• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: Zero Dawn video showcases volumetric cloudscapes and timelapse

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Look at all this amazing stuff our engine can do!*"

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

The clouds take 2ms of render time on the PS4. This is from a SIGGRAPH presentation, not a marketing project. Besides, Guerrilla has been very good about accurately showing footage of their games this gen.

HORRORSHØW

Power of the Clouds don't cast shadows. No buy.
91sn32Qb.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

Ehh, Guerrilla uses an in-house engine, so I'm pretty sure the engine only runs on a PS4 SKU.

Melchiah

Yeah, just like Shadow Fall was visually downgraded for the release.
[/sarcasm]

Looks great

I just hope Guerilla games don't fall for the amateur thing of making a exaggerated big empty world and concentrate more on making it more compact and alive. With robo predators and robo herbivores and tribes I think a really good AI is going to be extremely important.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They missed on a potentially glorious opportunity to make some riff about how their clouds don't require The Cloud.
They are tech people.

They probably think the the ability to offload computation to a remote server ("the cloud") is interesting.
It's just when it comes to marketing that this gets fucked up and overplayed and then turned into 40x the power!

Wut.....

Damn that looks. I want this game so much.

DavidDesu

When this game comes up I always realise 5 minutes later I'm whistling the music from the trailer. Such a great theme, and if that's a hint of the quality of the game overall, great graphics, great music, and an ambitious take on open world gameplay... I must say I'm hyped.

Ricky_R

While the developers already confirmed weather. In the case of Aloy's statement, pretty sure she wasn't being literal. It's a figurative statement, she's saying something will come/change that will disrupt the people's current daily life and she'll be ready for that change.

There's a big ass storm coming her way on screen when she said that.

Salty with a side of butthurt.
If you watched the reveal trailer it clearly says captured from a PS4.

galvenize

You picked the wrong studio to throw that out man.

Watevaman

Hopefully this tech is furthered by other developers. Most people don't think to look at the sky but it really adds a lot.

They detail how it's possible to have them in the game. Computing the whole sky takes more than 20ms (which makes it impossible to use in the game). So they render some portions of it (1 pixel in each 4x4 pixel block) in quarter res, and re-project where it makes sense, where it doesn't they use the new low res buffer.

With this they got the time down to 2ms, so it's now perfectly possible to use in the game.

kyser73

I have more confidence in a 1st party dev with a proven track record in tech to deliver this quality at a stable 30 than one working on outside their DX11 comfort zone and across 3 platforms.

Looks like another open world where I'll find a nice high spot and just watch the world go by, same as GTAV.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well the final game obviously didn't look as clean as those absurdly high res screenshots we got.

Most people go by footage and not the press bullshots. Shadow Fall improved between reveal and release. It's especially obvious on the forest stage shown at E3 2013. Huge improvements in lighting from E3 to TGS and the final build added fog.

Yarbskoo

Most people go by footage and not the press bullshots. Shadow Fall improved between reveal and release. It's especially obvious on the forest stage shown at E3 2013. Huge improvements in lighting from E3 to TGS and the final build added fog.

I don't go by either. Only the final release copy matters.

Visuals look like something that would come from a linear game and not open-world games, which usually are not as impressive visually compared to linear. Looks so good!

Yarbskoo

Why not? If you think it is relevant to this thread then it should be posted.

Honestly, I don't think any of this particular tangent is really relevant to this thread.

It was never said, that it would run at 3840x2160. The game looks just the same as it did at the PS4 unveiling event in February 2013.
And the final release looked great. Point is that the game wasn't downgraded, on the contrary.

Bullshots is bullshots. That's all I'm sayin.

Melchiah

Bullshots is bullshots. That's all I'm sayin.

And how exactly are promotional über hi-res bullshots related to this SIGGRAPH video showcase? Apart from the infamous E3 2005 CGI video, their games have always matched the pre-release presentations.

Top Bottom