• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

You make Girl-GAF sad, DrKM. Perhaps you should use the more accurate "bunch of forever-alone angry-nerd dudebros who hate everything" analogy? :p

This is the calm before the storm though.

People sure do have short memories if they don't get the subtitle. You could have a subtitle for each day of the week if you go with crazy Ken quotes, however.

Your analogy goes where I wanted to go with mine only it is more direct.lol I agree totally!

Nista

I really hope to do enough theorycrafting to not have to tweak my builds once I'm playing :x

Not all of us are super theorycrafting machines like you, scy. :)

Or we're just indecisive over 100 hours of play time.

Your analogy goes where I wanted to go with mine only it is more direct.lol I agree totally!

At least we generally have more *well-reasoned* meltdowns than other popular gaming forums. Still fun to read but hurts the brain less.

Guess I should have paid for extra shipping so my collector's edition would arrive in time for the midnight launch. Oh well. :/

I've got release date shipping from Amazon.com and I'm hoping they let me break the street date by accident. As we all know with Amazon, sometimes people get lucky!

I will be checking my email everyday hoping to see a mega early shipping confirmation.

Macstorm

I'm 15 hours into the game right now (on 360) and was able to get six in on what was called the "post alpha" version during a press event in October. While I'm still under embargo, feel free to say that none of my demo complaints are there, including my issues with the camera. I don't know if it's been adjusted slightly or if I'm just adjusting myself, but no issues. I also have trouble believing that I'm playing an open-world RPG, because I'm not finding any bugs or having the game crash on me.

I've said it before and will say it again, the combat system is awesome in this game. Anyone who finds themselves simply button mashing should try some different combinations of weapons, moves, and skills. I thought I would go mage to start with, but am now doing a perfect jack-of-all-trades build. Daggers, chakrams, feyblades, melee skills like quake, harpoon, magic barrier, stealth kills. My little Varani gal can really tear things to pieces. I wish I could take screenshots on the 360 easily.

Got my pre-order in for the 360 version at Amazon with release-day shipping. Really hoping IGN or someone else talks about the differences between the 360 and PS3 versions.

I don't think it will drop that fast, honestly. They will be running ads during the Super Bowl on Feb 5th and think that alone could drive sales for quite some time at 60 bucks. It will probably drop like all games do but I'm thinking it will last past the end of March for sure. I just see this one having legs due to a great push from EA, Big Huge Games and the demo.

Well, I'm subscribed to this thread, so while I say I'll hold out until a price drop, it's quite likely that I'll give in once I see everyone posting about its awesomeness.

I really need to win the lottery to have time to play all these games, though.

At least we generally have more *well-reasoned* meltdowns than other popular gaming forums. Still fun to read but hurts the brain less.

Guess I should have paid for extra shipping so my collector's edition would arrive in time for the midnight launch. Oh well. :/

I've been a daily poster here since late 1999, I think. It has been one heck of a ride. Who knows, maybe Amazon and the mail system will work things out in your favor. I've had some ridiculously fast shipments from Amazon at times with just the cheap option.

Well, I'm subscribed to this thread, so while I say I'll hold out until a price drop, it's quite likely that I'll give in once I see everyone posting about its awesomeness.

I really need to win the lottery to have time to play all these games, though.

My backlog is pathetic. I keep saying Kingdoms of Amalur will be the last game I buy this gen. I may make it to the Fall before failing to keep that, though. It comes across as more of a "wish" than a "promise".

erragal

I really hope to do enough theorycrafting to not have to tweak my builds once I'm playing :x

I'm with you. The most fun for me is seeing how well I can pick out an awesome build without having played the game and then put it into action. Very satisfying when it all comes together perfectly.

Sure, if I could still finish it with the other guy. I tend to have a theme in mind for the character - a stealthy ranged guy, or focusing on fire spells, things like that. Seems like 'cheating' the roleplaying experience to just up and change the guy because something seems better.

Except the game is built around the story of a man/woman who explicitly does not have their fate set in stone.

Anyway I tried the Might tree on another demo run. I was alright with it at first, but then I realized that it doesn't seem to have anything flashy later on to make combat more exciting.

I may go pure Sorcery or Sorcery/Finesse. Hell, even pure Finesse looks better than pure Melee. Though I'm confused about the dash attack with daggers. It seems to do no damage, and the end up the attack leaves you vulnerable to counterattacks when there are multiple enemies around.

I'm 15 hours into the game right now (on 360) and was able to get six in on what was called the "post alpha" version during a press event in October. While I'm still under embargo, feel free to say that none of my demo complaints are there, including my issues with the camera. I don't know if it's been adjusted slightly or if I'm just adjusting myself, but no issues. I also have trouble believing that I'm playing an open-world RPG, because I'm not finding any bugs or having the game crash on me.

I've said it before and will say it again, the combat system is awesome in this game. Anyone who finds themselves simply button mashing should try some different combinations of weapons, moves, and skills. I thought I would go mage to start with, but am now doing a perfect jack-of-all-trades build. Daggers, chakrams, feyblades, melee skills like quake, harpoon, magic barrier, stealth kills. My little Varani gal can really tear things to pieces. I wish I could take screenshots on the 360 easily.

So how are you liking it so far?

Khezu

Except the game is built around the story of a man/woman who explicitly does not have their fate set in stone.

Anyway I tried the Might tree on another demo run. I was alright with it at first, but then I realized that it doesn't seem to have anything flashy later on to make combat more exciting.

I may go pure Sorcery or Sorcery/Finesse. Hell, even pure Finesse looks better than pure Melee. Though I'm confused about the dash attack with daggers. It seems to do no damage, and the end up the attack leaves you vulnerable to counterattacks when there are multiple enemies around.

The dash is to spread poisons and bleeds to multiple enemies, and also look cool.

Wallach

Not sure if it works with the Finesse attack you're talking about specifically, but a lot of attacks that have long recovery are cancelable with spells (even when they are not cancelable with dodge or block). For example the basic staff 3-hit combo (no delays) ends with a strong hit that has relatively long recovery; you can't dodge or block during it, but you can cancel out of the attack recovery with lightning bolt.

Unity2012

Looks like the OPs photobucket account crapped itself.

I was thinking, is it just me? I can't see most of the images. He sure put a lot of work and great efforts into it.

Great OT! Excellent source of information.

Thank you.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Nice OP but the images are now gone. Cannot wait for this game. Canceled my 360 version i just cannot get use to the 360 controller but the demo looks more vibrant on the 360.

ReaperXL7

Nice OP but the images are now gone. Cannot wait for this game. Canceled my 360 version i just cannot get use to the 360 controller but the demo looks more vibrant on the 360.

Lol yeah I know, did not realize photobucket sucked so hard. At work now but I'm going to have it fixed up tomarrow morning.

Careful you don't get any old man dust on you.

That'll be an amusing event cause it's not that big of a GS store. They should get Ken to convince the Coldstone next door to give everyone free ice cream.

Yeah I'm trying to limit myself to 2 weapons per tree, but even that will be overkill. The 2- handed weapons in the Might tree aren't really my style. But there's too many points that need to be spent so it's either weaponry or more low-tier active skills I won't be using.

Mmm old man dust. So you're familiar with the area huh? It's a little too cold for ice cream I think but that's a nice idea anyway. ;)

scy

T.T

I like respec options, for the record. I just also like planning so I don't have to use them. No matter how much theorycrafting I can do, I'm not omnipotent so it's always nice to have the option of respeccing as opposed to "made a mistake, brand new character time!"

Plus, if my theorycrafting helps others, all the better.

KingK

OP is awesome (I saw it before the images broke). It makes me even more hyped for this game. The wait is going to be really frustrating, considering I won't be getting this until April. I have to wait 2 months :(

Oh well, that's probably good for my grades in the short term anyway.

Seanspeed

Banned

What? The 360 controller is the most natural feeling controller ever.

Anyways, for all that people complain about large, flashy OT's, I find that I'm actually less willing to read through them when the images are broken, which makes it feel much less flashy. In other words, fix the images and all hail big, presentable, info-loaded OT's that so many people hate! I love them and definitely read through them if its a game I'm interested in.

ironcreed

Banned

Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to having full reign with it next week, along with the inevitable addiction I know it will most certainly bring.

Keikaku

Hey man, congrats on the impending release.

Count me as another "I don't know how this game flew under my radar..." I heard about it on Penny Arcade, and then checked out the demo the next day.

The demo is fantastic, I can't wait to play the finished product.

Guys - The link worked for me and I was able to create an account.
Still doesn't work for me. What is it?

shaowebb

I'm so excited for this game. I can't wait to have it listed proudly as my Steam status on launch day for around 20 hours straight. Take all of my money and thanks 38 studios and Big Huge games . You'll be getting my support directly through Steam.

EDIT: Woohoo! Account made!

Rad Agast

Ok, I don't think this microstuttering is intentional, I did a AoE that hitted like 5 guys and the game froze for 2 seconds.

I may be wrong but didn't notice it at all on the 360 demo but it was very much there while trying the PC demo. I think it's a glitch/bug.

shaowebb

Wait what?
teamliquid.net said:
WHAT CAN I WIN?
When 38 Studios heard about the streamathon, they got SUPER excited and offered the following prizes to be given away to viewers of the stream. I kid you not. They have offered the following:
• GTX 560 Nvidia Graphics cards
• A top of the line Doghouse Systems laptop laser engraved with the Reckoning logo and possibly autographed by the dev team/Visionaries
• A Spawn studio tour with Todd McFarlane
• A hand-drawn Destiny card of the winner's choice by Todd McFarlane
• A 38 Studios Providence studio tour with Curt Schilling and R. A. Salvatore
• Limited Edition McFarlane Troll figurine
• T-shirts
• A life-size Reckoning Great Hammer
• AND MORE!

HOW DO I WIN THINGS
Tune in on Tuesday! We'll have voting polls for the contests. All you have to do is make a vote and you're automatically entered into the drawing! .

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!
O_O

Curt you weren't kidding when you said no one has held an event like this before. Geez you went insane sending this massive stream-a-thon prizes for launch to give out. This is some amazing stuff.
All of my love good sir. All of it.

shaowebb

You guys are going to keep me from playing Reckoning with this launch day craziness..

I'll be playing on Steam so I'll window it and Stream watch it simultaneously. Here's hoping I can win that studio tour. I'd love to see the 38 Providence site with Schilling and Salvatore and see where the magic happens.

Haunted

Getting Day[9] as a promotional guy is pretty genius. Guy has a fantastic reputation among the community (e-sports, mostly SC2, all gamers and part of the target demographic) and streams to 15-20k people every day. One of the most popular streamers out there.

Having him marathon the game is a great initiative to get people talking and spread the word.

edit: also featuring TotalBiscuit, djWheat and incontrol? That's another 15k people watching live right there.

shaowebb

I think the OP needs to modify the front page after that announcement. Man this is insanely hype stuff. When and where did you even get that Great Hammer Replica made for this? 3D print job custom? Sculpted and vacuum form molded? Gave McFarlane free reign to sculpt prop models for use as video references during animation cycles?

You guys really go all out.

Top Bottom