• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a look at the map, there are precisely zero superchargers in my country.

Same goes for Portugal, Ireland, Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic. Wonder what Tesla has against those.

tfur

Looking at the specs on the X model.

Warranty
8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

How much approximately does it cost to replace the batteries?

Had a look at the map, there are precisely zero superchargers in my country.

Same goes for Portugal, Ireland, Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic. Wonder what Tesla has against those.

I don't think they have anything against them... but superchargers in Ireland don't make a huge amount of sense since you can already drive from any major city to any other on a single charge... and it makes sense to build the network outwards across the contiguous Europe, ensuring that within it they have ample coverage.

They're going to focus on wealthier countries first, at least until the model 3 is out, for obvious reasons.

Also, Ireland has good coverage from fast chargers of other types, and you can buy an adapter for the Tesla to let it use them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wonder what the used market for Tesla 3's will be like. I don't expect to see many in the first few years as I doubt people buying into the Tesla ecosystem and mindset are going to get one and just dump it a year later.

They are putting in loads this year iirc.

I am genuinely amazed at the job Tesla have done building out their infrastructure considering they're small for a car company and are relatively new.

You can see what they have planned for this year by going here, clicking Europe and clicking 2016.

By late 2017 when the Model 3 comes out, coverage isn't going to be an issue. The only potential issue is going to be ensuring there are enough superchargers at each site to avoid queues.

I am genuinely amazed at the job Tesla have done building out their infrastructure considering they're small for a car company and are relatively new.

You can see what they have planned for this year by going here, clicking Europe and clicking 2016.

By late 2017 when the Model 3 comes out, coverage isn't going to be an issue. The only potential issue is going to be ensuring there are enough superchargers at each site to avoid queues.
Any where to see their 2017 rollout plans?

I know it probably goes against everything Tesla stands for, but man, I wish their cars were hybrid. I live in LA and I don't think I've ever seen a supercharging station around here.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I wonder what the used market for Tesla 3's will be like. I don't expect to see many in the first few years as I doubt people buying into the Tesla ecosystem and mindset are going to get one and just dump it a year later.

Tesla is constantly upgrading the cars, and many owners like to be on the bleeding edge, which leads to a fairly healthy CPO/used market for Teslas.

mcfrank

I know it probably goes against everything Tesla stands for, but man, I wish their cars were hybrid. I live in LA and I don't think I've ever seen a supercharging station around here.

Huh? I live by LAX and there are two super chargers within 3 miles of me. 5 superchargers between Santa Monica and Torrance.

Kickz

Been seeing Teslas frequently in my suburb just outside of Minneapolis.
Feel proud of my city everytime I see one.

Bildocube

OFFICIAL TESLA TWEET!!!!

https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/709865605101301760

UeICt1Q.jpg

Concept17

Based on that map I'm surprised there is only 1 charging station in Seattle. I see Teslas everywhere. Usually anywhere from 2 to 5 a day on average.

Pif

Banned
Guys, enlighten me, is this cheap enough for people who would have problems with gas taxation? I remember reading a post in that gas tax thread about how only rich people have the money to buy an EV.

I wonder if this is a gamechanger for those people.
Some countries make a kw convertion to CO2 emissions, and make you pay despite your EV having zero emissions.

Might check that out before you think you are clear of taxes.

As an electrical engineer, I couldn't be more excited. Hope it paves the way for EVs in the future.

I won't be buying it though, unfortunately :(

Dolobill

I probably would buy one of these in 2017 if the Canadian dollar hadn't collapsed. Looks like I'll probably wait a few years. Sucks.

CFMOORE!

I'm seriously tempted to put a deposit on 3/31! And I haven't seen the damn car yet! Dat pre-order culture!

i am planning on being at the dealer prior to them opening, i suspect there will already be a considerable line, yet we won't see the car till later in the day!

mf.luder

I just spoke to the Toronto store today. Gave me some details but nothing really that I didn't already know. I plan on camping out, I really want one.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Any idea what the wait would be if you don't pre order?

I'm scared the waits gonna be years lol

I love tesla, don't get me wrong, but after interviewing with them and seeing how messed up their inner workings are, the wait will be bad. Their supply chain is a nightmare because they try to act like a tech company instead of an automotive manufacturer.

They have a mindset that they can make engineering changes on a weekly basis for improvements but seem to forget that there are lead times involved for making said changes.

Still gonna buy a model 3, but no way in hell I'd get one for at least 1 model year into it.

Any idea what the wait would be if you don't pre order?

I'm scared the waits gonna be years lol

It'll be a while. I'm not 100% sure but it seems like priority for the preorders is being given to previous/current Tesla owners, and they've also said that they're going to be building the more optioned up cars first, so if you want to be able to just order one and it not be a really long delay (for example, like how it currently is for the Model S) you're probably looking at mid 2018 (this is my guess) - maybe longer.

I'm figuring mid 2018 since they're still ramping up the Model X deliveries, the Model 3 will be a higher volume car, and they've traditionally had delays in getting vehicles to market. They're saying late this year for the first cars to be released. If you're not willing to wait, perhaps the Chevy Bolt might be up your alley.

It'll be a while. I'm not 100% sure but it seems like priority for the preorders is being given to previous/current Tesla owners, and they've also said that they're going to be building the more optioned up cars first, so if you want to be able to just order one and it not be a really long delay (for example, like how it currently is for the Model S) you're probably looking at mid 2018 (this is my guess) - maybe longer.

I'm figuring mid 2018 since they're still ramping up the Model X deliveries, the Model 3 will be a higher volume car, and they've traditionally had delays in getting vehicles to market. They're saying late this year for the first cars to be released. If you're not willing to wait, perhaps the Chevy Bolt might be up your alley.

I'm planning on putting down a deposit, but am I also ordering a final version of the car and/or financing at the same time? I guess not, because they won't have released those specs until later. When do you get to choose amenities?

CFMOORE!

that sucks/makes sense they'd give employees and current owners priority in the queue, but i also dislike the $1,000 ONLY pre-order and lack of Signature Model. If I want to drop $5-10k on a pre-order to option it up and secure an earlier rollout car, I should have the option to give them more money for that privilege.

Get the PlugShare app guys. It'll show you where all the nearby charging stations are from low power ones all the way to superchargers. Vancouver lights up like a Christmas tree when I use it.

I'm planning on putting down a deposit, but am I also ordering a final version of the car and/or financing at the same time? I guess not, because they won't have released those specs until later. When do you get to choose amenities?

Doubt it, for the same reasons you listed. From what I understand you're basically buying a spot in the line but I could be wrong. As far as amenities go, I don't know. They've said they don't want to show everything at the unveil so it may well be a split reveal kind of like the PS4 where you get some part of info now, and some part later. Perhaps that "later" part would be when they release the configurator and you can choose the amenities. Again this is just a guess.

that sucks/makes sense they'd give employees and current owners priority in the queue, but i also dislike the $1,000 ONLY pre-order and lack of Signature Model. If I want to drop $5-10k on a pre-order to option it up and secure an earlier rollout car, I should have the option to give them more money for that privilege.

Yeah. Though, what stops you from just optioning it up and paying them more money anyways, considering you'd probably get the car earlier than those who don't? Is it that you'd like to buy a specific spot in the line, or buy frills associated with a limited run Signature Edition or something else?

Anybody else from the bay area here? Teslas are as common as bmws now. You see them all the time in the carpool lane with only one driver.

I'll pass.

CFMOORE!

Yeah. Though, what stops you from just optioning it up and paying them more money anyways, considering you'd probably get the car earlier than those who don't? Is it that you'd like to buy a specific spot in the line, or buy frills associated with a limited run Signature Edition or something else?

i more want to buy a place in line by giving them more money. but i wouldn't get the base model either. i figure based on probable options, it would drive up the cost of what i would purchase into the mid 40s. I'd want whatever their biggest wheel is, panoramic roof, maybe bigger screen (if it is an option), door handles that retract, leather, etc.

Jimrpg

Will this be available to preorder in Australia? The Tesla 'S' is like my dream car, (well after a Porsche and Ferrari), but a Model 3 will be perfectly fine for me.

$35k - I could see this selling $50-55k in Australia, definitely in a reasonable price range.

Will this be available to preorder in Australia? The Tesla 'S' is like my dream car, (well after a Porsche and Ferrari), but a Model 3 will be perfectly fine for me.

$35k - I could see this selling $50-55k in Australia, definitely in a reasonable price range.

At a wild guess they won't create and export RHD models for some time. Since I believe Tesla are required under the obligations of government bail out to produce this car, it is entirely possible that the profit margin will be such that they'll find some excuse not to produce it for smaller markets at all and/or the demand in the US will be enough to soak up all battery pack production for two more years. I'm a bit cynical when it comes to Tesla meeting expectations on this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom