• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

That makes sense as the last time it happened I was playin with someone from PR.

I feel your pain with Comcast, I had Fios before I moved but it's unavailable here.

Comcast is garbage compared to Fios, it's nite and day.

I haven't bothered switching to FiOS. It's in my area but what's the installation like?

I'm too used to some of the perks of Comcast so I haven't switched.

I haven't bothered switching to FiOS. It's in my area but what's the installation like?

The major difference is Fios gives you a dedicated line connected strait to your house.

They do need to install a few things, 1 on the outside of your house and one inside.

With Comcast you share a line with the whole neighborhood I believe.

Nothing worse than this and solo res'. Might as well stay off support

As others have said, a solo res can turn the tide. If you've got a Reaper or a Rein who are just putting in a ton of work during a team battle you can absolutely turn the tide with a solo.

As soon as the odds change we all know what happens. You know that feeling you get when you're racing back from spawn to Point A on a 2CP map and you're staring at the kill feed? As soon as you see one of your teammates go down you know it'll be dominoes. Solo rezzing you could have stopped that.

Fios is totally worth it. $80 for install if you don't do the TV/Phone/Internet package, but the prices are better than Comcast and it is rock-solid.
As Deicide says, there's no interference from high neighborhood usage like with Comcast.
The install took about 45 mins, and works through your existing cable outlets if you get 100/100 or below. If higher they have to rewire with CAT-5.

Just curious, what perks does Comcast offer?

LiK

The major difference is Fios gives you a dedicated line connected strait to your house.

They do need to install a few things, 1 on the outside of your house and one inside.

With Comcast you share a line with the whole neighborhood I believe.

Fios is totally worth it. $80 for install if you don't do the TV/Phone/Internet package, but the prices are better than Comcast and it is rock-solid.
As Deicide says, there's no interference from high neighborhood usage like with Comcast.
The install took about 45 mins, and works through your existing cable outlets if you get 100/100 or below. If higher they have to rewire with CAT-5.

Just curious, what perks does Comcast offer?

Good to know. I'll consider it.

Chance

Solo rez is usually the most optimal in organized play:v

I've gotten some weeeird PotGs off solo rezzes lately. A Rein who then gives me 4 assists, a Hanzo carry who gets me 3...

Still have no idea why that Hanzo didn't just get PotG for 3 picks.

LAM09

I'm on the point with 4 DPSs.

Me: "Dude wtf are you doing all the way over there?"

Him: "I'm flanking, man! That's what D.Va does!"

Me: "..."

Lol

As others have said, a solo res can turn the tide. If you've got a Reaper or a Rein who are just putting in a ton of work during a team battle you can absolutely turn the tide with a solo.

As soon as the odds change we all know what happens. You know that feeling you get when you're racing back from spawn to Point A on a 2CP map and you're staring at the kill feed? As soon as you see one of your teammates go down you know it'll be dominoes. Solo rezzing you could have stopped that.

I'm not knocking solo res at crucial times, but ones where the Mercy is part of a duo and specifically revives the other person only aka Pharah/Mercy is what I was getting at.

Cappa

Banned
I'm without internet all week since I'm moving across the country and long story short no overwatch until at least next week. :(

At least I'll be on 300mbps instead of the 100mbps I had before.

Rez is pretty good if your team can get the higher number of players in team fight, like for example when someone from your team trades, you rez that person and it's 6vs5. Sometimes I also use it even if no one could get a kill and got picked instead, just to not have to wait 15s or more until it's a fight with even numbers again. Too much time lost.

Just don't do solo rez for Widow.

I do it all the time in QP or MH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Alucrid

Banned
i had a game where someone dc'd and then reconnects like 2 minutes later. then in overtime i dc. but when i log back in i don't get a rejoin option, didn't get a temp ban and only lost like ~20 pts. i guess even if the dc'd person comes back the ability to leave with no ban persists and you can't rejoin the game in that instance?

I'm getting really good at juggling between Mercy' Staff and Sidearm. It feels great when I'm healing somebody and a DPS tries to flank me only to get headshotted.

I'm just getting way more comfortable and confident with my Mercy plays now.

Chance

I'm getting really good at juggling between Mercy' Staff and Sidearm. It feels great when I'm healing somebody and a DPS tries to flank me only to get headshotted.

I'm just getting way more comfortable and confident with my Mercy plays now.

Now practice shooting while flying around with Guardian Angel. Always feels so badass.

Sec0nd

Throwers have been really stepping it up today. Have only experienced them a handful of times before, but I've managed to have 3 games ruined by throwers today.

Just came out of one game with this guy who was even called ZenyataOrIThrow or something. Instalocked Junkrat and after that started playing Widow. After swiftly losing the first round (Control) he turned on his mic stating (with this incredibly bratty voice) demanding he wanted a second healer or he was going to throw. I switched to Zen but in reality me and my team just didn't want to have anything to do with this guy so we stopped playing anyway.

Fucking throwers.

HiiiLife

Throwers have been really stepping it up today. Have only experienced them a handful of times before, but I've managed to have 3 games ruined by throwers today.

Just came out of one game with this guy who was even called ZenyataOrIThrow or something. Instalocked Junkrat and after that started playing Widow. After swiftly losing the first round (Control) he turned on his mic stating (with this incredibly bratty voice) demanding he wanted a second healer or he was going to throw. He switched to Zen but in reality me and my team just didn't want to have anything to do with this guy so we stopped playing anyway.

Fucking throwers.

Throw before the thrower. I like it.

exYle

Just came out of one game with this guy who was even called ZenyataOrIThrow or something. Instalocked Junkrat and after that started playing Widow. After swiftly losing the first round (Control) he turned on his mic stating (with this incredibly bratty voice) demanding he wanted a second healer or he was going to throw. He switched to Zen but in reality me and my team just didn't want to have anything to do with this guy so we stopped playing anyway.

Fucking throwers.

...there are worse things in this game than insta-lock Zenyattas.

Alucrid

Banned
got in one game where some kid was going crazy because we were losing. got in the next game with a three stack of really chill jamaicans. guess which game i won

Sec0nd

...there are worse things in this game than insta-lock Zenyattas.

He didn't pick Zen so that was funny. Only mentioned his name because it's even ridiculous that people even pick such a gamertag. That says enough about the players. It was on PS4 as well, so it's not like he can just change his name lol.

JHall

i feel like this game could really use an ESEA or FaceIt matchmaking system similar to CounterStrike. Comp this season has been a complete shitshow.

exYle

He didn't pick Zen so that was funny. Only mentioned his name because it's even ridiculous that people even pick such a gamertag. That says enough about the players. It was on PS4 as well, so it's not like he can just change his name lol.

Oh, well that's different.

Alucrid

Banned

you can also make infinite smurf accounts on psn though

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's time we can start reflecting on the last patch. Maybe it'll take some more time to figure out the changes, but the movement of reaper and roadhog on their win rates is intense.

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes

Sort by winrate, and filter by last week, Competitive, and whatever rank you want.

Ignoring the situational Sym/Torb. Reaper is now the first or second highest win rate in every rank.

Roadhog is 4th worst at best in Gold, and drops all the way down to absolute worst in Diamond and Masters.

Now practice shooting while flying around with Guardian Angel. Always feels so badass.

Lol I dabbled with that last night during a KotH game. We were winning and there was a brief lull after we captured the point. So I started to Pharmercy and switched out my gun and began popping stray DPS' while zipping back and forth.

I've got my zippy-zip shortcut to L2, my sidearm to R3, and my floaty to L1. All my essentials are super easy and quickly accessible :)

Edit:
I had a great game last night when a group of Rein and Zarya freaked out when my Mercy got a double kill lol

I just got slept by Ana and then booped by Lucio twice in the same round as Orisa on the indoor Nepal level.....

Such a dirty tactic on a tank if you can get your team to not wake up the sleeping tank. And I mean that in a good way.

Rez is more then getting those big numbers. If you're paying attention to the ebb and flow you'll know when the right time to rez is. We were on Nepal yesterday and our Rein was consistently leading our group and wrecking. I solo'd him cuz things were about to go south for us. Worked out well.

And I always want to be working towards a new ult rather then hoard for some potential outcome.

I don't even really have a rule. I just go by what feels right. Getting a x3 or x4 is a great mind fuck for the other team.

JWiLL

Banned
Me neither, at least not on PC.
Pooping rockets from a thousand miles away at an active fight is basically never ideal Pharah play and besides, I'm not sure it even makes sense for McCree to be able to kill her at that range.

Honestly I'm struggling to envision what situation you're imagining here where:

a - McCree is doing his minimum damage
b - Pharah is participating in a fight from a range at which McCree can only reasonably do minimum damage but where Pharah's participation is not just spamming
c - McCree doing minimum damage cannot be attributed to poor/unprepared positioning

Like yeah if McCree is coming out of spawn on Anubis attack and he's getting hit by a Pharah on the ledge, he really should do minimum damage. Similarly, if Pharah dives the back lines and McCree tries to cap her from Narnia then his poor positioning deserves to be punished.

If anything, high skill hitscans are too viable against Pharah when there's no Mercy in play, and her dependence on Mercy defines their awkward place in the meta.

I think you're taking it to a bit of an extreme here. The cut off for him having to 4 tap Pharah's head isn't that far away. You can test it in the practice range.

I agree that it's an odd one to really figure out though. The singular Pharah isn't the issue and McCree's problems have a lot more to do with lack of mobility in the dive meta.

I don't believe there's really an ideal solution.

_Legacy_

I don't even really have a rule. I just go by what feels right. Getting a x3 or x4 is a great mind fuck for the other team.

Yeah I wish you played with us sometimes, I've seen more than my fair share of greedy Mercys over the past few weeks. It's almost as if the Mercy player is willing more people on our team to die so she can bring us all back. Besides, she'll get ult back in no time so there is no need to hold onto it for too long.

LAM09

Nothing wrong with a solo res if it gives you the advantage back. I've been in a ton of games where a solo or two man res would have won us the game and the Mercy had to get greedy and lose it for us.

My comment is being taken out of context. I've posted above and on the previous page what I was getting at. Not solo rezzes in general, but Mercy's in a duo that only res their friend.

Yeah I wish you played with us sometimes, I've seen more than my fair share of greedy Mercys over the past few weeks. It's almost as if the Mercy player is willing more people on our team to die so she can bring us all back. Besides, she'll get ult back in no time so there is no need to hold onto it for too long.

I'll play. I don't have a mic tho. PSN: Berserking-Guts. It's a bad gamble to wait for an outcome for rez. As Mercy you're living on borrowed time against a good team. Dying while waiting to get that 'magical ult' is worse then if you just rezzed one person. I prefer to just concentrate on healing/buffing and if crap starts going down I ult.

I find Mercy is a bit of a multitasker too. I don't want to allocate concentration I should be using on heal juggling and situational awarness with rez delusions.

I'll take a good Mercy healer over an alright mercy rez anyday.

I've seen more than my fair share of greedy Mercys over the past few weeks. It's almost as if the Mercy player is willing more people on our team to die so she can bring us all back. Besides, she'll get ult back in no time so there is no need to hold onto it for too long.

People just think bigger, flashier numbers must obviously be better. There are only a few outcomes to greedy Mercy's...

A) The opponent is going to have the better positioning with your entire team attempting to get their bearings post-res . Good chance in this situation the opponent also just counter ressed 1 or 2 people and are no longer at a number disadvantage either. Supports are focused first and your team gets wiped.

B) Mercy allowed the opponent to build up a ton of ult meter off of kills, just so you can jump out from behind a wall to get a sick potg res, and then watch your entire team get wiped with said ults.

C) The enemy team already has ults and this happens:

giphy.gif

D) You get lucky and they didn't even have enough people on point to counter a two man res anyway. Enjoy that potg.

My comment is being taken out of context. I've posted above and on the previous page what I was getting at. Not solo rezzes in general, but Mercy's in a duo that only res their friend.

Ah.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lawbreakers has been a pretty good break for 'I need some new heroes to play'

I just wish it wasn't so ugly. Much better than Paladins though.

Moonkid

Got an ethernet cable with 90mbp/s, ah bliss. Might take today off Overwatch, feeling groggy from a night out. Good to see you had better games Lik!

antitrop

I never understood why people kept complaining about that. That was like the only time I ever saw her rez in spawn.

Mercy can spawn rez people on Anubis B or King's Row last point, but the team has to die in the little room behind the cap point. So that sucks and isn't useful.

Gibraltar is the only spawn rez that mattered, because the team could die on the objective and still get rez'd from spawn, contesting while being rez'd.

Anne

The Mercy spawn rez thing makes no fucking sense outside of Gibraltar. It changes literally nothing except for that.

Here is a nice video by a former Mercy main (Blinky), probably the best video anyone has done on this subject: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/6k21z9/the_state_of_mercy_a_video_by_blinky_a_former/?sort=new

I've been watching Blinky play Zen on Twitch for the last couple of weeks, and I love the guy, but this video flies in the face of just about every other GM/Top500 player I watch on Twitch. There are a ton of Mercys up there who were Diamond/Plat last season, and have iffy win-rates. And so many are actual One Tricks.

Blinky also is going to have a coronary soon if they don't nerf DVa's DM. I'm genuinely worried.

Top Bottom