• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to let Pikmin go.

Makonero

That's not how that works.

Sorry I called a spade a spade by pointing out how out of touch Nintendo was during the lifecycle of the Wii U and how out of touch they are right now.
lol I'm just saying, you can rage against the machine as much as you like

That won't get you what you want. Nor are you owed it.

Yado

I agree with you OP, it's a waste of resources. If I had any say over Nintendo's output it would never see the light of day.

rex

You're 100% right OP. Pikmin is a mistake that should never have been made.

Now it's time to correct that mistake.

It's a bizarre concept with a bizarre name attached to it in a non existent genre and it all guarantees its failure.

And the games are well made. Can you imagine what a bad Pikmin game would actually do if EAD weren't around to work its magic?

Give this franchise to NST like they did with poor Wave Race and see what it would do to its sales.

Pikmin is an albatross around the neck of our beloved Nintendo. Time to cast it off forever.

kswiston

Reposting, since I landed at the bottom of the last page:

We know that Nintendo can be Japanese focused. Let's look at Pikmin and Metroid sales in Japan courtesy of Famitsu. These are numbers via Garaph and year end reports, so final sales might be a bit higher.

Pikmin

Pikmin - 502,996 (#10 on overall GCN chart in Japan)
Pikmin 2 - 470,933 (#11 on overall GCN chart in Japan)
New Play Control! Pikmin - 170,866
New Play Control! Pikmin 2 - 148,094
Pikmin 3 - 222.909

Metroid

Metroid Fusion - 155,528
Metroid Prime - 78,384
Metroid Zero Mission - 85,045
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 40,355
Metroid Prime Hunters - 90,028
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 74,647
New Play Control! Metroid Prime - 20,607
New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 12,427
Metroid: Other M - 70,870
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Less than 4k in its debut week.

So the past 15 years of Metroid in Japan sold about 10k more than Pikmin 1 GCN + Wii port.

Metroid sales were better in the west, but not to the level that you seem to think they were. The last game to break 1M worldwide was a decade ago, and that was during a Nintendo Boom when almost everything was setting series records.

Malus

Great stealth Pikmin love thread OP. This thread got 5x as many posts than it would've if it were about appreciating the Pikmin series. Way to take one for the team.

Kthulhu

lol I'm just saying, you can rage against the machine as much as you like

That won't get you what you want. Nor are you owed it.

Nintendo isn't owed my money either. I have the right to bitch about whatever I want and that's how you get people's attention.

Bitching and voting with your wallet is the best way to get results in this industry.

Makonero

Metroidvania =/= Metroid

That's like saying Bravely Default is the same as Pokemon.

They scratch similar itches.

I want a 2D Metroid as much as the next guy but I'm going to still enjoy the good games that come out and not hold my breath waiting for something that clearly isn't a priority for them.

KraytarJ

Pikmin is like the only Nintendo series I've given multiple chances to that I just can't get anything out of. So I'd be cool if they put that shit into other stuff from here on out.

We got ourselves an OP-n-Run, boys.

latest

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, there are Pikmin clones like Overlord and Little King's Story, so that's not entirely true.

Overlord doesn't look like my cup of tea. I've yet to play Little King's Story though but it looks interesting.

Also Pikmin is still being made so there's that too. If there's more to that style of RTS it must be highly niche.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't agree with this topic at all, but I do think it's kind of weird that this series is getting a spin-off and supposedly an extra chance with Pikmin 4, even though most other Nintendo franchises would have been sent to the grave with these kinds of sales by this point (like F-Zero).

My theory is that it's the Miyamoto effect. Pikmin is clearly a passion of his.

Kthulhu

I want a 2D Metroid as much as the next guy but I'm going to still enjoy the good games that come out and not hold my breath waiting for something that clearly isn't a priority for them.

Not for me. I want Metroid because it's Metroid, not just cuz of the gameplay.

I do like other Metroid stlye games, but sometimes I want to play as a badass female bounty hunter and kill space pirates.

I have a right to complain about how Nintendo is out of touch and has mismanaged their franchise.

Not for Metroid fans, and ESPECIALLY Metroid Prime fans. There is nothing out there even remotely like Metroid Prime.

Makonero

Not for me. I want Metroid because it's Metroid, not just cuz of the gameplay.

I do like other Metroid stlye games, but sometimes I want to play as a badass female bounty hunter and kill space pirates.

I have a right to complain about how Nintendo is out of touch and has mismanaged their franchise.
You can bitch all you like, it's not gonna do a damned thing.

Some of you must hate how many Fire Emblem games we are getting.

I'll just say that I think we are getting another Metroid game in the future.

I don't agree with this topic at all, but I do think it's kind of weird that this series is getting a spin-off and supposedly an extra chance with Pikmin 4, even though most other Nintendo franchises would have been sent to the grave with these kinds of sales by this point (like F-Zero).

He's mentioned that he wished both Pikmin and Star Fox were more popular.

This is, without a doubt, the most fucking ignorant thread I've ever seen on this board. It actually baffles me that you considered this deluded, backward opinion worth sharing.

Welcome to OP's dystopian video game future, where only games that fly off the shelves are allowed the privilege of continuing to exist. Hope everyone likes extreme homogenization!

Sorry you're mad that Nintendo is making games you don't like? Or whatever the reason is for this half-baked thought burbling up in your head.

I'll happily take even more Pikmin games "shoved down my throat." And you can fucking avatar quote the fuck out of this shit.

kswiston

No one seems to take an issue with us getting a third Xenoblade game on Switch, and Pikmin 3 either outsold Xenoblade X, or came close to it (I don't know how Europe affected things). Which one of those games would you guess had more money thrown behind it?

My guess is that nobody at Nintendo is particularly passionate about making another traditional Metroid right now (or at least until very recently if they finally do have something in the pipeline), and middling sales for a Nintendo title make it pretty easy to ignore.

D.Lo

One of the worst OPs I have ever read.

Pikmin is an amazing franchise, all three games have been fantastic and it's also something different and unique in a sea of mediocrity. AND it sells quite well for a second tier property too. Shoving down throats, WTF.

I love both Metroid and Pikmin, in fact they may be my two favourite franchises. I hope they both continue with great games.

L Thammy

Lol! Poor little Metroid fans, left out in the cold. With all their Metroidvanias coming out every year.

How many games like Pikmin do we get each year?

No, I'm saying that we should shit on Metroid fans for the greater good.
Pikmin fans! Lend me your rectums!

Overlord doesn't look like my cup of tea. I've yet to play Little King's Story though but it looks interesting.

Also Pikmin is still being made so there's that too. If there's more to that style of RTS it must be highly niche.

It's kind of a fantasy comedy. But on a gameplay level, Overlord's incredibly similar, especially the first game. More of an exploration focus though.
Little King's Story is much more unique, but still obviously inspired by Pikmin.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To be fair, all of us Metroid fans are a little bitter. Some just take it to an extreme level.

I like the Metroid series and I think that Samus is a cool character but I really don't like the Metroid fan base of late, especially after the embarrassment of how they behaved when Federation Force was announced.

F-Zero almost happened. They went to the Burnout devs for a collaboration but they declined.

Exactly, it isn't that Nintendo neglects a series it's just that they focus on gameplay mechanic first and then assign it to an IP.

Personally I think that a new F-Zero may be in the work as the Blue Falcon, 2 F-stage was in Mario Kart 8 but Captain Falcon was absent with the Mii costume being the closest he got in the game.

Yup. They need to start actually listening to what the fans want instead of pumping out garbage that they think we want.

No they shouldn't, fans don't know what's best or aware what the market wants and in some case send mix message.

Now fan feed back is important but Nintendo should never 100% abide them.

Reddaye

Banned
If the games are profitable I don't see the issue. I can't claim to be a Pikmin fan, but if the games are making some money I can't see any major reason to can the series. It's not like they release a lot of them.

Yado

Also, FZero should stay dead, so should Star Fox. Metroid should be completely revamped to reflect the current gaming landscape. 1, 2 Switch looks like microwaved garbage and it shouldn't exist.

Pikmin is Nintendo's army console game now. That's just how it is. Advance Wars will probably get resurrected this gen alongside it though. It's perfect for Switch.

It's kind of a fantasy comedy. But on a gameplay level, Overlord's incredibly similar, especially the first game. More of an exploration focus though.
Little King's Story is much more unique, but still obviously inspired by Pikmin.

I would say the concept of Pikmin mixing it with sci-fi qualities makes it more unique than the games that try to adapt to its systems.

Dryk

so we have to give up pikimin to get metroid? sure but I don't think it works that way.
With the current state of the two franchises I'd keep Pikmin. But then again I bought a Wii U to play Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 so I'm super out of touch with the market.

Kthulhu

No they shouldn't, fans don't know what's best or aware what the market wants and in some case send mix message.

Now fan feed back is important but Nintendo should never 100% abide them.

Not what I was trying to say.

I just think that Nintendo should take that feedback into consideration, cuz I don't feel like they are.

kswiston

Pikmin is Nintendo's army console game now. That's just how it is. Odama and Advance Wars will probably get resurrected this gen though. They're perfect for Switch.

Advance Wars will be resurrected as a F2P eshop game on Switch, Pokemon Picross or Rusty's Real Deal Baseball style.

rex

Has any system infected with the Pikmin bug not died a horrible death?

GameCube got it.

So did Wii U.

3DS is strong, but I don't think it's a coincidence this grim reaper of a franchise shows up in the hour of its death.

It's like a pestilence this Pikmin.

Also Metroid could easily be saved with the following steps:

-Let EAD or whatever they're calling themselves these days make it.
-Dump the name
-And the power suit
-And the interconnected overworld

And reinvent it as a level based, exploration oriented platforming game starring Samus without that orange monstrosity. Why it works for Master Chief I don't know but it ain't working here.

SkyOdin

Metroid fans need to accept that it is ultimately a franchise with only modest sales and little potential for growth or successful spinoffs. All Metroid fans want are games where Samus ventures alone into alien planets to fight monsters and space pirates. That's fine, but it isn't a good property for merchandising or spinoffs designed to hook in new fans. This relates to how Samus is the only Metroid representative in Smash Bros: there isn't anyone else to use from the series.

There is a very good reason that Nintendo is instead investing in stuff such as Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade instead lately. Those are series that produce large numbers of popular characters that can be used to push merchandise, Amiibo, and mobile titles.

Top Bottom