• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament - Weavile and Charizard, Jirachi and Whimsicott assist, July 16th

The thing with Charizard is that it was never really good in battle until XY. Lots of people thought it was one of the strongest Pokemon because of the anime (something you don't see with Pikachu), and some people got mad at sites like Smogon, where Charizard was placed low on that tier list even though it was based on usage. People like to mention Lucario but that was honestly a "mascot" done right, since it was popular in the movies/anime and good in the game. I really mind Charizard at all but they should honestly give the original starters equal treatment (and use Charizard Y for once). Pikachu makes sense because it's the mascot for the whole series.

I'm not sure how exactly it is hypocritical unless Charizard is the second mascot of Poke'mon. Pikachu is the face of the series, in the context of the mainline games, no matter which starter you choose there is always an opportunity to catch a Pikachu. The same cannot be said for starters unless trading is done.

Actually Pikachu couldn't be be caught in Black/White, but that was because they were going for the whole "new Pokemon only" until you beat the game, kind of the opposite to Gen II/VI.

Wait, people hating on Charizard getting in? I mean, I know there's been a lot of Charizard overexposure recently but I would have been disappointed had it not got in. Anyway, I adore Sneasel so I'm happy that Weavile made it. Next we need more Pokémon that don't fit the built like a fighter already archetype like Suicune. Personlly, I really want a really crazy choice that's really different from the rest of the cast like Aegislash or Gyarados lol.

They've got the franchise's three most popular (modern) representatives in the form of Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario, and I don't think anyone should be unduly surprised or annoyed at that. Beyond that, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the diversity of the roster, if a little baffled at the specific choices. The likes of Suicune or Weavile aren't intuitive choices, but are nice to see all the same.

Well, they would be nice to see if the art style wasn't hideous, but eh.

PBalfredo

Blastoise is objectively the best pokemon, your starter is shit

shiiiiiiiiit

Blastoise is objectively the best... at getting trounced by the starter it's explicitly designed to counter.

But don't worry. Maybe GameFreak will give Blastoise a good mega someday.

QRuRgDi.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
Has the Charizard hate brigade rolled in yet?

He's the best starter ever for a reason.

Cause dragons look cool.

The thing with Charizard is that it was never really good in battle until XY. Lots of people thought it was one of the strongest Pokemon because of the anime (something you don't see with Pikachu), and some people got mad at sites like Smogon, where Charizard was placed low on that tier list even though it was based on usage. People like to mention Lucario but that was honestly a "mascot" done right, since it was popular in the movies/anime and good in the game. I really mind Charizard at all but they should honestly give the original starters equal treatment (and use Charizard Y for once). Pikachu makes sense because it's the mascot for the whole series.

Actually Pikachu couldn't be be caught in Black/White, but that was because they were going for the whole "new Pokemon only" until you beat the game, kind of the opposite to Gen II/VI.

I think it's pretty forced to be honest. There was a version mascot popularity poll 5 years ago in Japan and with the way they're pimping Charizard you would think he made top 3 or top 5. He was 7th. Granted this is above his starter peers who ended up being dead last but I can't help but feel TPC was trying to force the popularity of Charizard--and with Mega Charizard X they unfortunately succeeded.

Chindogg

You guys know that Pokken's on Wii U-based hardware and has a controller that looks near identical to a gamepad without a screen right?

I think it's pretty forced to be honest. There was a version mascot popularity poll 5 years ago in Japan and with the way they're pimping Charizard you would think he made top 3 or top 5. He was 7th. Granted this is above his starter peers who ended up being dead last but I can't help but feel TPC was trying to force the popularity of Charizard--and with Mega Charizard X they unfortunately succeeded.
Well he was number 1 on IGNs user poll of top 100 pokemon years ago during gen 5.

http://ca.ign.com/top/pokemon/1

There's nothing forced about his appearances.

Dude has his own 3DS theme and has brand new one paired with Mega Rayquaza

Well Charizard is definitely one of the most popular Pokemon but up until XY, it was barely used in any promotion after Gold/Silver. I'm not surprised it made it in. Lots of people predicted it when Pokken was announced.

At least they've faired better than Zoroark, who was a bad attempt at forcing a mascot. "Hey guys! This thing will be the face of Gen V! Except let's make it so that it hardly appears in the movie it stars in, give it a gimmick ability which doesn't really help it all and make it only available as an event!". Zoroark could be an interesting character though.

I don't get the Charizard hate, I mean he's nowhere near my favorite Pokemon, but you're in denial if you don't think he's one of the most popular and iconic Pokemon. I'm just surprised that it took till Gen VI for them to treat him like a secondary mascot.

LogicGoat

Neo Member
You guys know that Pokken's on Wii U-based hardware and has a controller that looks near identical to a gamepad without a screen right?

I know about the controller but do you have a source regarding the wiiU-based hardware?

That's interesting but not surprising as the old Namco arcade boards (for Tekken etc) were based on Playstation architecture if I remember correctly

I don't get the Charizard hate, I mean he's nowhere near my favorite Pokemon, but you're in denial if you don't think he's one of the most popular and iconic Pokemon. I'm just surprised that it took till Gen VI for them to treat him like a secondary mascot.

To be honest, I was completely oblivious to lizardon's popularity until smash 4. Nobody ever had it in their pokemon teams that I played and nobody I knew who liked pokemon ever mentioned it. That's the problems with only having anecdotal data to work with I guess XD But yeah, Charizard is pretty well liked it seems.

...I'm still holding out hope for Mawile though I know it'll never happen, heck you couldn't even play one in the last mystery dungeon game :/

harmonize

If it was an official poll, it probably distributed the winning Pokemon which would have influenced who was voted for. I think either Arceus or Mew won an official one a few years back for legendary Pokemon in a transparent attempt by the people voting to make an otherwise nearly impossible to find Pokemon obtainable. You can easily get a Charizard or Venusaur by breeding, while the legendary Pokemon that make up the rest of the box art monsters are more difficult.

Charizard is undoubtedly the second most popular pokemon after Pikachu, I don't think I've seen many viewer polls with him not at the top spot, including this one with more than 2 million votes.

Every time I see more gameplay I get more hyped. This fighting system replacing the fighting system in the main pokemon games on a home console would get me to buy whatever system nintendo wants.

Sterok

Weavile is cool. Charizard is obvious. But still cool. Looking forward to this even more. Still hoping for Roserade.

Oh I know about Black and White, I just wanted to point out that Pikachu can be obtained in general without trading. Also, I agree about the other starters, I don't care if Charizard is the most popular, but it'd be nice if Blastoise and Venisaur had X and Y forms.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I watched 6 Japanese girls play the game ok maybe you are right not a fair way to base an opinion
I'm not saying you can't dislike the battle system or whatever, but we haven't had a decent match of Pokkén ever since the game got announced, and that's because every time they show the game they feel the need to go over how to play at the most basic level. I don't know if that's because they air this during a time when kids are watching or what.

I'm not saying you can't dislike the battle system or whatever, but we haven't had a decent match of Pokkén ever since the game got announced, and that's because every time they show the game they feel the need to go over how to play at the most basic level. I don't know if that's because they air this during a time when kids are watching or what.

It seems the target is the kids who love Pokemon

I'll wait to see how deep it is when played by others

It's most likely pokken will probably be on both NX and Wii U. I doubt it wouldn't have been made without the Wii U in mind.

So..charizard again and no blastoise
I should be used to it by now but it will never stop enraging me. The casuals always win

Top Bottom