• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

Duo queued with Owzers. Phew, got disc and rejoined in time. Gonna need to up this match. That was hilarious and scary.

LiK

Blizzard was trying to find a way to keep you from winning.

I would've been seriously pissed off if I couldn't rejoin. Probably would've made me quit for the rest of the week, lol. But we won and it made up for the losses. We should duo queue more in the future.

Mutombo

actually won a 5 v 6 game on nepal! Was doing really well with a winston (three gold medals and a silver) but that was only because a zenyatta and a lucio got my back and I could always jump in, kill, and jump out again. Someone on my team switched to mei which worked really well too.

Hey! After losing a bunch of matches playing with my silver friend I'm Mid gold! What can I say?

kurahador

Played as Roadhog and I can't even kill a single enemy during payload on defend.
Choose Reaper instead, killed everyone, drive them back and we all camp at their respawn point and won the game.

Blizzard pls.

Banzai

I only got 5 SR for a win with even team averages yesterday. Very weird. I could have been up by 20 SR that day if had gotten a standard 20, instead I only went from 2800 to 2805 yesterday.
Climbing to Diamond will take a long time this way lol.

_Legacy_

I only got 5 SR for a win with even team averages yesterday. Very weird. I could have been up by 20 SR that day if had gotten a standard 20, instead I only went from 2800 to 2805 yesterday.

I saw a very interesting video the other day, basically explaining how SR system works. I didn't know if you win a game with a character you barely with, you'll typically get more SR. If you win with a character you play quite often, when compared to the average of people playing the same hero around the same level, the amount you gain is based on that performance. This explains a lot for me and proof in the pudding was last night, I played Torb on Horizon, we won and I got around 35 SR for it. I rarely ever get around that much.

The only time I ever had 10-12 SR gain was when I pretty much got carried playing Rein and was just blocking damage for team and not much else. I probably could have switched off to something that would contribute more but we were playing well and I didn't want to affect the team comp. We had a Genji that was near-godlike and he just destroyed the enemy team over and over.

Fugu

I just played one and got two SR for the win.

Two!

LiK

Reaper is shockingly playable.

Extremely good in KOTH maps now. Just rush in into a team fight and dominate. I haven't been able to pick him in Comp cuz no one likes to play Support.

Weird. That sounds extremely frustrating.

Banzai

I saw a very interesting video the other day, basically explaining how SR system works. I didn't know if you win a game with a character you barely with, you'll typically get more SR. If you win with a character you play quite often, when compared to the average of people playing the same hero around the same level, the amount you gain is based on that performance. This explains a lot for me and proof in the pudding was last night, I played Torb on Horizon, we won and I got around 35 SR for it. I rarely ever get around that much.

The only time I ever had 10-12 SR gain was when I pretty much got carried playing Rein and was just blocking damage for team and not much else. I probably could have switched off to something that would contribute more but we were playing well and I didn't want to affect the team comp. We had a Genji that was near-godlike and he just destroyed the enemy team over and over.

Interesting. I thought one-tricks get huge gains too?
So could I in theory switch to a hero i never play right before I win and rank up that way? That can't be right.

I just played one and got two SR for the win.

Two!

Ridiculous. If only this whole thing was more transparent

_Legacy_

Interesting. I thought one-tricks get huge gains too?
So could I in theory switch to a hero i never play right before I win and rank up that way? That can't be right.

Ridiculous. If only this whole thing was more transparent

One-tricks, off-metas apprently are good. Which makes sense when I played Torb last night. Thinking back, I won 30+ SR playing on my alt with Sombra as well so there must be some sort of truth in it.

LiK

Supports in general gain more SR if you're good with them. Off-metas are only worth playing if you're not shit with them. You need to still play better than most players for the benefit.

Blu(e)

I haven't played in a while but did they buff Sombra's damage?

I only ask because someone mentioned that it was dumb of Blizzard to give her that damage buff after I killed like three people.

It felt the same to me.

LiK

I haven't played in a while but did they buff Sombra's damage?

I only ask because someone mentioned that it was dumb of Blizzard to give her that damage buff after I killed like three people.

It felt the same to me.

No buffs to her damage.

People are just playing better with her.

Blu(e)

No buffs to her damage.

People are just playing better with her.

DaYzMbBm.jpg

I want the patch they're playing on.

Actually I don't. Always felt her damage was fine.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
One thing I'd love they do with Sombra is giving her the ability to hack while invisible(and of course lose that invisibility right after you finish hacking), instead of losing invisibility as soon as you begin to hack.

Would that make her too OP?

I stop counting the number of times I tried to hack a Torb's turret just so it automatically shoot at me as soon as I try doing that. Shooting it is just better at this point. Not to mention player's with good awareness can just shoot/kill you as soon as your Sombra start doing noise when she hacks.

Geneijin

A Mercy who only heals their party chat team mates.

This game...
A Mercy who wastes revives on their party members.

I've lost plenty of points and games because of that :lol

One thing I'd love they do with Sombra is giving her the ability to hack while invisible(and of course lose that invisibility right after you finish hacking), instead of losing invisibility as soon as you begin to hack.

I stop counting the number of times I tried to hack a Torb's turret just so it automatically shoot at me as soon as I try doing that. Shooting it is just better at this point. Not to mention player's with good awareness can just kill you as soon as your Sombra start doing noise when she does hacking.
She'd be really oppressive and there'd be almost zero counter play to it. You need to damage her to stop the hack after all.

LiK

I stop counting the number of times I tried to hack a Torb's turret just so it automatically shoot at me as soon as I try doing that. Shooting it is just better at this point. Not to mention player's with good awareness can just shoot/kill you as soon as your Sombra start doing noise when she hacks.

1000x yes.

Owzers

I would've been seriously pissed off if I couldn't rejoin. Probably would've made me quit for the rest of the week, lol. But we won and it made up for the losses. We should duo queue more in the future.

I don't end up duoing too much, though since PS4 Gaf has abandoned the game it's possible I'll get more chances when Pinku isn't playing.

Me and a friend made the mistake of midday overwatch, it's like a unique combination of the people whose lives are defined by the game and those just pissing about, a cocktail of disaster.

I need a new character to regain some love here.

_Legacy_

I don't know about the rest of you but I've been having some tough matches while running comp as a two. Might need to find another regular platinum or diamond player on XB1, finding it hard to carry teams.

Went 2-4 last night and two of those losses could have been wins if people stuck to their roles. Had a Genji that wouldn't flank and spent more time near the payload than harass the supports and he didn't even bother find the enemy teleporter.

Another game we had an enemy Pharah getting away with murder, despite us having a soldier and a McCree, it wasn't even a perma-Pharamercy and they still didn't do enough to lock her down.

Finally we had a Roadhog and another random chasing a kill whilst we nearly got the payload to point A in Gibraltar, they both walked off the payload to the room near where the enemy spawn and finish off a kill, it was overtime and we lost as a result.

I wonder what today has in store for me. The above is stuff I'd expect to see at gold level and below. Just seems that people need to be focused a bit more. I might try joining game chat rather than team chat, maybe the randos will listen.

I can confirm Torbjorn on that new map on defense works great.
Indeed. I have a nice spot before the first checkpoint... just stupid against a fair number of teams. And if you have an ally Mercy paying attention to you every now and again to keep you going, it's almost lockdown.

Nimby

Banned
Eurogamer did an article about the woes of Overwatch eSports.

Quote from the article:
"No we haven't given up, we're committed to Overwatch," says Ninjas in Pyjamas' Chahine.

"We just extended our Overwatch team for two more years and are fully committed in Overwatch. We invest and provide them with the same resources as any other team."

A few weeks after this interview was conducted, Ninjas in Pyjamas dropped its Overwatch team.

Veelk

Banned
Eurogamer did an article about the woes of Overwatch eSports.

Quote from the article:

You know, I think that atleast part of the problem of Esports is that it's star members have names like Ninjas in Pyjamas. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it undercuts the seriousness a tad.

Chance

Nothing worse than this and solo res'. Might as well stay off support

Don't knock solo rezzes. They can swing pushes harder than 5Xs, if it's the right hero in the right place at the right time.

Besides, isn't the whole boosted Mercy hullabaloo about Mercy mains who hold rez exclusively for a 4-5x that may never come?

Gorillaz

Don't knock solo rezzes. They can swing pushes harder than 5Xs, if it's the right hero in the right place at the right time.

Besides, isn't the whole boosted Mercy hullabaloo about Mercy mains who hold rez exclusively for a 4-5x that may never come?
It's more them not knowing game sense then anything. If only there was an army of Anti's running around as mercy mains

LAM09

I'm not knocking solo res at crucial times, but ones where the Mercy is part of a duo and specifically revives the other person only aka Pharah/Mercy.

Chance

I'm not knocking solo res at crucial times, but ones where the Mercy is part of a duo and specifically revives the other person only aka Pharah/Mercy.

Well that's douchey. I mostly 2-stack with my brother (D.Va one trick) and he knows I'll never solo rez him like, ever. If he was actually reliable about protecting teammates, that'd be one thing...

LAM09

Well that's douchey. I mostly 2-stack with my brother (D.Va one trick) and he knows I'll never solo rez him like, ever. If he was actually reliable about protecting teammates, that'd be one thing...

If only most people in stacks thought like you.

Wow I never seen that happen before, any time I get a disconnect I rubberband like crazy before.

Owzers shittin all over them with winston.

Weird, my DCs always look like that, I've never rubber-banded.

Owzers Winston and LiK Zen is what you hope for- and very rarely get- when you get paired with a 2-stack.

Nimby

Banned
You know, I think that atleast part of the problem of Esports is that it's star members have names like Ninjas in Pyjamas. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it undercuts the seriousness a tad.

That's not really specific to Overwatch, since NiP is an organization and has teams for multiple games.

Lack of event promotion is probably the biggest issue, but outside of that the comp version of OW is very confusing to new/casual players. You don't get to see exciting plays often, unless you think it is exciting to see D.Va hold right-click and spray in your general direction.

There's a lot of other issues too, it's frustrating to look at this game and see so many issues that make it unfun to play/watch, and remember the time period before 1HL was introduced.

LiK

Wow I never seen that happen before, any time I get a disconnect I rubberband like crazy before.

Owzers shittin all over them with winston.

Owzers Winston and LiK Zen is what you hope for- and very rarely get- when you get paired with a 2-stack.

I've only rubber banded when I'm lagging. It usually happens when I'm playing with guys from other regions.

I think I got disc cuz stupid Comcast decided at it would be a good time to reset something late night. We were playing around 1:30AM.

Yeah that is wierd.

Lulz, no dout

I usually get the famous Hanzo/Widow duo.

Someone in another thread linked a mega64 video of dsnn...so from now on I'm gonna refer to solo Q as the dark souls of overwatch comp.

I've only rubber banded when I'm lagging. It usually happens when I'm playing with guys from other regions.

I think I got disc cuz stupid Comcast decided at it would be a good time to reset something late night. We were playing around 1:30AM.

My DCs were always caused by Comcast pushing through an update that reset my router. Unfortunately there was some bug that made them retry the update all day every Sunday. No fix.
FiOS hasn't had one DC since I switched a few months ago.

LiK

My DCs were always caused by Comcast pushing through an update that reset my router. Unfortunately there was some bug that made them retry the update all day every Sunday. No fix.
FiOS hasn't had one DC since I switched a few months ago.

Yea, I feel like Comcast does that at night. But I never know when.

That makes sense as the last time it happened I was playin with someone from PR.

I feel your pain with Comcast, I had Fios before I moved but it's unavailable here.

Comcast is garbage compared to Fios, it's nite and day.

Top Bottom