• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as its prettier than the new Maxima or Civic, I'll be happy. Seriously, these are ugllier than most American cars.

2016_nissan_maxima_sl-pic-7354895796823195404-640x480.jpeg

635808625258405919-civic9.jpg

? New accords look awesome to me?

I kind of agree with him, though. You can see absolutely shit loads of BMWs and Audis where I live. I recently saw six BMWs in a row. That view alone could make me spend my money somewhere else, to something more unique. Strangely enough, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz are something I don't see even nearly as often.
I don't think there's a single feature that differentiates two cars more than one being pure electric and one using fuel. But how often you run into one on the highway is what you base your decision on?

GTI Guy

Just going off their Aussie FB post. Our reservations and showrooms open up today, being the 31st. Though the actual Model unveil isn't occurring today, as I understand it.

Else it'd be an unfortunate April Fools' launch for us, if aligned with US.

Yep, preorders are up and running for current Tesla owners, doors are open. Now just waiting to see the damn thing, hurry up US.

Interesting. This is all screwy.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Where are they gonna fit 80kwh of batteries in a car smaller than the s and x?

The 3 is the first Tesla model to use batteries from the gigafactory. They will be using a newer chemistry/battery pack. So the pack should have better energy density than the S and X.

Jonm1010

Banned
? New accords look awesome to me?

The 2016 Accords ruined the semi BMW aesthetic they started with the model change IMO. At least the 4 doors. The zig-zag rims are hideous IMO and the touring upgraded ones aren't much better.

As someone currently in the market for a new vehicle, the sub $35,000 industry seems to be in a weird place right now.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/30/elon-musk-says-this-is-part-1-of-the-tesla-model-3-reveal/

Elon Musk tweeted a pic of the Model 3 pre-order line down under where it's already March 31st, while the rest of us get ready for the company's LA event tomorrow night at 11:30PM ET. Of course we'll be on hand for what he says is just "part 1 of the Model 3 unveil," with a part 2 scheduled for closer to its production in late 2017. In yet another tweet, Musk promised a follower we will "see the car very clearly, but some important elements will be added and some will evolve."

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715309739752747009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

rinse82

How long does the in store preorder process take? Anyone know?

I'm thinking of stopping by the tesla store in Toronto before work; understand there's already a line that's at least 30 deep.

If they're just taking down some key contact info and getting $1,000 from us, hoping it's not too long.

Keyouta

I wish I could buy one but the closest supercharger is 400 miles away from where I live. Still excited to see the unveiling and specs of this car though.

Question, I heard there's preference for existing Tesla owners. Can I, as a non-Tesla owner, walk down to Tesla today and order it without any implications?

I dont think you can order today, especially since the car hasn't been revealed and options list hasn't been set.

Sounds like you put $1000 down to be one of the first that can order when the configurator is available. When that is, who knows.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Meanwhile, GM is preparing their Orion Township plant for production on the Chevrolet Bolt EV, and the media doesn't give a shit because it isn't Elon Musk promising the world.

Oh, wait, that's because GM also builds cars that run off of fossil fuels.

I'm still amazed that people would wait an extra year and change when the Bolt EV comes out this year.

To be fair, the Bolt's styling is a bit more love/hate than Tesla cars. This is coming from someone who drives a Volt.

I would be first in line for the Model 3, but I'm still weary about going battery only. I love my Volt's serial hybrid configuration and I feel safe going on long trips with my Volt, I wish Tesla made a car similar to that.

Meanwhile, GM is preparing their Orion Township plant for production on the Chevrolet Bolt EV, and the media doesn't give a shit because it isn't Elon Musk promising the world.

I'm still amazed that people would wait an extra year and change when the Bolt EV comes out this year.

Different car owners with different preferences, I suppose. Volt is a hatchback, and Model 3 hasn't been unveiled yet. Anything that's not unveiled will be focused on so when it is, people can compare it with competitors like Volt. Plus, Tesla has proven track record and satisfied customer with great warranty packages.

In due time, I suppose.

Awesome! I may drop by to Tesla today with my dad. His car is almost dead, and by the time it dies, this will hopefully exist.

Cheerilee

I'm still amazed that Chevy's making an electric car, seeing as how literally the day before they unveiled the Bolt, they were running ads on TV saying that electric cars were shit and that they trap you on the side of the highway, unlike good old reliable fossil fuels that have refueling stations everywhere.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm not wrong, though. GM has a year-plus long head start. They have the car in preproduction and are ready to go with a rumored job one deadline for October.

Tesla hasn't shown anything yet.

Let me stop you right there...

CekDdaxUMAABuVu.jpg

The Bolt is a 30K after taxbenefits hatchback, the Model 3 is a 30K before taxbenefits sedan. They're like, totally different cars that have NOTHING in common, apart from the price-range and being an EV.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The Bolt is a 30K after taxbenefits hatchback, the Model 3 is a 30K before taxbenefits sedan. They're like, totally different cars that have NOTHING in common, apart from the price-range and being an EV.

No, the Model 3 and Bolt will both start at about $35k before incentives. They're both going after the exact same market, except Bolt arrives late this year and Model 3 is at least a year later.

What we don't know yet is details of the Model 3's appearance, performance, or options. Until we get that all we can compare is what we do know -- expected range and expected pre-incentive price, which are pretty much identical.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We pre-ordering cars now?

Does Best Buy offer exclusive leather seats and gold dashboard trim with all day one preorders?

strata8

Tesla already has significant prestige - they have a history of building innovative high-performance electric vehicles. GM doesn't - their EV history consists of the Volt. So it's hardly surprising that Model 3 is more highly anticipated than the Bolt.

There's also infrastructure to consider... does GM have the equivalent of Tesla's supercharger network for example? Not much point in a 200 mile EV if you can't get anywhere once the range is reached.

There's also infrastructure to consider... does GM have the equivalent of Tesla's supercharger network for example? Not much point in a 200 mile EV if you can't get anywhere once the range is reached.

Technically, they already far exceed Tesla.

Tesla uses a proprietary charging cable/technology.

The Bolt will use existing chargers, including fast-chargers that are the equivalent of Tesla's superchargers.

strata8

The Bolt will use existing chargers, including fast-chargers that are the equivalent of Tesla's superchargers.

In theory, but being non-proprietary doesn't help when the chargers are locked into a paid network, supply significantly lower power, or just don't exist. That's the case for the SAE Combo standard that the Bolt uses at least.

Odinson

I'm so excited for the unveiling of the Model 3. I had planned on reserving one but going back to school has put that on hold for now.

Tesla already has significant prestige - they have a history of building innovative high-performance electric vehicles. GM doesn't - their EV history consists of the Volt. So it's hardly surprising that Model 3 is more highly anticipated than the Bolt.

This is my thinking with the Bolt. Tesla has a dedicated charging network that it only plans to expand in the coming year and beyond. GM has said they aren't interested in building a fast charging infrastructure for the Bolt. I understand that they don't have to build gas stations for their fossil fuel cars as well, but if you want the general population to take your EV seriously maybe you should as well. Styling and features are subjective, but Tesla has a track record that's kind of hard to beat. I will give the Bolt a test drive though to see how it handles.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Tesla cars are also compatible with other charging technologies. I know someone who has a Model S but no charger at home. He drives it to work and when it needs a charge, he brings it over to one of several nearby non-Tesla charging stations.

Superchargers will charge a Tesla much faster -- but the car can be charged just about anywhere.

For example, http://www.chargepoint.com/ has a large network of chargers (in the US anyway) and you can charge Tesla at any of them.

Tesla already have adaptors for CHAdeMO and SAE J1772...

Huh, I didn't realize there was an adapter for CHAdeMO. I just never see any Teslas when I'm charging my car at the CCS/CHAdeMO combo units, even though I see a lot of them driving around.

In that case, Tesla has the better infrastructure since they can use proprietary and non-proprietary charging stations. Works for me :)

Cake Boss

Banned
The wife and I already made plans to sell both of our cars and get one of these beauties. Our minds were blown after testing the S model, if it can be half as good as that, then were happy.

Norfair

The wife and I already made plans to sell both of our cars and get one of these beauties. Our minds were blown after testing the S model, if it can be half as good as that, then were happy.

I'd like my next car to be electric too but right now both mine and my wife's cars just keep on running. Her 2004 Corolla and my 2005 Scion TC have kept on running with almost nothing going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom