• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shouta said:
Despite it being the same level as Chernobyl, this is probably nothing even close in terms of damage thus far. Of course, it somehow could get worse but it I highly doubt it considering there's no risk of an explosion.

exactly..

Garcia

TekkenMaster said:
I love how the Japanese government went from the story of "very low risk" and "minimal effect" to Chernobyl levels.

Someone has to hold them accountable for their lies.

My thoughts exactly. The whole world is going to be pretty angry at this.

So you're telling me we went from "no biggie, all is under control" to Chernobyl levels? Exactly what the hell is happening at Fukushima?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
threenote said:
goddam it. How do you fix something like this.

You can't, really. They'll probably just end up closing the plant, building a sarcophagus around the building, and creating a no-man's land at a 5-mile radius around the building. Right now they're trying to save the plant and reverse the damage, but honestly, I think just boxing the damn thing up once they make sure it won't explode would be for the best.

Garcia said:

So you're telling me we went from "no biggie, all is under control" to Chernobyl levels? Exactly what the hell is happening at Fukushima?
In their defense, to this day I got all my Japan related news from NPR and the threat described was constantly heightened and barely under control. My impression was that the situation was really bad at all time and the authorities were struggling with keeping it in check, with a few ups and downs in the process.

Shouta

I think you guys need to remember that the scale they built for this kind of nuclear disaster was never built around Chernobyl as the highest tier. It just happens to be and anything put on the same level looks like it's as big of a disaster even if it may not be.

So as someone said, this scale needs to be remade to properly measure what could happen.

luoapp

ahoyhoy said:
You can't, really. They'll probably just end up closing the plant, building a sarcophagus around the building, and creating a no-man's land at a 5-mile radius around the building. Right now they're trying to save the plant and reverse the damage, but honestly, I think just boxing the damn thing up once they make sure it won't explode would be for the best.

What? They gave up on that like two weeks ago.

The incident may cause huge problems for Japan, but as far as the effects on other foreign countries is minimum so far. The fact is, the closest countries to Japan, China, S. Korea, USA, Russia, all equipped with the best radiation detectors on earth are monitoring the situation around the clock, and so far they only find trace amount of radiation in the air or water, and all are several orders lower than the background radiation.

Blackace

Garcia said:

Well about 100 5.0 aftershocks

Garcia

Jarmel said:
I'm currently in Osaka studying abroad and now I'm wondering if my school is going to call me back to the US.

Please keep us informed if anything happens. Stay safe, you and everyone in Japan.

Blackace

luoapp said:
What? They gave up on that like two weeks ago.

IMO they gave that up waaaaaay too late but I am just a lowly English teacher

Shouta said:
I think you guys need to remember that the scale they built for this kind of nuclear disaster was never built around Chernobyl as the highest tier. It just happens to be and anything put on the same level looks like it's as big of a disaster even if it may not be.

So as someone said, this scale needs to be remade to properly measure what could happen.

So let's say the scale was remade up to 10. If Chernobyl was 10, where would this be? Still 7? 8?

doitlive said:
If this is on the level of Chernobyl, then they need a better measurement. Something that won't cause confusion.

Exactly what Im thinking.

Just make it a 10 point scale, leave Japan at 7, and move Chernobyl to 10.

Esiquio

VelvetMouth said:
What the fuck at those people just meandering towards higher ground with water and debris lapping at their heels and then that one woman dragging a bag of stuff out of the water and the poor man going to her aid risking his life.

That video just made me angry.

I just don't get it. Were those people old or did they have some medical conditions? It seemed like everyone was walking really slowly in spite of the danger. That video was just gut-wrenching to watch...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The scale is fine. You just need to keep in mind what the scale is of: the required counter-measures to secure the plant and the local environment, then to return it to a pre-disaster state. Fukushima is absolutely on par with Chernobyl when you look at it that way.

Blackace

Sage00 said:
The scale is fine. You just need to keep in mind what the scale is of: the required counter-measures to secure the plant and the local environment, then to return it to a pre-disaster state. Fukushima is absolutely on par with Chernobyl when you look at it that way.

I thought that too but the fallout most likely won't be as bad..

luoapp

Blackace said:
IMO they gave that up waaaaaay too late but I am just a lowly English teacher

That's when they officially announced they are not gonna reopen reactor 5 and 6, which have been properly cooled. IIRC, the hope of salvaging the reactors faded away the moment they pumped sea water in them, that's less than 1 week after the disaster.

Sage00 said:

On par of what exactly. No foreign country has seen any increase of radiation more than several orders lower of background level.

Shouta

cosmicblizzard said:
So let's say the scale was remade up to 10. If Chernobyl was 10, where would this be? Still 7? 8?

Probably 5-6 in terms of damage and fallout, I think. There's certainly radiation but most of it is within that 20 km area for the most part and the amount still isn't as deadly as it could possibly be.

Also, yes another quake just occurred here and I could feel it meaning it was pretty powerful.

Jarmel

Banned
Garcia said:
Please keep us informed if anything happens. Stay safe, you and everyone in Japan.

Really it's not that bad where I am. Gotta fully stocked grocery stores and the background radiation level is normal. Although this does rule out going to Tokyo for a visit. I've only felt one earthquake since I've been here and that was a couple of weeks ago.

MIMIC

Banned
So, um, I read that they put that nuke plant on level 7, on par with Chernobyl. @_@

Have things deteriorated THAT drastically? If so, then this is really unsettling news. I thought things were getting better over there [edit]: (or maybe the nuke news just hasn't been as dominant of a headline over here as it was when the crisis began)

Shouta

MIMIC said:
So, um, I read that they put that nuke plant on level 7, on par with Chernobyl. @_@

Have things deteriorated THAT drastically? If so, then this is really unsettling news. I thought things were getting better over there [edit]: (or maybe the nuke news just hasn't been as dominant of a headline over here as it was when the crisis began)

No, see my post above.

Blackace

MIMIC said:

Have things deteriorated THAT drastically? If so, then this is really unsettling news. I thought things were getting better over there.

If were working in area that wasn't getting blasted with quakes every half an hour things would be better I am assuming.

But like people said it is mostly that area that is fucked...

Blackace

Finaika said:
Been getting a lot of shaking lately. What could this mean?

That we had the largest earthquake in the known history of the world?

Garcia

Finaika said:
Been getting a lot of shaking lately. What could this mean?

It's pretty normal, and according to geologists they could go on for months or years even.

Taking the 8.8 Chile earthquake as a reference:

"The larger the earthquake, the larger the aftershocks, the more of them and the longer they're going to last," said John Bellini, a geophysicist at the US Geological Survey (USGS) in Colorado.

"They will wind down in number, but they will probably be noticeable to people for months and could go on possibly for years," he told AFP.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
luoapp said:
On par of what exactly. No foreign country has seen any increase of radiation more than several orders lower of background level.
Did you read what I said? Levels 6 and 7 are about the response required to stop the situation, not the radiation level released (which is covered after level 5-6).

Radioactive water is still leaking into the sea and there are still constant fire trucks almost 24/7 pouring water into the reactors. They've had to evacuate everyone within a 30km radius. That water needs to be moved into storage constantly. The radiation tolerance level had to be raised to allow workers to continue working. They may need to eventually tomb the reactors up with concrete to end the situation once and for all.

That response is almost exactly the same as that required by Chernobyl. The actual amount of radiation released is irrelevant(after that becomes 'a siginificant amount for the local environment', the scale doesn't give a shit anymore and rightly so), what is relevant is what is required to get it under control.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
RustyNails said:
Uh oh. This is Chernobyl level now. Shit can go really bad. Japan, I know you can do this.
lvl7 sounds so arbitrary, is there something i can read to understand what the levels mean?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
-COOLIO- said:
lvl7 sounds so arbitrary, is there something i can read to understand what the levels mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Details

The scale measures three things: Off-site effects (Wider environment), On-site effect (Radiation level at the plant) and Defence in depth (Measures to get the situation under control).

They're all rated 1-7 in severity, and whichever of the 3 is the highest become the official level of the incident.

Fukushima's problem is that it's been a month and it's still not anywhere near under control. The defence in depth is a 7, and therefore the incident is a 7.

Can any of the regular, knowledgeable posters in this thread direct me to the best source for news regarding the latest from Japan?

Just from readin the last couple of pages, I understand the threat level has been raised to 7. If you were planning a trip to Osaka with this knowledge, would it make you cancel your plans?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
the_log_ride said:
Can any of the regular, knowledgeable posters in this thread direct me to the best source for news regarding the latest from Japan?

Just from readin the last couple of pages, I understand the threat level has been raised to 7. If you were planning a trip to Osaka with this knowledge, would it make you cancel your plans?
The situation has not changed and Osaka is fine(always was). The Kyodo news agency have the most up to date news: http://english.kyodonews.jp/

Thanks, Sage00. I'll be reading this thoroughly. My wife is travelling to Osaka to pay respects to her Grandpa, who just recently passed away. I'm sure Osaka is well beyond the exclusion zone, but you'll understand my worry.

Blackace

sangreal said:
Wouldn't the 9.5 Chile earthquake be almost 15x stronger?

Maybe the third largest earthquake in history... Excuse my slight hyperbole

Them changing the scale to 7 doesn't mean anything. Geez. It's like your teacher re-grading a paper you got and changing it from a B to an A, it's still the same paper but just got a different grade. They're not saying more radiation is spilling out than before or anything like that, they're just saying "let's change the arbitrary ranking of how bad the disaster is." And yes, 7 is the same level as Chernobyl but this is nowhere near as bad as that.

Do you think the Japanese govt. was downplaying the severity of the nuclear crisis to keep Japan "running" and the people relatively "calm"? Well that bubble had to burst sooner or later. They have a real crisis at hand.

zoom29

Neo Member
Shirokun said:
Here's another perspective of the tsunami in Minami Sanriku put up yesterday. Really shocking. I'm pretty sure it shows a couple people being swept away to their deaths at the end, so just a warning.

最後の方で、畑を逃げている人たちは全員助かっています。
So as the description says, all the people seen in the farmland were rescued.

Blackace

perfectchaos007 said:
Do you think the Japanese govt. was downplaying the severity of the nuclear crisis to keep Japan "running" and the people relatively "calm"? Well that bubble had to burst sooner or later. They have a real crisis at hand.

No I don't think the Governmemt was doing that in the slightest. I think TEPCO was doing so at first.. They might be trying to keep the people well outside of the fallout calm and having the country run as normal because they need that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom