• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Director Takes on Cinema Sins

Mesoian

It's bad comedy. People are saying as such.

What are you arguing against? You can't say "it's not meant to be taken seriously" as a response if you're going to also allow for people to criticize it as comedy. In order to criticize something, you kinda sorta have to, yunno, take it a little bit seriously as you think on it.

Shitty comedians making shitty jokes don't get a free pass to stay and be shitty just because they're comedians. I don't get why people insist on arguing this point.

Why are the reasons "stupid"

Why are you reducing valid complaints against their comedy to "you're just jealous" as a dismissal?

What's the purpose of pursuing this line? What are you getting out of it

I mean, I hear you, but at the same time, this is the argument I bring up when I'm reminded that Big Bang Theory is one of hte highest grossing television shows of all time and has a spinoff coming out that is projected to do better and make more.

People are gonna like what they're gonna like. Just like people who like Sharknado movies or people who unironically love Swery51 games. We can piss into the wind all we want, but we just end up wet and smelly.

Why are the reasons "stupid"

Why are you reducing valid complaints against their comedy to "you're just jealous" as a dismissal?

What's the purpose of pursuing this line? What are you getting out of it

there are plenty of famous stupid people online. it's analogous to twitch streamers which are routinely considered not a job oh and like youtube stars. there is this air of jealously and bitterness in this realm that's hard to not ignore. like, people can hate on them and what not but people consider their success undeserved because they're awful at what they do.

Arkeband

Banned
CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.

A lot of the flaws they point out aren't even flaws.

They're about as useful, from a cinema study perspective, as YouTube Poop.

Sephzilla

Most of their sins aren't even funny because it's just them taking all context out of a scene or forgetting something else that happened in the movie. I want to say one of their Matrix videos had a sin that only existed because they weren't paying attention to the movie, because it wasn't even a funny sin.

Some of their earlier and shorter stuff were ok, lately they've been a real shitshow. I've got no problem with the director calling them out on their shoddy work since their schtick is doing the same thing to his movie. To be honest though I don't think anyone takes Cinema Sins seriously as an actual movie critic.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Someone showed me a couple CS videos once and I got the overwhelming sensation that the guy was purposefully missing the point in order to tally up sins half the time.

That's always been my take. There may be valid or serious criticisms from time to time but I never took CinemaSins to be anything more than a joke. People take that shit seriously enough that a director feels the need to comment? Really?

People are gonna like what they're gonna like.

Okay, but what good is that tautology as a response to a valid complaint?

You're basically arguing for people to not have opinions.

It's like the anti-conversation equasion. People love to bust it out on discussion forums like it serves any real purpose.

there is this air of jealously and bitterness in this realm that's hard to not ignore.

It's pretty fucking easy, though.

Mesoian

there are plenty of famous stupid people online. it's analogous to twitch streamers which are routinely considered not a job oh and like youtube stars. there is this air of jealously and bitterness in this realm that's hard to not ignore. like, people can hate on them and what not but people consider their success undeserved because they're awful at what they do.

Adding to that, it's kind of fucked up when people who make their money making easily digestible vapid toothless entertainment get mad at other people for making easily digestable vapid toothless entertainment because it might take the piss out of their easily digestable vapid toothless entertainment.

NONE of this, Cinema Sins, Kong Skull Island, will be remembered in the annals of fine cinema. It doesn't have to be. None of it is that important. And that's okay.

Okay, but what good is that tautology as a response to a valid complaint?

You're basically arguing for people to not have opinions.

It's like the anti-conversation equasion. People love to bust it out on discussion forums like it serves any real purpose.

It's pretty fucking easy, though.

I mean, your valid complaint is that they're not funny. Other people in this thread say they are. Who's wrong?

It's all opinions. I'm sure someone out there thinks Storks is the best movie of all time but that doesn't mean I need to buy it on bluray just as much as I can't nuke the negatives from orbit.

Some of their earlier and shorter stuff were ok, lately they've been a real shitshow. I've got no problem with the director calling them out on their shoddy work since their schtick is doing the same thing to his movie. To be honest though I don't think anyone takes Cinema Sins seriously as an actual movie critic.

My fiancé used to work with a guy who, when she'd mention liking literally any movie, would pull up the Cinema Sins video on his phone and try to make her watch it with him so as to prove her wrong.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
What? Is this a common belief? I enjoy Cinema Sins and I've never gotten the impression it was anything other than tongue-in-cheek fun. Do people really think the guy thinks good movies are made bad by the stuff he points out for comedy purposes?

I have seen people both here and IRL parrot their stupid shit. I mostly just don't think it's funny cuz it doesn't have anything to say.

They can think what they want, but I can also think it sucks

Never liked cinema sins. Never found any of it funny either. Honest trailers is better.

Those are hit and miss too but they are much better written and usually way funnier than Cinema Sins. The Guardians of the Galaxy Honest Trailer is hilarious.

I remember Film Critic Hulk wrote a great piece on CinemaSin's lazy criticism and their fanbase failing to understand that it ts intended to be comedy/satire

A lot of the flaws they point out aren't even flaws.

They're about as useful, from a cinema study perspective, as YouTube Poop.

Thats a pretty reasonable approximation of CinemaSins

Fancolors

I get that the stupid nitpicks are part of the joke, and while I don't find them funny I get why someone would, but I dislike Cinema Sins (and most caustic Youtube film critics to a cetain extent) because I often find people who shit talk movies without even having watched them.

Fury451

Banned
Cinema Sins is lazy criticism and lazy comedy. It's cool if you like it, but they're intentional missing of the point or out of context stuff just for a joke or to pad out the video is incredibly annoying.

Director is right on this one.

I genuinely cannot see any entertainment or critical value in CinemaSins. Maybe if their videos were a minute or two max, they'd be good for a quick laugh, but 20-30 minutes?! 20-30 minutes of just quick cuts to a ringing bell? How can any sane person deal with that on a frequent basis?

Stuff like Honest Trailers I get. It's actual jokes, and it's like two minutes.

dabig2

I only ever watch Cinemasins when I'm drunk and/or high. Though I usually only limit it to movies that I know he will especially hate like Transformers or the F&F movies.

Then again I did like the one with Citizen Kane.

Fuchsdh

This just makes the director look petty. You can still hug the Rotten Tomatoes score and the worldwide gross and feel vindicated that way, so why are you going on about this?

Someone showed me a couple CS videos once and I got the overwhelming sensation that the guy was purposefully missing the point in order to tally up sins half the time.

That seems to be the case, but it's presented in this really pedantic, authoritative way it's like being trapped in a conversation with the most joyless kind of nerd.

B33

Banned
Cinema Sins sucks ass.

It's not funny, the criticisms are reductive and awful, and the entire thing is mean-spirited.

It teaches people to watch movies in an antagonistic way that ignores how the medium works.

This just makes the director look petty. You can still hug the Rotten Tomatoes score and the worldwide gross and feel vindicated that way, so why are you going on about this?
Nah.

Sony

Nintendo
If you want to know why CinemaSins are leeches, watch "everything wrong with everything with" videos by YouTube channel "bobvids". The "we're joking bro" attitude falls flat and is an easy way for them to hide behind their failings.

Mesoian

My fiancé used to work with a guy who, when she'd mention liking literally any movie, would pull up the Cinema Sins video on his phone and try to make her watch it with him so as to prove her wrong.

I mean, that guy is a bad person. Although...

If you want to know why CinemaSins are leeches, watch "everything wrong with everything with" videos by YouTube channel "bobvids". The "we're joking bro" attitude falls flat and is an easy way for them to hide behind their failings.

A lot of people in this thread would do the same...

Adding to that, it's kind of fucked up when people who make their money making easily digestible vapid toothless entertainment get mad at other people for making easily digestable vapid toothless entertainment because it might take the piss out of their easily digestable vapid toothless entertainment.

NONE of this, Cinema Sins, Kong Skull Island, will be remembered in the annals of fine cinema. It doesn't have to be. None of it is that important. And that's okay.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you've made a feature film, any feature film; shit, Michael Bay can even get in on this. Then you've contributed more to society than CinemaSins.

I genuinely cannot see any entertainment or critical value in CinemaSins. Maybe if their videos were a minute or two max, they'd be good for a quick laugh, but 20-30 minutes?

I put them on and listen to them when I can't fall asleep. The guy's smooth voice and tone usually puts me to sleep within 15 minutes or so. I am not joking.

I mean, your valid complaint is that they're not funny. Other people in this thread say they are. Who's wrong?

What?

Why are you looking at the discussion as a win/loss prospect in the first place as opposed to a place where opinions/arguments are being shared?

This is part of what I'm getting at.

You're basically advocating for people essentially just... not sharing their opinion because someone else will have another one and therefore there's no point to having yours, or sharing it ever.

that doesn't make any sense.

Sephzilla

Nah, I don't think a Hollywood director pointing out basic things like continuity and editing style to someone who clearly doesn't understand either of those things is being petty.

Fuchsdh

Why would I want to watch a less-entertaining 15 minute video that pokes holes at another 15-minute video people say isn't funny

Also, if your argument is that they are nitpicky clickbait, starting things off with dumb nitpicks isn't exactly appealing to my charitable side.

Ultimately, I don't get the Cinema Sins hate. If you don't like it, ignore it. Just like Bobby Robert's whole schtick feels like a guy who lives in the back of a comic book shop, and I don't post videos complaining about him.

Mesoian

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you've made a feature film, any feature film; shit, Michael Bay can even get in on this. Then you've contributed more to society than CinemaSins.

I mean, yes. You are correct.

That doesn't really negate my point but, I agree with you.

Mesoian

What?

Why are you looking at the discussion as a win/loss prospect in the first place as opposed to a place where opinions/arguments are being shared?

This is part of what I'm getting at.

You're basically advocating for people essentially just... not sharing their opinion because someone else will have another one and therefore there's no point to having yours, or sharing it ever.

that doesn't make any sense.

I suppose I just don't see where the conversation can go beyond and a traditional skub antiskub yelling contest, especially when most of the opinions arguments are "fuck that guy!", "No fuck THAT guy!"

But sure...I guess we can keep doing that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They deliberately get facts wrong and ignore source material just because they know it will irk people.

CinemaSins isn't criticism, it's comedy. Rifftrax for movies that might never get them.

In a sort of jokey not really way.

Like, do you think John Rolfe is doing things to be authoritative? I think people forget that CS is trying to be funny more than it is trying to be a critic. That's why I don't get the "Everything Great About..." channel which feels like it started not understanding the joke, and ended up being successful in it's own right.

So the director is just butthurt at this point then?

kiguel182

What are you arguing against? You can't say "it's not meant to be taken seriously" as a response if you're going to also allow for people to criticize it as comedy. In order to criticize something, you kinda sorta have to, yunno, take it a little bit seriously as you think on it.

Shitty comedians making shitty jokes don't get a free pass to stay and be shitty just because they're comedians. I don't get why people insist on arguing this point.

But that’s not what the director is saying? He is taking it seriously as movie criticism when Cinemasins isn’t movie criticism.

They nitpick movies for the sake of nitpicking. If you your response is “actually that’s not valid criticism” then you are missing the point. If you don’t think it’s funny then sure, makes sense.

Tankard

CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.

I believed that until i listened to their podcast, they can sure nitpick their movies.

Also, to the director, make better movies and it's gonna be ok.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Even if I agreed that "is the point", why on earth would anyone want to sit down for 20 minutes to watch that?

I think a lot of their videos are decently funny. Some jokes fall flat, but seeing things you missed in movies or just accept as "normal" when they are anything but is kind of fun. Especially if you've seen a movie 5 times, and never noticed some of this stuff. It's like a deconstruction of the movie.

Why would I want to watch a less-entertaining 15 minute video that pokes holes at another 15-minute video people say isn't funny

Also, if your argument is that they are nitpicky clickbait, starting things off with dumb nitpicks isn't exactly appealing to my charitable side.

Ultimately, I don't get the Cinema Sins hate. If you don't like it, ignore it. Just like Bobby Robert's whole schtick feels like a guy who lives in the back of a comic book shop, and I don't post videos complaining about him.

This is just as mean-spirited as I'd expect from someone defending CinemaSins, and simultaneously manages to be a very succinct argument against CinemaSins. Like, really, bravo.

I suppose I just don't see where the conversation can go

Because you're looking at it solely as a thing you can "win." You're even calling it a contest. But it's not a contest.

"I don't know why you share your opinion because someone else has a different one so what's the point" is like... why enter a conversation at all at that point, dude?

Like, what?

But that's not what the director is saying? He is taking it seriously as movie criticism when Cinemasins isn't movie criticism.

They nitpick movies for the sake of nitpicking. If you your response is ”actually that's not valid criticism" then you are missing the point. If you don't think it's funny then sure, makes sense.

He's also criticizing it for being shitty jokes as well as being taken by its viewers as criticism.

Also you don't get to just say "this isn't criticism" when it is. At its core, it's criticizing film. That it's trying to do so humorously isn't really a shield from that basic truth.

Bronx-Man

Banned
HEY YOU GUYS ITS JUST A JOKE SO BECAUSE ITS A JOKE YOU CAN'T CALL IT OUT BECAUSE JOKES ARE UN CRITICIZABLE YOU KNOW STOP CARING SO MUCH YOU THINK TOO MUCH TRY CARING ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT LOL ITS JUST A JOKE WHY SO SRS LOL STOP TAKING JOKES SO PERSONA—Sharon please, you don't know what its like here in this apartment by myself I wake up alone and it smells like crab downstairs I just want to see the kids again please can't you just forgi—
I'll be waiting in the mail for my royalties.

inky

CinemaSins sucks ass. Spotting insignificant continuity errors is probably the only thing they do right.

Top Bottom