• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

hughesta

Banned
I still don't know if I really believe this.
There is absolutely no video proof out there yet. Only someone who plays it for a few seconds, nothing about unlocking it.

Seems fishy.
people in this thread have confirmed it. They could be lying I guess but meh

Nothing, I'm just skeptical. It's such an odd thing to leave as a tribute and the method of access, that I don't think it is a tribute and that there must be some other reason behind it. That's all.

It's cool either way though.

Does that not seem extremely odd to anybody else? I think the date is a coincidence.

It's a charm. Iwata programmed Golf all by himself, even creating a compression method to fit the game into the cart when all the devs Nintendo tried to recruit passed on it thinking it was impossible.

I can see why they put it in the system.

I will never try to use foul means to make this work. I'll do it in the day it was meant to be played since it is a tribute after all.

I just love this kind of stuff. And I don't think that anyone at Nintendo would have unveiled this officially. It is a nice little secret, made for personal usage, so to speak.

It is really touching and so fitting tribute to one of the nicest programmer ever known.

Fucking awesome.

tumblr_inline_orpo921mwg1r0r1dt_540.gif

B.K.

Where? Thought I have read the whole thread, didn't saw anything.

Sorry for the shitty tablet picture. I don't have a camera.

EWNY0wf.jpg

You unlock it just like they say: have the date on July 11 and do the Direct pose. The pose is the hardest part. I have a lot of trouble triggering it. I may get it a couple times in a row, then it may be 10 or 15 tries before I get it again. It's definitely legit on firmware 1.0. I guess we'll see about newer firmwares next summer.

Cindro

That feel when you see this tribute but remember that one of Iwata's last public comments was a humble response to all of the negativity surrounding Nintendo's E3 2015 presence:

Thank you for watching. We take opinions of this year's Digital Event seriously and will work to better meet your expectations.

God, if only it didn't take his death to appreciate him the way we all do now.

And thanks for confirming this, B.K. It's heartwarming to know it isn't a hoax <3

Qwark

I dunno man, if it's a game Iwata worked on, and it's the day he died, and it's using the gesture he's known for...

it's probably related to him.

Imo, the gesture is probably supposed to be a golf swing, that would make more sense to me, but that's conjecture either way.

B.K.

Imo, the gesture is probably supposed to be a golf swing, that would make more sense to me, but that's conjecture either way.

I tried golf swings. It didn't work. I could have been doing a swing wrong, but the Direct gesture was the only way I could trigger it.

I know this was supposed to be a tribute but feels like kinda morbid to me.

What's so morbid about it? It is perfectly normal to remember the fallen.

The way I see it, this is to honour especially his deeds and life work. He wasn't at Nintendo from the day he was born, he didn't program Golf then either.

It makes a lot more sense to me to honour people in the day they died instead of birthday. Birthdays are for living.

I tried golf swings. It didn't work. I could have been doing a swing wrong, but the Direct gesture was the only way I could trigger it.

A golf swing was actually the first interpretation when the degree and angle of the movement was shown. But it never worked until someone suggested the Direct gesture.

tesqui

Anyone have video of the entire process? I want to hear the supposed audio snippet of Iwata and boot into the Golf game.

It's clearly related to Iwata. Why would it be a golf swing? You're coming across as being contrary in the face of hard evidence.

Cindro

You know what's extra sad? Noticing that Iwata's producer credit is showing up less and less often.

It was in BotW and MK8D, but I don't recall seeing it in either Spla2n or Samus Returns :(

Qwark

It's clearly related to Iwata. Why would it be a golf swing? You're coming across as being contrary in the face of hard evidence.
Because it's golf? People are still discovering things, it's not hard evidence. I'm expressing my opinion in a clear and calm manner that I think this is too bizarre to be a tribute, that's all. I would respect the same in return.

I am looking forward to hearing more details about this as they are discovered.

To be clear, this is probably *not* strictly limited to 1.0.0. It just has to have never seen internet time and for most systems this is impossible and the only systems out there that likely have never seen internet time (or Nintendo's Update Servers/Services) are 1.0.0 and anything after that may have seen it in various stages.

The only way to know for sure won't be until July 11th, 2018.

My system has never been connected to the internet, unless they do it at the factory. I will test this when I get home.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This is amazing. I hope Nintendo sees how this got known and makes it available to updated consoles as well, it's a really great gesture to have a game on the system Iwata coded himself. Man.

Because it's golf? People are still discovering things, it's not hard evidence. I'm expressing my opinion in a clear and calm manner that I think this is too bizarre to be a tribute, that's all. I would respect the same in return.

Someone has set the date to July 11th which is Iwatas date of death and performed the motion and confirmed that this motion works and then posted a picture of the result. Sorry if I came over as aggressive but I'm not sure what else would convince you.

Don't worry bruv, perfectly reasonable stance to take.

But do read up about what Iwata did with the golf game that made sense why Nintendo would put it there as a lucky charm.

Qwark

Someone has set the date to July 11th which is Iwatas date of death and performed the motion and confirmed that this motion works and then posted a picture of the result. Sorry if I came over as aggressive but I'm not sure what else would convince you.

I'm aware of the requirements. One of these three things would convince me, acknowledgement from Nintendo, this still working next July 11th, or something discovered in code that shows this isn't more than some bizarre debug mode.

sneas78

Banned
I'm aware of the requirements. One of these three things would convince me, acknowledgement from Nintendo, this still working next July 11th, or something discovered in code that shows this isn't more than some bizarre debug mode.
I don't know the only bizarre thing is how people react like this is fake. It's really touching.

Fair enough I guess but that's a pretty big coincidence. Especially when you couple it with knowledge of Japanese beliefs.

jariw

If it's an omamori, it makes perfect sense to have it in all shipping Switch units and in the firmware. And it would make perfect sense to use the pose Iwata used, and the date of is death. Omamori should not be translated with tribute,since it's about spiritual protection.

Since you can basically ride Iwata's spirit in BotW, I don't think this is strange at all.

Top Bottom