• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "Little Big Planet is very cool"

The general manager of Microsoft's Game Developer Group stated: "I think they've definitely taken some concepts that we originated like Achievements, but I think they're pushing in a different direction and we've sort of fundamentally got two different approaches going on here."

"I think there is very much a vision that people see it and it looks cool but it's fundamentally separate from the games – or at least what they've shown so far. It's a cool world but it's like a little game by itself. Our approach is the other way around; it's that games are the center and that's the star of the show, that's what people buy the console for."

But even Microsoft can't resist Little Big Planet's wool-coated charm: "I think Little Big Planet is very cool," he said. "But I can't see a big portfolio of games at the moment that do this. I don't think there's a whole load to catch up."

Sorry if old

Kangu said:
Translation: We'll have our copy cat game ready to go by the time LBP releases.
Good. Games need more level editors, damnit. I'd pick up a good game that features a level editor over a great game that doesn't any day.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Defuser said:
Microsoft rejected media molecule proposition because they're ignorant like they did with GTA III....

And Heavenly Sword, I wouldn't doubt it, they are clueless at times.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Agent Icebeezy said:
And Heavenly Sword, I wouldn't doubt it, they are clueless at times.
Well to be fair, after Kung-Fu Chaos, would you be interested in the studios next game?

Gek54

Defuser said:
Microsoft rejected media molecule proposition because they're ignorant like they did with GTA III....

MS and SCEA both need slap for turning down such good games.

Defuser

nelsonroyale said:
on here...? No so much. Check the sony is copying live and sony is copying motion control posts...so yeah, its a no

peace
More like:as long it is Sony who screws up then it is a big thing to bitch about.

temp

posting on contract only
This message brought to you by Microsoft spokesperson Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Ike said:
Damn straight it's cool. It's far more accessible than XNA

Maybe I don't get LittleBigPlanet completely, but isn't it a little strange to be comparing it to XNA at _all_? I mean, one (seems to be) a level builder in a platform game based around a physics engine with some loose rules, the other is a toolset for coding and developing wholly unique games to your designs.

You don't exactly look at the level builder in Mega Man: Powered Up, and say, "Well, that's FAR more accessible than coding a game in XNA!" and have that mean much. True, LBP is more open-themed and extensible than MM:pU or much of anything else with a level builder we're used to, but it's mainly about making neat physics-based levels in a platformer engine, isn't it? You're not going to be able to make an RTS or an RPG or much of anything outside of a platformer level in it, are you? And only with the tools you're given, as opposed to the things you create.

So why are the two even being paralleled and compared?

xaosslug

Wii said:
LBP is a game I'd expect to see on XBX360 instead of PS3.
yeah, home as well. Next-gen.biz went into this somewhat, how MS talked the talk about community, user created content, and along came Sony to realise it.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Kulock said:
Maybe I don't get LittleBigPlanet completely, but isn't it a little strange to be comparing it to XNA at _all_? I mean, one (seems to be) a level builder in a platform game based around a physics engine with some loose rules, the other is a toolset for coding and developing wholly unique games to your designs.

You don't exactly look at the level builder in Mega Man: Powered Up, and say, "Well, that's FAR more accessible than coding a game in XNA!" and have that mean much. True, LBP is more open-themed and extensible than MM:pU or much of anything else with a level builder we're used to, but it's mainly about making neat physics-based levels in a platformer engine, isn't it? You're not going to be able to make an RTS or an RPG or much of anything outside of a platformer level in it, are you? And only with the tools you're given, as opposed to the things you create.

So why are the two even being paralleled and compared?
They are both being compare because they are game creators that look high quality. And the reason that LPB is looking more accessible is the ability to do this with a partner for an almost endless game.

Wollan

Wii said:

I don't really agree here. Sony has a long history of experimental software. Vib Ribbon, Parappa, Central Station, EQOA, SingStar, EyeToy..etc.

Yoboman

I guess it doesn't look as much of a weak smear if you leave half the quote out :lol

Chris Satchell, general manager of Microsoft's Game Developer Group, dismissed it to CVG, saying it was "not a very game-centric approach."

"I think they've definitely taken some concepts that we originated like achievements, but I think they're pushing in a different direction and we've sort of fundamentally got two different approaches going on here. I think theres is very much a vision that people see it and it looks cool but it's fundamentally separate from the games - or at least what they've shown so far," Satchell continued. "It's a cool world but it's like a little game by itself. Our approach is the other way around; it's that games are the center and that's the star of the show, that's what people buy the console for."

On the user-created content front, which seems primary in Sony's initiatives, Satchell says that Forza Motorsport 2 will offer gamers a lot of options. "You're able to take a car out, completely paint it, completely mod it, tune it and you're able to auction it online, take the funds from that and reimburse them in the game to do whatever you want," he details. "That's great user-generated content. It's not building a world but if you're into racing games it's just as meaningful."

Still, Satchell likes LittleBigPlanet's unique offerings. "I think LittleBigPlanet is very cool," he commented. "But I can't see a big portfolio of games at the moment that do this. I don't think there's a whole load to catch up."

Wii said:

na you are wrong, maybe you meant to say Wii?

this is a typical nintendo game

but I do not see this game and other upcoming copycats sell anymore PS3´s,360´s or r wii´s

Yoboman said:
I guess it doesn't look as much of a weak smear if you leave half the quote out :lol

But thats not a smear either, its the truth. MS is about what you do inside games, and home is about what you do outside. I don`t really see how anyone could argue differently

GhaleonEB

Yoboman said:
Weak smear? What did the extended quote add, other than to point out that user-created content is coming to Forza? His point was, MS is doing innovative stuff in a similar space. Of course he's going to mention that - it's his job. He's very respectful of Sony's approach and in particular to LBP in that quote. You guys are really reaching for a way to turn this nasty and it's just sad.

Yoboman

The Innocent X said:
Weak smear? What did the extended quote add, other than to point out that user-created content is coming to Forza? His point was, MS is doing innovative stuff in a similar space. Of course he's going to mention that - it's his job. He's very respectful of Sony's approach and in particular to LBP in that quote. You guys are really reaching for a way to turn this nasty and it's just sad.
You're right, I shouldn't be so negative :) I just don't think car customisation is comparable to Home and LBP, it seemed like he was making a "we did/showed it first" argument out of nothing substantial.

GhaleonEB

Yoboman said:
You're right, I shouldn't be so negative :) I just don't think car customisation is comparable to Home and LBP, it seemed like he was making a "we did/showed it first" argument out of nothing substantial.
I think he was just saying that MS is also doing user-created content. At the same time he caveatted -

It's not building a world but if you're into racing games it's just as meaningful.
I think he knows it's not on the same level as what LBP is doing, he just wanted to point out that user-created stuff would be coming to 360 as well. It was a decent balance of spin and praise. Nothing to get inflamed about. :)

Who's the Innocent X?

squicken

I didn't read the whole mega thread, but I'm blown away that MS passed on LBP. I was thinking it was exactly the kind of game MS wished Rare would've created for MGS. And to be fair to J Allard, they did eventually approve of the GTA III deal, but by then it was too late.

BirdFlu

Banned
Note to devs: If you want MS to publish your new IP, make sure your previous efforts don't have the words 'Kung Fu' in them

J-Rzez

The Innocent X said:
But thats not a smear either, its the truth. MS is about what you do inside games, and home is about what you do outside. I don`t really see how anyone could argue differently

Well, to be fair, Sony also has their plans for "inside the game" stuff as well... Look no further than LbP, or even Singstar... Creating your own performances and throwing them online to be rated... I'm all about watching people make fools out of themselves, and hot girls shaken' it down singing their songs of choice... And this is a welcomed approach from MS and Sony, we need stuff like this... I'm a big car guy, the auto-auction is really cool on Forza, I'd hope some games you can actually design your own car, I'd like to do tracks as well, etc...

This MS guy needs to be promoted to doing the brunt of PR, it's much more positive and pleasing... Just like how Sony needs Harrison to do EVERYTHING...

Steroyd

Holy kilt someone from Microsoft praised what Sony are doing.

I'll put it in caps for emphasis.

HOLY KILT SOMEONE FROM MICROSOFT (that's spelt: em. eye. see. arr. oh. ess. oh. eff. tee.) PRAISED WHAT SONY ARE DOING.

I can't talk this information my head will explode.

Getouttahere.gif

Moz La Punk said:
Damn right MS, now where were YOUR surprises on GDC?

Who needs surprises when you have a game that's actually coming out before when the beaches are still open? Sony had the best show, without a doubt, but in terms of prolonging momentum, MS showed that the time betwixt now and August (a time in which we still will have seen no public arrival of anything Sony showed) is well taken care of with both really good first party software (Forza and Blue Dragon) and possibly the best game of the year, and without a doubt a AAA title:

MASS. EFFECT.

You need no surprises when an art team has designed armor that sick.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BenjaminBirdie said:
Who needs surprises when you have a game that's actually coming out before when the beaches are still open? Sony had the best show, without a doubt, but in terms of prolonging momentum, MS showed that the time betwixt now and August (a time in which we still will have seen no public arrival of anything Sony showed) is well taken care of with both really good first party software (Forza and Blue Dragon) and possibly the best game of the year, and without a doubt a AAA title:

MASS. EFFECT.

You need no surprises when an art team has designed armor that sick.

While GDC was devoid of surprising announcements from Microsoft, they showed that they have bolstered their lineup. Rolling Thunder rolls on.

Ike said:
Well to be fair, after Kung-Fu Chaos, would you be interested in the studios next game?

Why the hatred for Kung fu Chaos? It's by no means a bad game, especially considering it was the studio's first title. It's more likely that Ninja Theory would be dubious about working with MS as they did pretty much zero marketing for it.

Top Bottom