• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
There's a rumor that Tesla is going for less than a .20 drag coefficient for the 3. That would rule out a hatchback. A similar style to the Model S liftback would be more likely.

Musk also said on their conference call for earnings earlier today that they weren't sure if they would reveal everything about the 3 on March 31st. Maybe hoping to keep some features a secret until the launch, like the X?

Ettie

I'm interested in EV's, and this car is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's still out of the reach of the everyday appliance commuter. My last new car cost 12.5k (2013), I wonder how far away we are from that kind of bargain basement pricing?

Anion

There's a rumor that Tesla is going for less than a .20 drag coefficient for the 3. That would rule out a hatchback. A similar style to the Model S liftback would be more likely.

Musk also said on their conference call for earnings earlier today that they weren't sure if they would reveal everything about the 3 on March 31st. Maybe hoping to keep some features a secret until the launch, like the X?
Wouldn't that make it the lowest drag coefficient for an affordable car? The last car to have that title was the CLA I believe with a 0.22, so that would be crazy

I probably would stay away from the 1st few years of it. The model S had some drivetrain issues with the first few stating it would last until 60K miles or so according to Jalopnik. This being a much cheaper car could mean more of that or so.

Here is the article btw
http://jalopnik.com/report-two-thirds-of-early-tesla-model-s-drivetrains-m-1747222846

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I'm interested in EV's, and this car is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's still out of the reach of the everyday appliance commuter. My last new car cost 12.5k (2013), I wonder how far away we are from that kind of bargain basement pricing?

Used Model 3's will certainly help. There are used Model S for around 50k regularly, now.

Wouldn't that make it the lowest drag coefficient for an affordable car? The last car to have that title was the CLA I believe with a 0.22, so that would be crazy

I probably would stay away from the 1st few years of it. The model S had some drivetrain issues with the first few stating it would last until 60K miles or so according to Jalopnik. This being a much cheaper car could mean more of that or so.

Here is the article btw
http://jalopnik.com/report-two-thirds-of-early-tesla-model-s-drivetrains-m-1747222846

Yeah, it would be the lowest by far for a mass production car. Model S and X are both 0.24.

Drive unit failures seem to be decreasing. Luckily Tesla will get much needed practice in all areas of manufacturing before the 3.

XUB1s4G.jpg

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/51595-Drive-unit-replacement-getting-better

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Highly interested. Of course, the number of charge-stations across Europe have to increase. As it stands right now, going on vacation with an EV is not an option; a 800 mile / 11 hour trip from Amsterdam to the south of France requires a 5 hour detour in order to hit chargers. And once your at your destination, there's no charger for your car.

TimFL

Highly interested. Of course, the number of charge-stations across Europe have to increase. As it stands right now, going on vacation with an EV is not an option; a 800 mile / 11 hour trip from Amsterdam to the south of France requires a 5 hour detour in order to hit chargers. And once your at your destination, there's no charger for your car.
I would love to buy a Tesla but it just wont work for me. There's one supercharger ~20 miles away and I live in the center of the city in a penthouse with no way to install a charging station.
Kind of depressing as I'm probably going to buy a new car in the next few months.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope the Model 3 gets the same windshield that the Model X got. Man, that thing is great.

edit - I do not see it coming out in 2017 though. Maybe Spring 2019, haha.

Nothing from the X that is expensive to make will be in the S. Large curved glass windshield? Nope. Stupidly oversized iPad glued to the dash? Thank god no.

Electric vehicles are expensive. This is a mass market version. Expectations need to be tempered. I'm particularly interested in what range it has and what power it produces. It could (and should) still be the best electric vehicle choice for many people, but people need to be realistic.

I don't think Musk as ever outright said it, but I'm pretty confident that Tesla's operating paradigm is to get people excited about EVs. That's why their very first car was a super high-end roadster, and its follow up was a high-end sports car. People look at those and see the potential of EVs--that they aren't just compact, efficient, "cute" vehicles like the i3 and current crop of hybrids. Get people hooked on the possibilities and then release a mass market vehicle to get them to switch.
Yeah, it was definitely a smart marketing technique. It allows a heightened brand that isn't really cheapened by ugly cars and since enough people have the Model S in a lot of major cities, people get to ooooo and aweeee at it until the mass market release. They basically have an Apple-like brand already and they haven't even aired their first ad. 2018-20 should be huge for them.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nothing from the X that is expensive to make will be in the S. Large curved glass windshield? Nope. Stupidly oversized iPad glued to the dash? Thank god no.

Electric vehicles are expensive. This is a mass market version. Expectations need to be tempered. I'm particularly interested in what range it has and what power it produces. It could (and should) still be the best electric vehicle choice for many people, but people need to be realistic.

The large windshield is also in the Citroen C4 Picasso, which is €25K
zIAR5nB.jpg

Drive unit failures seem to be decreasing. Luckily Tesla will get much needed practice in all areas of manufacturing before the 3.

It is actually hard to tell because the drive failures seem to be happening after about 30,000 kms and some people are onto their 3rd unit or more. So of course the number of failures plotted against Quarter of delivery is going to show a dramatic decrease because newer cars = less kilometres.

If you don't mind sharing, what EV do you drive? A Leaf perhaps? What color is it and how happy are you with it?

Can't wait for this to come out. Hopefully it'll push the EV market forward like they've been saying it will, and hopefully they have plans for an even cheaper EV car to compete with something along the lines of a Corolla or Camry. The next few years are going to be really interesting for EVs I think. Can't wait to see what gets put out and how the market changes.

I drive a 2016 smart fortwo ev. It's black with a red stripe. I love it. The smart isn't for everyone, no question, but I'd wanted one for ages. My commute to work is about 7 miles. Most everything you could need is within 11 miles. It's only got a short range, but it covers almost everything I ever need do, and the charging infrastructure around here is okay. Plus we have the Volt for long drives.

It's got two years left on its lease, and I expect to have a lot of options when that lease expires, but my gut feeling right now is that I'll lease another one, and then buy something after that more like a model 3 or a Bolt Ev or similar in about 5 years.

I'll never go back to a gasoline driven vehicle. EVs are clean, efficient, quiet and they have an incredibly smooth ride. The only downside they have over combustion engine cars is that they have smaller ranges and longer refueling times. That downside gets a bit smaller month after month.

from what i've heard from tech/car reporters
don't expect
200+ miles range
auto-pilot
all the sensors

expect
150-170 mile range

It's going to be 200+. Even if all the studies weren't suggesting 200+ is the magic number, the Bolt will be 200+ in the same price range *this year* and the Leaf will be there by 2018. Probably some others too. Tesla have always said 200. Battery chemistry and per kilowatt hour costs are reaching the point where it's feasible to make a car around that cost with a 200 mile range this year. Anything under 200 would be dead in the water and Tesla have always maintained that the model 3 will be 200 plus. Sensors plus autopilot certainly won't be standard, but I can't see why they wouldn't be an option.

nillah

Banned
Do these Tesla cars have energy absorbing sun panels planted on top? I feel like that's a miss opportunity by automakers being we do live in a solar system with a star that rages energy like no other

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Do these Tesla cars have energy absorbing sun panels planted on top? I feel like that's a miss opportunity by automakers being we do live in a solar system with a star that rages energy like no other

There was a Hyundai concept years ago with solar panels mounted on the roof, but there were safety issues, costs were pretty high, and the actual benefit was pretty low (IIRC the solar panels offered an extra 10 miles on a 100 mile trip on average), so they were deemed unviable for the moment.

Kiko

I live less than a mile away from a supercharger (Germany). All those Model S coming through. They look pretty cool.
I am tempted to get a Tesla EV sometime but in Germany the infrastructure is not efficient enough unfortunately. But it will change as soon as the mass market buys those cars.

Maedre

Banned
I live less than a mile away from a supercharger (Germany). All those Model S coming through. They look pretty cool.
I am tempted to get a Tesla EV sometime but in Germany the infrastructure is not efficient enough unfortunately. But it will change as soon as the mass market buys those cars.

I know what you mean. I am very often at Connys Diner in Bergkamen and thats the only Supercharger in a 100km radius. The Model is a really good looking car. Its now all about a better infrstructure. Every bigger city (50.000+) needs a minimum of one supercharger station before i would jump on the train.

We will be able to afford one in time.

It's nice to dream.

Maybe I'll shoot for a used one in five years or something. I'm just in that spot where I'll probably buy a new car this year, so I wish I didn't have to wait. Because I don't think my current car will last until I can get a Tesla.

daveo42

Banned
I'd love to be able to afford a Tesla. Might need to wait a few years before going electric. Maybe by then I'll be able to get a self-driving electric instead.

Morts

I'm really excited about Tesla going forward, but I don't know about putting a deposit on a car 18 months (or more) ahead of time. Maybe I'll regret that stance when you guys are all posting yours in the pick-up thread.

Odinson

I've been waiting on this reveal for quite some time. I'm happy to hear about the $1000 deposit as well. I'm hoping that the model 3 will be my next car. I'm keeping my eye on the Hyundai Ioniq as well. The bolt doesn't really grab my attention but I'll still test drive it and see it in person to get a better feel for it. The one thing that bothers me about the other car makers is having a dedicated charging infrastructure. There are a couple of Tesla superchargers near me but other EV makers don't seem to be so concerned with building out a better infrastructure than whats already in place. Guess it will come with having more EV's in the wild.

dorn.

Can anyone here give a roundabout estimate how much the hardware for autonomous driving adds to the BOM? I understand it's probably necessary to not have it standard in order to get the entry price as low as possible, but I'd still be bummed out if a 2018 Tesla came without it.

Can anyone here give a roundabout estimate how much the hardware for autonomous driving adds to the BOM? I understand it's probably necessary to not have it standard in order to get the entry price as low as possible, but I'd still be bummed out if a 2018 Tesla came without it.

Anywhere from $1000-$5000 depending on the tech.

mcfrank

The hardware comes on all model s units and it is 3k to unlock it.

gwarm01

I've been awaiting this reveal for a few years now. Very happy to see the reservation is only $1000, I was expecting 3k or more.

It'll be interesting to see how much it costs once it's fully loaded. This will easily be the most expensive car I've purchased to date, considering I anyways go with used cars.

Anyone know if you can get your reservation back? You never know, the car could turn out to be a mess by the time production hits.

Anyone know if you can get your reservation back? You never know, the car could turn out to be a mess by the time production hits.

Yes, you get your money back if you cancel your reservation. I don't know if I'll end up buying one (I barely drive anywhere), but I can afford the cost of reserving a spot to see if I want one.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Would rule out a flat hatchback but A7, Citroen, Model S style "fastback" is still a hatchback.

I'm very interested. I currently have a BMW i3 and will be looking for a new car around that time. I understand it won't be super luxurious, but I hope that there are higher-end trims available that have the Autopilot functions.

Yes, you get your money back if you cancel your reservation. I don't know if I'll end up buying one (I barely drive anywhere), but I can afford the cost of reserving a spot to see if I want one.

I'd be tempted if we weren't hoping to enter into a mortgage soon. My lease is up Feb 2018 and that's probably a realistic time frame to expect delivery on a bare bones model 3... but it's still a gamble I'm not going to take right now when I'm trying to get together a downpayment on a house. I'm still super excited to see it though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are teslas actually good cars? Reliable, good to drive etc? I suppose that might be tricky to predict for the mainstream model as the current ones are higher end sporty cars.

darscot

Are teslas actually good cars? Reliable, good to drive etc? I suppose that might be tricky to predict for the mainstream model as the current ones are higher end sporty cars.

Have you ever looked at one? They are basically just the best of all cars, stylish, functional, sporty and then the blow the doors of most things on the road.

Really good cars to drive for numerous reasons (technology, smoothness of EV, quietness, etc), however Consumer Reports has been shitting on Tesla pretty hard for the last year over reliability issues with the Model S. There are a lot of articles to read on the subject.

Not sure where you're going in the south of France that doesn't have a supercharger or Level 2 charging nearby:

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/65,55,34,-11?search=supercharger&name=europe

That's just the super chargers. There's loads of level 2 chargers presuming that you can't find somewhere to plug in at your hotel or campsite.

I also see 11 superchargers along the route google maps recommends taking from Amsterdam to Marseille.

I'd happily stop 4 or 5 times en route for half an hour and save hundreds of Euros on gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom