• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morts

I'm prepared to see 35k for basic model with nothing cool in it

and upwards of 50k if you want it to have decent features.

This is what I'm bracing for. I can maybe justify ~$30k after tax incentives, but not if it's going to be bare bones. Basically I'm trying not to get excited until I actually see what they have to announce (and get a feel for how likely it is to actually come out in 2017).

n0razi

If the $1100 rumors are true, im putting down a pre-order. Tax incentives and savings on gas will bring the price down to the mid 20's and if the self driving thing gets ironed out, thats a priceless feature IMHO

Robot Pants

Enlighten me cause I haven't had to buy a new car since I was like 18, now it's time again and 35k for a electric car is sounding pretty awesome.

However I live in an apartment. Is there just no way to feasibly own one of these in that situation? How can I charge it?
Oh I do have a garage in my place but its shared with everyone else in the building (like 6 other people)

iavi

Enlighten me cause I haven't had to buy a new car since I was like 18, now it's time again and 35k for a electric car is sounding pretty awesome.

However I live in an apartment. Is there just no way to feasibly own one of these in that situation? How can I charge it?

This is my situation as well: I could afford the car at 35k, but live in an apartment where owning an EV isn't realistic--Even being in northern California where EV chargers in parking lots are plentiful, it's not owning a garage where you can get a consistent charge every night.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

Oh I do have a garage in my place but its shared with everyone else in the building (like 6 other people)

You could ask the landlord if they'd be willing to install a 240v outlet in the garage. It would be a good move for new tenants in the future, too.

Wreav

Banned
No one should be preordering or buying a Model 3 based on some baseless assumption that a firmware update will turn it into a self driving car.

cube444

I've read where we will see three versions of the Model 3. One to go up against the BMW 320i, one against the 335ix and lastly, one against the M3.
Each one would obviously be priced differently with corresponding power trains, luxuries, etc.

gwarm01

I've read where we will see three versions of the Model 3. One to go up against the BMW 320i, one against the 335ix and lastly, one against the M3.
Each one would obviously be priced differently with corresponding power trains, luxuries, etc.

Where did you read this? I don't think there has been any official word on what we'll see, but it is supposed to compete with the 3 series and be sized like the A4.

IKizzLE

Where did you read this? I don't think there has been any official word on what we'll see, but it is supposed to compete with the 3 series and be sized like the A4.
Heard the same from the tesla store manager in santa monica. They have frequent chats with Elon.

RBH

OFFICIAL TESLA TWEET!!!!

https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/709865605101301760

UeICt1Q.jpg

That silhouette pleases me if it correlates to the real thing.

toohectic

Hopefully this will be my new car. I'm planning on going to the local showroom to put down a reservation on Thursday morning. Hopefully it's not too packed since I don't intend to get there ridiculously early. It's a refundable $1K, so I figure there isn't much to lose making a reservation prior to reveal. I wonder what the reservation process is like. Anyone know what is required?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Hopefully this will be my new car. I'm planning on going to the local showroom to put down a reservation on Thursday morning. Hopefully it's not too packed since I don't intend to get there ridiculously early. It's a refundable $1K, so I figure there isn't much to lose making a reservation prior to reveal. I wonder what the reservation process is like. Anyone know what is required?

There's speculation that people will reserve using a Tesla account. You can go to their website and create one here: https://www.teslamotors.com/user/login

The only thing you must have is a way to pay; credit/debit card, paypal, or checking account number.

Anyone else surprised about the lack of media hype Model 3 has generated so far? We're 1 day away from the reveal and nobody is really talking about it.

Tesla marketing kinda dropped the ball on this one.

That being said, I'm super interested to see what feature and price point this car has.

rokkerkory

Anyone else surprised about the lack of media hype Model 3 has generated so far? We're 1 day away from the reveal and nobody is really talking about it.

That being said, I'm super interested to see what feature and price point this car has.

There really isn't anything to market the concept is way behind schedule and project is almost in shambles. They didnt really know what it would look like until just weeks ago.

Tesla is a mess right now.

Zaph

If this is a reasonably sized city car and available in the UK, I'm definitely in. Really love the Tesla's, but they're just too big for London.

gutshot

There really isn't anything to market the concept is way behind schedule and project is almost in shambles. They didnt really know what it would look like until just weeks ago.

Tesla is a mess right now.

You got some inside info or something? I haven't heard anything about this.

Anyway, the hype will begin to build once the official reveal happens tomorrow. We're still a year+ away from it actually being delivered to customers, still plenty of time to hype it up.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm super excited to see what the Model 3 turns out to be, but I decided to not wait for it and bought myself a new Subaru Crosstrek instead last fall. I do see myself getting a Model 3 (or some other quality EV) down the road, but not just yet for three main reasons:

1. I want to allow time for the tech to mature and the kinks to be worked out first
2. I'd like for there to be more charging station options in my area. There will be eventually, but it ain't there yet
3. I want to install solar panels at my house first, I see that as a better investment personally and having panels would make owning an EV even more rewarding

So yeah, I'll be a customer soon enough, but not just yet. Looking forward to test driving a Model 3 though, as it will most likely be the next car I own.

You got some inside info or something? I haven't heard anything about this.

Anyway, the hype will begin to build once the official reveal happens tomorrow. We're still a year+ away from it actually being delivered to customers, still plenty of time to hype it up.
There was a report in January that said Tesla hadn't finalized the design of the Model 3. That doesn't mean Tesla is in shambles. That poster is talking nonsense.

As a young professional that never had a car I am interested in seeing Model 3. I'm not expecting to buy a car until 5 more years and by then I hope that electric cars will be easier to manage (charging spots in public and within most condos/apartments community). The price point sounds great, but hopefully the design is just as good as Model S.

There was a report in January that said Tesla hadn't finalized the design of the Model 3. That doesn't mean Tesla is in shambles. That poster is talking nonsense.

So in january they didnt have a finalized design for a car that they would reveal in march?

Thats really not a good sign.

subrock

I get the opposite impression. Seems like they are doing a great job of marketing. Hell the Vancouver store even already has 4 people in line waiting to reserve.

edit: it should also be noted that Tesla doesn't run ads. Basically all of their buzz is generated from social media, magazine articles and word of mouth.

Bsigg12

Stopping by the Tesla store tomorrow morning to reserve mine. I know it'll ultimately be like 18-24 months out but that's ok.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I was fully prepared to throw down money at the Tesla service center in my city tomorrow but I think I'll wait a bit longer and order online. The whole point of ordering early was in hopes of grabbing a first wave delivery, but from the sounds of the reservation agreement the cars will slowly be shipped starting from the west coast then heading east.

Tesla can show you the location of all of their quick charging stations in your city.

Also, do you live near a Whole Foods?

Otherwise, yeah, an extension chord for the garage is your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom