• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just don't think the company cares about putting on a show after E3 2012. who can blame them, they really showed Nintendo isn't on par with the showmanship that MS and Sony do. Nintendo probably figures they can deliver a coherent and timely message without all the awkwardness of a live stage presentation by having their online direct.

Maybe the hardware needs to be demoed in a "controlled" setting.

Nintendo not holding a live press conference has nothing to do with confidence.
It has everything to do with how Nintendo wants their message delivered.

This is what people don't get about what Nintendo is doing at E3.

I'm well aware of why they say they aren't doing a press conference. Fact of the matter is, their last conference really stunk up the joint when it was theirs to lose, and last year the E3 Nintendo Direct didn't have enough content to support a conference good enough to make up for it and they knew it. Holding a Direct over a conference has no benefits, it plays to a smaller audience, loses a lot of the fanfare, and is glossed over by a lot of the media.

Hexa

I want Nintendo to ride out the Wii U for 3-4 years until technology has evolved enough and then release a 3DS successor that has essentially Wii U pro internals but in a Vita like form factor.

Drakeon

If they were doing new hardware, they would have done a full press conference I figure.

Yeah, this was my first thought. Hard to see them doing this in 2014. I could see it happening in 2015 though, after Smash & whatever else is releasing in 2014 (Bayonetta? X? I honestly don't know) comes out.

joseotero

Neo Member
I'm not assuming his statement was confirmation of a new 3DS, Wii U, or some new console. He was just saying new hardware. That would be some sort of QoL device, or a new controller, or something totally different; it's not really relevant what the hardware is. It's the statement that hardware was called "absolute," but is now evidently not actually reliable.

It may well have been a conversation, and that's fine. However, the statement, "They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year," isn't an argument, and it certainly doesn't sound like there's any uncertainty in it. If you believe in context this still should have been understood as speculation, that's fine. However, it's difficult to imagine a more certain statement than, "They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year." I don't think you can blame people for taking a statement like that and running with it.

I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!"

Whoa, guys, more fuel for the fire! Check out these totally real Nintendo Fusion specs that were definitely leaked by a real Nintendo engineer onto Bubblews and not hastily drawn by me on a piece of notebook paper just now.

oUavtzo.jpg

Exciting stuff, can't wait to see how it all pans out at E3.

So THIS is what was in Reggie's folder!

Reggie-teases-big-plans-for-2014-e1386137742491.jpg

The pieces of the puzzle are finally falling into place .

Kimawolf

I wouldn't put it past them to release some kind of hybrid device. This is the company that thought it was a good idea to release a dual screened handheld, a virtual boy, a console with a remote control looking controller, and a handheld with a glassless 3d screen. We shouldn't act like they aren't capable of doing some off the wall shit.

eso76

Of course, that explains third parties abandoning the Wii U !
games are just being moved to Nintendo new console, the Wiii !

I want Nintendo to ride out the Wii U for 3-4 years until technology has evolved enough and then release a 3DS successor that has essentially Wii U pro internals but in a Vita like form factor.

There is no way they will keep the 3DS or the Wii U for another 3-4 years. Wii U might inch by 3, but 2016 seems like a smart year to replace it.

Kriken

Whoa, guys, more fuel for the fire! Check out these totally real Nintendo Fusion specs that were definitely leaked by a real Nintendo engineer onto Bubblews and not hastily drawn by me on a piece of notebook paper just now.

oUavtzo.jpg

ONLY 128GB? Not next gen enough, obvious fake

Pifje

Nintendo LifeBand:

- a wristband with health related properties such as pedometer, heart rate monitoring and etc.
- also detects motion
- connects to both Wii U and 3DS wirelessly
- user recognition via NFC with Wii U
- user data upload and analyzing through spesific new Wii U and 3DS QoL apps
- Wii Fitness QoL: Wii Fit for Wii U and 3DS assisted with LifeBand's motion "controls"

Just a random idea but, hey, who knows.

Joei

I doubt a new Wii U remodel. This is releasing just days before E3-

aIsYrK7.jpg

If there was gonna be a Wii U price drop or re design Nintendo would have never showed this all new MK8 bundle.

First, that MK8 package looks boss. I bought the Zelda HD bundle last year and have wanted every bundle that's followed instead of the one I bought, lol (which was the New Mario U package and the MK8 bundle). Still wish I would have waited another month and bought the MarioU bundle.

Second, the only new console or hardware I can think of would be some revision to the Wii U. Doubt they'd do anything to alter their handheld market since that's doing well. But it's hard to imagine a strong revision to the Wii U if they have the MK8 bundle releasing right before it. Would they do a tablet-less model? I dunno. I'm really stumped on what it could be. Maybe a Wii U with a smaller table controller. Nothing really fully utilizes it as it is.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
3DS Lite and 3DS Lite XL with smaller chips, better battery life and better screens.

....it also saves Nintendo a ton of money with production costs.

And yet they decide to not have a press conference for the second year in a row?
I don't understand how this can be true.

The only thing the guy seems sure about is that they'll have some sort of product on shelves in time for Christmas. I think he's expecting it to be shown at e3, but in reality it could be shown much later. (3DS XL was announced a few weeks after e3).

ec0ec0

People, please, remember. Theres not going to be a redesigned wiiu with a different "box" (the console) or without the gamepad. WHY!? Because nintendo has millions of unsold wiius... We know that since a lot ago.

(we didnt knew numbers, but we knew that the amount of cash that they had, and still have, in "inventory" was crazy)

I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!"

And that's great. I think everyone appreciates knowing the level of expectation they should actually have. I'll take rumors with a dash of salt over unreliable hype any day of the week. The update is appreciated.

gruenel

Here's what will happen:

Wii U rebranded to "Wii 2"

Nothing else changes

Casual gamers all over the world rejoice. "There's a new Wii?"

Sales increase tenfold

monlo

Wait, what? Isn't Peer Schneider one of the founders of IGN? or at least the boss? Why wouldn't his website report this if he think that "They are absolutely going to show new hardware this year" and that there is "there is no doubt in my mind".

Fishy.

Peer was founder of n64.com, which was bought by IGN in the latter part of the 90s. Source: I hated the merge and stopped reading very quickly

Jamix012

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U in one home console. Certain 3DS games released from here on out will have added bonuses when played on the Wii UDS, such as rendered at a higher resolution, widescreen for the bottom screen and local multiplayer.
Will launch in September with Majora's Mask 3D for $299. (please)

Shojx

Even if this is just a rumor and nothing more, it's enough to make me start thinking of the different possibilities. I don't think it's the "next" Nintendo console, it's just too early. The 3DS feels like it's in a good spot, so I don't think another revision is truly necessary just yet. As for the Wii U, I suppose a hardware revision of some sort is definitely possible... And then a number of people are mentioning the QoL platform...

Well, it's fun to speculate.

If true, I'm hoping it's something related to gaming rather than QoL, as my interest in Nintendo lies with games.

oUavtzo.

PLS GO

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
#CODENAME HAMMER, #CODENAME JUMPMAN, #CODENAME LADY, #CODENAME KONG, #CODENAME BARREL

It's happening!

svwjL5F.gif
svwjL5F.gif

http://i.imgur.com/oUavtzo.jpg[IMG]

Exciting stuff, can't wait to see how it all pans out at E3.[/QUOTE]

I am most interested in utilizing Tachyons for the purpose of controlling my Funson

ironcreed

Banned
The only reason I'd believe this could even possibly be a WiiU successor is because I know my luck, and it would be fucking hilarious if my re-refurbed refurb WiiU finally gets back to me from Nintendo right as they announce a new console.

I was originally going to wait until after E3, but the past few days I have been ready to bite on one as well. I was even thinking of doing it this weekend or so. Now I may just go ahead and wait.

RiggyRob

It'll be the 3DSi with the detachable controls, won't it?

Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone found that patent application and decided to try and put 2 and 2 together.

213372bu

Banned

oUavtzo.jpg

I love you, but you're missing the fact that the smartwatch runs holograms that stand on the face.

I've been wanting a bigger 3DS but the lack of a second pad on it has been keeping me from getting one. I'd be sold on a Monster Hunter 4 3DSXL+ bundle.

Wait, what? Isn't Peer Schneider one of the founders of IGN? or at least the boss? Why wouldn't his website report this if he think that "They are absolutely going to show new hardware this year" and that there is "there is no doubt in my mind".

Fishy.

He can be absolutely sure that some new product is going to be shown while waiting to see if he can get more information first.

Listening to the podcast, he seems confident of something, but without further info people are only going to get the wrong idea.

Banned
The market can not support individual Iterarions of each Nintendo franchise anymore. They simply can not develop two different Mario Karts every generation anymore. Especially when the console space is shrinking and getting closer to diminishing returns.

It makes sense to launch console and portable machines that play the same software. How big would the IPad / Apple TV market be if it required individual software skus for each.

It really should be a clear decision at this point. Especially with a new platform existing parallel.
Exactly. This is why it's important for Nintendo to unify handheld and console games that can be played by both devices (even if graphical fidelity is sacrificed). Much like the iPhone and iPad autonomy.

People, please, remember. Theres not going to be a redesigned wiiu with a different "box" (the console) or without the gamepad. WHY!? Because nintendo has millions of unsold wiius... We know that since a lot ago.

(we didnt knew numbers, but we knew that the amount of cash that they had, and still have, in "inventory" was crazy)

That's true.

Taker666

It won't be a Wii U follow up, it won't be a 3DS follow up...you're kidding yourselves if you think either of those things.

yo nintendo take the hint we want a price drop on wii u that's it. I know they never listen to fans though so we will probably get some wacky gimmick they think will attract casuals.

Anyone else think it's strange that this rumor would circulate the day after the announcement of the MK8 bundle and the free game promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom