• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO on Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity: It wasn't an easy decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing it went like this.

SquareEnix: We have no money.
Microsoft: We have lots of money.
SquareEnix: Great! We'll take it!

sorry, but that is no different at all...Haze was to be multiplatform. I remember because I really wanted that game...
no, it is different, because like I said, haze was a new IP. tomb raider has been around, and has been multiplatform, for over 20 years. again, i am not against 3rd party exclusives, but rotr's case of exclusivity isn't one that has merit in my opinion.
This level of honestly would have been refreshing.
what do you mean? it's true, he said it

Never even heard of this game before. You are stretching here. It's nothing like buying out a well established IP like Tomb Raider.
thank you. and here

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If anyone believes that Square Enix believed this was the strategic right thing to do with the IP instead of just accepting a truck of money and compensation...

Money helps people think about decisions.

Solidsoul

Banned
This honestly seems really heartfelt and honest to me. I do not sense the regret or backtracking everyone is talking about here.

People love negativity.

Exclusivity sucks but it's a business decision and if working with Microsoft made the game better or financially easier for the company it was worth it.

RE_Player

This honestly seems really heartfelt and honest to me. I do not sense the regret or backtracking everyone is talking about here.

People love negativity.

Exclusivity sucks but it's a business decision and if working with Microsoft made the game better it was worth it.
Hilarious it has nothing to do with making the game better. The reason Square likes the deal is because they want to be profitable quicker than the previous Tomb Raider which struggled to be profitable even after millions of copies were sold.

Mikey Jr.

Well, what can I say.

I suppose it was the right decision at the time. Uncharted 4 was supposed to come out this holiday, and TR vs UC4? TR would have been slaughtered on PS4. No question. So they thought "Fuck it, we'll release on Xbone first, get some of that sweet MS cash, and avoid UC4 altogether."

Except UC4 moved and now TR is releasing on the same day as Fallout 4.

Good luck with that.

Also since the PS4 version will be a year late. How long do you think they'll sit on that finished version? 4-7+months? Doubt they aren't still making all 3 at once unless they are bad at management.

border

After the backlash for this one I highly doubt SE will do this again.

Except that they just sold out to Sony on another exclusive deal? They clearly aren't all that worried about backlash.

It depends on what state the TR franchise is in a year from now, I'd imagine. They'll probably go about announcing any deals differently though.

fertygo

Honestly I kinda get the answer, the "they showcase it side by side with Halo and Gears" part especially, that's really interesting take, sounds like they want taking gamble with one of their title with that kind of push from MS?

From business standpoint, why not?

For other multi-plat, they got Just Cause 3, Hitman and Deus Ex ready on there own. For one title let see what happened with MS help.

I think it deserved a 7/10. Which means nothing, of course. It wasn't a bad game by any stretch, but certainly didn't live up to expectations for me.
alright, fair enough. i've been playing through the game, it's the first tr game i've played and i'll say it's pretty good, but not great so far. but it is, really good.

what if the xbone version sells really well though? and the purpose of timed exclusivity, meaning comparatively lower sales of the Ps4 version, also happens?

also, I don't think SE fully realizes or recognizes the backlash that the announcement caused.
Going exclusive on the lesser sold console sounds like a great idea
with the company that has more money?

Looks at pile of money from MS.
Looks at larger pile of money from Sony.

Must have been pretty hard.
was this supposed to be sarcastic or something?

kpaadet

We’re about growing our IP, this is a long-term decision. We’re going to take Tomb Raider up to the next level.
So we're going to release it exclusively on one platform and in the process probably make it the worst selling TR in quite a while (until the other versions releases).

GnawtyDog

Banned

hand-placing-coins-on-pile.jpg

Nier 2, FFVII Remake.

4Tran

I don't think that Rogers' comments are particularly worth paying attention to since they're just PR to mollify non-Xbone gamers. However, I also don't doubt that this was a very difficult decision for Square Enix. Heck, given how Square Enix is firmly attaching themselves to the PS4 wagon, I think that this is one that they would like to take back.

Biker19

Banned
Maybe. Bottom line is MS needs something to directly compete against whatever awesome Naughty Dog is cooking up for PS4.

I still think SquareEnix is doing a great disservice to the Tomb Raider as a brand in the long run by not putting it out day and date on the world's most currently successful console (PS4).

It was competing against Uncharted 4, but Sony winded up pushing it back to Spring of next year.

This game is going to most likely get buried deep by Halo 5 along with big 3rd party AAA hitters like Fallout 4, COD: Black Ops III, & Star Wars Battlefront (unless Microsoft bundles the game with the console).

I don't think releasing on one console first will help grow the IP, even with Microsoft's marketing. Though i wonder if they will eventually bundle the game.

Yeah, someone correct me if I am wrong, but didnt it take until the Definitive Editions for the last Tomb Raider to be qualified as a success for SE. Even still, didnt last gen AND the current gen versions favor the Sony consoles?

I dont know. I mean, you have series like Danganronpa that have grown their IP on the Vita, so a niche game on a niche system. I just dont think an IP as huge and storied as Tomb Raider can go that route to grow the IP. You would think if you were to be on only one console it would be the one leading in sales, but really you should launch on all. This and some of EA's backtracking from the launch makes me think everyone expected Microsoft to be the market leader. *shrugs*

if capcom said this about sfv the reaction would be extremely different
you think the reaction would be worse? i don't think the sf5 situation is the same though. as i understand it, sony is helping to fund development, and capcom or whoever has adamantly stated nothing out of sf5 will ever go to any other platform.

Briarios

I think they're realizing now how bad it's going to hurt their sales and possible the franchise in the future. If it was coming out this year for the PS4, I'd probably fall into the hype with everyone else and pick it up. But, a year old game that will probably release at full price? Yeah, I'm not going to buy it when there will be a ton of new games next Christmas I could pick up.

I mean, the game is already a year old at that point, why not wait for it to hit the bargain bin? I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels that way.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
you think the reaction would be worse? i don't think the sf5 situation is the same though. as i understand it, sony is helping to fund development, and capcom or whoever has adamantly stated nothing out of sf5 will ever go to any other platform.

no, i'm sure that everyone would be praising sony's commitment to gaming and art

DOWN

Banned
I am pretty sure that HAZE is a better example. Sony thought it would be a good competitor of Halo and then they made it exclusive to PS3. And even worst, the game was already announced for Xbox 360

13085-haze.png

But then we get into new IP, and you'll remember that game Halo you mention was already announced for Mac when Microsoft bought into it

Except that they just sold out to Sony on another exclusive deal? They clearly aren't all that worried about backlash.

It depends on what state the TR franchise is in a year from now, I'd imagine. They'll probably go about announcing any deals differently though.

If you're talking about FFVIIR, it isn't quite the same. The vast majority of RPG players on consoles are found on PlayStation platforms. It's not like they're pulling another Last Remnant or anything

Radec

Realising the game same day as fallout 4..it's me they don't give a fuck if the Xbone version sells or not.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
And, frankly - and I know a lot of people won't like this but I'll say it - I think it can be good for the franchise and good for gaming all up, because it's a franchise that's meant something, and we're going to be able to work with them and invest and try to put the marketing and everything else at a level, and we're active in working with them on the development of the game as well, to try to make it one of those franchises that stands out.

The first part of this quote of Spencer's from the Eurogamer review never fails to make me laugh at the spin control.

However, this...

I suppose it was the right decision at the time. Uncharted 4 was supposed to come out this holiday, and TR vs UC4? TR would have been slaughtered on PS4. No question. So they thought "Fuck it, we'll release on Xbone first, get some of that sweet MS cash, and avoid UC4 altogether."

Except UC4 moved and now TR is releasing on the same day as Fallout 4.

Good luck with that.

Is the likely scenario, especially with Microsoft/Spencer admitting they were courting for a popular Action-TPS to try and stem Uncharted losses.

Though I really, really wonder how bad MS wanted the exclusivity that they were willing to go for a timed deal, instead of sealing it up.

I meant I doubt they will do another Xbox exclusive deal for Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy VII isn't even comparable since Final Fantasy is heavily associated with PlayStation and sells much better on it and Final Fantasy VII, nor any of its spinoffs have ever even been released on an Xbox console.

hand-placing-coins-on-pile.jpg

Nier 2, FFVII Remake.
Again, I was quoting someone specifically about Xbox exclusivity for Tomb Raider. Square doing Japanese games exclusive to PS4 isn't comparable to this situation in the slightest.

soul_zora

Banned
no, it is different, because like I said, haze was a new IP. tomb raider has been around, and has been multiplatform, for over 20 years. again, i am not against 3rd party exclusives, but rotr's case of exclusivity isn't one that has merit in my opinion.
what do you mean? it's true, he said it

thank you. and here

Its the same If we talking about multiplats being blocked to release in others platforms, and Haze was pretty damn obvious

I am pretty sure that HAZE is a better example. Sony thought it would be a good competitor of Halo and then they made it exclusive to PS3. And even worst, the game was already announced for Xbox 360

13085-haze.png
haze was a new game while sf, ffs, and tr have all been around for 20+ years

no, i'm sure that everyone would be praising sony's commitment to gaming and art
eh, I dunno about that, man.
Its the same If we talking about multiplats being blocked to release in others platforms, and Haze was pretty damn obvious
well that wasn't what I was specifically talking about, as I said several times that I don't mind 3rd party exclusives.

if capcom said this about sfv the reaction would be extremely different

If it was timed, yeah.

But because it ain't, Capcom/Sony are actually proudly waving it in our faces. Remember the EVO slide where they reiterated again that SFV isn't timed?

Just like marketing, half the battle is perception. Capcom and Sony has successfully managed to portray the exclusivity relationship in a positive light. Square and MS didn't.

Mugaaz

What exactly does MS passion do for making this game good? Like, I understand exclusive stuff. I don't understand what the hell this guy is talking about. Is passion a codeword for money here? Like....what exactly is the point of this statement? What is it supposed to convince me of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom