• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolver Digital: YouTube told us we can't advertise the Shadow Warrior 2 trailer....

yiAAhx7.jpg

Shadow Warrior 2 Trailer

Wut?
Dat Mortal Kombat tho!

BY2K

Membero Americo
That sounds unreal.

I mean, you can see a guy get his guts get ripped out by the mouth in MKX!

Gestault

It sounds like they can't show particular imagery because of same general community standards all advertisements are held to, not that they can't advertise the game.

..so now we're posting this so that the internet does the advertising for us!

I think they mean "monetize" when they say advertise

Jachaos

Wait... Advertise or just upload? If it's having the trailer play as a pre-roll ad before other videos then I can see it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo amazing trailer tho.

udivision

There's a difference between uploading a video to YouTube and paying for them to show your videos while someone is watching a YouTube video. Gonna point this out just in case..

Corpekata

Banned
There's a difference between uploading a video to YouTube and paying for them to show your videos while someone is watching a YouTube video. Gonna point this out just in case..

Yeah some people don't seem to get this. Advertising does not equal uploading.

They mean Youtube won't give them banner ads, show it before other videos, etc.

lewisgone

Maybe they got a bad response from the Mortal Kombat trailer they allowed to run? Or was this requested before that?

Actually, can someone link the Mortal Kombat trailer in question?

Yeah some people don't seem to get this. Advertising does not equal uploading.

They mean Youtube won't give them banner ads, show it before other videos, etc.

I'm Google certified in Google Adwords and while I'm not 100% up-to-date and have never done any campaign for a video game, you can set your advertisements to only only show to users who are over a certain age (and tons and tons and tons of other specifications in demographics). I don't know the specifics of the campaign that these developers set up so maybe they made a mistake, or maybe indeed it's not possible even if you set the demographics right, there may be tight rules against graphic content.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm Google certified in Google Adwords and while I'm not 100% up-to-date and have never done any campaign for a video game, you can set your advertisements to only only show to users who are over a certain age (and tons and tons and tons of other specifications in demographics). I don't know the specifics of the campaign that these developers set up so maybe they made a mistake, or maybe indeed it's not possible even if you set the demographics right, there may be tight rules against graphic content.

I'm not saying their reasons make a lot of sense.

Just it seems like a lot of people seem to be taking the tweet to mean "Youtube told us not to upload this trailer" which is clearly not what they meant.

sensui-tomo

They can't use the footage as a comercial/advertisement because it has gore and its for all access (not redbanded aka age gated), it'd be like showing it on tv, They're not saying they cant upload it, but they cant have red banded trailers/comercials because.... well duh, or else i want my condom commercials to have sex featured (and dont bring up sex vs violence... thats not the debate)

Zubz

Banned
Assuming this happens in an ad for the game that pre-empts a video, this makes sense. I think MKX's advertisement only strongly-implied the game's brutality; you don't see any maiming.

If anything, it looks like they just wanted to quote that line from their rejection e-mail.

sensui-tomo

Assuming this happens in an ad for the game that pre-empts a video, this makes sense. I think MKX's advertisement only strongly-implied the game's brutality; you don't see any maiming.

If anything, it looks like they just wanted to quote that line from their rejection e-mail.

Ditto, I remember the kung lao fatality always being shown in a comercial, but it breaks away before we actually see anything.

Senoculum

Wait... Advertise or just upload? If it's having the trailer play as a pre-roll ad before other videos then I can see it.

Exactly. If they applied for a "general gaming" pre-roll, then you'll have this violent trailer play in front of a family-friendly 3DS title.

You can obviously upload violent content on Youtube; you just have to mark it as such. This just seems like they missed a checkbox by accident.

Eusis

This. Come on guys, use your brains.
There's also likely ESRB regulations, not that they matter if they don't have it submitted for whatever reason, IE console versions coming later.

And yeah, IF games like MKX were showing ads with ripping organs out through mouths or wherever then I'd call shinanigans, but if the ads were (relatively) clean then it really doesn't matter if the game has unspeakably horrific atrocities for whether or not it can be advertised, as long as the advertisement is clean and perhaps warns the game IS very violent. And it really would be kind of unfair if you found it disgustingly violent and had to watch it before whatever funny cat video it was you wanted to see.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There seems to be some confusion here.

They can post the video.

They cannot have the video autorun as an advertisement because it is too graphic to be forced on people.

This seems reasonable to me. I never saw MKX fatalities posted up as ads.

pvpness

There must be more to the story than this.

I must have missed the trailer reveal thread, but that trailer is awesome. 4p co-op? Fuck yes!

Top Bottom