• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Lime

You trying to make it to do some specific job or what?

Haha, yeah I wish that was my job. I'd probably make some pretty efficient mechs with excellent purposes. Like a home-cooking Urbanmech or something.

Too bad it is devoid of critical info about weapons like, you know, the damage/range/rate? I don't want to have to pull up the wiki each time to compare so it kinda sucks. There's also the bug where you can't buy a second mech too.

PPCs really seem to be shitty this game. I get perfect hits in a row on a stationary target with the 3 on my Awesome and I have never gotten a single kill yet. Laser boat, SRM shotgunning, and AC/Gauss seem to be the most effective overall right now.

I'm really only holding out for more graphics options to be patched in right now. If there's no way to remove the cockpit view and just show the HUD then I will never be able to play this game for more than 30 minutes. It sucks to get motion sickness easily :(

I don't think removing the cockpit will be a toggleable option - the reason being that it would provide you with too many gameplay benefits. It's the same reason why the devs have said they won't do an external camera.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think removing the cockpit will be a toggleable option - the reason being that it would provide you with too many gameplay benefits. It's the same reason why the devs have said they won't do an external camera.

Which is fine, IMO. Just make sure the cockpit doesn't cause any issues or distract players.

EDIT, just remembered... IIRC, AC2 and AC5 are pretty shitty in the tabletop game... do these work well in MWO? If not, my Dragon (assuming i play one, this game has too many cool mechs) will be needing some serious tweaking (though the simplest modification is upping the AC5 to UAC5).

Orayn

I was testing how damage works a little bit and have some theories on that, but feel reluctant to talk about it til NDA works (as it's system related as opposed to "MAN THIS IS FUN..which it is").

No idea what SRM shotgunning is, though lol.

It involves a large number of SRM6 units and pretending that missiles are buckshot.

Lime

Added a bunch of people who posted their online IDs in this thread. Nickname is Radiant Monolith.

Have Piranha said anything about doing paint jobs on your mechs? Or is a feature that is coming much later than final release (gameplay and bugs being the first priority)?

I want this game so bad! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I must say that the game can be somewhat addicting. Getting a 'mech kill is so incredibly satisfying, you have no idea.

Bizazedo

Added a bunch of people who posted their online IDs in this thread. Nickname is Radiant Monolith.

Have Piranha said anything about doing paint jobs on your mechs? Or is a feature that is coming much later than final release (gameplay and bugs being the first priority)?

Or Clan / House symbols? I was daydreaming while leafing through my old Stackpole Battletech novels and realized I reeeeeeeeeeally want them.

Orayn

House/Merc Corps symbols and custom color schemes and camo are all confirmed, though I wouldn't count on there being a wide selection of them at launch. The core game is the top priority, and it is coming along quite nicely.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I believe you also get more if you gain rank in your house, and apparently none of that has been put in yet. I hear it may even be a while after public launch.

Mupod

Do MWO SRMs work the same way as in MW4? That is, as unguided rockets, unless they're Streak variant, in which case they home in if fired when the targeting reticule is held over an enemy withing range?

yes, although it's been a very long time since I played MW4 so I can't directly compare them.

SRM6s really do feel like a shotgun. I prefer streaks though, since they tend to hit in tight groupings.

House/Merc Corps symbols and custom color schemes and camo are all confirmed, though I wouldn't count on there being a wide selection of them at launch. The core game is the top priority, and it is coming along quite nicely.

I'm hoping for stuff like what From put into Armoured Core in the later console stuff, basic shapes on layers that you can modify.

Pay for shapes, maybe packs of shapes for a buck or two, add twenty extra layers for a buck, or some shit.

Could let players get really complicated, really unique, and generate some extra scratch on the side.

Woorloog

Banned
yes, although it's been a very long time since I played MW4 so I can't directly compare them.

SRM6s really do feel like a shotgun. I prefer streaks though, since they tend to hit in tight groupings.

SRMs in MW4 were a shotgun weapon, even more so than LB-X autocannons.
Canonically SRMs should work as missiles, not rockets, even without Streak, ie they should be locked-on and they'd home in (somewhat, SRMs spread a lot in the tabletop game IIRC). If i recall correctly.
MRMs (medium range missiles), are canonically, despite their name, unguided rockets. (Won't be available in-game for years yet).
Rocket Launchers are one-shot weapons, also unguided as their name implies.

Lime

Wow, it's too bad we're under NDA as there are so many great stories I've experienced in the last couple of days that I want to talk about. I guess I could tell one little bit by being as general as possible: Just now I was on a team full of lights and meds against assault and heavies on Caustic Valley (the newest revealed map) and everyone played so marvellously. E.g. one commando and a 100kph centurion flanked a dual gauss catapult and killed it from behind while I was drawing its attention. Or the moment when 4 Atlas were swarmed by these small, fast mechs in the middle of the map. We completely obliterated the opposing team, despite having around 200 tons in difference between the two teams.

That was such a great experience.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can't wait til we get a Gaf clan so we can coordinate. This game is so heavily dependent on teamwork that playing with PUGs is really hit or miss.

sp3000

Wow, it's too bad we're under NDA as there are so many great stories I've experienced in the last couple of days that I want to talk about. I guess I could tell one little bit by being as general as possible: Just now I was on a team full of lights and meds against assault and heavies on Caustic Valley (the newest revealed map) and everyone played so marvellously. E.g. one commando and a 100kph centurion flanked a dual gauss catapult and killed it from behind while I was drawing its attention. Or the moment when 4 Atlas were swarmed by these small, fast mechs in the middle of the map. We completely obliterated the opposing team, despite having around 200 tons in difference between the two teams.

How would you compare the game with Mechwarrior Living Legends?

This sounds fantastic!! I can't wait!

Ah fuck it GAF. Is this worth paying the 30 to get in early. I'm stopping by my house tomorrow to pick up something and am thinking of grabbing my joystick.

Edit: Stupid question, but are they going to have full clan support?

Edit2: Just bought veteran. How can I find you guys?

Zaptruder

Banned
Just to let you guys know, in case you have this itch about wanting to discuss beta stuff that you're dying to scratch...

There are hidden beta forums that you can access on mwomercs.com that you can see only after you login to the website (and have beta access on your account).

All sorts of very detailed discussions on the various details of balancing that's fun to get it on at this point in time, in addition to notification of bugs and server outages.

Bizazedo

That sounds very similar to an experience on Caustic Valley I had arouid the same time as your post. I was in a Jenner and we swarmed all over them, it was hilarious.

Lime

Oh yeah, you're the guy I headshot in the Catapult. Sorry I didn't respond, still a bunch of targets around.

Haha, I actually didn't recognize your name from GAF, I simply thought you made a wise shot selection when my newly tried C4 had overheated. Had plenty of armor in the torso, but your prior shots had already weakened my cockpit, so I was hoping you would aim for my CT, as most people do when someone has overheated. Unfortunately, you were smarter than that :)

How would you compare the game with Mechwarrior Living Legends?

I never could get MW:LL to run properly with my Crysis Wars key and I seriously hate Gamespy's account-based system, so I haven't had any multiplayer experience with it. Nevertheless, judging from the many videos I've seen of LL, I would say that the fan mod seems less "weightier" in terms of piloting. Then there is obviously the difference in production values (the Gauss rifle effect is like a 2012 version of MW2's) and polish that would make MW:O preferable, imo. But like I said, I have no actual playing experience with LL.

Ah fuck it GAF. Is this worth paying the 30 to get in early. I'm stopping by my house tomorrow to pick up something and am thinking of grabbing my joystick.

Edit: Stupid question, but are they going to have full clan support?

Edit2: Just bought veteran. How can I find you guys?

I made a list of the people who have posted their nicks:

Code:
Nickiepoo
Union Carbine
Zaptruder
Divvy
Llyranor
kagete
Orayn
Damnatus (GAF nick: Ebris)
SpeedRazor
Colonel Skills
InfectedZero 
codeocho (GAF nick: ochobit)
Splatbang (GAF nick: Nymerio)
Bizazedo
Radiant Monolith (GAF nick: Lime)

If I missed anyone, please tell me so. I know Dalauz and mupoad haven't posted theirs.

That sounds very similar to an experience on Caustic Valley I had arouid the same time as your post. I was in a Jenner and we swarmed all over them, it was hilarious.

I really appreciated how everyone was so nice to each other and also complimented everyone on the team. Communication in this game really does wonders.

Do beta applications still get approved now the pay for a beta program is in play?

I could imagine they would probably scale back the non-Founder beta applications, as Piranha now has a financial incentive for handing out closed beta keys. But that is me being pessimistic.

Caved in and bought into a founder deal. It's so good, classic good times. Hope alot gets added to this. Assume the 7th beta date will include a bit meatier update?

Orayn

Caved in and bought into a founder deal. It's so good, classic good times. Hope alot gets added to this. Assume the 7th beta date will include a bit meatier update?

I believe the 7th is when the Founders 'Mechs go live in-game, I'd expect some other additions as well.

Haha holy shit I was half dead at work today because I stayed up until like 5AM playing this game.

Had an insane match where basically everyone on my team but me got obliterated. I managed to get 5 kills before losing the match. SOME EPIC MOTHERFUCKING GAUSS SHOTS!

Looking forward to how they move forward with this.
Definitely not regretting the Founders purchase.

Really wish I could get my stick working properly though...

oh and my ID is COMET STRATUS. Still trying to find my rhythm but please add me! Just realized you can add friends haha.

Kem0sabe

Been checking out the crysis mechwarrior mod and i´m impressed, the whole combined arms approach is such a novel idea to apply to a mech game and the maps seem huge.

Any idea if the MW online guys are planning to add aerospace fighters, power armors, tanks, hovercrafts and VTOL´s at some point?

Some of the fondest memories i have of the setting was reading the grey death legion books and all the tactics and different weapon systems that took part in the engagements.

Woorloog

Banned
Been checking out the crysis mechwarrior mod and i´m impressed, the whole combined arms approach is such a novel idea to apply to a mech game and the maps seem huge.

Any idea if the MW online guys are planning to add aerospace fighters, power armors, tanks, hovercrafts and VTOL´s at some point?

Some of the fondest memories i have of the setting was reading the grey death legion books and all the tactics and different weapon systems that took part in the engagements.

No plans for that, AFAIK. Me, i'd rather keep it as Mechs only anyway. LL is kinda fun but it doesn't feel the same as pure Mech matches.

Besides, MWO follows the tabletop rules closely, which would make ground vehicles (at least) rather worthless. Of course this can change.
IIRC, i read that non-mechs were originally good (to the point of people not using mechs) but to keep the focus on vehicles, the rules were changed. Apparently something to do with critical hits against vehicles being easy, i've read of a custom "moving bunker" desing that is incredibly heavily armored (far more than 100 ton mech can have) but it is worthless because a critical hit can destroy it right away, even if the armor is undamaged.

Most likely not as realistically they would have to completely go against the fluff to add in combined arms in a playable state. Most tanks and such just can't compete against a Battlemech and generally have to play support roles in large numbers to be of any effectiveness. Battle armors have to attack in squads together to be ofreal threat to a battle mech and even then they are not often taking out a mech alone

epmode

After all of my complaining about the Founder's stuff, I went a little crazy and bought in. Nic is epmode.

Outside of MechWarrior 2 (which I LOVE) and the XBox games, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the property.

Woorloog

Banned
Most likely not as realistically they would have to completely go against the fluff to add in combined arms in a playable state. Most tanks and such just can't compete against a Battlemech and generally have to play support roles in large numbers to be of any effectiveness. Battle armors have to attack in squads together to be ofreal threat to a battle mech and even then they are not often taking out a mech alone

They cannot compete against mechs because the rules say so... As i noted, originally tanks were good in the table top game, as far as know.

Tanks can beat mechs with numerical superiority though, you can get multiple Vedettes for a price of one mech... You can get 8 Vedettes for a price of one Catapult (Vedette is about 750k C-Bills, Catapult is about 5 800 000 C-Bills).

Demolisher II is relatively cheap for its armament and tonnage (7.5 million for 100 ton vehicle, cheaper than the Catapult)) and it can eat many mechs for dinner without larger problems. Well, seemingly anyway, if not for the damn rules...

They cannot compete against mechs because the rules say so... As i noted, originally tanks were good in the table top game, as far as know.

Tanks can beat mechs with numerical superiority though, you can get multiple Vedettes for a price of one mech... You can get 8 Vedettes for a price of one Catapult (Vedette is about 750k C-Bills, Catapult is about 5 800 000 C-Bills).

Demolisher II is relatively cheap for its armament and tonnage (7.5 million for 100 ton vehicle, cheaper than the Catapult)) and it can eat many mechs for dinner without larger problems. Well, seemingly anyway, if not for the damn rules...

Yea well thats what I basically mean. Non mechs generally have to work in groups to be competitive against battlemechs, which is something that would not translate to a game like this. Your not going to have 8 players in tanks working together to bring down one mech, or have players in aerotech working together as a squadron. It's not just rules of the tabletop, but how it's presented in the fluff as well.

Only some of the super heavy tanks could potentially compete with mechs but that was on pure firepower, as mechs still dominated due to mobility, while also the heavier vehicles require multi person crews unlike single pilot mechs. A game a scale of MWO doesn't properly allow for the use of said vehicles either which often have to assume distant support roles, which wouldn't be very fun either. Combined arms of MW Legends played loose with the combined arms aspect by greatly increasing the power of non battlemechs.

After all of my complaining about the Founder's stuff, I went a little crazy and bought in. Nic is epmode.

Outside of MechWarrior 2 (which I LOVE) and the XBox games, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the property.

If you get tired of only playing online matches then MW4 Mercs could be a nice distraction.
Graphics are a little dates but it still holds up nicely otherwise. The free release from mektek with a crazy amount of new mechs and stuff is really fun to play around with.

BAs are extremly overpowered in rules - especially clan elementals - as they are insane as crit seekers once you open enemy armor with big guns from mechs.

Also tanks can be great if used as combined arms (and as long as you stay away from uber expensive one) even with new crit rules.

Well anyway I'm glad tanks are away from this game as i remember they only added cheese and power gaming to tabletop games.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mw4 Mercs was pretty great. Completely different feel in the game though. Mechs were a lot less durable than on MWO. I remember taking out Daishis with two alpha strikes.

Woorloog

Banned
If you get tired of only playing online matches then MW4 Mercs could be a nice distraction.
Graphics are a little dates but it still holds up nicely otherwise. The free release from mektek with a crazy amount of new mechs and stuff is really fun to play around with.

New mechs are fun. That's about it.
Multiplayer is awful in MW4 series really. Jump sniping, alpha strikes... and most servers run NHUA rules. Fuck that. At least they used to be NHUA when i played some years ago.
NetBattleTech mod was cool, more like simulator than standard MW4Mercs (with MekPaks or not) but no one ran '25 or '50 servers, it was always about '67 and new tech etc.

Limitations make games more interesting. Which is why i really love the idea of MWO being set in '49. Not so keen on advancing tech, outside additional mechs.

Really wondering how MWO will handle the Clans, Clan tech is clearly OP if tabletop rules are followed. High cost is an obvious way to limit it but i wonder if it is enough; a rich, good player can afford that tech and keep winning even more.

Bizazedo

Really wondering how MWO will handle the Clans, Clan tech is clearly OP if tabletop rules are followed. High cost is an obvious way to limit it but i wonder if it is enough; a rich, good player can afford that tech and keep winning even more.

Well, it is a "F2P" game :).

Although, you can still gain C-bills, so who knows.

New mechs are fun. That's about it.
Multiplayer is awful in MW4 series really. Jump sniping, alpha strikes... and most servers run NHUA rules. Fuck that. At least they used to be NHUA when i played some years ago.
NetBattleTech mod was cool, more like simulator than standard MW4Mercs (with MekPaks or not) but no one ran '25 or '50 servers, it was always about '67 and new tech etc.

Limitations make games more interesting. Which is why i really love the idea of MWO being set in '49. Not so keen on advancing tech, outside additional mechs.

True, heavy costs associated with clan stuff would probably be ideal, but unlike tabletop you don't have a point build that kept league stuff competitive.

Likely they will have to bend the fluff for the clan stuff as to not be so over powered, with only little advantage at best along with higher costs attached to the mechs. They will also have to move timeline ahead quicker as to introduce improvements to the league armories.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, it is a "F2P" game :).

Although, you can still gain C-bills, so who knows.

Rich in-game.

If it were up to me, players wouldn't usually even have access to Clan mechs or tech. Obtaining them would mean beating a developer/developer sponsored player in a duel or something like that and Clan mechs wouldn't be repairable, though damaged weapons could be replaced with IS counterparts.

If you used battle value in tabletop then clan tech wasn't so overpowered anymore - when one clan medium had to face two 90 tons assaults :D

Woorloog

Banned
If you used battle value in tabletop then clan tech wasn't so overpowered anymore - when one clan medium had to face two 90 tons assaults :D

I always forget the existence of Battle Value system.

But it is not applicable to MWO, games will be 12v12.
Isn't tonnage a big thing for balancing teams ATM?

iirate

I'd like to see a game that combined MWO sim aspects with other gameplay styles to create a combined arms style game. You could give infantry and vehicle pilots multiple units and an interface similar to a RTS's.

I know it probably will never happen, but I first got into the Mechwarrior universe through Mechwarrior: Dark Age, which was probably the most combined arms interpretation of Mechwarrior ever, and was a huge part of the appeal for me. I'd love to see mechs alongside battle armor, traditional infantry units, and a HUGE variety of vehicles (tanks, scout units, artillery, VTOLS) once again.

Even with tonnage players will still be loading up on the clan stuff and those who don't will feel left in the dark.

I don't see anyway for them to add it to the game without making them not reflect exactly the the table top interpretations.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd like to see a game that combined MWO sim aspects with other gameplay styles to create a combined arms style game. You could give infantry and vehicle pilots multiple units and an interface similar to a RTS's.

I know it probably will never happen, but I first got into the Mechwarrior universe through Mechwarrior: Dark Age, which was probably the most combined arms interpretation of Mechwarrior ever, and was a huge part of the appeal for me. I'd love to see mechs alongside battle armor, traditional infantry units, and a HUGE variety of vehicles (tanks, scout units, artillery, VTOLS) once again.

"Real time simulator tactical/strategic" game based on Mechwarrior?
Hmm.

EDIT oh yeah, i wonder where my DA/AoD units are, really liked the desings and the gameplay was quite fun. Too bad they cost so much... too bad no one i knew was interested in them. Too bad WizKids is dead.

Perhaps make the clans into some form of coop component with ai controlled units, like horde objective mode. Then players can earn clan equipment and after enough time and money also get their own expensive clan equipment.

Woorloog

Banned
Perhaps make the clans into some form of coop component with ai controlled units, like horde objective mode. Then players can earn clan equipment and after enough time and money also get their own expensive clan equipment.

Meh. I wanna challenge a clanner (not some damn weak-ass AI but a player) to a proper duel, beat him or her and take their mech as a prize, nothing less is satisfying that beating clanners in their own game.

Also, the proper term is survival mode, not horde mode. Fucking Gears of War changing the word...

iirate

"Real time simulator tactical/strategic" game based on Mechwarrior?
Hmm.

EDIT oh yeah, i wonder where my DA/AoD units are, really liked the desings and the gameplay was quite fun. Too bad they cost so much... too bad no one i knew was interested in them. Too bad WizKids is dead.

That game was my primary hobby for 2 or 3 years, until the 1st or 2nd AoD expansion, really. I was good, too - I'd typically walk away from a prerelease weekend with 3 tournament wins and 3 nationals invites. Unfortunately, after AoD, the game became more and more about mechs and that just wasn't as interesting of a direction IMO. It was a hell of a game though, and the best product WizKids ever released (and believe me, I played nearly all of them).

Top Bottom