• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE's Johan Andersson wants Win10+DX12 as minspec for holiday 2016 Frosbite titles

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd just like to remind that it's not DICE's stand, but one of their tech leads. He's also the guy who has worked on Mantle and Vulkan so it's no surprise that he's the first line supporting new APIs. As he admits, it's quite aggressive even with W10 being free to upgrade so I personally don't see them going for the DX12 minimum requirement next year.
I don't think it's unreasonable. W10 support should be pretty damn good.

And I see no reason to doubt the hype over DX12, either. Games built for it will open up a new level of possibilities.

Raven77

Okay can someone PLEASE help me out here. I am desperately wanting to quickly build a new gaming PC for Witcher and GTA. However, I want whatever video card I get to be able to take full advantage of DX 12, for DICE Games, and some current monsters like Witcher coming out.

Are current video cards capable of running DX12? Should I wait for a specific card to come out that might cause some current ones to drop in price? My budget is about 1500 US dollars.

Kezen

Banned
Deus Ex 2016 will have dx12.

Under the umbrella of the Gaming Evolved program, AMD and Eidos-Montréal have been collaborating on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and the game will feature Microsoft’s DirectX® 12 support

Okay can someone PLEASE help me out here. I am desperately wanting to quickly build a new gaming PC for Witcher and GTA. However, I want whatever video card I get to be able to take full advantage of DX 12, for DICE Games, and some current monsters like Witcher coming out.

Are current video cards capable of running DX12? Should I wait for a specific card to come out that might cause some current ones to drop in price? My budget is about 1500 US dollars.

The GTX 980 supposedly runs The Witcher 3 at 1080p60 on Ultra and the card fully supports DirectX 12_1.

I think DICE should honestly just double down on their Quality Assurance and Network Management teams plus all their resources and assets before worrying about raising the minimum specs for their PC titles. What does it matter how 'pretty' your game is when it crashes, freezes, suffers from massive netcode and stability issues and is riddled with game breaking bugs? Frostbite is already one of the most powerful and best looking engines out there, DICE need to figure out a new testing strategy to make sure they don't continue to release utterly broken, busted and buggy games to the public.

Kezen

Banned
DX12 min will make gamers go insane. Like 8GB min RAM I think COD Ghosts had.

Ghosts asked for 6gb which is perfectly reasonable, let alone actual memory usage was lower.

PC gamers are the undisputed kings of drama queen and overreactions sometimes.

KKRT00

I think DICE should honestly just double down on their Quality Assurance and Network Management teams plus all their resources and assets before worrying about raising the minimum specs for their PC titles. What does it matter how 'pretty' your game is when it crashes, freezes, suffers from massive netcode and stability issues and is riddled with game breaking bugs? Frostbite is already one of the most powerful and best looking engines out there, DICE need to figure out a new testing strategy to make sure they don't continue to release utterly broken, busted and buggy games to the public.

Why are people keep posting completely irrelevant stuff in tech related threads?
Those development branches are not related, so stop posting stuff that does not matter to thread topic, please.

_machine

I don't think it's unreasonable. W10 support should be pretty damn good.

And I see no reason to doubt the hype over DX12, either. Games built for it will open up a new level of possibilities.
Definitely not unreasonable, but I still believe that W7 at least will have enough of a user base left for EA to not cut their user base unless DX12 enough considerable advantages in areas other than performance (easier development, much better looking graphics, more unified multiplatform support). I'm still hoping for it though, but I don't know, feels a bit of a reach to me.

FLAguy954

Fuck yeah. I hope other developers follow suit. We have been held back too long by aging APIs.

Microsoft knocked out of the fucking park by ensuring a vast majority of gamers migrate to Windows 10.

Massa

Why are people keep posting completely irrelevant stuff in tech related threads?
Those development branches are not related, so stop posting stuff that does not matter to thread topic, please.

It's very much related. The main benefit of dropping DX11 is making QA easier.

_machine

It's very much related. The main benefit of dropping DX11 is making QA easier.
Nah, it doesn't really give any extra value to the actual QA team and it's additional debugging tools are sent against more RND and less experience with the API so I would say it's impact on QA is neglicent at least in the short term. The issues with BF4 lies in the Christmas release (which was extremely important to EA in terms of sales) and it just didn't give enough time to the developers and off course some the issues they ran into with the multiplayer side has nothing to do with DirectX.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice news for DE:MD getting DX12. Open world games are usually games that require most draw calls, and natively multi-threaded DX12 will help a lot there.

no thanks. Will upgrade to win10 but my 7870 does me fine.

Congratulations, you have everything for DX12.

antonz

Seems the most realistic a tech person has been in the industry in awhile. Microsoft giving Windows 7 and 8 users a free upgrade to 10 will mean a huge base of DX12

Win10 is free for all Win7 and 8 owners so it's not an unreasonable demand. Especially if Win10 fixes everything people hated about 8 but includes the very nice under the hood technical improvements over 7.

Win10 is free for all Win7 and 8 owners so it's not an unreasonable demand. Especially if Win10 fixes everything people hated about 8 but includes the very nice under the hood technical improvements over 7.

There's a start menu, I think that was the main complaint people had about 8. There's going to be some stubborn people that refuse to upgrade and sit on Windows 7 for eternity but I think Windows 10 will quickly become the majority in marketshare for Windows.

Rambone

Sounds good to me OP, not much to not like here unless you have aging hardware and are trying to squeeze every last drop out of it.

Doikor

Nice news for DE:MD getting DX12. Open world games are usually games that require most draw calls, and natively multi-threaded DX12 will help a lot there.

Congratulations, you have everything for DX12.

This. According to steam stats the DX12 support on hardware side is already over 70% so the only thing this will depend on is people upgrading to windows 10.

Top Bottom