• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss isn't the hardest mandatory boss

Nikodemos

Anachronox's Mephadin Doorlord. If your your party didn't have a very specific composition, he was invincible. Once his hitpoints had dropped to around 25%, he would unleash a mass attack that instantly killed your party. The trick to beating him was
to bring along two party members with stun attacks, and alternate between their abilities in order to keep him permalocked
. He was not connected in any way to the story; all he did was guard some (admittedly desirable) high-level loot.

Another one is Nessie from Wizardry 8. When you reach her you're still not very high in levels, plus you are handicapped by the location: your fire spells don't work because you fight her underwater. She has a humongous amount of hitpoints, a ton of resistances and hits like a concrete truck.

c0Zm1c

Assuming the tactics for making these battles easier aren't yet known by a new player, Varesh Ossa would arguably be harder than Abaddon in Guild Wars: Nightfall. She can hit hard in Dervish form, and even harder as a Paragon when surrounded by allies. Meanwhile Abaddon is mostly a damage sponge.

Edit: in this respect, the Shiro/Undead Lich combo in Gate of Madness is harder than Abaddon too.

sakuori

Alduin from Skyrim. I guess he counts as the last boss from the main story.

idk, I've had a harder time beating The Ebony Warrior and Miraak than him.

FF13 with Orphan.

Hell I thought the hardest boss in FF13 was
Cid. The guy's special attack (something to do with seraphim or something) could damn near wipe you and he was quick with it.

Edit:
Alduin from Skyrim. I guess he counts as the last boss from the main story.

idk, I've had a harder time beating The Ebony Warrior and Miraak than him.

The difference is that Alduin's fight involves 3 other people to take aggro so it's not that hard to beat him without even taking damage, meteor shout notwithstanding. Those other two are 1v1 and that's basically one of the quickest difficulty spikes in Skyrim.

Bluenoser

Witcher 3 - I found Imlerith much harder than Eredin. Although the first time I fought Eredin, the game glitched and I got stuck on the boat, while he was on shore blasting me with spells, and I couldn't do anything.

On Deathmarch, it probably took me 20 tries to beat Imlerith.

McBryBry

8650217_f520.jpg

THIS MOTHERFUCKER RUINED FFX FOR ME

I was young. Couldn't beat him for weeks. Quit playing for like a month. Came back, beat him!

Almost.

I was winning, wearing him down. Then my mother, who had been yelling for me because we had to go somewhere, came down and shut it off. I haven't touched the game since.

I found Super Metroid's Phantoon more difficult than Mother Brain

Until I discovered that disabling Ice Beam and not using Super Missiles makes the thing more managable

Top Bottom