• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: Zero Dawn video showcases volumetric cloudscapes and timelapse

In their SIGGRAPH 2015 presentation based on the real-time Volumetric Cloudscapes in Horizon Zero Dawn, Principal FX Artist Andrew Schneider details their methods for rendering the clouds in Horizon Zero Dawn, also explaining the importance of them in an open world game.

According to Andrew, their aim with Horizon Zero Dawn was to create an open world game where the players can “traverse large distances.” This was obviously a challenge for them considering their track record with the Killzone series.

“In the past, Guerrilla has been known for the KILLZONE series of games, which are first person shooters, ” said Andrew in the presentation. “FPS usually restrict the player to a predefined track, which means that we could hand place elements like clouds using billboards and highly detailed sky domes to create a heavily art directed sky.”

Source Gearnuke

Full PPTX/PDF presentation

Video

Gif by Guymelef

myorkjznjr.gif

Tell the little one im sorry if this is old.

DavidDesu

Impressive. I've still yet to see an open world game that lets you pick how fast the day/night changes happen. I would love an open world game let me experience real time, or even X2 speed, rather than the 30X or whatever games like Skyrim and GTA operate at. Let me choose so I can literally go hunting all day or all night long, in real time, without 10 day/night cycles happening..

EDIT: In case people think the speed of the changes here are what will be in the game, obviously I know it won't be THAT fast, lol. But I expect it will be highly speeded up liek every other game.

Hastati

Impressive. I've still yet to see an open world game that lets you pick how fast the day/night changes happen. I would love an open world game let me experience real time, or even X2 speed, rather than the 30X or whatever games like Skyrim and GTA operate at. Let me choose so I can literally go hunting all day or all night long, in real time, without 10 day/night cycles happening..

EDIT: In case people think the speed of the changes here are what will be in the game, obviously I know it won't be THAT fast, lol. But I expect it will be highly speeded up liek every other game.

This is a good idea, rather than just anchoring the in-game time to your local time.

Script

Neo Member
Man this game is good looking, I really like how at night time you can see stars in the sky. Most games I've played just have a black sky at night with some clouds.

Yup. They confirmed weather. She even says "A storm is coming... and I will be ready" in the trailer.

While the developers already confirmed weather. In the case of Aloy's statement, pretty sure she wasn't being literal. It's a figurative statement, she's saying something will come/change that will disrupt the people's current daily life and she'll be ready for that change.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Guerrilla really seems to be thriving on the tech side on PS4. They did great work last gen but KZ2 took them five years to get out and was only used in KZ2 and KZ3. As long as Horizon doesn't get delayed, by the end of next year three games will have shipped with high fidelity and lots of modern tech, all in different genres and with different goals while many of Sony's other studios will have only released a single game. Really great work, especially since those games have all had solid performance as well. A small external studio being able to use their internal engine to great results speaks well to it's workflow and ease of use as well. If they can pull off going from linear to open world games with this sort of fidelity and hopefully smooth performance I'll be really impressed.

Lets hope it better than Shadow Falls....../shiver

LOL

Shadow Fall's rain is so funny considering everything else holds up. Does Until Dawn have rain?

viveks86

That could also be a metaphorical storm. But yeah, they did confirm weather.

No monsoon no buy

While the developers already confirmed weather. In the case of Aloy's statement, pretty sure she wasn't being literal. It's a figurative statement, she's saying something will come/change that will disrupt the people's current daily life and she'll be ready for that change.

They show storm clouds, lightning and rain while she is saying it, so she means it both figuratively AND literally.

"Look at all this amazing stuff our engine can do!*"

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

Joke post? I mean live gameplay demo even of an early build looked fucking incredible. That was with creatures, AI, etc.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

All running on PS4. Unless you say that person at SIGGRAPH is a liar.

Top Bottom