• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: Zero Dawn video showcases volumetric cloudscapes and timelapse

Yarbskoo

Then I don't understand what your point was by posting that shot.

It doesn't really matter what you "go by". The point is that this developer, along with damn near every other dev out there, has released press materials that aren't really representative of what the game actually looks like. I'm sure Zero Dawn will have beautiful clouds, but if the discussion is "does this developer have a history of showing potentially misleading screen captures", then the answer is going to be the same for this developer as it will for just about any other.

Guys, I'm not trying to imply that this particular footage is intentionally misleading. I was just making a comment of a reply to a post that wasn't particularly on topic in the first place. I'm not trying to make a big point here about how Guerilla games is trying to scam us. The post you guys are jumping all over is just a half-assed commentary about the relation between pre-release materials and the final product.

myorkjznjr.gif

Is this real, or from the video?

Hoje0308

Banned
It doesn't really matter what you "go by". The point is that this developer, along with damn near every other dev out there, has released press materials that aren't really representative of what the game actually looks like. I'm sure Zero Dawn will have beautiful clouds, but if the discussion is "does this developer have a history of showing potentially misleading screen captures", then the answer is going to be the same for this developer as it will for just about any other.

That video is a screen capture? Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: Has anyone actually been caught displaying any kind of misleading footage at a tech conference like this?

low-G

Still think DriveClub might be the most impressive. One time driving during cloudy weather and a great sun ray shone through the clouds in the distance. Looked absolutely photo realistic, and it was completely dynamic.

Also -- people skeptical of this? C'mon son. Get on dat PS4. We've had high level shit for a while now.

Stillmatic

You don't compare gameplay with press bullshots. Bullshots are made for a whole range of purposes out of control of the developer, so they create them at higher resolutions. They're not meant to be completely representative of IQ, usually they're just high res versions of the game with super AA.

Comparing gameplay/direct captures to gameplay/direct captures, KZ:SF had a large upgrade graphically.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Still think DriveClub might be the most impressive. One time driving during cloudy weather and a great sun ray shone through the clouds in the distance. Looked absolutely photo realistic, and it was completely dynamic.
Dynamic clouds casting shadows and lightly or fully obscuring sunrays gives the whole environments much believability.

Of course I don't know what other things they could have used instead of the 2ms frame time they are at at the moment but I really like the this part.

This has been confirmed to be in game? I do not know if I could believe it... god damn Open World games be getting more insane with weather graphics.
In-engine written in PSSL and C++ running on PS4. The game is not done yet so in-game would be a dumb way to term this by them.

I was under the impression that one reason for supersampled and big hi-res screen shots in press materials is because native res doesn't scale down well for printing, but I might be wrong.
This is also what I remember. But things get shared and original association is lost. Marketing should have learned their lesson by now.

This has been confirmed to be in game? I do not know if I could believe it... god damn Open World games be getting more insane with weather graphics.

kyser73

I was under the impression that one reason for supersampled and big hi-res screen shots in press materials is because native res doesn't scale down well for printing, but I might be wrong.

Anyway, thread derailer on ignore now.

While the developers already confirmed weather. In the case of Aloy's statement, pretty sure she wasn't being literal. It's a figurative statement, she's saying something will come/change that will disrupt the people's current daily life and she'll be ready for that change.

Did you forget this bit at the end of the trailer? Rain, lighting... Big storm cloud?
horizon-zero-dawn-screenshot-7-510x0.jpg

Anyway, those skies are amazing... Could watch all day.

Melchiah

You do realize, that press material is always high resolution for printing? That's not something that only happens in the gaming industry.

What really matters, is that all their previous pre-release gameplay and game engine video presentations have been matched at release. And this thread is about a video showcase, not promotional hi-res images. As was the discussion, that was started by this post. Nowhere were static screen captures mentioned.

"Look at all this amazing stuff our engine can do!*"

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

yencid

That slideshow is a great read, even if I don't understand all of the more technical aspects of it its easy enough to understand.

Kalentan

And how exactly are promotional über hi-res bullshots related to this SIGGRAPH video showcase? Apart from the infamous E3 2005 CGI video, their games have always matched the pre-release presentations.

Maybe it's just me... But I thought Killzone 2 looked better than the CGI, which looked 'off' in a lot of places. Honestly the only thing that I think was better in the CGI was the clouds.

Hope they fix that frozen foliage issue. Really noticeable.

As much as I love the Witcher 3, when a breeze hits I do feel the forests are made out of slinkies, so with that I hope GG don't go too far with foliage animation. We've seen there is with Aloy, and I'm sure there will be when a storm brews too.

Isn't this just showing the cloud tech anyway? Other stuff was shown in separate slides?

hesido

Probably demoed on PC and won't be in the final version of the game because once we add AI, characters, interaction and all that other stuff that makes a game the PS4 couldn't handle it.

It takes 2ms on a PS4. It's being used (in heavily artist controlled form) in the trailer.

benzy

The clouds shown here are much more versatile and complex than what is in DC, and I'm a big fan of DC's clouds. :p

Look's fantastic that. Completely off-topic but I can't help but imagine what GT7 trailers will look like after this.

I think Polyphony has already been teasing.

bkxu4x.gif

kyser73

Hope they fix that frozen foliage issue. Really noticeable.

In some ways I hope they don't. Moving foliage in Witcher and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture looks like there's a permanent gale - the only good representation of it I've seen this gen is in TR;DE, which uses TressFX to generate a more naturalistic swaying than the frenzied swinging you see in Witcher (for example).

I'd sooner have static foliage rather than something that looks like comedy.

Melchiah

Maybe it's just me... But I thought Killzone 2 looked better than the CGI, which looked 'off' in a lot of places. Honestly the only thing that I think was better in the CGI was the clouds.

I haven't watched the video in years, but I recall the fire & smoke effects, and animations being noticeably better in the CGI.

Yarbskoo

You don't compare gameplay with press bullshots. Bullshots are made for a whole range of purposes out of control of the developer, so they create them at higher resolutions. They're not meant to be completely representative of IQ, usually they're just high res versions of the game with super AA.

Comparing gameplay/direct captures to gameplay/direct captures, KZ:SF had a large upgrade graphically.

You do realize, that press material is always high resolution for printing? That's not something that only happens in the gaming industry.

What really matters, is that all their previous pre-release gameplay and game engine video presentations have been matched at release. And this thread is about a video showcase, not promotional hi-res images. As was the discussion, that was started by this post. Nowhere were static screen captures mentioned.

I don't really see how an absurdly high res screenshot is any less misleading than, say, absurdly high res "in-engine" or other footage, but otherwise I agree with you that this isn't particularly relevant to the thread. Like I said, you guys are going all in on a single sentence and a picture. I'm not really invested here.

hesido

I haven't watched the video in years, but I recall the fire & smoke effects, and animations being noticeably better in the CGI.

There were things that the realtime gameplay did better than the CGI, so there's that.

Btw, about foliage - I don't think they'll be static in the game.

As for the cloud shadows, this is still in progress, they may find some headroom to do the shadows on world geometry. They can always approximate and cut corners there... The shadows do not even have to be precise to fool us, as opposed to how the clouds look themselves.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As for the cloud shadows, this is still in progress, they may find some headroom to do the shadows on world geometry. They can always approximate and cut corners there... The shadows do not even have to be precise to fool us, as opposed to how the clouds look themselves.
Even regular object and geometry shadows in The Witcher 3 aren't very accurate. They are good enough for the common case and optimizing the common case is what it's all about.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They have plenty of time. Hopefully foliage in Horizon isn't ever as active as it is in Witcher 3.

As much as I love the Witcher 3, when a breeze hits I do feel the forests are made out of slinkies, so with that I hope GG don't go too far with foliage animation. We've seen there is with Aloy, and I'm sure there will be when a storm brews too.

Isn't this just showing the cloud tech anyway? Other stuff was shown in separate slides?
Trees irl don't react very favorably to really strong winds. The foliage can be quite sutble as well. Clouds cast shadows too, though they don't look as good as in this demonstration.

In some ways I hope they don't. Moving foliage in Witcher and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture looks like there's a permanent gale - the only good representation of it I've seen this gen is in TR;DE, which uses TressFX to generate a more naturalistic swaying than the frenzied swinging you see in Witcher (for example).

I'd sooner have static foliage rather than something that looks like comedy.
Take a look at the video I just posted.

Melchiah

I don't really see how an absurdly high res screenshot is any less misleading than, say, absurdly high res "in-engine" or other footage, but otherwise I agree with you that this isn't particularly relevant to the thread. Like I said, you guys are going all in on a single sentence and a picture. I'm not really invested here.

There are 99 slides from the presentation, that tell how they were able to do it on the PS4, plus a video that's linked in the OP. I don't really see why any of these should be considered misleading.

After playing a stupid amount of Driveclub that was the first thing I noticed missing. It is astonishing how much of a difference it add to the atmosphere of a game. It would also be good if they could get the clouds interacting with the top of the mountains as well.

Driveclub will have been doing this for 2 years when Horizon launches

RUlHfFI.gif

9b8.jpg

I swear every PS4 exclusive goes through the denial stage. "Sony is lying! It can't possibly look like that!"

People just mad their favorite open world game looks last gen in comparison.

Yarbskoo

There are 99 slides from the presentation, that tell how they were able to do it on the PS4, plus a video that's linked in the OP. I don't really see why any of these should be considered misleading.

They shouldn't. I never said they should. I'm not even talking about this game. That's why I said this whole tangent is off topic.

I agree with you that this isn't particularly relevant to the thread.

Guys, I'm not trying to imply that this particular footage is intentionally misleading.

Honestly, I don't think any of this particular tangent is really relevant to this thread.

One guy said Shadow Fall wasn't downgraded. I said here's some pre-release material I think was misleading. That's all there is to it. I'm not trying to imply anything about what we've seen so far about this game has been intentionally misleading. I'm not trying to strengthen RadioActiveLobster's post or anything like that, because I think it was a dumb post just like everyone else does.

kyser73

Trees irl don't react very favorably to really strong winds. The foliage can be quite sutble as well. Clouds cast shadows too, though they don't look as good as in this demonstration.

Take a look at the video I just posted.

Yeah, but that was...

Captured with Nvidea (sic) Shadowplay. Using 980 GTX in SLI and a resolution of 2560x1080.

...and IMO while the trees sway nicely, smaller foliage still looks weird on on the PS4 - grass tufts and sods for example don't so much sway as veer wildly around in 3-4 animation frames, and I assume they're 2d sprites as well rather than 3D models.

As I said, TR:DE does it really well on PS4. GTAV from what I remember, and Black Flag, which after DC has the best weather in any current gen game IMO - the rain feels wet IYSWIM.

I fully expect some kind of foliage motion and shadowing by the time the game releases like other posters, but I'm generally of the opinion that if it can't be done without making it look weird, don't do it at all.

@Canis Lupis - goddamn DC looks SO FUCKING GOOD in timelapse.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, but that was...

...and IMO while the trees sway nicely, smaller foliage still looks weird on on the PS4 - grass tufts and sods for example don't so much sway as veer wildly around in 3-4 animation frames, and I assume they're 2d sprites as well rather than 3D models.

As I said, TR:DE does it really well on PS4. GTAV from what I remember, and Black Flag, which after DC has the best weather in any current gen game IMO - the rain feels wet IYSWIM.

I fully expect some kind of foliage motion and shadowing by the time the game releases like other posters, but I'm generally of the opinion that if it can't be done without making it look weird, don't do it at all.

@Canis Lupis - goddamn DC looks SO FUCKING GOOD in timelapse.
There isn't a difference in the way weather and foliage works on each platform. Assets are the same last I checked. Witcher 3 has the prettiest forests i've ever seen in not only open world games but also in general from any game i've played. Nvidia shadowplay is a capture software btw, also what does IYSWIM mean? Movement>no movement in every case btw, an open world game with a shit ton of foliage would not age gracefully.

Depends on which games we are talking about. AC Syndicate certainly looks last gen compared to Horizon.
No it doesn't, asset wise they're not as far apart as you would think.

Tripolygon

Banned
Are people forgetting what last gen looked like, WTF is with these Horizon makes ----- look last gen?

Horizon is an improvement, a step forward to what we have seen since the start of this gen. Some of these games you are saying Horizon makes look last gen cannot be done on last gen hardware.

Top Bottom