• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails album! And more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Broken was recorded in secret because of contract issues with TVT. There is a reason why it is so harsh, brutal and angsty. I think the background story behind it, plus the music industry at the time, makes it easier to digest if you've never heard it before.
Oh, to make it clear I meant the new EP was disappointing after listening to Broken. I was always fond of Broken but not a huge fan, but listening to it now I appreciate the craft that went into it so much more. You could tell that was the moment where there was no doubt he was a genius in the production department. I think the only reason I compare these two EPs though is because of the notion of being able to get something nailed down in such a short playtime, and Broken is pretty remarkable in that respect.

With 2017 approacheth, I think it's apropos to listen to all of Year Zero.

Best line from the entire album, "There is bullet holes where my compassion used to be and there is violence in my heart"

Spaced33

Does anybody know if they sent out the links for those who bought The Fragile on vinyl? Got Deviations and the new EP but still missing that one.

Oneself

Does anybody know if they sent out the links for those who bought The Fragile on vinyl? Got Deviations and the new EP but still missing that one.
Same here but... more insulting, I had to contact them to get the links for the definitive edition and Deviations but only got the Deviations link in their answer.
So, I thanked them for the link explaining that I still haven't got the Definitive edition's link.
2 days later, I got a second reply from them with the Deviations link, again, and still no definitive edition link.

It's getting ridiculous. I'm waiting for a 3rd reply...

Listened to the new EP a few times. Think it's a step up in direction from Hesitation Marks, but just ok. With the exception of Burning Bright and ideas in Dear World, it mostly feels bland and forgettable.

Idk, it seems like TR is afraid of going that next step to some real hard electronic experimental stuff that he's only touched the tip of before. Even the most "aggressive" tracks are soft. For radio friendly tunes, this EP is a safe release.

Onto deviations!

Just back from vacation, and catching up on all the NIN news. Listened to the new EP, and not a huge fan. I've been listening to Nine Inch Nails since Pretty Hate Machine, and have trouble hearing this new stuff as having anything to do with the Broken/Fixed era.

So all these Fragile outtakes ... How do I get them? Is it vinyl-only for the time being? I'm hoping there's a digital source for them, because new tunes from that era is the thing I want most in this world.

Listened to the new EP a few times. Think it's a step up in direction from Hesitation Marks, but just ok. With the exception of Burning Bright and ideas in Dear World, it mostly feels bland and forgettable.

Idk, it seems like TR is afraid of going that next step to some real hard electronic experimental stuff that he's only touched the tip of before. Even the most "aggressive" tracks are soft. For radio friendly tunes, this EP is a safe release.

Onto deviations!

I don't think it's so much being radio friendly as it is being able to tap back into the mind frame of being so fucked up you're able to write music like Trent did in 1994 when his life was crazy. I mean, look at Ministry. Al is a total mess, you can't sustain that life, and that mentality and survive.

Trent either had to adapt or die, and thankfully he sorted himself out. It's an incredibly fine balance he must walk, because he and music are so intertwined that writing music may be connected to lots of different things he may try to keep away for the good of his health and soberness.

Shredderi

Onto deviations!

His song for Tetsuo the bullet man movie was pretty harsh sounding I think.

I've seen NIN live 3 times. Trent yells "Hey! Ho! Yeah! and Whoa!" alot during songs.

No arguments here.

I also listened to a Smash Mouth All Star rework where every note was played and sung in C, and someone on Tumblr said it was basically a NIN song. I also had trouble arguing against that.

Checking the NIN reddit it appears no one has gotten theirs yet nor a shipping notification. The store also got updated to say the component will ship in January 2017 instead of the first week of January.

BUT apparently someone might have found what the component will be.
Pretty neat.

So is everyone still listening to the new EP? I have to admit - I keep forgetting it exists. Love a couple songs off it, but I'm not returning to it as much as a typical NIN release. Hell, even Hesitation Marks got more play for me, and it's not even close.

bebop242

So is everyone still listening to the new EP? I have to admit - I keep forgetting it exists. Love a couple songs off it, but I'm not returning to it as much as a typical NIN release. Hell, even Hesitation Marks got more play for me, and it's not even close.

To be honest the last release that moved the needle for me was Year Zero. His later stuff just seems forgetable to me.

TheMan

same, haven't even bothered to listen to the whole thing. just wasnt feeling what i did listen to.

Checking the NIN reddit it appears no one has gotten theirs yet nor a shipping notification. The store also got updated to say the component will ship in January 2017 instead of the first week of January.

BUT apparently someone might have found what the component will be.
Pretty neat.
If that EP were hot, I'd get in on that physical component. It was fun getting involved during the YZ ARG, but I'll sit this one out and see what unfolds.

His song for Tetsuo the bullet man movie was pretty harsh sounding I think.
YES! Man, that track was superb.

bounchfx

The moment I knew that the NIN of my youth was dead.

same here. Hated With Teeth when it came out. Still don't particularly care for it even though a couple of the songs grew on me, it was nowhere near old NiN. unfortunately I haven't given him a chance since. I'll listen to this new stuff though out of curiosity, not hype. :\

I loved With Teeth when it came out (Sunspots and Beside You In Time are particularly amazing), and I love Year Zero even more.

I really enjoy the new EP, but I'm pretty hooked on the new RTJ album so that's kinda pushed it to one side.

I listen to the new EP daily. I love every NIN album though, so what do I know. Burning Bright is the best song of the year.

With Teeth and Hesitation marks are so underrated. Same goes for The Slip. Trent's never lost it, he just experimented with the sound more: stripping it down, adding some funk, etc.

I listen to the new EP daily. I love every NIN album though, so what do I know. Burning Bright is the best song of the year.

With Teeth and Hesitation marks are so underrated. Same goes for The Slip. Trent's never lost it, he just experimented with the sound more: stripping it down, adding some funk, etc.

I really enjoyed the Before The Flood soundtrack as well. Not official 'NIN' but still... I'm also a Mogwai fan, so hearing them filtered through Trent and Atticus's production is a joy.

ubique

Yeah there's something about this that makes it particularly forgettable to me

Kinda feels like he was leaving the Apple Music offices talking to other businessmen and the EP just fell from his pocket

jambo

Up on Google Music streaming too

xsSLL7G.png

Components still haven't shipped out? Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I still like the ep. I listen to Burning Bright probably daily, it sounds like something that could soundtrack Godzilla pulverizing a building or some shit. Branches/Bones is pretty fun too, kinda lukewarm still about the middle outside of She's Gone Away.

Yeah, February is almost over, and no sign of the physical component. Debating on emailing them for an updatell, but I doubt I'll get a satisfying answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom