• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

I don't see why not. The origin was they were pitching it so like on I'm assuming some forum that they should make a Call of Duty like xxx or maybe they even pitched it to Activision and got rejected. But that was never actually produced and they decided to make their own game with its own fiction that should be perfectly legal.

As long as they aren't using Call of Duty assets without clearing it or signed a contract with Acti to produce a game and then never did or what have you OR the really big one is if they didn't actually make the pitch and also didn't ask the original pitchman if it was ok, it shouldn't move over into legal trouble territory.

Far as I can tell from what they said, it's no longer a CoD fangame so what would the issue be?

Hatten

I was thinking, how big a deal is to launch in kickstarter instead of some other platform?

I mean, does anyone actually find the project through that site?

Most of the visitors seem to come from direct links to a certain project

Does launching in kickstarter give you any advantages?

I was thinking, how big a deal is to launch in kickstarter instead of some other platform?

I mean, does anyone actually find the project through that site?

Most of the visitors seem to come from direct links to a certain project

Does launching in kickstarter give you any advantages?

It's up to you and it depends on the project.

Personally, it's a lot better than having to set up a physical fundraiser. Yes, it's still work. You need to manage it like a political campaign. You can't just let it go on by, which was Takedown's problem. But you get to talk to EVERYONE as oppose to one at a time. EVERYONE sees your idea, can ask questions.

MRORANGE

Sorry guys, was busy the whole of last week. Updated OP with all project listed, give a shout if I missed anything:

iJ4BskFN9m9mU.png

Central thread listing Kickstarter projects, feel free to post new projects here.
Know about a new project? post here or send a link to the thread.

ibly7PcDHOOhDs.png

- Tex Murphy (Details coming soon - May 15th??? |Thread)

- Wasteland 2 ( Ends Apr 17th | Thread)
- Team Notion - 2D beat em up for PC and Mac (Vita and Mobile) (Ends Apr 18th)
- The Banner Saga ( Ends Apr 20th | Thread)
- Class of Heroes 2 Deluxe for the PSP® system (Ends Apr 27th)
- Valdis Story: Abyssal City (Ends Apr 27th)
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries (Ends Apr 28th | Thread)
- Spriter (gaming related) (Ends Apr 28th)
- City Conquest: Tower Defense Evolved (Ends Apr 29th)
- Gnilley - The Yelling Game (Ends Apr 29th)
- Shadowrun Returns (Ends Apr 29th | Thread)
- City Conquest: Tower Defense Evolved (Ends Apr 29th)
- The Dead Linger (Ends Apr 29th)
- Tortured Hearts - or, How I Saved The Universe. Again. (Ends Apr 29th)
- Ron Paul: Road to REVOLution (Ends May 1st)
- Popchilla's World: A Game for Kids with Autism (Ends May 1st)
- Ninja Wars (Ends May 2nd)
- Leisure Suit Larry (Ends May 2nd | Thread)
- Your World (Ends May 3rd)
- Hard Contact (Ends May 3rd)
- Nekro (Ends May 4th)
- Sira the Game (Ends May 4th)
- Vigrior : Maneuver Warfare (Ends May 5th)
- Yogventures! (Ends May 6th)
- Echoes of Eternia. A modern take on a classic design (Ends May 6th)
- Starlight Inception™ (Ends May 8th)
- Match and Magic (Ends May 10th)
- Republique by Camouflaj + Logan (Ends May 11th | Thread)
- Delaware St. John 4: Asylum of The Lost (Ends May 14th)
- Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox (Ends May 16th)
- Police Warfare (Ends May 18th | Thread)
- Grim Dawn (Ends May 18th)
- Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road 2012-2013 CSG Ends May 19th | Thread)
- Ravaged (Ends May 20th)
- Watch me build a fighting game - EXPO FIGHTER (Ends May 31st)
- Super Fun Time (Ends Jun 2nd)
- Turrican Soundtrack Anthology by Chris Huelsbeck (Ends Jun 3rd)

ibqneccnmvvutW.png

- College-Ruled Universe ($8,628)
- Against the Wall ($8,416)
- Aura Tactics ($11,027)
- Auditorium 2: Duet ($71,061 | Thread)
- Double Fine Adventure ($3,336,371 | Thread)
- FTL: Faster Than Light ($200,542)
- Americana Dawn ($4,791)
- Guncraft: Voxel-based First Person Shooter ($16,487)
- TAKEDOWN ($221,833 | Thread)
- Farmageddon - The frenetic farming game ($25,274)
- Rock Vibe - Accessible Gaming ($17,400)
- TRIP - AN ABSTRACT SURREAL EXPLORATION EXPERIENCE ($2,213)
- Zoneplex - A Board Game Adventure in an Alien Pyramid ($13,459)
- UFHO2 - A Turn-based Strategy Game ($10,872)
- Guns of Icarus Online ($35,237)
- Pixel Sand ($13,616)
- Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games ($170,954)
- The Departure Game App ($8,014)

Can we please make a separate "Begging For Money" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "game out in 3 years so pre-order" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "LTTP" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "Game out next week" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "IGN is a joke" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "New VG Cats comic" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "Moaning about what people want to talk about" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

SparkTR

Can we please make a separate "Begging For Money" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

If you want to complain, complain in that CoD ripoff Kickstarter thread. This thread is great for collecting all the projects in one location minimizing thread spamming and presenting them in a concise way.

to be fair, its the guys who insist on posting every single KS game project on the front page that's cluttering it. I feel like all i seem to read on gaming these days is KS this that this that. Its getting a bit tiresome. But yeah; I guess its sort of interesting to see the sort of snake oil that is being peddled out post DFA+WL2's massive success.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
guys, I have a solution for you - if you are not interested in a thread, don't open it.

Some projects need attention to get funded, some need attention because they are hilarious.

Aselith

Can we please make a separate "game out in 3 years so pre-order" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "LTTP" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "Game out next week" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "IGN is a joke" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "New VG Cats comic" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

Can we please make a separate "Moaning about what people want to talk about" sub-forum, and stop cluttering the main forum with this shit?

I think it's particularly funny that he posted this in a catch all thread. If everyone posted in here there would only be one thread.

btw:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/951947596/the-8-bit-bar-st-louiss-geek-bar?ref=history

saw this the other day; I think its neat but the fact its for st louis means; well, only people from the area will really get to experience it. Going to bomb out.

That said; this is the sort of shit; you go to the bank with a business plan with. Not Kickstarter.

Meh, it's worth a shot before you take out a loan. You have to pay the loan back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
guys, I have a solution for you - if you are not interested in a thread, don't open it.

Some projects need attention to get funded, some need attention because they are hilarious.

That's kind of the purpose of this topic though. I mean, I can see something like Wasteland 2 getting it's own thread because it would completely derail the discussion of other kickstarters since it gets so much attention.

I actually think the OP has gotten kind of bloated with so many projects, a lot of them getting little to no attention both here and on kickstarter. I think it would work best as a highlight/best of thread with only the most interesting and high-potential ones in the OP and anything else can come and go in the course of general discussion. Or divide the list in the OP between highlights with all the kickstarters getting lots of attention and money, and then "others."

Then again, I guess it is a "list of gaming kickstarters" so maybe I just have the wrong idea.

Aselith

That's kind of the purpose of this topic though. I mean, I can see something like Wasteland 2 getting it's own thread because it would completely derail the discussion of other kickstarters since it gets so much attention.

I actually think the OP has gotten kind of bloated with so many projects, a lot of them getting little to no attention both here and on kickstarter. I think it would work best as a highlight/best of thread with only the most interesting and high-potential ones in the OP and anything else can come and go in the course of general discussion. Or divide the list in the OP between highlights with all the kickstarters getting lots of attention and money, and then "others."

Then again, I guess it is a "list of gaming kickstarters" so maybe I just have the wrong idea.

Majority of even the small kickstarter threads get at least a few pages. That makes them thread worthy. This is a catchall easy to access thread to keep track of them. The threads are to discuss individual merits of specific projects and stuff like that. It doesn't make sense to have 10 conversations happening in one thread at the same time.

DiscoJer

Meh, it's worth a shot before you take out a loan. You have to pay the loan back.

It's also probably hard convincing a bank to loan you money to start up a hipster geek bar in a city (they want to put in St. Louis City proper) that was recently ranked more dangerous than Mosul, Iraq.

In reality, I don't think it's that bad (I live in the St. Louis area) but virtually every major project and revitalization attempt has failed. (The most recent try? Becoming an airline hub for China)

No, you have to give the people their rewards but other than that it is.

You have to constantly push your campaign. You can't just let it sit, hoping to meet your goal.

The Takedown crew did that, and then made an update saying "we just realized that we can't just sit on our asses".

MRORANGE

added, with thread links.

Is this the correct thread to mention upcoming Kickstarters?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/1420270001?token=e2d626b8

Grim Dawn, from the creators of Titan Quest. Still under review from Kickstarter management though, but it should go live soon.

yes, added to OP

jono51

Banned
Blackfoot studios are going to have a kickstarter for Ground Branch soon. Tactical FPS game with planning, gear choices, team setups etc a la Rainbow Six & Ghost Recon (older ones, not vegas/adv warfighter). Relaunched their whole site along with it. Details on the kickstarter to come soon.

www.blackfootstudios.com & www.groundbranch.com

Hatten

Personally, it's a lot better than having to set up a physical fundraiser. Yes, it's still work. You need to manage it like a political campaign. You can't just let it go on by, which was Takedown's problem. But you get to talk to EVERYONE as oppose to one at a time. EVERYONE sees your idea, can ask questions.

OK but what about using some other platform?

Or rolling your own? what would be the difference? what do I get from them than I can't get with a website with crowdfunding plugins and tools?

Their TOS says clearly that its up to devs to find backers

Aselith

So other than giving people what they paid for it's free money?
People are paying money to open a bar and what they get is a pdf and a party at the bar. If you think that would cost $68,000, you're delusional.

That's not a criticism. It's GOOD that people can use it to get money to do things without having a huge debt.

Rctdaemon

I couldn't either. It hadn't started yet when I looked at it before, said it was still being reviewed. I can't imagine it would have been turned down though?

From the Grim Dawn forum
I disabled the preview link for a bit so that I can work on the rewards without people becoming confused as I save the partial progress. Will be back up in a few hours.

Also, I'll include a signed poster. Heh, just didn't really occur to me that anyone would want that since I'm not exactly a legendary game designer or anything.

It hasn't been turned down. Crate was just giving a quick sneak peek.

Curious to see what all the Grim Dawn rewards will be. I was going to buy it, anyway, when it's finally released but I'd love some cool shit to go with it. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Curious to see what all the Grim Dawn rewards will be. I was going to buy it, anyway, when it's finally released but I'd love some cool shit to go with it. :p

I didn't pay a lot of attention, and since they're still being adjusted these might not be accurate, but the game was at $18 for a digital DRM-free version (didn't see anything about a Steam option). $100 for a physical deluxe of the game. I think $36 got you the soundtrack download along with the game. There was another tier between the game+OST and the physical copy of the game, but I don't remember what it was, or what the rewards beyond $100 were.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So other than giving people what they paid for it's free money?

Looks like it

Some people aren't very smart about it though

If you are awesome enough to donate 200$ to the cause I will buy a Madcatz Tournament Edition arcade stick for the console of your choice, deck it out with custom art from EXPO Fighter, and mail it to you! Of course you will also get access to the early BETA and the voice clip perk. Plus I will make sure to shout you out every time I live stream because you are so awesome.

It'd probably cost about 200 to buy and ship a TE stick.

I don't think I'd personally ever donate on something like this, but if good games actually ever get made from this thing then I'm glad.

Speaking of which have there been any kickstarter success stories yet(Games actually produced and distributed) or is it too new?

PaulLFC

It would be good if there was a way for backers to increase (but not decrease) their donations after the deadline, as the project progressed. I can't see how it would actually work, as it would probably result in lots of people paying the lowest tier and then just upping their pledge later in the project. But sometimes a project might make progress or add a feature where people think it's worthy of additional donations. As I said though, as good as it would be to be able to donate after the deadline, I can't imagine how it would work well.

I didn't pay a lot of attention, and since they're still being adjusted these might not be accurate, but the game was at $18 for a digital DRM-free version (didn't see anything about a Steam option). $100 for a physical deluxe of the game. I think $36 got you the soundtrack download along with the game. There was another tier between the game+OST and the physical copy of the game, but I don't remember what it was, or what the rewards beyond $100 were.

Not bad. Hope there's a hard cover art book somewhere.

Right now, I think the whole point of Kickstarter is cool.

But I am worried about the future. I can think that maybe some big publishers could use this to fund projects of them, which they think could be too risky.

If its funded, game developed and it sells shit, its okay, since they did not invest their money in it.

If its funded, game developed and it sells like hot okay, its a win-win situation for the publisher.
They did not invest in it themselves (financially) and they sell to new customers.

Right now it is used for some "Indie"-titles or Games, that would never see the light of day, but what could happen in the future?
"Hey Fans! You want some new downloadable Content. Donate for it on kickstarter!"

The other point is, there is no guarantee that the Game will be great.

Just a question. Do the developers on Kickstarter need to make something like a diary?
Like people pledge 500.000$ on the Game and the developer has to make some list like "100.000$ salary, 100.000$ Engine, etc."?

Looks like it

Some people aren't very smart about it though

If you are awesome enough to donate 200$ to the cause I will buy a Madcatz Tournament Edition arcade stick for the console of your choice, deck it out with custom art from EXPO Fighter, and mail it to you! Of course you will also get access to the early BETA and the voice clip perk. Plus I will make sure to shout you out every time I live stream because you are so awesome.

It'd probably cost about 200 to buy and ship a TE stick.

Just wanted to respond to this, I have costed it out and although it has a small margin compared to some of the other prizes I dont lose money on it. It's a special reward for people who are really excited about the game so I dont feel bad about giving them a cool exclusive prize.

Aselith

It would be good if there was a way for backers to increase (but not decrease) their donations after the deadline, as the project progressed. I can't see how it would actually work, as it would probably result in lots of people paying the lowest tier and then just upping their pledge later in the project. But sometimes a project might make progress or add a feature where people think it's worthy of additional donations. As I said though, as good as it would be to be able to donate after the deadline, I can't imagine how it would work well.
That doesn't make sense. If they did that, funds would be in a constant state of flux and the people would never be able to budget for it.

OK but what about using some other platform?

Or rolling your own? what would be the difference? what do I get from them than I can't get with a website with crowdfunding plugins and tools?

Their TOS says clearly that its up to devs to find backers

Like I said, it's up to you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

But I am worried about the future. I can think that maybe some big publishers could use this to fund projects of them, which they think could be too risky.

If its funded, game developed and it sells shit, its okay, since they did not invest their money in it.

If its funded, game developed and it sells like hot okay, its a win-win situation for the publisher.
They did not invest in it themselves (financially) and they sell to new customers.

Right now it is used for some "Indie"-titles or Games, that would never see the light of day, but what could happen in the future?
"Hey Fans! You want some new downloadable Content. Donate for it on kickstarter!"

Just a question. Do the developers on Kickstarter need to make something like a diary?
Like people pledge 500.000$ on the Game and the developer has to make some list like "100.000$ salary, 100.000$ Engine, etc."?

Kickstarter wouldn't really work for big companies. They can't raise nearly enough money on there to do what they would want to do, they wouldn't even be able to cover their marketing budgets with that kind of money, much less development of the actual games.

It's intended and works best for small companies that don't need a ton of money to do what they want to do. The multimillion kickstarters like Double Fine's game, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun are way out of the ordinary. Even games hitting $100 grand or more don't exactly seem typical. Less than half the ones in the OP have hit $50 grand. For a major developer/publisher, that's not even enough to pay one person for their work on the project, so it's not really worth the effort come up with reward tiers and send stuff out for this. Even if something hit a million, that's not even enough for the marketing budget for major releases.

MRORANGE

I doubt Kickstarter could work on a large scale method for game publishers...

7MAmP.png

gabbo

Don't the people who run Kickstarter have the final say on whether or not a project will be put up? I don't see them letting big publishers come in and try to bankroll projects that way. It would be detrimental to Kickstarter and other projects on the site if this happened, at least in my view.

The quality argument isn't new either, really, that's why every donation carries some element of risk, but so does any game purchase you make.

Hm...
Good points. Maybe I am just too worried in which way the industry moves.

I also see some good projects there, but kinda put off by the fact, that I do not even know how some Games in the end will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom