• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they make a compact hatchback model down the line. I mostly just don't want to drive a large car in the city

I *love* driving my electric smart fortwo. The Fiat 500e is a fantastic electric car too. If you need something bigger than those, also look into the Bolt which is fairly compact.

I'm very interested to see how the Model 3 turns out, but I think I'm going to lease the next gen of electric smart come 2018 when my current lease runs out.

The 2016 Volt, which we own, we won't be replacing for at least 8 years, but when we do I really hope to replace it with a full electric that has a range starting with a 3, for no more than we paid for the Volt.

Nafai1123

Banned
Whats wrong with a hot hatch, its a small car what are you expecting?

Nothing wrong with hot hatches, but it being a smaller car does not mean it's a small car. The Model S is about the size of a 7 series. I expect the Model 3 to be the size of a 3 series (considering that's what they're competing against). They may have some sort of wagon variant but I would not expect it to be a hot hatch ala Focus RS/ST, GTI, etc.

For the people doing the fuel vs electricity maths, there's a calculator for the model S https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/calculator If the efficiency of the 3 is the same...

People saying "it's a small car" they're still aiming at a Series 3 range, right? If that's their target market for this model I feel the hatchback is unlikely.

The Model 3 is going to do more miles per kWh. It's going to need to be economically viable. So you're going to do better than any Model S calculations. As an ev, the model S is actually less economical than most others.

Nothing wrong with hot hatches, but it being a smaller car does not mean it's a small car. The Model S is about the size of a 7 series. I expect the Model 3 to be the size of a 3 series (considering that's what they're competing against). They may have some sort of wagon variant but I would not expect it to be a hot hatch ala Focus RS/ST, GTI, etc.

I wouldn't rule out the BMW i3 or Bolt form factor just yet. It makes a lot of sense for an EV to sit occupants more upright.

Bsigg12

The Model 3 is going to do more miles per kWh. It's going to need to be economically viable. So you're going to do better than any Model S calculations. As an ev, the model S is actually less economical than most others.

I wouldn't rule out the BMW i3 or Bolt form factor just yet. It makes a lot of sense for an EV to sit occupants more upright.

Why do you say that?

xptoxyz

Yeah, I'd expect it would have to, still S is a good worst case scenario at this point.

Apparently there's been talks of a crossover model that I've seemed to miss, as for the i3 that always seemed like a smaller car than their target to me, could happen though. I wouldn't put it past them to save the more efficient designs of other electric/hybrids that people generally consider uglier for an even more mass market model.

Why do you say that?

If you look at EVs you'll see that most do just that. Batteries are heavy, and you want to maximize performance, so you look to cut weight from elsewhere in the car. Keeping it's footprint as small as possible lets you do that. You make a car feel more spacious by making it a bit taller and sitting people more upright.

Furthermore, most mainstream buyers (who they're going for with this model) prefer to feel higher up, and again, sitting people more upright achieves that too.

The Model S doesn't focus on efficiency like the Model 3 is going to. It's going to be smaller and lighter in order to get away with the smallest and lightest possible battery to still hit 200 miles of range.

Nafai1123

Banned

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, but I think Tesla wants the range to be comparable to the Model S while still being performance oriented. For that reason I think they will want a larger battery than the bolt and will need a larger chassis.

Edit: I'd also add that if they want to compete against the 3 series, it needs to offer similar feel to a 3 series. Having a tall upright car goes against that philosophy.

mcfrank

When asked about an i3 on a conference call a while back, Musk laughed at it. I doubt that will be the model.

There have been a couple of shots of sculptures that could be it:

mmwoFiv.png

And there is one of Musk with a clay model in his garage I am trying to find.

EDIT - Found it

35e9bb857ab8d018fb5fda95c35f5e55.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, but I think Tesla wants the range to be comparable to the Model S while still being performance oriented. For that reason I think they will want a larger battery than the bolt and will need a larger chassis.

You think it'll have a larger pack than 60 kWh? I don't. I would be surprised if it did. I wouldn't be surprised if they were coming in with a smaller one.

When asked about an i3 on a conference call a while back, Musk laughed at it. I doubt that will be the model.

mmwoFiv.png

Well I'm not ruling out something like the Volt in size and lines either. I just wouldn't say 'no way' on something more like the Bolt or i3 (or Prius C, which is easily the best looking Prius).

mmwoFiv.png

EDIT - Found it

35e9bb857ab8d018fb5fda95c35f5e55.jpg
I don't think Musk as ever outright said it, but I'm pretty confident that Tesla's operating paradigm is to get people excited about EVs. That's why their very first car was a super high-end roadster, and its follow up was a high-end sports car. People look at those and see the potential of EVs--that they aren't just compact, efficient, "cute" vehicles like the i3 and current crop of hybrids. Get people hooked on the possibilities and then release a mass market vehicle to get them to switch.

I don't think Musk as ever outright said it, but I'm pretty confident that Tesla's operating paradigm is to get people excited about EVs. That's why their very first car was a super high-end roadster, and its follow up was a high-end sports car. People look at those and see the potential of EVs--that they aren't just compact, efficient, "cute" vehicles like the i3 and current crop of hybrids. Get people hooked on the possibilities and then release a mass market vehicle to get them to switch.
This. The thing that makes Tesla standout is the fact that not only are their EV cars efficient, they actually excel in the performance category and look great as well.

Really hoping the Model 3 doesn't look anything like a Bolt, BMW I3 or Leaf.

If it looks anything similar to an A4, 3 Series or Jaguar XE I'm on board.

mcfrank

I have free charging at work and 2 super chargers within 2 miles of me, so I anticipate being able to charge almost for free. With gas as low as it is, if you are paying for chargin a Prius is probably a better buy at this moment. However, gas won't stay low.

SpecX

Interesting. I might be in the market for a new car soon and was eyeballing the Volt. If this ends up being better, might have to seriously consider.

KillGore

Why would people think it'll be a hatchback? They're probably aiming at the American market 1st and European 2nd.

Also, I didn't realize some people thought paying a car for 5 years was being a slave.

Doodis

I really hope they aren't asking $5k for reservations. Seems a bit high for that price of a car. I hope to place a reservation as soon as they open them up, but I was hoping for $1k-$2k range.

I have free charging at work and 2 super chargers within 2 miles of me, so I anticipate being able to charge almost for free. With gas as low as it is, if you are paying for chargin a Prius is probably a better buy at this moment. However, gas won't stay low.
Free charging at work is such a great perk that I hope I don't lose any time soon. Right now its only 3 days a week, but it goes up to 4 next !month as my schedule changes.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Saw the model X in the wild the other day and ooo it looked nice.

how nice are we talking?

Wifey has tasked me with researching a SUV that we would purchase in about a year and half. We are also putting solar panels on our new house, so the thought of using a car for essentially free fuel wise, is very tempting to me.
And the thing about a lot of SUVs is they are all mostly 45-60+ thousand. So a Model X isn't that far off.

how nice are we talking?

Wifey has tasked me with researching a SUV that we would purchase in about a year and half. We are also putting solar panels on our new house, so the thought of using a car for essentially free fuel wise, is very tempting to me.
And the thing about a lot of SUVs is they are all mostly 45-60+ thousand. So a Model X isn't that far off.
I think any Model X you can get right now will be in the $110k range. There's supposed to be a $60-70k one coming later, but that's not available right now.

captive

I think any Model X you can get right now will be in the $110k range. There's supposed to be a $60-70k one coming later, but that's not available right now.

holy shit really? I thought they were supposed to be about the same price as the Model S?

The model x is very nice, albeit a bit smaller than I was expecting. It surely doesn't lack size in the interior though from the looks. It's about the size of a Land Rover sport and has most of the same features of the model s in terms of lines. The rear looks like something out of the toyota venza and model s having a baby. The windscreen on it is something of beauty and I wish more cars would feature a unibody window like it has.

As for the model 3 I hope it is just a smaller model s. I for one would love to own a EV, but the true barrier for entry will be access of energy and charging the vehicles. Apartments are taking their sweet ass time in getting recharge stations. It's definitely not an issue for homeowners though.

ascii42

Why would people think it'll be a hatchback? They're probably aiming at the American market 1st and European 2nd.

Also, I didn't realize some people thought paying a car for 5 years was being a slave.
I'm expecting a smaller Model S, with a similar styled hatch.

holy shit really? I thought they were supposed to be about the same price as the Model S?
Its base price is supposed to be just slightly higher than the base Model S's, but the problem is that the first batch Tesla released aren't base but fully loaded. Model X is also bigger than its picture implies--it's a full-size, 7-seater SUV. I was researching it myself last month, but I went with something else instead.

captive

Its base price is supposed to be just slightly higher than the base Model S's, but the problem is that the first batch Tesla released aren't base but fully loaded. Model X is also bigger than its picture implies--it's a full-size, 7-seater SUV. I was researching it myself last month, but I went with something else instead.

yea i see that now, we dont need ludicrous mode or anything like that. its crazy that the 90D to the 70D only adds ~30 miles of range.

We dont need four wheel drive either, so maybe in the next year they'll have a 70D 2 wheel drive. that is more reasonable*

*cause when your talking about 80k for a car, nothing is reasonable.

Am I missing something here, are they really taking deposits for a car that isn't available until a year and a half later (probably at the earliest)? Is that common in the auto industry? Feels more like a long shot kickstarter project to me. ;)

Am I missing something here, are they really taking deposits for a car that isn't available until a year and a half later (probably at the earliest)? Is that common in the auto industry? Feels more like a long shot kickstarter project to me. ;)
With high demand cars, for example take Ferrari's, you put on a deposit several months in advance. People can wait sometimes for months on factory builds of say, Fords. So, no not totally unusual.

It's a model they've used for all their launches I believe. It's worked well for them so far.

With high demand cars, for example take Ferrari's, you put on a deposit several months in advance. People can wait sometimes for months on factory builds of say, Fords. So, no not totally unusual.

I get Ferraris and the like, and I understand build queues for high demand cars, but these aren't even close to release yet. Just seems like people are asking to suck up meaningful delays after handing over their cash.

I get Ferraris and the like, and I understand build queues for high demand cars, but these aren't even close to release yet. Just seems like people are asking to suck up meaningful delays after handing over their cash.

If you put your money down on a Tesla and are then surprised by a substantial delay, you aren't smart with your money. But like I said, this method has worked well for them before.

I drive a full EV, and the wife drives a Volt. We aren't rich.

My monthly take home is about 3500.

If you don't mind sharing, what EV do you drive? A Leaf perhaps? What color is it and how happy are you with it?

Can't wait for this to come out. Hopefully it'll push the EV market forward like they've been saying it will, and hopefully they have plans for an even cheaper EV car to compete with something along the lines of a Corolla or Camry. The next few years are going to be really interesting for EVs I think. Can't wait to see what gets put out and how the market changes.

UrokeJoe

It's a fraction of a down payment on a Ferrari and it's buying into the belief of the future. There is a ton of tech in these cars and it shows. Some warts, but these cars have literally shown what is really possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom