There are some 4K passthrough receiver with good price out right now, but if you want a 4K receiver with HDMI 2.0, you'll need to spend and lot more money to upgrade. IMO, it's not really worth it for me.

bill0527

Save ur money and just hdmi PRO to TV, TV optical to AVR.

You lose all HD audio formats doing it this way. Plus the minor annoying pain of changing TV inputs all the time and having to keep the TV remote around to do it. Compared to running everything through the receiver to only 1 input on your TV and only having to use 1 remote with my receiver.

DBT85

You can do the regular DD and DTS, just not PCM 5.1 (no Tv can output 5.1 PCM at the moment). DTS is good enough for me. Also some may say you get less input lag if you hdmi straight from Gaming Console to TV instead by pass an AVR.

There are some 4K passthrough receiver with good price out right now, but if you want a 4K receiver with HDMI 2.0, you'll need to spend and lot more money to upgrade. IMO, it's not really worth it for me.

I'm sure I saw someone in this thread say with the correct tool for testing there was 0ms added input lad when tested on passthrough through an amp.

4k HDR receivers can be had for under £300.

Thanks great to hear.

What about the denon avr-s510bt? I've been confused if the s510bt is 2.0a HDR capable. Anyone know?

My understanding is that the 510bt was supposed to be updateable to 2.0a. As of September I'm not aware of any update that released for it to enable 2.0a compatibility. If that's what your looking for, I'd see if they've released anything as of yet. If not, I'd look elsewhere.

Adam_802

My understanding is that the 510bt was supposed to be updateable to 2.0a. As of September I'm not aware of any update that released for it to enable 2.0a compatibility. If that's what your looking for, I'd see if they've released anything as of yet. If not, I'd look elsewhere.

Yeah I've heard the same and I've wondered if the 510bt has been updated yet. I'll probably go with at least the s710w. Guaranteed to have everything.

Doctre81

Yeah forget what I said about my reciever having 4kpassthrough and I will be fine. lol. Guess not. Seems it was made before the 2.2 thing and won't be compatible after all.

Bumping this thread...can people post their setup (TV & AVR) and confirm the PS4 Pro is working as it should with 4K, HDR?

LG E6 OLED
Pioneer Elite VSX45

PS4 Pro is not playing nice with my Avr. It only detects 1080p as video output, not 4K. Connecting direct into my tv works fine.

LG B6 OLED
Pioneer VSX-1130-K

Works fine w/ 4k + hdr w/ the ps4 pro.

One time I had to power cycle the receiver for the pro to detect that it was hdcp 2.2 compliant and that it supports 4k. Aside from that one time, it's working great.

I have the 720w with an LG B6 OLED, PS4 Pro, XB1 S and the Samsung UHD player - no issues at all passing 4K and HDR.

That's good to hear. I have similar setup but with a E6 and no Samsung player. I'm looking into the S720W or X1300W. HDCP issues are annoying as well so if all of that works, then sounds good. Does the XBS work with this Avr playing Uhd blurays?

LG B6 OLED
Pioneer VSX-1130-K

One time I had to power cycle the receiver for the pro to detect that it was hdcp 2.2 compliant and that it supports 4k. Aside from that one time, it's working great.

Interesting. Mine just won't flat out accept that my tv and Avr can accept 4K unless I go direct to tv. Is there an hdcp setting in the Avr somewhere?

LG B6 OLED
Pioneer VSX-1130-K

LG C6 OLED
Yamaha RX-V679

Also works perfect with 4K + HDR with both the PS4P and XB1S.

That's good to hear. I have similar setup but with a E6 and no Samsung player. I'm looking into the S720W or X1300W. HDCP issues are annoying as well so if all of that works, then sounds good. Does the XBS work with this Avr playing Uhd blurays?
Yep, no issues.

The only crappy part about the S is no bitstream out for Atmos, etc but it's coming next year in an update. Just mentioning in case you planned on using it as your primary player and current audio formats was a concern.

Top Bottom