• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

I haven't had locks on exit since I started exiting only when the game is suspended in its own (+) menu. Apropos, (-) sends the game to the gamepad, regardless of what state the game is in - gameplay, loading screen, cinematics.

A question: does anybody have an analogue-throttle scheme where the change-tune does not clash with some other control?

Apropos: Most Wanted is currently #3 in the weekly UK chart, #12 in the all-time chart. In the DE charts, it's #8 in the weekly, #20 in the all-time! And that's happening during the massive Ubi sale!

Not surprised with the UK - No shops are stocking it at all, so unless you're willing to wait and order online, download is the way to go. That's how it went down for me.

Fixed for accuracy.

It's a pretty neat easter egg though. Gonna buy this on Wii U in May or so. :)

I just tried it went to world 1-1 those reserve for parking spots the names must be the small Wii U team?

can someone confirm the pipes are not in other versions?

I thought the Orange Pipe sticking out of the cliff was strange

edit: tried again but it did not warp this time

4th try worked

Zarovitch

I try it yesterday, it look great but for the moment i'm not good to control cars.
I've not find the sweet spot to control them well.

edit: i play with the gamepad, do the controller pro is better?

not sure where Warp Pipe that accesses Level 3-1 is but 2-1 was not a hard jump just a slow drive

shame they could have hidden some Nintendo themed cars in them

this 2-1 car stays peach Pink you cannot even repaint it

Woah, game looks great, but I can't control it at all!

I probably did myself a disservice by heavily playing Forza Horizon recently, as I can't get a grip on the arcade-y controls.

Any tips, or do I just have to "reset" myself so I am not in a simulator mindset?

Dicer

Banned
I try it yesterday, it look great but for the moment i'm not good to control cars.

I use the pro controller and it seems to work much better

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I quite like the game so far, but I really sucks. I played quite a lot of Burnout 3 back in the days, but I feel like it's even easier to crash in this game.

The "open world" nature of races is also a bit destabilizing; I had to restart races a few times because I was going in a completely wrong direction. I know I can take a look at the minimap to know the correct road, but I would've liked more visual indications on the track, or even completely close all the unneeded roads.

Finally, I'm a bit disappointed that they left out splitscreen multiplayer.

With that said, I still love the game. The graphics are pretty impressive, and the sense of speed is great. I just don't think I'll love the game as much as Burnout 3!

I played a lot of this on Vita, and just got my Wii U copy - I had no idea that the speed points transferred over. I thought it was a glitch when all of the MW races unlocked. Controls felt great when I played, although I guess the Vita version was good training, since it has digital acceleration too.

I love the co-driver controls, really cool feature. I did have a hardlock last night, but hopefully they can fix it in a future patch.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Woah, game looks great, but I can't control it at all!

I probably did myself a disservice by heavily playing Forza Horizon recently, as I can't get a grip on the arcade-y controls.

Any tips, or do I just have to "reset" myself so I am not in a simulator mindset?
Are you using digital or analogue throttle? This largely changes some of the fundamental control mechanics of the game.

The "open world" nature of races is also a bit destabilizing; I had to restart races a few times because I was going in a completely wrong direction. I know I can take a look at the minimap to know the correct road, but I would've liked more visual indications on the track, or even completely close all the unneeded roads.

YES! I know I'll get used to it, but I'm terrible at going the way I'm supposed to at the moment. I was in first FINALLY during a race last night...only to miss a turn and just give up completely and shut the Wii U off.

Has there been any word from the developer regarding the hard locks? Have they acknowledged them even? I know the game just came out last week, but I'm hoping for some good news on that front.

Are you using digital or analogue throttle? This largely changes some of the fundamental control mechanics of the game.

Well, digital, since I'm using the Gamepad (I don't have a Pro Controller yet). It is very strange not having manual control of my speed.

Cronq

Banned
Got my $30 copy in the mail yesterday.

I suck at this game. I do think no analog throttle does affect this game negatively. It was easy enough to just remap the acceleration to the right stick though. I tried on both the Pro U controller & Gamepad. I actually did better on the Gamepad.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, the open nature of the game made the races slightly confusing at first for me too. Takes me a bit to get used to where to go and to stay in the races. But I'm getting better

gamingeek

I found it hard at first, but I haven't bought a racing game in years.

Here are some tips. Try different cars, some are better than others, then stick to one and get used to it - I prefer the McClaren.

Try keeping your finger on the gas full throttle around a curve and tap the brake to initiate a drift around a corner.

Otherwise, release the gas to coast, slow a bit, then press again to gain speed.

A good tip is to release the gas before a turn, gently apply the brakes then turn and reapply the gas.

In freedrive use the handbrake a lot to get used to it. Use the handbrake when the normal brakes just aren't enough.

Once you win a few races you can get some upgrades to customise your car like a lighter chassis and different tyres which will improve handling.

I use the gamepad and for awhile I had a real hard time controlling it. I was crashing everywhere. I found practice and a set of track tires helped greatly.

olimpia84

Finally got around to play this game. People kept saying how this is pretty much Burnout Paradise 2 with cops so I was excited since I loved that game but man, the cars handle much different in this game (for the worse). I was expecting more tight handling and less drifting but then again I'm only 15 minutes into the game so I should probably fool around with the tires and other mods =/

Other than that, game looks great and it has a pretty good soundtrack.

Krakatoa

Finally got around to play this game. People kept saying how this is pretty much Burnout Paradise 2 with cops so I was excited since I loved that game but man, the cars handle much different in this game (for the worse). I was expecting more tight handling and less drifting but then again I'm only 15 minutes into the game so I should probably fool around with the tires and other mods =/

Other than that, game looks great and it has a pretty good soundtrack.

Yeah I had an issue with the steering as well at the start. It seemed to lag a bit when turning. I kept at it though and now I don't really notice it.

I am loving the rock steady frame rate and visuals.

VanWinkle

Played a little of it so far. Beautiful game and I love the gamepad functionality and interface. For some reason no analog triggers felt very odd and made it harder for me to play even though I've only played the game on Vita prior to this. Maybe I'm used triggers on racers being analog with consoles. I don't know. I don't want to use right analog stick. I was never abig fan of that control method. Oh well. Still a great game.

olimpia84

Yeah I had an issue with the steering as well at the start. It seemed to lag a bit when turning. I kept at it though and now I don't really notice it.

I am loving the rock steady frame rate and visuals.

Yeah, I'm starting to get used to the handling which is good considering I'm only an hour or so into the game. Finished a couple of the easy races and destroyed some fences and billboards. So far, it's great fun.

Up to 800K or so speed points, pushing for a million in the next day or two. Some of those speed run tracks are just stupid hard, spent way too much time retrying them.

JCH!

I haven't done any of the Most Wanted events yet but holy crap Across the World is awesome. Best event so far, love the part in the tunnels under the city. Just got a 4.42 (or something like that) with the Zonda R. I hope the Most Wanted events deliver.

I haven't had locks on exit since I started exiting only when the game is suspended in its own (+) menu.

Got to try that, thanks.

I believe I had hard locks on other instances as well though, not just on exiting.

For example last night I left the "idle" sequence (beautiful btw - especially on a 5.1 setup) running for a couple of minutes and when I tried to resume it locked.

Other than the hard locks, which I hope get fixed, it's really an amazing game/port.

Edit: Hated the digital triggers the first couple of races but after that (+ a couple of car upgrades) it 'clicked'. Smart use of brake/gas when turning/drifting is the key. This might sound stupid to some, but I think digital triggers suit the game's arcade style much better - it's just trickier :p

PetrCobra

Well, digital, since I'm using the Gamepad (I don't have a Pro Controller yet). It is very strange not having manual control of my speed.

Just a heads up - Pro controller does not have analogue triggers. I guess you can use an analogue throttle on the Gamepad as well - using the right stick.

Oh shit this one is hard to land on near the airplane graveyard was my guess how did I miss it

edit: DID IT there is enough space here to add more cars later

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pardon my ignorance, but what are you guys referring to when you talk about digital vs analog acceleration? I'm deciding if I should buy this or not (the controls on the Vita were too floatly for me, but I absolutely loved the open world racing).

Berg

You can in fact use both analogue throttle and brake using both sticks and then use motion for steering

I would LOVE to see someone use this method and be reallllyy good at it. I would love it to be me, but I'm having trouble just controlling the car with the analog sticks.

Skyzard

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, but what are you guys referring to when you talk about digital vs analog acceleration? I'm deciding if I should buy this or not (the controls on the Vita were too floatly for me, but I absolutely loved the open world racing).

Digital = max speed / no speed [triggers are either pressed down, or not at all]
Anologue controls for acceleration = more control over acceleration. [tip the stick up gently for gentle acceleration etc]

Pissed me off they didn't add the option to use analogue control on the Vita's right stick, I barely ever look around when driving.

It doesn't necessarily REMOVE some of the game's challenge. It only gives options for those who don't want to bang their heads against the wall. Particularly in some of the later challenges.

Berg

Digital = max speed / no speed [triggers are either pressed down, or not at all]
Anologue controls for acceleration = more control over acceleration. [tip the stick up gently for gentle acceleration etc]

Pissed me off they didn't add the option to use analogue control on the Vita's right stick, I barely ever look around when driving.

Sorry for my ignorance, but when exactly would you need to slowly accelerate? and to go around sharp turns, i tap gas to slightly slow down, isn't that the same?

majik13

Sorry for my ignorance, but when exactly would you need to slowly accelerate? and to go around sharp turns, i tap gas to slightly slow down, isn't that the same?

it is basically the same, as tapping gas, like what we did in every console racer before the GameCube. Analog is just a bit more technical for serious racers. Its more like a gas pedal than an on off button.

IMO I feel analog triggers have too little give to actually be used effectively. and most people just tap them full on full off regardless.

Krakatoa

Pretty good review. I love the way IGN encourages the reviewer to participate in the comments below the review. It helps them explain the reasoning for comments/score.

Skyzard

Banned

I think when you are going uncomfortably fast but don't want to decelerate as fast as letting go acceleration completely would. Say you are going around a corner and can't see oncoming traffic. You want to maintain your drift but don't want to risk drifting too far onto the other lane. At the moment you have to repeatedly tap acceleration to do the same thing, which is more effort and harder to predict the effects of. [sorry just noticed you mentioned that in your post].

It won't affect everybody. Somepeople won't know the difference and just press full speed or no speed + brakes anyway but if you're a racing fan you'll definitely appreciate the extra control and predictability.

In the lamborghini aventador, full speed is brutal for a lot of the roads and it sort of kills immersion to just tap acceleration the whole time hah. - You can also press brakes + gas.

Can mess up your path on long curved roads.

---it's not a huge deal especially since it is quite arcade (with quite heavy cars), I just like racing games a lot and would appreciate the option.

it is basically the same, as tapping gas, like what we did in every console racer before the GameCube. Analog is just a bit more technical for serious racers. Its more like a gas pedal than an on off button.

IMO I feel analog triggers have too little give to actually be used effectively. and most people just tap them full on full off regardless.

Yeah as majik13 said above, tapping is basically the same - only slightly less speedy/ consistent (once you've gotten used to it). Still, always nicer with more control...

Top Bottom