• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy 7

entremet

I maxed out the clock on this game. I had a perfect game basically--all the armors, items, 3 sets of Master materia, etc.

Fun, fun game looking back.

First post delivers.

Playing FF7 for the first time was a revelation for me.

Well said. It's no exaggeration to say it was almost a religious-like enlightening experience for me. 5 years on I still can't get over it. It changed the way I look at games and gaming.

Really hoping FFXV does the same.

Well said. It's no exaggeration to say it was almost a religious-like enlightening experience for me. 5 years on I still can't get over it. It changed the way I look at games and gaming.

It's the first time I really remember being completely engrossed in a game's story/setting/characters.

The SNES era RPGs were great but the 3D world, FMV cutscenes etc really took it to another level.

Oh and all those memorable music tracks....

When you get to the part with the dolphin just press the button twice. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

I got nothing for that stupid swinging bar though.

Eblo

I wish I could play Final Fantasy VII for the first time again as a kid. At the time, I was amazed by the depth that the big bad villain had and the involvement of all characters in the story. I hated RPGs until I played this game, now it's one of my favorite genres.

FF7 was one of the big ones I missed out on during the N64/PSX era. I wanted to play it back in the day so badly because I was a Square newcomer fresh off the amazing experience of Chrono Trigger and was looking forward to seeing what I thought they'd be bringing to the N64, then alas the fall out occured and they left for Sony and I had to pick my next system. :( A classmate in my high school debate room brought the game to class one day and I drooled over the manual.

I didn't have enough money to get a PSX until several years later after I got my first job and at that same time I also got a modded Saturn and became obsessed with shmups which effectively turned both my PSX and Saturn into 2D shooter machines pushing my brief foray into JRPGs further onto the back burner. To this day the only two JRPGs I've played through are Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. In January I bought a copy of Dragon Quest V which I'm loving.

Seriously been thinking about finally playing it lately so was happy that I saw this thread. I don't have a PS4 yet so was thinking I might get it for my PSP or should I wait? I don't mind the chunky character models at all, they only make me nostalgic for those days. Ah, the rise of the 32/64-bit era. :) Seriously, the two games I think of the most from that time are Mario 64 and FF7.

Shion

FF7 was one of the big ones I missed out on during the N64/PSX era. I wanted to play it back in the day so badly because I was a Square newcomer fresh off the amazing experience of Chrono Trigger and was looking forward to seeing what I thought they'd be bringing to the N64, then alas the fall out occured and they left for Sony and I had to pick my next system. :( A classmate in my high school debate room brought the game to class one day and I drooled over the manual.

I didn't have enough money to get a PSX until several years later after I got my first job and at that same time I also got a modded Saturn and became obsessed with shmups which effectively turned both my PSX and Saturn into 2D shooter machines pushing my brief foray into JRPGs further onto the back burner. To this day the only two JRPGs I've played through are Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. In January I bought a copy of Dragon Quest V which I'm loving.

Seriously been thinking about finally playing it lately so was happy that I saw this thread. I don't have a PS4 yet so was thinking I might get it for my PSP or should I wait? I don't mind the chunky character models at all, they only make me nostalgic for those days. Ah, the rise of the 32/64-bit era. :) Seriously, the two games I think of the most from that time are Mario 64 and FF7.
Do it.gif

PS1 games look great on the PSP screen.

Great game. It isn't very difficult and other people here have given great tips. Just enjoy yourself.

If you find a place out in the wild that fully heals you whenever you like, that might be a good time to grind a bit, especially for those materia.

I need to finish it. It really deserves the hype IMO. The story and writing and the way it interacts and changes with the world was the highlight for me. And these are the only characters I have cared about in a FF (besides maybe FF 12), but I haven't played 6, 8 or 10

The best video game... IN THE WORLD!

Absolutely. I'm jealous of anyone who gets to play it for the first time.

I also realise as I get older that Barret is pretty much the best character in the entire game. He's hilarious, he's got a heart of gold, and just like me, he doesn't have a clue what's going on by the end of the game.

I still remember playing this on launch day and being completely blown away. For the time it came out, it really made me sss that next step in video games

ffdgh

As soon as you're strong enough, Learn beta from the midgar serpent. That enemy attack is crazy strong so early in the game.

music is great so far

It really is isn't it. Even with a rearranged modern soundtrack that's technically superior, I think it would miss something you get from the original midis. It's kind of weird but it's something about the way Uematsu composed them. Like how 8-16 bit game melodies worked really well with chiptunes.

I love its look as well, I have attempted to play it before and never really got that far in.

I played FF8 back in the day, again not properly, I really liked that game which means my opinions are now invalid.

Zetta

I'm kind of envious, playing this for the first time was such a great ride. I can't wait for the ps4 release to do my replay of it. Also learn Manipulate and then White Wind, White Wind is godly.

Edit: Also enjoy the music, this is one of 7s best touches. Some of these songs have stuck with me to this day. The lifestream theme just makes me tear up every time.

Dynomutt

I bought a playstation tv yesterday, the Vita games that I wanted to play don't work sadly.

So, treating the purchase as a PSOne/PSP player, thought I'd finally give this game a fair shake.

Any tips are welcome, music is great so far

You can beat the Cosmo Canyon (Red XIII) boss the "spirit" in one hit with a Phoenix Down. Pretty cool and saves time!

Cryxo93

Banned
Played this to the end last summer and would have finished it if I could have
defeated Sephiroth's last form. That game was shit hot till that last point where whatever I did just got me absolutely screwed each time.

I would have gone and done some sidequests if I had the time. I might just return to it someday just to finally complete it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Absolutely. I'm jealous of anyone who gets to play it for the first time.

I also realise as I get older that Barret is pretty much the best character in the entire game. He's hilarious, he's got a heart of gold, and just like me, he doesn't have a clue what's going on by the end of the game.
Only in the world of Final Fantasy VII is a poor black dude from the ghetto in charge of an orbiting death laser. Everything about Barret is awesome.

antitrop

It's been 17 years, for me. I first played the PC port that came out in '98, since I didn't have a PS1.

Chrono Trigger is really the only game that competes with FF7 for my favorite game of all-time slot.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
FF7/8/10

Are my trifecta. Fucking godly. Never cared for 9 unfortunately (yes I owned it and beat it once)

7 of course introduced me to these amazing worlds.

antitrop

Played this to the end last summer and would have finished it if I could have
defeated Sephiroth's last form. That game was shit hot till that last point where whatever I did just got me absolutely screwed each time.

I would have gone and done some sidequests if I had the time. I might just return to it someday just to finally complete it.
Yeah, Safer Sephiroth is no joke. His Super Nova attack is the fucking greatest thing, except when it kills your entire party in one go.

Meffer

It hasn't aged well when I played it last time. The translation isn't great.
Disjointed, is a good word to describe the translation.

antitrop

No lie, I've beat the game like 10 times, played Crisis Core, as well, and I have no idea what the fuck is really going on in the game. :p

FF7's translation is somewhat charming in its ineptitude, though.

jb1234

It's a great game, yeah. I still remember what it felt like to play it for the first time almost two decades ago. Hasn't held up well, though and the translation is just terrible.

Disjointed, is a good word to describe the translation.

You can still get the jist of what everyone says. Not sure why this a big deal to people. The story/themes are amazing. Why not focus on all the great things it does rather than be picky

Panthers

My GOAT. Just played it again because I didn't 100% it the first time (back when it released). Now all my guys are lvl 99 and I have all the master materia. Time to take on the weapons.

This wasn't something I noticed when I played it the first time, but replaying it I realized how much I unconsciously appreciated the different kinds of gameplay FF7 offered. In a lot of RPGs, it's just constantly battling, exploring dungeons/towns, buying gear, over and over. But in 7, it had a lot of different things for you to do to make the game feel rich and fresh.
Gold Saucer, CPR on Priscilla, dolphin-riding, motorcycle chase, chocobo racing, mountain climbing, parade marching, submarine piloting...
Even if some of those activities are simple or not incredibly fun, they're short and do what they were meant to do: immerse you in Cloud's adventure and give you a short break before doing traditional RPG things again. It's something that a lot of RPGs haven't been able to measure up to FF7.

I really loved exploring the characters' backgrounds too, and it's one of the best FFs in that respect. Music and backgrounds were full of life and personality, while the field models were funny and charming. I enjoyed the pacing and plot twists too, and the dialogue between characters and NPCs were incredibly fun to read. I loved 7's quirkiness, and it's definitely my favourite FF to date, to say nothing of the huge amount of customization that Materia offers.

Panthers

It's a great game, yeah. I still remember what it felt like to play it for the first time almost two decades ago. Hasn't held up well, though and the translation is just terrible.

For me the gameplay is as fun as I remember when I was a kid. Graphics don't but I actually like the blocky characters

FarmerGiles

I remember playing this for the first time back in School when life was carefree and simple. I was drawn in by Cloud's Buster sword and his bad-ass spiky 'do and didn't have a clue about turn based battle systems. I spent the 1st 10 minutes trying to find the Swing-giant-sword button before I wandered up-screen and delved in to that first fight with the Shinra Guards.

I thought, ok.. this' a bit weird, can I move around now? What's this Menu all about? Attack..? Magic..? ok..

20 minutes later I beat the Scorpion boss (after my second try; totally kept attacked while it's tail was up in the first fight) and I was hooked.

Several hours later I'd
left Midgar
and that was when I had the revelation that this thing I've been playing was.. just.. going.. to be epic. It was like nothing I've ever experienced before.

That first raid, cross dressing cloud, that stair case, the motorcycle chase, leaving midgar, Sephiroth.
That was just the beginning of something that would definitely shape the rest of my gaming life.

Best gaming experience I've ever had.

Top Bottom