• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

Yep, no issues.

The only crappy part about the S is no bitstream out for Atmos, etc but it's coming next year in an update. Just mentioning in case you planned on using it as your primary player.

What speakers are you driving with it? Plenty of power or would you go with next level up?

What speakers are you driving with it? Plenty of power or would you go with next level up?

Left and right channel:

http://www.legrand.us/nuvo/audio-video/speakers/multi-room-audio-speakers/nv-6iw6.aspx

Center:

http://www.legrand.us/nuvo/audio-video/speakers/multi-room-audio-speakers/nv-6iw6-lcr.aspx

Surrounds (4 of them)

http://www.legrand.us/nuvo/audio-video/speakers/multi-room-audio-speakers/nv-6ic6.aspx

The receiver drives those bad boys just fine. Also have two 10inch subs connected as well.

Disclaimer: I work for Legrand.:)

Doctre81

Apparently there are some HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 HDMI Converters that work pretty well instead of buying a new reciever.

Has anyone tried this?

Bumping this thread...can people post their setup (TV & AVR) and confirm the PS4 Pro is working as it should with 4K, HDR?

LG E6 OLED
Pioneer Elite VSX45

PS4 Pro is not playing nice with my Avr. It only detects 1080p as video output, not 4K. Connecting direct into my tv works fine.

Yeah mine is passing everything fine. If you have a pioneer you have to turn on an option in the advanced menu on specific ports for it to pass 4k correctly.

XJF

Maybe it's just the word choice, but "4K Pass through" seems to me like it would mean "not necessarily supported, but technically works".

I'll probably just get the Sony 770 for $350 as it's identical to the 740 I have now except it supports HDCP 2.2 and HDR.

Gitaroo

I got the marantz nr 1060, can confirm works perfectly with pc and ps4pro hdr. Menu and interface is super simple and support dolby atmos and dts:x. If you can find it it should be cheap now since this is the last year model. This year model nr 1070 didn't really add anything significant.

Maybe it's just the word choice, but "4K Pass through" seems to me like it would mean "not necessarily supported, but technically works".

I'll probably just get the Sony 770 for $350 as it's identical to the 740 I have now except it supports HDCP 2.2 and HDR.
I have a Denon AVR X2200W and it has 4K Pass through and it works fine with the Pro and my PC. It just means the video signal is not affected by the receiver only the audio is, so you can get DTS X etc.

DBT85

Pass through just means "pass the signal through and don't fiddle with it".

Unless I missed it I have it at 4:4:4. You mean that?

Yeah did you switch the input mode where you hold enter and power it on then switch it for BD, hdmi 1 or 2? If you have it on you may have to put it back to 4:2:0

I had a SC95 for awhile but got rid of it because they had too many handshake issues with various 4K devices. Also only those 3 ports listed above would pass HDR in my experience.

Everything is working for me now though

65 E6P
Anthem MRX 1120
Samsung K8500
PS4 Pro
Xbox One S

All pushing HDR through AVR no problem.

maven

My PS4 pro arrives tomorrow. No 4k tv yet (2008 panny plasma still going strong), but I found a ridiculous deal on a marantz av8802, so that should be here soon too.

Embarrassingly, it will probably just be used as an hdmi switch running stereo to my headphone amp :/

Felensis

Banned
I have the Onkyo HTX-22HDX with it's additional speakers as a 5.1 setup for well over six years now. It's AVR is integrated into the subwoofer which itself is rather small which makes this system slim, sleek and sexy which is the first reason I've bought it. For it's time it supported all important formats up to DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD with HDMI 1.4.

Now with an Xbox One S I would love to upgrade, but I just can't find any AVR that is so small and sexy like this Onkyo. I don't want one of these big ass AVRs with thousands of ports which I never will use. I also don't care for 7.1 setups or the like. My wife would kill me ;)

GAF any advice? Can someone recommend me a sleek, small AVR with support for 4K/HDR? Also do the new 4K audio formats (Atmos, new DTS) bring any improvements over Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD with a 5.1 setup? I'm not that an audiophile, I'm happy with 5.1 ever since it began on DVD for home cinema.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheapest receiver with twin HDMI outputs? Bonus points if you can switch HDMI inputs while in standby (hugs Yamaha rxv767). I just realised if I connect a PS4 pro direct to the TV I won't be able to use it on my projector. So I might need a receiver sooner rather than later

If a receiver has airplay/Spotify connect/Bluetooth etc - will they auto switch to an incoming signal or do you still need to grab the receiver remote to change inputs? Would very much hope it'd be automatic

Tratorn

So I'm totally a noob at this, but I would like to build my first little home cinema experience.
I settled for the KS8000 as my tv, but don't have any clue which receiver + 5.1 soundsystem combo would be the best value in my price range (max. 600€, cheaper would be better of course ;) ).

I only know that it definitely should support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to be future proof for a few years, is there something else I really should have?

The KS8000 supports HDMI-CEC (ARC), so I think the receiver should support that too if I want to use that, right? Or would it be enough to just put my consoles directly into the tv instead of the receiver?

edit: I'm in europe/germany btw., since there are probably differences in the names of the systems compared to US.

So I'm totally a noob at this, but I would like to build my first little home cinema experience.
I settled for the KS8000 as my tv, but don't have any clue which receiver + 5.1 soundsystem combo would be the best value in my price range (max. 600€, cheaper would be better of course ;) ).

I only know that it definitely should support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to be future proof for a few years, is there something else I really should have?

The KS8000 supports HDMI-CEC (ARC), so I think the receiver should support that too if I want to use that, right? Or would it be enough to just put my consoles directly into the tv instead of the receiver?

edit: I'm in europe/germany btw., since there are probably differences in the names of the systems compared to US.

For 600 € its not possible to get an avr plus 5.1. At least not with 4k and hdr. Start with 2.1. And it will be hard to not spend more than 600. I built mine this summer. Switched my denon after two months for a yamaha because of connection problems ( thx amazon for your help). Dont worry about ARC, all avrs have this. Speakers i can recommend and which are not expensive are Q Acoustics (order from UK!!!). For me it was more because of space problems but i love them. Good Subwoofer XTZ but you can get a jamo as well have a look at hififorum if you are german. Save money get 2.0 and than buy more speakers. Enjoy your TV ^_~

Tratorn

For 600 € its not possible to get an avr plus 5.1. At least not with 4k and hdr. Start with 2.1. And it will be hard to not spend more than 600. I built mine this summer. Switched my denon after two months for a yamaha because of connection problems ( thx amazon for your help). Dont worry about ARC, all avrs have this. Speakers i can recommend and which are not expensive are Q Acoustics (order from UK!!!). For me it was more because of space problems but i love them. Good Subwoofer XTZ but you can get a jamo as well have a look at hififorum if you are german. Save money get 2.0 and than buy more speakers. Enjoy your TV ^_~

Thanks for the answer.

So it's really not possible for 600? I thought about this receiver for ~250€:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00X4FAQSE/

Seems to be good value for that price.
But it doesn't seem to support ARC, that's why your "Dont worry about ARC, all avrs have this"-comment is confusing me. :p

So there would be ~350€ left. Are there really no entry lvl 5.1 systems worth it for that price?

I found these and I thought they wouldn't be too bad:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00FF9IBE8/

What do you think would be the minimum to spend for a decent 5.1 setup?

So glad to see my little thread generating such interesting conversation from people who know so much more about this stuff than me :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You can get a 4K receiver for about £300 at the moment - prices may drop as new models come out next year but that seems a decent entry point. These speakers seem OK as a package but the total would be above your budget (£649 for speakers plus receiver)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/hts101xp/tann-hts101xp

You could piecemeal the speakers instead like suggested - get a 2.1 setuo first, and then add front&surround speakers later as budget allows

Thanks for the answer.

So it's really not possible for 600? I thought about this receiver for ~250€:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00X4FAQSE/

Seems to be good value for that price.
But it doesn't seem to support ARC, that's why your "Dont worry about ARC, all avrs have this"-comment is confusing me. :p

So there would be ~350€ left. Are there really no entry lvl 5.1 systems worth it for that price?

I found these and I thought they wouldn't be too bad:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00FF9IBE8/

What do you think would be the minimum to spend for a decent 5.1 setup?

Sorry my bad, yes this avr doesn't have ARC, the ones i looked at all had it.

I can't recommend a denon at all, had nothing but problems with my x2200. BT connection was not consistent, App didnt worked, couldn't bring it in my wifi network. With my Yamaha it all worked from the beginning. One thing about the reciever what i couldn't find at the description. Are you sure it supports HDR?

About the speakers, sound is in correlation with the volume (cm3) of the speakers. So if you choose this small satellite speakers they can't produce the sound like big ones.

Its an audio visual experience and its better to build it slow with less money. Forget the rear speakers, go stereo and then center and subwoofer, then the rear. You will be happier in the end.

The speakers i recommended above you can buy in a set 5.1 for about 1k but i wouldn't be happy with the subwoofer especially if you plan to hear music as well.

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3000-series-51-cinema-pack/review

It is really difficult to plan a 5.1 set with not so much money and i spent a lot (maybe to much) time to find the right things.

So please just be sure the avr supports HDR and dont forget Teufel is not what it used to be. There are some good entry speakers from Nubert or Dali (zensor 1) and good entry subwoofer is jamo.

Cheapest receiver with twin HDMI outputs? Bonus points if you can switch HDMI inputs while in standby (hugs Yamaha rxv767). I just realised if I connect a PS4 pro direct to the TV I won't be able to use it on my projector. So I might need a receiver sooner rather than later

If a receiver has airplay/Spotify connect/Bluetooth etc - will they auto switch to an incoming signal or do you still need to grab the receiver remote to change inputs? Would very much hope it'd be automatic

No auto switch at least for my 781v yamaha, but i do it all with my smartphone/app ^_~

Edit: sorry for double post.

I have the Sony STR DN1000, but I now use it away from my main set-up. I think what the OP will find is the most new AVRs won't carry analog video signals over HDMI, which that Sony does and which is great when using old pre HDMI consoles.

I specifically recommend the Denon s910w. It has 8 HDMI inputs, all of which are 4k 60Hz HDR HDCP 2.2 capable. It also has 2 HDMI out. It can handle ARC, as well as optical and analog. It also has two Atmos channels. It has standby HDMI pass through and HDMI-CEC.

Tratorn

Sorry my bad, yes this avr doesn't have ARC, the ones i looked at all had it.

I can't recommend a denon at all, had nothing but problems with my x2200. BT connection was not consistent, App didnt worked, couldn't bring it in my wifi network. With my Yamaha it all worked from the beginning. One thing about the reciever what i couldn't find at the description. Are you sure it supports HDR?

About the speakers, sound is in correlation with the volume (cm3) of the speakers. So if you choose this small satellite speakers they can't produce the sound like big ones.

Its an audio visual experience and its better to build it slow with less money. Forget the rear speakers, go stereo and then center and subwoofer, then the rear. You will be happier in the end.

The speakers i recommended above you can buy in a set 5.1 for about 1k but i wouldn't be happy with the subwoofer especially if you plan to hear music as well.

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3000-series-51-cinema-pack/review

It is really difficult to plan a 5.1 set with not so much money and i spent a lot (maybe to much) time to find the right things.

So please just be sure the avr supports HDR and dont forget Teufel is not what it used to be. There are some good entry speakers from Nubert or Dali (zensor 1) and good entry subwoofer is jamo.

Ok, I'll check some more alternatives and maybe will first start with a 2.1 system as suggested.

Btw. according to this test, the Denon receiver supports HDR:
http://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-denon-5-2-av-receiver-avr-x520bt-gelungener-einstieg-mit-bluetooth/

But yeah, I don't see it in the official description either, so I'm not sure anymore. Have to check again.

As for the comment about volume: My tv room isn't exactly that big, so I don't think that smaller boxes would be a big problem. But well, as I said I'll do some more research before deciding what I'll get.

Thanks @ mrklaw as well for your suggestions.

wbEMX

Sooooo... currently I'm still on a 1080p setup with an Yamaha RX-V675 (HDMI1.4 with 4K pass-through option). Does upgrading to a Pro mean that I need to get a new AVR, although I really like the current one that I only own since 2014?

Ok, I'll check some more alternatives and maybe will first start with a 2.1 system as suggested.

Btw. according to this test, the Denon receiver supports HDR:
http://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-denon-5-2-av-receiver-avr-x520bt-gelungener-einstieg-mit-bluetooth/

But yeah, I don't see it in the official description either, so I'm not sure anymore. Have to check again.

As for the comment about volume: My tv room isn't exactly that big, so I don't think that smaller boxes would be a big problem. But well, as I said I'll do some more research before deciding what I'll get.

Thanks @ mrklaw as well for your suggestions.

Es war nicht die Lautstärke gemeint sondern wirklich das Volumen der Lautsprecher, deswegen auch die Kubikzentimeter in klammer. Es ist einfach eine physikalische Angelegenheit, dass das Volumen den Klang macht.

Sorry for the german part, but too difficult for me to explain in English.

Edit: Good with the HDR, go for it.

mhayze

For gaming use I highly recommend direct connection to the tv and then out to the receiver for audio. I have a leo bodnar measurement device and my onkyo receiver was adding 16-60ms input lag, over the TVs lag. the minimum lag level was with game mode, no audio sync adjustments and video pass through (still +16ms). If you have a way of measuring lag, the. you can make an educated decision, otherwise you may want to assume that using the receiver to switch video will add lag.

I have the Sony STR DN1000, but I now use it away from my main set-up. I think what the OP will find is the most new AVRs won't carry analog video signals over HDMI, which that Sony does and which is great when using old pre HDMI consoles.

I specifically recommend the Denon s910w. It has 8 HDMI inputs, all of which are 4k 60Hz HDR HDCP 2.2 capable. It also has 2 HDMI out. It can handle ARC, as well as optical and analog. It also has two Atmos channels. It has standby HDMI pass through and HDMI-CEC.

Was looking at an x2300w. For the 2 monitor out, can you set each input on the receiver to a different monitor out?

Like bd input to monitor 1, and game input to monitor 2?

Bloodsent

Was looking at an x2300w. For the 2 monitor out, can you set each input on the receiver to a different monitor out?

Like bd input to monitor 1, and game input to monitor 2?

Word of caution, I did this with my X2200W and KS8000, and had nothing but handshaking issues with multiple devices, including the PS4 Pro and Shield TV. Dropping back to a single output to the TV from my Denon corrected all of the problems.

Word of caution, I did this with my X2200W and KS8000, and had nothing but handshaking issues with multiple devices, including the PS4 Pro and Shield TV. Dropping back to a single output to the TV from my Denon corrected all of the problems.

Gotcha. It that's working fine with 1 output with PS4 pro and getting all the 4K settings/modes working properly?

bill0527

Sooooo... currently I'm still on a 1080p setup with an Yamaha RX-V675 (HDMI1.4 with 4K pass-through option). Does upgrading to a Pro mean that I need to get a new AVR, although I really like the current one that I only own since 2014?

Doesn't look like that receiver can handle HDCP 2.2 but that doesn't mean you need to scrap that receiver if you're still doing 1080p with a PS4 Pro. If you upgrade to a 4k HDR TV and want all the nice shiny bells and whistles of the Pro, then you'll need a new receiver.

My PS4 pro arrives tomorrow. No 4k tv yet (2008 panny plasma still going strong), but I found a ridiculous deal on a marantz av8802, so that should be here soon too.

Embarrassingly, it will probably just be used as an hdmi switch running stereo to my headphone amp :/

How much did the Marantz cost you?

Bloodsent

Gotcha. It that's working fine with 1 output with PS4 pro and getting all the 4K settings/modes working properly?

Everything is working great, all settings and modes available. Assuming you want the TV to handle all upscaling, turn off conversion for the inputs and set the mode on the AVR to Game. Should help with some additional input lag that is introduced by the receiver.

Everything is working great, all settings and modes available. Assuming you want the TV to handle all upscaling, turn off conversion for the inputs and set the mode on the AVR to Game. Should help with some additional input lag that is introduced by the receiver.

Can't you just set the PS4 input to "bypass" so no processing is done on that input?

maven

How much did the Marantz cost you?

It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm trying not to count my chickens before they've hatched. I found it on a dodgy looking online store for $200 (retail is ~6500).

Obviously a pricing error, but I figured it was worth a punt. Their email updates say it's been packaged and dispatched, but hasn't reached a local courier yet. Fingers crossed.

XJF

Slightly off-topic, but does the consoles home screen display in HDR? It looks slightly washed out on my XBR65X850C. Anyone with same TV want to post settings so I can make sure I have everything correct?

I have direct connection to TV. I've selected the "Enhanced Display Mode" for the applicable HDMI slot and have video setting at "HDR Video", with console at 2160-YUV420. Ideas?

On my Denon 2313 I used to try having both outputs going to separate inputs on the same TV, one input configured for movie mode the other for game mode and I had all sorts of handshaking issues. I'm planning on getting a Denon 2300W, from what you're saying I'm guessing this method still won't work...
I'm assuming the method someone else suggested with the second output going to PSVR will work at least?

DBT85

Well my Pioneer VSX-831 arrived today.

Not lashed it all in to the system yet as I'm waiting for the TV to arrive tomorrow.

I did however get it hooked into 2 satellite speakers so I could just check it works and get the firmware updated.

Never had one that had Spotify on, already quite pleased with the option of doing that from my phone.

One thing I don't think they've added in yet is the Google Cast support. Not a huge deal since I'll have it on the TV anyway, but surprising its not there by now.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Doesn't look like that receiver can handle HDCP 2.2 but that doesn't mean you need to scrap that receiver if you're still doing 1080p with a PS4 Pro. If you upgrade to a 4k HDR TV and want all the nice shiny bells and whistles of the Pro, then you'll need a new receiver.

I'm in the same boat. But if your new TV can do ARC for 5.1, then the receiver might still be just fine as the audio would be passed by the TV back to the receiver and you can connect the PS4 straight to TV.

Bloodsent

On my Denon 2313 I used to try having both outputs going to separate inputs on the same TV, one input configured for movie mode the other for game mode and I had all sorts of handshaking issues. I'm planning on getting a Denon 2300W, from what you're saying I'm guessing this method still won't work...
I'm assuming the method someone else suggested with the second output going to PSVR will work at least?

Not sure on the PSVR (Don't have one), but I can tell you that the 2200W definitely has handshaking issues with the dual HDMI out. I was ready to give up and think that was the new normal with the different devices I had, until out of desperation I unplugged the second one and everything cleared up.

Sucks as I would have loved to do the game mode/movie mode outputs....

2SeeKU

Is there any meaningful difference between these two Onkyos?

TX-NR646
TX-NR656

Not a whole lot. I have the 646 with remote IR which means l can tuck it away. The 656 looks like it loses that?? Doesn't look like much else has changed.

Some people seem to say the 656 is a downgrade:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...32738-onkyo-tx-nr656-initial-impressions.html

And a good comparison is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7WZNs2...80TXN656/Onkyo-TX-NR646-vs-Onkyo-TXNR656.html

I have the str-dn1040 and I love it but unfortunately it doesn't support Hdcp 2.2. Now I'm in the same situation. Having just spent money on a pro, a new TV, and psvr, Im tapped. for the time being I'm going optical.

The newest version of our receiver is str-dn1070.it cost 599.

FYI optical supports stereo uncompressed. more than 2 channels it compresses the signal. Sound quality is not bad if you've a good receiver but uncompressed is ideal.

Zoe

Not a whole lot. I have the 646 with remote IR which means l can tuck it away. The 656 looks like it loses that?? Doesn't look like much else has changed.

Some people seem to say the 656 is a downgrade:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...32738-onkyo-tx-nr656-initial-impressions.html

And a good comparison is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7WZNs2...80TXN656/Onkyo-TX-NR646-vs-Onkyo-TXNR656.html

Thanks, seems hard to justify the price difference. Do you feel it's sufficiently future-proof?

SourBear

Banned
Thanks, seems hard to justify the price difference. Do you feel it's sufficiently future-proof?

Nothing is future proof. I guarantee you in the next two years the industry will come up with some other thing that will be the latest and greatest that "everyone must have".

JaguarCROW

I continue to get constant disconnect and reconnects when connecting up the PS4 pro to me receiver. I have tried both with HDCP 2.2 disabled and in alternative output modes (Automatic, 4K YUV420 , 4KRGB, and even 1080p) and I still continue to get very frequent disconnects.

This is running System Software 4.06 and the latest firmware on my Denon X6200W. If I connect up the PS4 Pro directly to my LG TV I don't get the issues, but they I lose the 7.1 Surround Audio that my receiver provides.

Anyone else have a similar setup and having any luck?

Top Bottom