• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE's Johan Andersson wants Win10+DX12 as minspec for holiday 2016 Frosbite titles

gossi

+1. PC gamers may well rage, but it would push the platform forward (likely driven by Xbox for a change).

Kezen

Banned
That would be fantastic. DX11 holds PC gaming back, as did DX9.

It all depends on W10's uptake I suppose, considering the word of mouth has been extremely positive and it's free for one year I can see it being the OS of choice for PC gaming relatively soon.

hodgy100

What does it even mean?

minspec? minimum requirements, minimum specifications.

+1. PC gamers may well rage, but it would push the platform forward (likely driven by Xbox for a change).

well win 10 is free for anyone with win 7 or higher. No excuse not to upgrade really!

It's great news really much better than the 2-3 year lag of devs making use of new DX versions .

Fuckin a, I'm on board with him. Obviously as long as they responsibly make use of the new technologies.

The faster we advance, the better.

Tenebrous

I want good games from DICE - Now what?

OT, though, if it weren't for the free upgrade program from Windows 7/8, I'd say he's off his rocker... WITH the free upgrade program? No brainer - Do it!!!

hodgy100

It basically means that anyone who hasn't got a DirectX 12 card won't be able to play most of EA's 2016 PC games,if this plonker has his way.

and what's wrong with that. Nvidia say that all cards from the gtx400 series onwards support DX12 im sorry that your >5 year old graphics card isn't supported :/

It's like complaining you cant get bloodborne on your ps3.

foamdino

I like the idea of pushing the pc platform forward, but I suspect EA will not like selling to such a constrained market (unless win10 + DX12 really takes off).

hodgy100

I like the idea of pushing the pc platform forward, but I suspect EA will not like selling to such a constrained market (unless win10 + DX12 really takes off).

windows 10 is free for everyone that has windows 7, windows 8 or windows 8.1. and DX12 is compatible with graphics cards from 2010.

its not a constrained market.

Man

For those who don't know:

Johan Andersson pretty much single-handedly wrote the AMD MANTLE spec.
This is now the main basis for Vulcan and Direct X 12.

jmga

I think they are gonna go with Vulkan.
N3KTpcR.png

We might underestimate the willingness of some to stay on W7 though, and that's a problem.

Win10 is shaping up to be pretty awesome. It won't be a Windows 8 "Where is my start menu?!" style fustercluck IMO.

For the gaming market there should be enough reasons to take advantage of the free upgrade. Some people will of course stay on 7, but why bother? MS is making a huge effort to get W10 widely adopted and at the moment I don't see any reason why that would fail.

A-V-B

So they're going to lock me out of Mirror's Edge 2 for this bullshit? They can eat my shorts. I'll save hundreds of dollars and afford more things elsewhere.

So they're going to lock me out of Mirror's Edge 2 for this bullshit? They can eat my shorts. I'll save hundreds of dollars and afford more things elsewhere.

What graphics card do you have now & what graphics card do you think you'll have in 18 months time?

jmga

If Vulkan progresses well, that would mean they don't have to worry about uptake of Windows 10, right?

Not exactly. If they are gonna require WDDM 2.0 you will still need W10.

But I don't know why they simply don't port their actual non-WDDM 2.0 implementation of Mantle to Vulkan(as he said at GDC they would do) and ship with both WDDM 2.0 and non-WDDM 2.0 support.

A-V-B

What graphics card do you have now & what graphics card do you think you'll have in 18 months time?

I'm no fortune teller, but it's less to do with the card and more to do with my hesitance about Windows 10 in its first couple years. I'd rather buy a PS4 than stumble into that, and I'm not going to buy a PS4 for MsE2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I haven't been following much of DX12, other than the GTX 970 (my card) apparently supporting it. I wonder what kind of realistic, real world performance increases for, say, Mass Effect 4 one could see between Win 8 + DX11 versus Win 10 + DX12.

Yudoken

PC gamers are ready for a change, most of the gamers are already on 7/8 and it's going to be a free upgrade so there is no reason to stay on the old version.
Hopefully this will bring the changes we hoped for, broken promises and lies are words I would use to describe how MS treats Windows as a gaming platform.
They just recently gave us the middle finger by announcing just ONE (f2p and for me highly uninteresting) game, everything else was a like a big "fuck you" for everyone who thought they would finally bring some of the Xbox games to pc. I would be happy if they would just announce good games like Killer Instinct (and hopefully Scalebound) for pc already...
If they would hold their word they wouldn't fuck around and finally announce Halo Master Chief collection and the Forza games on pc.

Kezen

Banned
Steam is a hell of a lot more of a definitive source on the matter than nvidia.
I don't think so.

Hmm but there's a huge difference between the ~20% on the steam and the 70% NVidia claim. One of life's mysteries ;-)

I'll take Nvidia's word.

Besides, in 2012.....
Steam.png

The numbers in the latest survey don't add up... Where's the rest ?

EDIT : Here it is :
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
77.23% DX11 as of March 2015. No idea where you read that bullshit that DX9 GPUs were in the majority, you need to read more carefully.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm no fortune teller, but it's less to do with the card and more to do with my hesitance about Windows 10 in its first couple years. I'd rather buy a PS4 than stumble into that, and I'm not going to buy a PS4 for MsE2.

You would rather buy a PS4 than run Windows 10....... what does that even mean?

All DX11 cards will be supported by DX12. It's still not huge market share according to http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc - DX9 still appears to be the majority.

But will that still be the case in 1 1/2 years? I'd be amazed if it is.

Those with a DX9 card really aren't the audience for a DICE game considering Battlefield 3 and 4 aren't compatible with DX9. DX9 has been pretty much dead when it comes to AAA games for quite some time now.

I don't think so.

I'll take Nvidia's word.

Besides, in 2012.....
Steam.png

The numbers in the latest survey don't add up... Where's the rest ?

EDIT : Here it is :
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
77.23% DX11 as of March 2015. No idea where you read that bullshit that DX9 GPUs were in the majority, you need to read more carefully.

That makes more sense.

Top Bottom