• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you didn't buy a Wii U, what will the NX have to have for you to consider it?

Guevara

Maybe if the NX gets like 6 amazing Metroid/Zelda/Mario games I would buy it towards the end of the generation for cheap.

Onyar

I used to love Nintendo, but the changes that they made already on the gamecube and later with the wii about the games the system have weren't for me. For sure they won tons of money but losed a lot of fans too.

ElTopo

Banned
Depends on the hardware. I have no interest in consoles and not much interest in current games. So I'm not really the audience.

What kills Nintendo time and time again are the poor selection of 3rd party titles. I have no idea how they can resolve this other than having hardware that's easy to develop on and doesn't use any weird gimmicks that would confuse developers on how to utilize them.

For me to consider it, I like that one idea that's it's some sort of plug in USB device that runs a custom version of Android. I'd consider it then if it's cheap and has really good games. That's about it.

kinggroin

Banned
$150 console that's modern architecture with a painless account system and full blown VC library day one. Pack the standard Pro controller.

th4tguy

If the system is a handheld/ console combo, it will truly interest me. If it's home console only, I'll wait till it's super cheap and has at least a handful of good titles before buying. Not buying their console at launch again.

If it's just a handheld, I'll also be interested in getting it day one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Impressive, powerful hardware (No backwards compatibility, to ensure this).
Interesting first party games not aimed at I-buy-everything-Nintendo-anyways-so-why-not.
Online ecosystem and services parable to their competitors.
Full concessions for 3rd parties in general.

Unfortunately, not only do I think this is unrealistic, but also too much to ask. For each bullet point. Nintendo is too far gone IMO.

Abounder

Banned
Support for Unreal Engine 4 and other popular game engines (this gets both indies and AAA). Otherwise you're missing out on too many games and nerfing its potential.

I've basically accepted now that Nintendo's consoles won't have the third party support I would need for it to be my only console, so I want it to be cheap so it's easier to justify as a second or third console.

I don't need gimmicks, the Wii U Pro Controller is one of the best that Nintendo has ever made in my opinion. Give the Wii U a spec bump, ditch the gamepad, and sell it with a pro controller for $199-249 and keep bringing the games.

I've always bought Nintendo's consoles for the games they create. If they don't go third party, and I'm not saying they should, then I'd like to see them lower the price of entry to their ecosystem so more people can enjoy the titles they're putting out.

I would buy one if nintendo would go back to the N64 days, where they made a machine that can rival it's competition in specs, and go back to making big budget games, where the graphics rival the best there is, for example imagine how a sequel would look to mario 64 2 on a machine with specs like the ps4, or if they actually made a zelda like the tech demo, stuff like this would get my hyped enough to buy the next nintendo machine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just bought a Wii U like 3 months ago. Virtually nothing will get to me buy a different console from the same company.

Reckheim

I would honestly like Nintendo to go back to the basics, solid hardware that can push solid graphics and games that primarily just use a normal controller. Can you guys imagine a new Mario or Zelda game using up to date hardware?

A cheap price and some decent games. More than ever, Nintendo consoles are first party machines. I don't think NX will be any different and I doubt it will compete power wise with current gen, so as long as the price reflects that and the games (I'm personally interested in) are there, I'll be interested.

EDIT: Yeah, a modern day account system too. I've been increasingly going digital, but I didn't like doing that with my 3DS knowing it was tied to the hardware.

If the NX is a console It needs to be super cheap for me to consider it. Like $200 or less.

MpJ9iNn.gif

Neoxon

region free
no stupid gimmicky controller
relatively equal in power to other consoles
new (younger) people at nintendo's board of directors
3rd party support

so basically pretty much never since all of those won't happen
We're kinda already getting that with the new blood that's making Splatoon.

PusherT

EA,Take-2,Ubi are not coming. People should start looking at the reality that 3rd parties are gone. The Wii U is getting great Independent and small-scale devs like Renigade Kid, Shovel Knight dev,etc. THE NX should be strong on the independent scene.

To the people asking for third party support: So you would buy the NX as primary console (otherwise it shouldn't matter to you)? Would you really consider buying the NX over a new sony or microsoft console?

really good point to bring up.

i often lament the lack of third parties on my wii-u as well, but you've made me consider that honestly, they're not what i buy a nintendo console for - i buy them for mario kart, smash bros, zelda, metroid, & original / interesting / core games [à la Splatoon and/or Bayonetta].

as such, i wouldn't expect, or even want, my next nintendo console to try and replace my xbone, pc, or ps4 - they serve completely different uses, and are there for their own host of unique exclusives [as i play most third party stuff on pc anyway!].

i do, personally, yearn for better hardware this time around - but i'm not so bold as to presume that's what will be best for the system, or its direction in general [but games with wii-u level graphics at 1080p w/ decent AA as a standard would be very nice!].

New games that aren't just sequels to their existing franchises.

I can do better than playing Zelda, Mario, Mario Party, Mario Kart, et al, every generation.

I want to see them expand. Buy more studios. Broaden their portfolio. Show they aren't just appealing to their existing captive fanboy fanbase drunk on Amiibo hunts.

Petrae

So to sum up most of these responses:

MOAR LIKE SONY AND MICROSOFT BUT A LOT CHEAPER.

Yawn.

I'd pay a bit more for a Nintendo console if it was comparable to the other consoles on the market. I'm not buying multiple consoles anymore, so it's on Nintendo-- as it is for Sony and Microsoft-- to make that one-console purchase that I'm making to be their console, and not the competition's.

Yes, that means that Nintendo needs to be a bit more homogeneous for me to consider buying another console... unless the company understands its role as a secondary box and prices its hardware at an appropriately low number. Complementary consoles at $300 are a definite no.

get third party
stop killing thier consoles after 4 years
have a competent online system
ditch the gimmick gamepad
Have a steady flow of games
tech that can rival or surpass ps4/xbone

At this point i just dont trust nintendo they are behind the times/old fashioned and stuck in a niche. Killing the Wii U off so soon just makes me dislike them more. The Wii catching on was a fluke. It's pretty obvious at this point Sony/MS control the hardcore base. Unless Nintendo wants to fight for that market i could care less about them.

Neoxon

get third party
stop killing thier consoles after 4 years
have a competent online system
ditch the gimmick gamepad
Have a steady flow of games
tech that can rival or surpass ps4/xbone

At this point i just dont trust nintendo they are behind the times/old fashioned and stuck in a niche. Killing the Wii U off so soon just makes me dislike them more. The Wii catching on was a fluke. It's pretty obvious at this point Sony/MS control the hardcore base. Unless Nintendo wants to fight for that market i could care less about them.
The NX was mentioned as a "relax, we're still doing consoles" thing. I wouldn't expect the NX until around 2017, giving the Wii U the usual 5 years on the market.

General consensus from this thread seems to be that Nintendo will need to make a conservative system that at least matches the PS4/Xbox One in hardware, online infrastructure, and library range and number for less than $300, and after all that they will still not care and/or wait until the tail end of the system's life.

I'm not exactly sure what this thread is about anymore.

General consensus from this thread seems to be that Nintendo will need to make a conservative system that at least matches the PS4/Xbox One in hardware, online infrastructure, and library range and number for less than $300, and after all that they will still not care and/or wait until the tail end of the system's life.

I'm not exactly sure what this thread is about anymore.

"conservative" is the opposite of what we want.

The Wii U was the most conservative thing Nintendo could do.

They used the cheapest hardware possible for their devices. The old controllers and a fucking non-capacitive tablet.

They used the old guts of the Wii which in turn were the old guts of the GameCube. There was not that much changed in terms of a code base.

They didn't change the name because they knew it was still just another Wii.

Fitts

I bought a Wii U and recently sold it. For the price, it wasn't worth me investing in it as a secondary system considering what it offered. For me to buy another Nintendo console it would need to:

-Have enough third-party support to make it my primary console
-No gimmicky stuff packaged in and a good primary controller included -- at worst, sell it as an accessory and don't make it mandatory
-Good online support with party chat/etc.

If they're going to continue with the format of the only worthwhile releases coming directly from Nintendo and a few partnerships then I would be a buyer at $100.

Impressive, powerful hardware (No backwards compatibility, to ensure this).
Interesting first party games not aimed at I-buy-everything-Nintendo-anyways-so-why-not.
Online ecosystem and services parable to their competitors.
Full concessions for 3rd parties in general.

Unfortunately, not only do I think this is unrealistic, but also too much to ask. For each bullet point. Nintendo is too far gone IMO.
Good basic list

The saddest thing is that it's really not too much if the system were to come out in holiday 2017. More power than a PS4, full OS level party chat, a full invite system/messaging system, digital accounts and interesting non-Mario/Zelda first party games are all doable in a home console 31 months from now at $300. Nintendo just doesn't want to do anything that falls outside of their comfortable bubble when it comes to hardware. They better fucking include an ethernet port and HDD in their home consoles after the mess that was the Wii U.

The next console should really just come with a pro controller and a far more advanced Wii-mote. They can toss backwards compatibility on it's ass and look forward to building an actual ecosystem that crosses generations afterwards once they switch to a more modern architecture.

Maybe if the NX gets like 6 amazing Metroid/Zelda/Mario games I would buy it towards the end of the generation for cheap.

Yep, I would like to have my daughter play some Mario and Zelda, and the end of next gen would be an appropriate age for her to start some real gaming. (Around 12 years old)

Oh man...

- Not be five years behind the times. If it's releasing 2+ years after the PS4, it had better be more powerful than the PS4.
- Third-party and indie support. I don't buy consoles to play one or two games a year.
- Have an account system. Locking digital purchases to one physical machine and needing to call Nintendo with police reports and other bullshit to get basic things done is unacceptable and should have been fixed a decade ago.
- Relating to the above points, if they're gong to intentionally hold the system back technologically, not invest in an online infrastructure, and do nothing to attract developers, it had better be priced as dirt cheap as the effort that went into it.
- Add features gamers want and not fluff gimmicks. The casual audience is gone. Get over it.

This is all moot, I'm convinced Nintendo will never release a competitive, competent console so long as Iwata is in charge. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. I wish they would just get their heads out of the sand and compete for once. Look at the competition and say, "we want to build something better" instead of just doing the safest, cheapest thing your mom might like. I miss SNES-era Nintendo so damn much.

"conservative" is the opposite of what we want.

The Wii U was the most conservative thing Nintendo could do.

They used the cheapest hardware possible for their devices. The old controllers and a fucking non-capacitive tablet.

They used the old guts of the Wii which in turn were the old guts of the GameCube. There was not that much changed in terms of a code base.

They didn't change the name because they knew it was still just another Wii.

Conservative meaning "no gimmicks", to use the words echoed in this thread. In other words, a system that contains only standard controllers, architecture and whatnot.

Tagyhag

BC
Free online
Healthy sales (I didn't buy a WiiU because I assumed they would bring out the successor sooner than others).

Yeah, anyone expecting enough 3rd party support to make it their primary console (while not being a big Nintendo fan), is being unrealistic. I mean if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes, but a more reasonable/realistic request is a cheap enough price and strong enough 1st party support for it to be considered as a second console.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
A more consistently decent release schedule. RPGs. More Zelda. RPGs. Stop talking about courting third parties because it's never going to happen again. RPGs.

Ploid 3.0

Best multiplatform versions, or close to it, a lot of third party stuff that are appealing to me, and not just mainly Nintendo games with a few third party games that are important.

I used to be into the Mario games, but I wouldn't play them these days. The only reason I like Ratchet and Clank and Jak was their weapons, especially R&C with it's RPG elements. Right up my ARPG alley.

Smash Bros?

Smash Bros.
They should take a hint from Sony and Naughty Dog's actions with TLOU:Remastered and make a Smash collection including 64 and Melee (they can add brawl if they want) fully remastered with all sorts of online/team options. It'd sell massively and after a while they can bundle digitally it with this hypothetical next gen Nintendo console like Sony has with TLOU and their PS4s. Their Smash team would also get a chance to sharpen their fangs on the new hardware.

If Nintendo wants people to actually take them seriously with online gaming they'd do such a thing. Unfortunately we'll probably be waiting for Smash 5 to drop on 2019 after they once again relegate themselves mostly to single player and local multiplayer experiences.

Top Bottom