• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

tootie923

No problem. I'm not even sure why they have separate modes if one offers only 4:2:0 while the other offers the same thing with more options. And the default mode doesn't even allow a 4k device to be used to its fullest potential, which is kind of weird given that it's marketed as 4k receiver. Maybe someone who understands this better could explain.

I didn't bother to check direct connecting to see if the PSVR is the problem... but I understand PSVR is supposed to support 4k (but not HDR) passthrough, which I am willing to live with since I dont think the receiver will, unless I'm wrong? I didn't see anything in the documentation other than it supports 4k on HDMI 1-4. I also couldn't get ARC working either, and that was fine on my old TV (7100), so now i've also had to connect a damn optical cable.

I went through the settings of the tv, ps4, and receiver extensively (trying to force monitor out to 4k) but it was only showing in 1080p on the TV. I'll test going PS4 straight to receiver without VR and see if the result is any different.

Yeah, the receiver itself still supports HDR as well.

I went thru hell last night trying to get ARC to work for my tv/receiver combo, but finally got it working. The trick is tho, if you don't set it up from the start of turning on both devices and plugging them in and going thru their initial set ups the very first time you cut on the devices, you have to UNPLUG both devices and start all over from scratch and ensure that you turn on the HDMI-CEC on both devices BEFORE you finalize the process. What this does is the tv will THEN recognize your receiver as running thru HDMI and then ARC will work as intended. BOTH devices, the TV and RECEIVER need to have the HDMI-CEC Anynet turned on manually, as both have them turned off by default. So you have to turn them on while initially setting up the tv and receiver.

Hey guys I have a onkyo 646 and a KS8000 the sound is fine but what is weird is that the TV thinks the audio is coming from the TV speakers instead of the HDMI input. Is there any way to fix this?

You can tell the TV where to output sound but....

Are you using ARC?

If not, then I would disable it and HDMI CEC as these things will cause the TV to change those settings around on their own and you'll constantly have to fool with them. These kinds of things are why I never use ARC.

Lady Gaia

No problem. I'm not even sure why they have separate modes if one offers only 4:2:0 while the other offers the same thing with more options. And the default mode doesn't even allow a 4k device to be used to its fullest potential, which is kind of weird given that it's marketed as 4k receiver. Maybe someone who understands this better could explain.

I've seen plenty of posts here from people who don't understand that occasional dropouts and visual noise are the result of cables that aren't capable of reliably transmitting the higher bandwidth signal. So the Yamaha receivers default to a maximum compatibility mode where it doesn't matter what cables you use. Consumers savvy enough to understand the potential issues will enable the full capability of the receiver.

I got my Denon 920 in the other day, really liking it so far. It's passing the signal from my PS4 Pro with zero issues. I'm using the ARC for the fist time. It's nice having the receiver auto switch to the ARC channel when my TV tells it I'm using one of the built in apps, then auto switch back once I exit it.

Mugaaz

Could use your help guys.

I have a Yamaha v481 receiver. I can get HDR at @ 2k on my PS4 pro only. When I go into the receiver and change it from Mode 2 to Mode 1 the screen turns black. Any ideas?

Could use your help guys.

I have a Yamaha v481 receiver. I can get HDR at @ 2k on my PS4 pro only. When I go into the receiver and change it from Mode 2 to Mode 1 the screen turns black. Any ideas?

It's supposed to be Mode 2. Why would you change it?

Evo X

Man, I've been on a roller coaster ride trying to get the right reciever.

I bought the Yamaha Aventage AX-860, which sounded awesome but had a few issues pop up. For one, the Bluetooth would not sync up with any of my phones or devices. Ok. whatever, no big deal. I could overlook it.

But more annoyingly, it would not allow more than stereo sound from my PC. Tried every setting both in the receiver options and PC. Tech support couldn't even figure it out. It also detected my 4K OLED native resolution as 1080p when hooked to the PC and I had to manually override it to 4K. This would cause weird flickerig and blackouts from time to time. Unacceptable as I do the bulk of my gaming on PC.

Finally, YPAO was just not that good. It sounded much better with all of its EQ disabled.

So I ended up exchanging it for a Denon X2300W. Everything works fantastic. No issues with Bluetooth or PC using the same cables and equipment.

Problem is, the sound processing is inferior to the Yamaha.

I thought about stepping up to the X3300W, but it seems like a small jump instead of a leap.

So now I am buying an X4300H. It's over 3 times my initial budget, but should be the best of all worlds and more future proof.

Anyone here have one?

III-V

Man, I've been on a roller coaster ride trying to get the right reciever.

I bought the Yamaha Aventage AX-860, which sounded awesome but had a few issues pop up. For one, the Bluetooth would not sync up with any of my phones or devices. Ok. whatever, no big deal. I could overlook it.

But more annoyingly, it would not allow more than stereo sound from my PC. Tried every setting both in the receiver options and PC. Tech support couldn't even figure it out. It also detected my 4K OLED native resolution as 1080p when hooked to the PC and I had to manually override it to 4K. This would cause weird flickerig and blackouts from time to time. Unacceptable as I do the bulk of my gaming on PC.

Finally, YPAO was just not that good. It sounded much better with all of its EQ disabled.

So I ended up exchanging it for a Denon X2300W. Everything works fantastic. No issues with Bluetooth or PC using the same cables and equipment.

Problem is, the sound processing is inferior to the Yamaha.

I thought about stepping up to the X3300W, but it seems like a small jump instead of a leap.

So now I am buying an X4300H. It's over 3 times my initial budget, but should be the best of all worlds and more future proof.

Anyone here have one?

Did you calibrate the Denon? Install all the latest firmware? Audessey MultEQ XT32 is no joke when properly calibrated.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Any particular reason I can't just run an optical out from my TV to receiver and directly connect to my TV ?

Mugaaz

It's supposed to be Mode 2. Why would you change it?

No, it's supposed to be Mode 1 for 4K HDR. I figured it out. Amazon shipped me a non HDCP 2.2 compliant cable in the 2pack I ordered. One of them supported it, the other did not. Super strange, made it difficult to understand what the problem was.

III-V

Is there anything special you need to do to calibrate xt32 other than run the audyssey setup?

Right, run the Audessey set-up, but also knowing to set all your speakers to small if you are running a sub, which you should be if you have an AVR, and also trimming the sub rolloff properly as well as the crossover. Also need to understand how Dynamic Eq works and best practice for mic placement.

Its actually pretty quirky but damn if it doesn't sound amazing after you get it done properly.

Any particular reason I can't just run an optical out from my TV to receiver and directly connect to my TV ?
Toslink doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry most of the new audio codecs, but you can still get sound if your receiver isn't ancient, the Pro can compress and send.

Lady Gaia

Did you calibrate the Denon? Install all the latest firmware? Audessey MultEQ XT32 is no joke when properly calibrated.

I've never had much luck with Audessey. It has a tendency to get overly aggressive with some corrections even when measuring from a relatively large number of seating positions. The resulting sound is typical of an overly EQ'ed signal – problematic phase relationships resulting in less crisp audio and hard to understand dialogue.

I had hoped that YPAO would be better so I'm sorry to hear about Evo X's experience. When I finally take the leap I'll do some testing and report back, but it may not be in the near future.

III-V

I've never had much luck with Audessey. It has a tendency to get overly aggressive with some corrections even when measuring from a relatively large number of seating positions. The resulting sound is typical of an overly EQ'ed signal – problematic phase relationships resulting in less crisp audio and hard to understand dialogue.

I had hoped that YPAO would be better so I'm sorry to hear about Evo X's experience. When I finally take the leap I'll do some testing and report back, but it may not be in the near future.

Like i said it is quirky and takes time to learn, but I have been using for years and it sounds incredible on my X1300W (recently upgraded from a Denon AVR1712). Surround stage is big and detailed and the center is crystal clear.

I toss in Blade Runner and just watch the opening title scene. Its beyond incredible. Never had any phase issues with the Denon, and no garbled dialog with the X1300.

My only complaint with the X1300W is the trade off in power, but the improvement in SQ is well worth it. I really wasn't expecting such a jump. Very happy with it. Super jealous of those who picked up the X3300 for $500 around BF.

Lady Gaia

Like i said it is quirky and takes time to learn, but I have been using for years and it sounds incredible on my X1300W (recently upgraded from a Denon AVR1712). Surround stage is big and detailed and the center is crystal clear.

Success is presumably entirely dependent on the speakers and room in question. My current receiver is the X2100W (which in turn replaced an AVR-3805), so it should be comparable to what you're using. What have you learned that helped?

III-V

Success is presumably entirely dependent on the speakers and room in question. My current receiver is the X2100W (which in turn replaced an AVR-3805), so it should be comparable to what you're using. What have you learned that helped?

Your right, room has a lot to do with it. In terms of the calibration there is quite a bit.

I would recommend starting here:

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347423-Microphone-placement-

Chris Kyriakakis

This guy answered hundreds of questions over the span of a few years, and really fleshed out a knowledge base. It does take some effort to dig it out, but well worth it when the cal goes right.

You may have read some of his articles before, and you really need to spend some time reading thru so many questions, but eventually piece together his answers into something cohesive and it makes sense. It a bit like walking into a new area in The Witness.

Of course I am kidding, but there are a lot of quirks, particularly with microphone position, calibration ambient noise, making SURE you are using a microphone stand or tripod with mic vertical, re-setting speaker size (this is done by Denon, not audessey) and there is more I can't think of.

EDIT: and it is impossible for me to read your communications without hearing Yennefer voice it all out. also not sure why I felt compelled to mention that..

Lady Gaia

I'll check it out and see what might help. Most of the typical recommendations are things I'm already following, including using proper tripod setup, etc. We do have an unusual home environment with sculpted ceilings that has been described by our piano tuner as uniquely challenging. Presumably Audessey thinks so, too.

and it is impossible for me to read your communications without hearing Yennefer voice it all out. also not sure why I felt compelled to mention that..

I wouldn't have stuck with Yennifer as an avatar if she didn't speak to me as a strong female presence in gaming, so I can definitely accept that with pride. I'd like to think I'm not quite as much trouble as she is, but my wife might beg to differ.

Evo X

Well, I just brought home the Denon X4300H.

Will set it up, calibrate it, then post my impressions afterwards.

And yes III-V, I did do a lot of reading on proper calibration and setup. Only the x3300w and higher models come with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32.

The X2300w had just plain old MultiEQ XT.

Look, I'm not saying it was bad. I was happy with my X1100w for 2 years, but there is no denying you usually get what you pay for and after experiencing the difference first hand, I think a higher end receiver is a better match for my speakers and sub.

III-V

Look, I'm not saying it was bad. I was happy with my X1100w for 2 years, but there is no denying you usually get what you pay for and after experiencing the difference first hand, I think a higher end receiver is a better match for my speakers and sub.

It's ok, I can see you've got the fever only new expensive tech can fix. Now you can power 11 speakers and I think get those 4 overhead...

Awaiting review

Evo X

It's ok, I can see you've got the fever only new expensive tech can fix. Now you can power 11 speakers and I think get those 4 overhead...

Awaiting review

Haha, it's true!

Recently got an LG OLED as well. Only thing left to finish up the setup would be Atmos overhead speakers.

and maybe a second sub. Lol

Edit: Wow, after spending all this money on the new setup, I find out that the Xbox One S can't even Bitstream the best audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD on the 4K blu rays.

Fucking fantastic. Does anyone know what the PS4 Pro supports?

Haha, it's true!

Recently got an LG OLED as well. Only thing left to finish up the setup would be Atmos overhead speakers.

and maybe a second sub. Lol

Edit: Wow, after spending all this money on the new setup, I find out that the Xbox One S can't even Bitstream the best audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD on the 4K blu rays.

Fucking fantastic. Does anyone know what the PS4 Pro supports?

Xbox is supposed to get a firmware update to do bitstream sometime next year. PS4 does do bitsream but no 4K blu rays sooo yeah lol.

Get a standalone. Samsung is super cheap right now but Oppo is coming out this month. Dropping my Samsung and getting the Oppo day one.

My Onkyo literally just crapped out and I'm getting no sound on any channels. Looking online it looks like its an HDMI card issue or overheating. Both are common, but unfortunately mine isn't part of a large recall for some reason.

This thread is a blessing.

wowzors

Does anyone have an idea of how I can keep my Denon 4520 and use my ps4 pro in 4k while still keeping dts hd audio?

I really don't want to replace my flagship receiver with some cheaper one just because the cheaper one can do 4k (and its going to sound shittier).

PaulLFC

Does anyone know why a lot of receivers currently only support HDCP 2.2 on a limited number of HDMI inputs (usually 3)?

I'm upgrading my Onkyo receiver soon as it doesn't do 4K, but no Onkyo models currently seem to do more than 4 inputs with HDCP 2.2 (and those are the "basic" models, the higher end ones do even less with 3, for some bizarre reason). So they're out. It's possible I may only need a couple of inputs with HDCP 2.2 but if I'm spending a few hundred on a receiver I want it to be as future proof as possible, and since some other brands do support it on all inputs, they seem the best way to go.

Currently top of my list is the Denon AVR-X2300W, which seems like a nice upgrade from my budget HT-R548 Onkyo I have at the moment. Only drawback I can see is it doesn't do Google Cast, but since my TV does that's not a huge issue. I'm just waiting to see if it drops below its current £399 in the January sales.

Lady Gaia

Does anyone know why a lot of receivers currently only support HDCP 2.2 on a limited number of HDMI inputs (usually 3)?

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing costs were on a per-connection basis. One way to control costs to offer a less expensive product would be to limit the number of HDCP 2.2 inputs.

The more cynical view is that it's just a way to differentiate across the product line, but that would require collusion between manufacturers or else one would just offer it on all inputs and attract all the customers, so I don't think this is plausible.

PaulLFC

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing costs were on a per-connection basis. One way to control costs to offer a less expensive product would be to limit the number of HDCP 2.2 inputs.

The more cynical view is that it's just a way to differentiate across the product line, but that would require collusion between manufacturers or else one would just offer it on all inputs and attract all the customers, so I don't think this is plausible.
Yeah licensing costs is a good bet I didn't consider - I just don't really understand why even the very expensive, high end receivers from some manufacturers don't have full HDCP 2.2 compatibility - Onkyo doesn't have a single receiver with it on all ports, and neither seemingly do Yamaha or Pioneer. It's possibly so they can go "full HDCP 2.2 compatibility!" next year, but that's probably too cynical.

Onkyo TX-NR646 owners: do you have any problems with PS4 UI noises? It's almost as if my receiver goes to sleep when there's no sound going through the speakers, only to wake up after a few sound samples try to come through. I'm very frustrated this is happening during the first day of use.

Onkyo TX-NR646 owners: do you have any problems with PS4 UI noises? It's almost as if my receiver goes to sleep when there's no sound going through the speakers, only to wake up after a few sound samples try to come through. I'm very frustrated this is happening during the first day of use.

I don't see that except right after HDMI handshaking. So for example right after I cut on the PS4, or it changes resolutions or goes into 24hz mode, I might miss the first half second of audio that comes out but it never cuts out after that. My receiver and PS4 are both up to date with firmware. I'm using HDMI audio out and PCM on the PS4.

I don't see that except right after HDMI handshaking. So for example right after I cut on the PS4, or it changes resolutions or goes into 24hz mode, I might miss the first half second of audio that comes out but it never cuts out after that. My receiver and PS4 are both up to date with firmware. I'm using HDMI audio out and PCM on the PS4.

So I did chat with Onkyo customer support, and it turns out I just needed to change the PS4's audio settings. False alarm! :)

SOLDIER

I've got a small problem I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I've been using my Yamaha receiver to get ARC from the devices on my TV to the receiver, and it works as intended. However, it hasn't been as easy getting audio from my PC to the receiver.

I have the PC connected to the receiver directly, rather than the TV itself. According to some other GAFers, I have to connect the PC to the receiver, or I won't get surround sound as an option under the list of connected speakers.

The problem is whenever I switch to the receiver as my default sound device, it won't register any sound until I open up the Setup menu using the receiver remote. I don't have to select anything, just opening up the Setup menu does the trick.

How do I bypass this part so that it just outputs the sound naturally? I don't want to have to do that extra step every time I want audio from it.

Edit: Okay, I believe I found the problem for my receiver/PC connection: when I switch inputs on my TV to my receiver, it'll display the current device, but it won't switch over to the audio input automatically.

For example, let's say I'm displaying the PS4 on my TV (as it's directly connected), and I switch over to my Home Theater (where my PC is connected). It'll show my desktop display, but it will still be using AV1 as the audio output (which is used for everything connected to my TV). For some reason hitting the setup button on my remote will have the receiver switch to HDMI 2 automatically so it can output the PC's audio.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get the receiver to switch to that output automatically. Perhaps I could bypass this if I use my Harmony remote to switch to it automatically, but there has to be a setting that I'm missing on the receiver's end.

A.Romero

For folks with the Onkyo TX-NR656, is the volume coming out of the speakers supposed to be very low or is it something in the PS4/TV that I need to change or what? I believe the sound, while it'll get loud enough when I blast it loud enough, I have to have the joint playing over like 25-30 before I can even hear the thing and like 50-60 before it's at a moderately loud, movie watching type setting. I know my previous receiver, some older Sony from ages ago, thrut he same Onkyo speakers that I'm using, I'd not have to play the volume much past 5 to be heard and 25-30 was usually efficiently loud for tv/movies/gaming.

I just got a 656 last weekend and I'm also upgrading from an old Sony receiver (a DH520) and I'm also experiencing low volumes. It seems to be something normal for this model. It's enough for me as my speakers are really modest and the room is small but it did take me by surprise.

I don't have an atmos/dtsx nor 4k set up yet but so far I can totally tell a difference from my previous device in both image quality and sound. Even my gf that normally don't care about this kind of stuff noticed it.

I got it for $448 at best buy by doing price matching with a Walmart.com offer.

PaulLFC

Is there much difference between the Denon AVR X-2300W and the X-3300W? I was all set to go for the 2300W but have seen a couple of posts here and elsewhere praising the next model up - just not sure if it's worth the additional ~£200. It supposedly has noticeably better sound quality, so if that's the case it could be enough to sway my decision.

I currently have only a basic 5.1 system, but if the 3300W is going to provide more future proofing options should I want to upgrade the speaker setup, and potentially last longer before needing an upgrade, I might consider it.

Felensis

Banned
I have the Onkyo HTX 22HDX. Since I've got the One S I've hooked it up via HDMI to my 4K HDR-TV which is connected via optical out to the AVR.

I love this Onkyo system because it's slick, sleek, minimal and powerful, but now I'm restricted to compressed audio.

I don't want one of these expensive big ass AVRs. Heck I don't even need all these ports to connect something.

GAF, any recommendations of something comparable to the 22HDX, but with 4K+HDR support?

A.Romero

I have the Onkyo HTX 22HDX. Since I've got the One S I've hooked it up via HDMI to my 4K HDR-TV which is connected via optical out to the AVR.

I love this Onkyo system because it's slick, sleek, minimal and powerful, but now I'm restricted to compressed audio.

I don't want one of these expensive big ass AVRs. Heck I don't even need all these ports to connect something.

GAF, any recommendations of something comparable to the 22HDX, but with 4K+HDR support?

It seems the 22HDX is about $399 and includes a couple of speakers and a sub. Matching that is going to be difficult.

I think the lowest you should spend on a Receiver is 250 (there are options from Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha around that price). A couple of Polk T15 speakers will cost about 70 USD and a subwoofer would be at least $150.

Adding up you would be spending about $70 USD over what your current set up costs and would give you plenty of upgrading options. Personally I think going lower would not be a good idea.

j-wood

Now that I have a 4k tv, I'm thinking about getting a 4k receiver because of some sync issues i'm having on the xbox one.

Would this receiver be any good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-10...heater-receiver-black/4914601.p?skuId=4914601

I only have 5.1 speakers, so I'd be future proofing myself a bit. I assume I can just turn on a 5.1 mode and ignore the other speaker inputs on the receiver?

I'd be keeping the same speakers, which are yamaha. I got them with an all in one yamaha box (YHT-4910UBL). I should have an issue using those speakers with a new receiver right?

A.Romero

Now that I have a 4k tv, I'm thinking about getting a 4k receiver because of some sync issues i'm having on the xbox one.

Would this receiver be any good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-10...heater-receiver-black/4914601.p?skuId=4914601

I only have 5.1 speakers, so I'd be future proofing myself a bit. I assume I can just turn on a 5.1 mode and ignore the other speaker inputs on the receiver?

I'd be keeping the same speakers, which are yamaha. I got them with an all in one yamaha box (YHT-4910UBL). I should have an issue using those speakers with a new receiver right?

I would recommend you to bump it to at least something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...heater-receiver-black/5017701.p?skuId=5017701

It doesn't matter if it supports more speakers than what you have connected, when calibrating just select the right setting.

Regarding the speakers I'm not sure, check the specs (usually in the back) and be careful with the volume as the new receiver would probably be more powerful than what you have right now.

The sub must be active so make sure the one you have is powered. It's simple to find out: if it plugs to the electric outlet by itself it is active, if not, then it's passive and would not work on the new receiver.

PaulLFC

I currently have these Onkyo HTP-538 speakers and sub (spec sheet), bought as a package with the receiver I have.

Since the receiver doesn't do 4K I'm planning to upgrade, but if at all possible I want to keep the speakers and subwoofer for now - although they're basic I'd rather not have the combined expense of AVR + speakers + sub in one go.

I thought I'd narrowed my AVR choice down to either the Denon AVR X-2300W, or the X-3300W. However, I noticed today my current speakers say "Maximum input power: 120W" on the spec sheet linked above - the 2300W is labelled "7 x 150W" on the Denon site, and the 3300W is "7 x 180W".

Does this mean my current speakers wouldn't work with either of those AVRs?

A.Romero

I currently have these Onkyo HTP-538 speakers and sub (spec sheet), bought as a package with the receiver I have.

Since the receiver doesn't do 4K I'm planning to upgrade, but if at all possible I want to keep the speakers and subwoofer for now - although they're basic I'd rather not have the combined expense of AVR + speakers + sub in one go.

I thought I'd narrowed my AVR choice down to either the Denon AVR X-2300W, or the X-3300W. However, I noticed today my current speakers say "Maximum input power: 120W" on the spec sheet linked above - the 2300W is labelled "7 x 150W" on the Denon site, and the 3300W is "7 x 180W".

Does this mean my current speakers wouldn't work with either of those AVRs?

They will work, the only thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep an eye on the volume as you could blow them. As long as you keep them in the same volume range than what you currently have you should be fine.

PaulLFC

They will work, the only thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep an eye on the volume as you could blow them. As long as you keep them in the same volume range than what you currently have you should be fine.
Great to hear, thanks!

Keeping volume the same may be difficult initially as for some reason the Onkyo displays volume as 1-99, whereas the Denon uses dB. I've tried to find a converter so I can see what for example 24 on the Onkyo would be as dB, so I can set the Denon to that initially, but I can't find one as yet.

I think what I'll have to do is start from zero volume on the Denon and just increase gradually until it sounds about the same volume as I use now.

Felensis

Banned
It seems the 22HDX is about $399 and includes a couple of speakers and a sub. Matching that is going to be difficult.

I think the lowest you should spend on a Receiver is 250 (there are options from Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha around that price). A couple of Polk T15 speakers will cost about 70 USD and a subwoofer would be at least $150.

Adding up you would be spending about $70 USD over what your current set up costs and would give you plenty of upgrading options. Personally I think going lower would not be a good idea.

In the meantime I found something equivalent. The Marantz AVR NR1506. Currently available for 385€ from Amazon and fully 4K/HDR compatible. No Dolby Atmos/DTS:X though, but I don't plan to use those formats ever. We live for rent in a rather small apartment. Makes no sense to pin some speakers to the ceiling there.

New speaker + subwoofer set from Teufel: Consono 25 Mk3.

PaulLFC

Great to hear, thanks!

Keeping volume the same may be difficult initially as for some reason the Onkyo displays volume as 1-99, whereas the Denon uses dB. I've tried to find a converter so I can see what for example 24 on the Onkyo would be as dB, so I can set the Denon to that initially, but I can't find one as yet.

I think what I'll have to do is start from zero volume on the Denon and just increase gradually until it sounds about the same volume as I use now.
After more reading round I've found this post which seems to do some "RMS to listening volume" calculations for speakers rated at less power than the amp.

Someone please correct me if my calculations are way off here or make no sense, but taking those and adapting them to my potential set up, I get:

Denon AVR X-2300W amp: 150W x 8 ohms = 1200
Current Onkyo speakers: 120W x 8 ohms = 960
(960 / 1200) x 100 = 80%

So if this is correct that I could give the speakers 80% of the amp's power before damaging them, then that's great as I've never had my current amp louder than 50 on its 1-99 volume scale - therefore I should be able to keep the Denon at sound levels matching the current ones I listen at, while leaving loads of headroom in the speakers before potentially damaging them, correct?

Does any of this sound right or am I making no sense? haha

Edit: Argh, the speakers are rated 6 ohms impedence. Therefore I assume that reduces the above calculations - to what presumably depends on the amp - for which the specs say:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 95 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) -
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 125 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive) 150 W

I'm assuming I go with 6 ohm as that's what's rated at its claimed 150W, so:

X-2300W Amp - 150 x 6 = 900
Speakers - 120 x 6 = 720
(720 / 900) x 100 = 80%

So no change in the volumes I have to stick to, which should mean I have no issues with volume potentially being too loud for the speakers - I hope!

A.Romero

In the meantime I found something equivalent. The Marantz AVR NR1506. Currently available for 385€ from Amazon and fully 4K/HDR compatible. No Dolby Atmos/DTS:X though, but I don't plan to use those formats ever. We live for rent in a rather small apartment. Makes no sense to pin some speakers to the ceiling there.

New speaker + subwoofer set from Teufel: Consono 25 Mk3.

That's awesome! (And way beyond what I thought you would spend).

I'm not advocating for Atmos/DTS:X but there are options to place speakers on top of the front to bounce the sound from the ceiling. No need to cut holes!

After more reading round I've found this post which seems to do some "RMS to listening volume" calculations for speakers rated at less power than the amp.

Someone please correct me if my calculations are way off here or make no sense, but taking those and adapting them to my potential set up, I get:

Denon AVR X-2300W amp: 150W x 8 ohms = 1200
Current Onkyo speakers: 120W x 8 ohms = 960
(960 / 1200) x 100 = 80%

So if this is correct that I could give the speakers 80% of the amp's power before damaging them, then that's great as I've never had my current amp louder than 50 on its 1-99 volume scale - therefore I should be able to keep the Denon at sound levels matching the current ones I listen at, while leaving loads of headroom in the speakers before potentially damaging them, correct?

Does any of this sound right or am I making no sense? haha

Edit: Argh, the speakers are rated 6 ohms impedence. Therefore I assume that reduces the above calculations - to what presumably depends on the amp - for which the specs say:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 95 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) -
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 125 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive) 150 W

I'm assuming I go with 6 ohm as that's what's rated at its claimed 150W, so:

X-2300W Amp - 150 x 6 = 900
Speakers - 120 x 6 = 720
(720 / 900) x 100 = 80%

So no change in the volumes I have to stick to, which should mean I have no issues with volume potentially being too loud for the speakers - I hope!

Yeah! Don't worry too much about it, you will be listening at some distortion before the speakers break.

For me 50% of the total volume is usually loud enough.

PaulLFC

Yeah! Don't worry too much about it, you will be listening at some distortion before the speakers break.

For me 50% of the total volume is usually loud enough.
Great, thanks for your help! Now just to wait for the sales and see if the X-2300W gets reduced further or not.

Diagol

This thread has been absolutely amazing. I'll be buying a new TV next year, so I'm planning on buying a new receiver on boxing day. Having trouble deciding between the Onkyo TX-NR656, Denon AVR-S720W and Yamaha RX-V581!

Here's a question I have though, as the HDMI cables I have are incredibly old. I've been looking at Monoprice regarding some new cables, and it looks like they have different categories now.

Would this cable be ok for the 4K, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and 3D all work with this cable? Or should I look at one of their different categories (such as their luxe series)?

Lady Gaia

Here's a question I have though, as the HDMI cables I have are incredibly old. I've been looking at Monoprice regarding some new cables, and it looks like they have different categories now.

Would this cable be ok for the 4K, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and 3D all work with this cable? Or should I look at one of their different categories (such as their luxe series)?

The cable you referenced should be fine. So far there are only two certification levels for HDMI cables: the original specification, and the newer high speed specification which that cable does indeed support. Individual features like 3D / HDCP 2.2 are important when it comes to endpoints (players, displays, and receivers) but the cable itself doesn't actually decode the signal so it doesn't really care what data it carries, so long as it can handle the bandwidth requirements implied by the signal you're sending.

Top Bottom