• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman ZX comes to Japan early (and we give our impressions)

kiryogi

Banned
Zyid said:
Omega? Final boss? I didn't even know a character called Omega existed!

I'm trying to keep myself ignorant about the storyline thanks, so spoiler that shit please.

Optional boss. He's from the Zero series. Its related to the carting in of z3/z4. Though you don't have to have those to face him, only for the bosses from Z3/Z4.

Amir0x

Banned
Heh. It's ****ing crazy how good some Megaman players are. Omega ****ed shit up hardcore the second time that guy played

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zyid said:
Omega? Final boss? I didn't even know a character called Omega existed!

I'm trying to keep myself ignorant about the storyline thanks, so spoiler that shit please.
Omega is in the Zero series, at least he is in Zero 3.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The reason I made the new thread is because most aren't willing to search through 5 pages and over 200 posts to see new stuff.

Zeed

Banned
Error2k4 said:
that's not a spoiler at all.
I'm being somewhat facetous.

Anyway I've resolved to stay out of these threads until the US version comes out. Two more months...damn.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, after finally doing every single quest and getting what data disks I can at this point, I've moved on with the plot! I'm up to where I can face Omega... and I've spent the last 2-3 hours on him. It's really not fun anymore! Well, maybe more like I'm too tired and my reflexes are getting sluggish. I admit though, for the time being, I've never ran into a wall like this ever in Megaman. Though, it must be noted I'm doing this with LX :D

edit: painful.. omega is...

edit 2: after tons of recklessness and 3 subtanks. I figured it out. I'm gonna do it nohit with LX later :D

TreIII

kiryogi said:
Well, after finally doing every single quest and getting what data disks I can at this point, I've moved on with the plot! I'm up to where I can face Omega... and I've spent the last 2-3 hours on him. It's really not fun anymore! Well, maybe more like I'm too tired and my reflexes are getting sluggish. I admit though, for the time being, I've never ran into a wall like this ever in Megaman. Though, it must be noted I'm doing this with LX :D

edit: painful.. omega is...

All I can suggest is to just keep working at it...O definitely was quite a road block for me as well the first 10 times I went up against him. Though I'm a bit ashamed...I used to be able to own that guy in Z3 without so much as taking a hit...now I'm actually eating like 2 of that "Shun Goku Satsu" type of move in a row when the guy actually nails me in the corner and forces me to take it up the ass from him, forcing me to administer some lube and salves (the Sub Tanks) to make it stop hurting so bad...:lol

Any way, here are some things that I thought was helpful, just a few pointers...

1) O loves his lil Shun Goku Satsu thing, and won't hesistate to use it, especially if you even stand still for a brief period. But he definitely ain't invincible when he starts doing that "shadow dash", so feel free to try and knock him out of it when you can. Charge Shots, PX's kunai, a regular buster pellet, or even a well-timed slash of some sort JUST before he reaches you are all good things to ward off that combo.

2) For the most part, you'll want to stay away from him. It may not be all that heroic to keep running, but O will own your ass seven times til next week if you try and go toe to toe with him continually. I've found that ZX and FX's regular and charge shots are good fodder for "hit and away" tactics. The other models charge attacks have much more limited use (save for perhaps HX's 1-2-3 Crescent Slash), so don't rely on them that much.

3) If you feel like you MUST get in O's grill for some reason or the other, please be smart about it. As long as he's seemingly hellbent on anally raping you, you might as well get some return favor by forcing him to take some hits from behind as well. Get in on him after he does an attack with some recovery time to it (Uppercut, Air Spin, 1-2-3 Slash or Gat-Gat-Slash, for example). For HX and LX users, I would advise you to make the most of every hit by hitting the OverDrive button, getting a hit or two in, and then get the HELL away before O decides to nail you with something (the worse being either the 1-2-3 slash or the SGS). Also, take care when getting behind O when he does the old 1-2-3...like it often does for you, the third hit can (and probably WILL) hit you if you're too close to O, even when you're behind him...

4) I would hope this would go without saying, but NEVER EVER let him get you in the corner, as he could do terrible, HORRIBLE things to you there. If you're quick enough, perhaps you could try using HX and Air Dashing away, or, on the other hand, you could try simply dash jumping. If you're out of options, it may be for the best to just run up, take the "body crash" damage, and then get away. Brushing up O isn't the best thing to do, but if you time it right, the "invincibility you get should keep you temporarily safe from some of the other stuff O could do.

5) Avoid using moves that give you a lot of recovery time (say some of the Model's charge attacks, and etc.). Even if they DO manage to hit O, chances are he'll be able to recover before you do, and he'll probably answer your attack with a SGS on the house.

6) Finally, remember, if you have a Sub Tank or some other curative item, feel free to use it whenever you can...even when you're eating the SGS. After all, while your character onscreen can do nothing save for screaming bloody murder, you can still pause the game, and use a Sub Tank or one of the other things like Candy, Bread or an Apple to cushion the blow a bit.

It's a rough battle no matter which way you go about it, but DAMN is it fun. I can't wait til I go through hard mode, after first giving Vent a quick run so that I can use Model X in it (Currently using Aile). We'll see how much O loves double barrel charge shots when we meet again...

kiryogi

Banned
Never too late for the pointers. The corner bit cannot be emphasized enough. You want to keep as much range as possible and keep outmanuevering him XD Melee is almost a nono with this guy but as shown in the video theres some brief moments you can toss some in. I need to work on rotating OIS or else I'm gonna have huge trouble with him in hard mode where he heals for even more. As it is with LX vs Omega on normal, I'm dealing really little damage XD Oh and Z3 Omega was never this lethal.

kiryogi

Banned
Okay! I just finished transcribing stuff from the ZX wiki and what I did for the subquests. Enjoy!

Subquest Guide

Talk to the people to receive the missions. However, it varies when they’ll actually offer it to you. It also seems there might be a limit to how many you can receive at a time. This guide will work for both characters for the most part, but there’s one for Vent I haven’t covered since I’m playing Aile.

--------------

Michelle (C-2, girl in blue dress)

Mission: Retrieve the miracle flower

How: Head to Area A-1 and it’ll be located above the vicinity of the entrance to A-4, requires use of HX and PX (Not sure)

Note: Make sure to deliver the flower to her to get the clear for the transerver. (unconfirmed)

Reward: 200 EC

--------------

Ton (X-1/Deck of the Guardian Base, big guy)

Mission: Purify the water in Area B-4

How: Attack the water tanks with anything to push them in.

Reward: 300 EC

--------------

Trent (X-1, 4th floor of the Guardian Base, the tall/lanky guy)

Mission: Deliver his letter to Melody

How: Melody will be located near the fountain near the east end of C-2.

Note: After clearing this at the transerver, speak to Trent to receive another mission and letter to deliver to Melody. It’s a total of 6 missions with Trent including the first former mentioned. It must be noted that Trent is writing cheesy love letters.

Reward: 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350 EC

--------------

Melody (C-2, East end near the fountain)

Mission: Deliver her letter to Trent

How: See Trent mission on where to find him

Note: This mission will only be available after you finish Trent’s series of requests.

Reward: 100 EC

--------------

Levan/Revan? (C-1 West end, near the car, guy with glasses)

Mission: Find the Cold Pearl

How: It’ll be located in F-2 inside the blue clamshell after the spikes. Use LX to reach it safely.

Note: I didn’t receive this mission until I cleared all 8. You’ll want to return the pearl to Levan/Revan before you get the clear to report to the transserver. Also, after clearing this you’ll notice that he has a girlfriend now. :D

Reward: 300 EC

--------------

Shiryuru? (X-1, old man just east of the Data Room door)

Mission: Find a mineral (forgot name)

How: It’ll be located in K-1 right before the door to the midboss. Use the Geysers to head up to where the energy capsule is. Then go left and jump over to the other side, and then walk through the wall to get it. LX should help you detect it if you don’t notice it. It’s sort of half-covered by the wall.

Note: This mission will only be available after clearing Area K. Make sure to return it to Shiryuru, and then you’ll get the clear to report to the transerver. Make sure to talk to him again to receive the next request.

2nd Mission: Unearth the Ore from the mineral

How: Head to the conveyor belts in Area E-4 and you’ll find a female guardian member there. Talk to her and she’ll do the rest for you.

Note: I’m not sure if this requires that you haven’t disabled the functionality of the area as I didn’t figure that out before hand. I’m guessing they have to be on. Make sure to give the ore to Shiryuyu to get the clear to report to the transerver.

Reward: 300 EC and Extend Chip

--------------

Angle? (X-1, tall guy just west of the Data Room door)

Mission: Find 5 screws

How: They’ll be located in Area K 3,4,5. Exact locations pending later, Use LX to help you locate them if need be.

Reward: 200 EC and Spike Wind Chip

--------------

Myuge/Rose (X-1, Myuge- nurse in the last room on 4th floor/Rose- Nurse with purple hair outside of Myuge’s room)

Mission: Find Traffic light?(unconfirmed) for Myuge and energy packs for Rose.

How: The process for this will be to talk to Myuge and receive her mission request. The item she wants will be found in Area L-1 inside a crate. After clearing that mission, talk to Rose and get the energy packs inside a crate in Area L-2. Repeat this process by talking to Myuge then clearing that and then talk to Rose again for a total of 6 missions altogether. Myuge’s 2nd item will be located at Area L-2 inside a crate.Her 3rd item will also be located inside a crate in Area L-2. Rose’s 2nd item will be located inside a crate in Area L-3. Her 3rd item will be located inside a crate in Area L-3.

Note: These missions will not be available until you have cleared Area L. I believe you need to talk to them after getting the items before you get a clear? I forget.

Reward: 150, 150, 150, 150, 150, 150 EC and a Subtank.

--------------

Roberto (C-1, old man inside the room labeled C-1 in C-1 Area)

Mission: Move the balls to the lower area

How: Go into the door above him then just move the balls down the lower section as you would in the soccer minigame or with the witch elf in Prairie’s room.

Note: I didn’t receive this mission until I cleared all 8 and did a series of others

--------------
(Aile Only)?
Arsia (C-2, the little girl with the dog)

Mission: Find her shimeji (mushroom?!)

How: You’ll find it near the midway door to the 2nd half of A-2. Return it to her and she yells at you that shimeji is her bird! (Fun play on words) Head back and the bird should be near the spinning blades. I don’t recall if I found it on the ground or it was from destroying the blade.

Note: You receive the spike ice chip in this subquest. However this quest is possibly Aile only. Vent will receive the chip through a different subquest. Make sure to return the bird to Arsia to receive the clear.

Reward: 200 EC and Spike Ice Chip for Aile

--------------

Congarl? (X-1 4th floor, first door, the scared guardian member)

Mission: Cut the grass on the roof!

How: Use HX to scale the roof of the buildings in C2. You’ll notice little grass growing on top of them. Slice them up!

--------------

Hide and seek kids (Not sure how I got this, I believe it’s triggered with rescuing the dog in Area G)

Mission: Find the kids.

How: You’ll need to head to the portion of Area G where you had to rescue everyone from the fire. Then you’ll need to find these kids in this particular floor order and make sure you’re in human form when talking to them: 7F, 5F, 7F, B1F in the lower right corner, and right outside the door to the 8 floor area (climb up above to find him).

Note: After clearing this mission, make sure to talk to the first boy you see starting from the west end of C-1 in ROCKon state to receive the Frog Chip.

Reward: ? (I forgot)

negitoro7

kiryogi said:
Did everyone just miss my post about the X1 highway and isn't posting emulator shots sorta bad? Also, no one here realizes the significance of why the models have said abilities? Oy.

Go here to see neat animations of the Double Rock-ons in action in the model section:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman_zx/main.html

It must be noted that the models are basically giving you the Shitennou abilities. I feel a bit insulted about my previous ZX posts being ignored with all these sudden discoveries of the abilities. :/ I'll probably give a run by summary of what/whos here later in here when I get the chance.

Maybe it's already been said, but the models on this page really reminds me of Virtual On. HX looks like a green Viper, FX looks like Raiden, LX looks like that Ice robot in VOOT.

I've never really played a Mega man game, but I am very very intrigued by this game. I just sold my blue DS fat last week, maybe I'll pick up a DS Lite when this game releases in North America.

Edit: LX has ****ing Ice Dragon projectiles? Okay, along with the other characters, this game is definitely "inspired" by Virtual On. I've always wanted a 2d sidescrolling VO game, this might be the closest I'll ever get.

agent069

Banned
Ok, I finished it in easy and I'm in the middle of the game in normal.

As a Megaman Zero fanboy I'm a little decieved they retrieved the ranking, and the metroidvania doesn't really works with the mission system,for exemple you choose between a mission that takes place in Area E and Area F, you don't know where they are and you choose Area E, you wonder around and eventually you find Area F then you have to get back to a save point a lose a lot of time:lol

Besides these points, the game is absolutely awesome, the 6 character are damned well balanced and they're all fun to use. Even LX which is supposed to be a water only character is usefull because of his item scan, and she's got a long rand spear that deal a lot of damage, characters are basically balanced as fallows : they are either powerful but with limited mobilty or very agile and have less powerful weapon that shoots quickly (like PX machine-gun-like shuriken or PX's infinite combo sword). The level design is pretty cool, not as great as Megaman Zero 4, but very varied, and besides the backtracking there are quite a few stuff hidden here and there, and they're a lot of teleporter too, not to mention that the gameplay is pretty fast paced.

The boss battles are pretty cool too, and the difficulty is pretty well balanced so far, in easy you just lose damade if you wall in a bottomless pit or touch spikes. But in normal you die, and boss have new attacks too.

Another great plateformer for the DS, I can't wait for the enfglish version so that I can understand the plot and the sub missions. I love you Capcom, see you next year for the inevitable sequel :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I much preferred DDS to Nocturne, but it's very clear that SMT3 is a far more interesting and novel game experience.

Oh and this was just announced on NCS' site this morning...

rockman_complete_works_shop.jpg

Writeup:

Capcom is accepting preorders for an E-Capcom exclusive book which collects the illustrations of Rockman Zero from his debut in the Rockman X game circa 1993 to the recent Rockman ZX. To provide color on the Rockman series, the book also features an interview with creator Keiji Inafune on his inspiration and goals in creating the popular series.

The book is A4 size (8.27ױ1.69") and spans 176 glossy pages. Preorders are expected to ship on or around August 9, 2006. Due to the special arrangements required to import this book, NCS setting the price at US$45.

Grifter

agent069 said:
As a Megaman Zero fanboy I'm a little decieved they retrieved the ranking, and the metroidvania doesn't really works with the mission system,for exemple you choose between a mission that takes place in Area E and Area F, you don't know where they are and you choose Area E, you wonder around and eventually you find Area F then you have to get back to a save point a lose a lot of time:lol

:( I want this but I hate wasting time when I should be having fun.

Bebpo

Banned
Brandon F said:
Oh and this was just announced on NCS' site this morning...

rockman_complete_works_shop.jpg

I wish NCSX's shipping charges weren't so outragous when on the west coast :\ $60 for a $20 artbook is pretty steep. Hmm.... :(

So far (about 3/4 through easy mode) this is probably the most enjoyable Megaman game I have played. I feel like I'm probably missing a few details though. Is Fleuve's lab really the only place to spend energy crystals? It seems like there are far more crystals than there is use for them if so.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
could be because you are playing on easy I don't remembe getting a lot of energy crystals in Normal

TreIII

Sabaku Ika said:
So far (about 3/4 through easy mode) this is probably the most enjoyable Megaman game I have played. I feel like I'm probably missing a few details though. Is Fleuve's lab really the only place to spend energy crystals? It seems like there are far more crystals than there is use for them if so.

Well, if you care, the "Game Center" in the city also uses your Crystals to play any of the mini-games you may unlock as you play. There's also lil things such as being able to buy an "E-Can" (which is basically the E-Tank from the original Rockman series) from the Red-headed guy that's in the bottom level of the Guardian Base, all the way to the right. (re: Keep talking to him until he asks you a question, and say "Hai", the two letter response, to get it).

But otherwise, the meat and potatoes of your E Crystal spending will be at the Live Metal Repair shop. You may not feel the sting now in Easy, and probably won't in Normal either...but come Hard Mode, the cost of repairing a Live Metal costs 10 TIMES as much as it does usually for the different levels, meaning you could spend upwards of 17000 crystals total (for ONE Live Metal max repair!) if you suck and keep getting Level 1 finishes on Bosses.

So, my advice to you now is...if you haven't already, work on getting better finishes, so that you can spare your poor wallet when it comes to Hard Mode. Besides, I hate to break it to ya...but there's NO "new game +" stuff here...

I've been getting mostly lvl 2 (sometimes higher) finishes. So 'repair' is just to make up for weak finishes and serves no purpose if I get lvl 4s?

TreIII

Sabaku Ika said:
I've been getting mostly lvl 2 (sometimes higher) finishes. So 'repair' is just to make up for weak finishes and serves no purpose if I get lvl 4s?

Yep, more or less. As I said though, while they offer a nice "cushion" in the lower levels, be prepared to be weaned off of it come "Hard Mode". :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Pastry said:
I'm pretty sure that PSP game could have been on the DS, and that other DS game probably should have been on the PSP.

Something like that or all of those games on the psp would be better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
neojubei said:
wow this game should have been on the psp

So it could have faux 3D and lose all the neato touch screen extras? **** off.

Soul4ger

Wow this game would've been better with obnoxious loadtimes and clumsy 3D graphics. And poor control response, due to crappy hardware design. FTW! :lol

Fireblend

Banned
Sorry for bumping the topic, but I read it whole and I can't find the answer to a question that may decide if I get this or not. How long is this? And how replayable is it? It would be great if someone with the game could answer this. Thanks!

kiryogi

Banned
Fireblend said:
Sorry for bumping the topic, but I read it whole and I can't find the answer to a question that may decide if I get this or not. How long is this? And how replayable is it? It would be great if someone with the game could answer this. Thanks!

7-10 hours the first time. Replaybility is offered in the forms of 2 characters, and a hard mode.

Top Bottom