• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales (2017) |OT| Might solve a mystery, or reboot history!

KptguyK.png

Welcome to the official thread for the new 2017 reboot of Ducktales! My first OT and thanks Peff for contributing the video links and extra cast members!

KsPsTkB.png

Ducktales is a show that premiered back in August with a "TV Movie" and is now airing on DisneyXD, done by Walt Disney Television Animation that tells the story of fledglings Huey, Duey, and Louie as they go on wild adventures with their Uncle Donald and Great Uncle Scrooge. They're joined by the plucky and adventurous Webby, her hard-boiled grandmother, Beakley (who works as Scrooge's secretary housekeeper), and the featherbrained, but always cheerful Launchpad McQuack who is also Scrooge's personal chauffeur (and a pilot apparently). You may or may not know about the original cartoon that first aired in 1987, but both this show and the old show actually originated in a comic book as far back as 1947 (Scrooge's first apparance) created by Cark Barks. The new cartoon sets out to be a whimsical concoction of this old comic as well as the cartoon with some modern sensibilities thrown in. The opening intro even has some striking similarities to Carl Barks' vintage artwork!

jzGgUxC.jpg

W2oiO0X.jpg

JqvdaGQ.png

One of the big highlights of this new series is how Disney has pulled out all the stops into hiring a STELLAR cast. Many people first scoffed at the idea that a new cast could replace the untouchables of the 1987 show, but once the first episode aired, they happily ate crow. I mean just look at these resumes from the Disney Press Site!

Disney has also posted resumes of the 3 guys leading production on the new show! They're no amateurs!

It's worth noting that Tony Anselmo is the only returning voice actor from the original voicing none other than Donald Duck!

bIKi70x.jpg

Mgrd6DK.png

Other characters confirmed to be cast and set to show up are:

Gyro Gearloose (voiced by Jim Rash)
Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera (voiced by Lin-Manuel Miranda)
Gladstone Gander (voiced by Paul F. Tompkins)
Flintheart Glomgold (voiced by Keith Ferguson)
Goldie O'Gilt (voiced by Allison Janney)
Ludwig Von Drake (voiced by Corey Burton)
Ma Beagle (voiced by beloved character actress Margo Martindale)
The Beagle Boys (voiced by Eric Bauza)
Mark Beaks (voiced by Josh Brener)

WCrTgyt.png

(Replace "tube" with "pak" if unavailable in your region)

Trailer
Meet Launchpad McQuack short
Theme Song Supercut with many surprise appearances!
Meet Huey! short
Donald's Birthday short
Meet Scrooge! short
Meet Mrs. Beakley! short
Meet Webby Vanderquack! short
360° Adventure: The Lost Key of Tralla La
2-episode premiere
Life is Full of Adventures with Aflac (Promo)
Main theme.
The cast sings the theme song
The classic.
The other classic.

5C0JrIP.png

Here, we'll list the currently known episodes and their airdate (hope you don't mind if I copy your post psxphile)

Saturday, September 30
“The Beagle Birthday Massacre!” (7:00 – 7:30 A.M. EDT)
After crashing Ma Beagle’s birthday party, Webby and new mysterious friend Lena must fight their way through Beagle Boy turf to get back home.

Saturday, October 7
“Terror of the Terra-firmians!” (8:00 – 8:30 A.M. EDT)
Huey and Webby’s disagreement over the existence of a mythic species leads the kids to explore an eerie abandoned subway tunnel, while Mrs. Beakley grows suspicious of Lena.

Saturday, October 14
“The House of the Lucky Gander!” (8:00 – 8:30 A.M. EDT)
Donald competes with his cousin Gladstone Gander to impress Louie at a mysterious resort in Macaw, while Scrooge tries to lure the kids away from the resort’s endless distractions.
*Paul F. Tompkins (“Bajillion Dollar Propertie$”) guest stars as Gladstone Gander, and B.D. Wong (“Mr. Robot”) guest stars as Toad Liu Hai.

Saturday, October 21
“The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!” (8:00 – 8:30 A.M. EDT)
Huey competes with Dewey for a coveted internship with Duckburg’s newest tech billionaire, Mark Beaks, while Scrooge and Glomgold team up to take this new competitor down.
*Josh Brener (“Silicon Valley”) guest stars as Mark Beaks.

Saturday, October 28
"The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!” (8:00 – 8:30 A.M. EDT)
In a lost pyramid, Louie interprets a pharaoh’s prophecy to his advantage, forcing Scrooge and Launchpad to convince a group of living mummies to rescue him.

Q7qhIGR.png

- Do I need to have watched the original to enjoy this?
Nope. While there are many direct and indirect references to all sorts of duck-related Disney media (as well as other Disney Afternoon shows), this show is self-contained and largely its own thing. Many characters have been reinterpreted and the August premiere serves as an introduction to the main characters as well as a sample of what the average episode will be like.

- How many episodes will there be?
The first season will have 21 half-hour episodes and two one hour specials, one of which aired in August. Season 2 is already confirmed.

- Are the episodes standalone?
Largely so, but much like other modern cartoons, there will be a season-long, more serialized background plot dealing with Della Duck, the mother of the triplets.

- I know about the old show, but are these comic-book thingies any good?
Yes. Fantagraphic Books is currently printing a complete collection of both Carl Barks and Don Rosa's works, and while buying the full set at once is probably not the greatest idea, volumes 4 and 5 of The Don Rosa Library contain "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck", which is well worth checking out.

- Is Darkwing Duck really going to show up in this?
Apparently so!

I am so hyped for this...but I don't even have Disney XD.

Hopefully Ducktales is a big enough success that Disney XD gets moved to more standard cable packages. They have a killer set of shows right now.

Psxphile

Called it.

In a bold move, the first two brand-new episodes ("The Great Dime Chase!" and "Daytrip of Doom") are up on the Spectrum mobile app. Probably on Disney XD's mobile app and website as well though I haven't checked yet.

Boem

I'm just happy more kids are going to grow up with the Duck universe. Growing up myself, that was always the main thing that defined Disney for me, moreso than any of their big movies. And (as is usual in Europe I guess), mostly the comics. I liked the old Ducktales and the old Donald cartoons, but the comics were magic. I'm happy they're getting closer to the Carl Barks/Keno Don Rosa version in this adaption, because man those two are masters of their craft. I would say Barks is the better of the two, but Don Rosa is my personal favorite. He takes everything Barks did and created this almost mythical world out of it, where he tried to define a sort of Barks canon, while creating absolute brilliant new stories out of it. Great stuff. Everyone with even the slightest interest in the Ducks or just comics owes it to himself to at least check out the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck epic. Truly a classic.

So yeah, I'll be watching this with my nieces and nephew. Sometimes being an uncle has its benefits. And this show featuring two uncles going on adventures with a group of kids makes it perfect for us. I'm guessing they're going to see me more as Donald than Scrooge, for better or worse.

that premiere episode/movie had me grinning the whole time. Ben Schwartz's Dewie stole the show for me big time.

looking forward to this one.

Tizoc

One hour episode was awesome !
Right amount of stand alones and references galore.

Can't wait to see how Magica is in this series

That city at the start is totally st canard

The DW episode is gonna be lit
In fact make it a 2 parter and have the 2nd part start with the DW theme 2017 EDITION!

Epcott

Mrs. Beakley... is hot.

There, I said it.
Loving these first episodes. I need to find out when they replay the episodes today.

Also, Jim Rash as Gyro is brilliant.
Reminds me a bit of Rusty Venture.

Nohar

I'll need to check how to watch it from Europe. Tried to download the Disney app, but available videos are restricted to European available ones.

Mazre

Definitely need a gif of Webby trying to interpret Louie's hand signals

Pulling out the spork and her look of uncertainty about killed me

Platy

I'll need to check how to watch it from Europe. Tried to download the Disney app, but available videos are restricted to European available ones.

Anyone know if the episodes are gonna be up to stream in Canada?

Considering how 90% of those children's cartoons survival is about selling toys, I would not have any ethical dilemma of straight up pirating a show like DuckTales, specially if it is to watch with a kid

Boem

Show continues to be good with the 2 latest episodes.

I'm wondering who the librarian is going to turn out to be. Magica or someone else?

They mention her name a couple of times in the show: Quackfaster. She's Scrooge's secretary in the original Barks/Don Rosa comics:

missquackfastere.jpg

They changed her name to Featherby in the old Ducktales cartoon, but given the many tributes to the comics it makes sense to change it back to her original name. Although, of course, her personality in this episode isn't like her old incarnations at all - I'm thinking it might be a bait & switch and they'll reveal her to be Magica, working undercover at the moneybin. This is totally how she would act. The disguises, the smoke/disappearance, the spooky disembodied voice and music, and I swear there was just a tinge of a (cartoony) Italian accent coming through at the end. That would also explain why they haven't talked about Magica at all, even though she's one of the biggest villains. Or they could be saving her for season 2 of course, but I'm betting this might be her, and the Quackfaster name is just a red herring.

Lots of fun references to Don Rosa in the last episode. 'The Life and Times of Delia Duck', and showing the origin of the lucky dime with art very similar to how it was portrayed in Life & Times and the later comic where Magica travels back in time to steal it when he first gets it.

I didn't expect Gyro becoming a major villain.

I don't think he's going to be? Project Blatherskite is a reference to his catchphrase and Gizmoduck, and he's probably not going to become Gizmoduck himself since they already have Lin-Manuel Miranda to voice him. I think the intention was more 'insane genius whose inventions always turn out wrong' rather than 'evil genius' in that last scene.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Watched Daytrip.

The good: It was friggin hysterical. I laughed out loud many many times throughout the episode. Imho, REALLY funny. Also Donald is hands down the best version of Donald ever. Period.

The “hmm”: Episode didn’t feel much like Ducktales. It could have literally been any other cartoon. The premiere didn’t feel that way so I’m not worried. Also I am super biased as a long time Barks and OG series fan (child of the 80s)

The bad: Nothing. Truly a great episode.

For those not biased by the original sources I can’t see how this show is anything but amazing. For those of us who are, I hope they mix more Barks stuff in the series. But overall the creators deserve to be commended for an outstanding job.

Sponge

Banned
Caught both episodes today and still really enjoying what I'm seeing.
Nice Gizmoduck tease from Gyro at the end.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah these two episodes were great. Really loved the reference to Life & Times with Scrooge getting his Lucky Dime. Plus "Life and Times of Della Duck".
I hope we get the Soapy Slick story referenced later on.

Boem

Also really liked the reference to Plain Awful. That's one of my favorite Barks stories (it's the one with the square eggs and the village in the Andes), especially when you add Don Rosa's sequel to it.

If this show at one point does their own 'Return to the Andes' type story, I'll lose my mind. The look of that place is iconic to me. Stared at those pictures for hours when I was young.

I love that they just keep referencing all these place names all over the place. It's really just the writers showing off their cartoon/comic knowledge, and I'm into it.

Nice episodes, especially liked the Dime Chase, as it was a great version of the "running after money" genre of comics stories. I suppose Huey will get a focus episode soon, though maybe they have a tougher time writing for him since he gets most of traits of the classic nephews.

Yeah these two episodes were great. Really loved the reference to Life & Times with Scrooge getting his Lucky Dime. Plus "Life and Times of Della Duck".
I hope we get the Soapy Slick story referenced later on.

To be fair, Scrooge getting the dime by shining the shoes of a ditchdigger precedes L&T, it was even in the 80s series. Though the background of the flashback illustration is definitely taken from Rosa's industrial Glasgow (the show is present day, but it's fine to play loose with how "the past" looks)

Nelo Ice

Banned
I am loving all these new characterizations. Beakley and Webby in particular are just flat out awesome. You do not want to cross either of them damn.

So the TV movie in Aug was episode 1+2 and the new ones are 3 & 4? 1+2 seems to be available in the XD App for me but the other two are locked.

Awesome. My son just turned 4 and would probably love this. Would be nice to watch a show together and it has to be better than Paw Patrol...

Top Bottom